Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Sunday 27th January 2019

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jan 27, 2019, 5:04 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #1 of 8 (4287 views)
Shortcut
Sunday 27th January 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stafford & District @ Knighton Sports Club. (F&N). KO 10:30. Crowd 8.

Woodseaves 1 v 1 Woolpack United

Pleasant rural location, on a nice day but today, perched on the top of a hill in a howling gale, not so great. The club used to be the Premier Foods social club but with modernisation, there are only a few staff now employed at the large factory close by so the club is open to all. The old tea bar by the half way line was put to good use as the lifted the flaps on the front which provided shelter and several of the crowd stood inside to watch the match.

In truth not a great game, the wind blew across the pitch and the surface wasn't good either. The visitors took a first half lead and the home side leveled mid way through the second period. Fair result on the balance of play.

A thirty five minute drive took me to my afternoon entertainment in Sedgley.

Beacon League second Division @ The Dormston Centre. KO 14:00. (F&N). Crowd 10 (Tim Count). Pitch Grass/3G !!

AFC Sporting Gornal 1 v 3 Trysull Tigers.

Just one pitch here which was mainly grass but had 3G 6 yard boxes! No football furniture and another game in very strong cross winds but at least it stayed dry for the whole game spent in the amiable company of Tim once again.

The visitors scored first but conceded before half time. Tigers were definitely the better side in the second half and fully deserved their win with a couple of good quality goals. Both sides tried to play football and did well considering the conditions.

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 27, 2019, 5:40 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #2 of 8 (4229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Sunday 27th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at:

AFC Sporting Gornal 1 Trysull Tigers 3 (Beacon League) Att: 10 h/c f&n

Good company as ever from Dave, and as he says, a more than decent game, far better than last week's abomination. Three fine strikes from the visitors.

The Dormston Centre is right in the middle of Sedgley and just across the playground, I could see my old infant school. Can't remember a thing about it.

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Jan 27, 2019, 7:12 PM

Post #3 of 8 (4104 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Sunday 27th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hereford Lads Club 1 Welland 1

Widemarsh Common: Mid West Counties League

With rain having fallen yesterday and overnight, this match was played on a Widemarsh Common pitch rather than the host's main ground on the County Ground, which was used by the men's West Midlands (Regional) League team yesterday. Widemarsh Common is a historic sporting venue in local circles as it was graced by W G Grace and his brothers when Gloucestershire's cricketers faced Herefordshire in the late 19th century. Sadly, cricket is no longer played here, since the demise of Hereford Lads Club cricket section a few years ago, but the historic cricket pavilion does remain. The home team came into the match in third place in the table after enjoying a 3-2 home win over Droitwich Spa Belles last weekend. Welland found themselves one place off the bottom of the league but enjoyed a 2-1 League Cup victory at Meadow Park last Sunday to boost their confidence ahead of this trip. The underdogs opened the scoring in the 15th minute when a Welland forward ran on to a through ball and lifted a first-time 20 yard shot over the head of the home custodian. Hereford Lads Club levelled the scores six minutes before the interval, and that is how it would stay until the final whistle, when a low shot on the turn from the edge of the penalty area beat Sophie Ross in the Welland goal.

2018/19 Statistics
Goals: 584
Matches: 129
New Grounds: 15

tigerman48
Youth Team Star

Jan 27, 2019, 9:56 PM

Post #4 of 8 (3848 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Sunday 27th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

campeonato de Portugal PrioTaça

SC Coimbres 0 Paredes 1
Admission 8 euros
Programme N/a
Beer 1 euro
Attendance approx 500

A weekend trip to Porto with the wife gave me a chance to see a game in a new country.

Full report in International Hopping

New Grounds 2019/20 :28
Total Games :38
Total Goals : 113
Av Goals Per Game : 2.95
Last new Ground: 27/11/19 Dover Athletic 3 Maidenhead United 4
LAST NEW WETHERSPOONS -1008 Rainham

hemelhopper
First Team Star

Jan 27, 2019, 10:10 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #5 of 8 (3822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tigerman48] Sunday 27th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whiteley 2-4 Gosham Rangers (Gosport, Fareham and Solent Football League, Division 1)
- played at Meadowside Recreation Ground, Whiteley Village (behind the Leisure Centre / Outlet Shopping area), Whiteley, Fareham from 10.30am

Att – 10; Entry free and no prog or refreshment
Weather – sunny with a strong cross wind
Travel – M275 and M27
Colours – Whiteley in red tops and white shorts .. Rangers in blue tops and black shorts

Another Sunday .. another enjoyable game at a recreation ground .. this one having three pitches, with the main event on Pitch 1 (no furniture .. just bench seats) .. younger folk were skipping about earlier on the others .. the cross wind affecting all and used much better here by the visitors, who kept sending curling crosses into the goal mouth for the keeper to catch, spoon etc .. which he did on one and missed a corner on another .. add a couple of great strikes and this one was over by half time with Rangers up 4-1 .. the hosts scoring first and last, each from the edge of the six-yard box .. leaving both Clubs still filling the bottom two slots of this ten Club league .. at start of play both only having a point for their season's effort .. so now apart, the minus 52 goal difference may hamper Whiteley after this game .. whilst Rangers improved to minus 47 .. but I'm sure both will come back stronger next time.

