Saturday 19th January 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

richiejenn
First Team Star

Jan 20, 2019, 9:11 PM

Team(s):

Post #51 of 72 (5696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 22nd January 2019 @3pm
EFL League One
GILLINGHAM 0-3 WALSALL
Priestfield Stadium
Attendance: 3,975

One tame shot on target halfway through the second half was all Gills could muster against an average Walsall side. Cook took his hat-trick well with 2 far post headers and a near post tap in but all three lacked any close defending.

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Jan 20, 2019, 9:58 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #52 of 72 (5577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richiejenn] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Conference South

Clarence Park, St Albans

St Albans City 1(1) Woking 1(1)

Yellow Shirts / Blue Shorts