Grounds = 638, Leagues done = 15 (37 to go); Games (19/20) = 102; New Grounds (19/20) = 82; Goals (19/20) = 441; Ave goals/game = 4.32; Last new ground = Bourton Rovers; Next = Tues 10th Dec 2019

mxhornet
First Team Star

Jan 28, 2019, 7:41 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #6 of 8 (3566 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelhopper] Sunday 27th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sprowston Ladies - 10 Fakenham Town Women - 0
Norfolk Women's & Girls League Cup Quarter Final
Sprowston Recreation Ground
Attendance - 25ish
No admission charged or programme issued

Played at Sprowston Rec rather than Sprowston's normal home venue of Blue Boar Lane due to Sprowston Athletic's County Cup game postponed from last week taking priority, after being frozen off last time that game was off due to waterloging yesterday, no such problems at the Rec.
I had expected a much tighter game with Fakenham Town going so well in division two and Sprowston having an average season in division one. FT had just 11 players and were missing several of their better players. Early on they made a game of it despite going a goal down after 6 minutes and even after conceding a penalty (scored) 26 minutes in they still seemed to have a chance but heads started to drop after another two goals before half time. Sprowston made it 5-0 early in the second half and a flurry of 4 goals 8 minutes midway through the second half then another late goal completed their 10-0 victory. The score seemed quite harsh on FT for whom I seem to be a jinx I've seen both games they've lost this season and I've not seen them score either.
As for the Rec the main change since I last visited was that the only senior pitch is now at 90 degrees to the two previous pitches I've seen games on.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

codofthenorth
First Team Regular

Feb 1, 2019, 12:12 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2728 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Sunday 27th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Blackburn Ladies 4-2 Sheffield Ladies....FANWL...Adm £4

Took in Rovers Ladies game against Sheffield at Irongate, south of Preston. Fylde ladies were also at home this afternoon but being able to walk round the whole ground rather than just the Main Stand at Mill Farm swayed it for me.

Rovers werent their fluent self but they still won with ease. Sheffield made it a bit harder for them second half pulling it back to 4-2. Blackburn remain top by a country mile and if they win the League they will be invited to apply for promotion. Whether they are accepted is another matter, they turned down promotion a few years back and the Promotion Interview Board may have long memories.

No obvious changes at Irongate, catering always pretty good and the pitch held up well despite being used the day before by Bamber Bridge. Parking always a bit tight here, so parked in Matalans and took the short stroll under the train track to the turnstiles.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 4, 2019, 3:36 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #8 of 8 (474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tigerman48] Sunday 27th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Portugal, Campeonato de Portugal, Group D (3rd tier of Portuguese football) 3 pm

Clube Oriental de Lisboa 0 Vasco da Gama Vidigueira 0

Entry – can’t remember (probably 6 or 7 euros)

No paper other than the match ticket (which wasn’t bad for this level)

Crowd – c. 250

This was the first ever daytrip I had ever made to the Portuguese capital, although I have in the past made two or three Sunday daytrips to Porto. I flew out on the 09.55 Easyjet flight from Luton and returned on the 21.15 Wizz flight to Gatwick. You might think that an arrival time of around 12.45 pm in Lisbon is cutting it fine, and you may be right but this match was being played at a ground only about three miles from the airport, and with the airport now being on the metro system, I knew that getting there in time for the kick-off would not be a problem unless the flight was delayed by more than one and a half hours. The flight arrived in Lisbon more or less on time, but instead of walking to the ground, I decided to take the metro instead, mainly because I wanted to tick the newly built part of the network. Lisbon has changed a lot since my first visit there in 1993-94. At that time, the nearest metro station to the airport was about three miles away and the bus journey I took from the airport to the city centre took me past a shanty town, although it was nowhere as bad than the type you would find in Third World countries. Also, the Oriente main line railway station, which is only two miles from the airport, had not yet been built in 1994. But Lisbon in 2019 is now a city comparable to others in western Europe in terms of housing, public transport and new, modern football stadiums.

Clube Oriental play at the Campo Engenheiro Carlos Salema, rua Jose do Patrocinio, in the Marvila district of Lisbon. This is only 12-14 minutes walk from the Bela Vista metro station, although when I exited the station I was faced with a very confusing road layout and it took me a good few minutes to work out from my map which was the correct direction to walk. As things were, I arrived so early that I almost wished I had walked all the way from the airport in order to save the metro fare! The ground is fairly typical for this level of Portuguese football, perhaps slightly better than most. There is a main stand running the full length of one side, with a cantilever roof providing cover for most of the six rows or so of the concrete terracing underneath it. The stand also has a row of unglazed private boxes at the back of the seating area, as is commonplace with older Portuguese grounds. The far side, plus one end of the ground, also has about six steps of terracing. All the steps are quite large and are very colourful, being painted red, yellow or white. There is no spectator access behind the east goal, with the changing-rooms being located in the north-east corner.

The match finished in a goalless draw, which was annoying given that this was an expensive daytrip abroad, but I then had to endure a similar experience a month later! (see WDYG for 24/02/2019) However, it was not a bad match, with both sides hitting the woodwork (Oriental did so twice, in fact) in the first half. A home player was sent off early in the second half, but the visitors did not take advantage of this and their finishing was poor, with several shots going high or wide. After the match, I walked back to the airport and this did not take much more than 45-50 minutes or so if I recall correctly. There was a problem at the airport when my print-at-home boarding pass did not scan properly at the entrance to security, and I was told to go to the check-in desk to sort it out. Fortunately, Wizz were very helpful and gave me a replacement boarding pass free of charge. I wonder if Ryanair would have been as generous?

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Nov 4, 2019, 3:37 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3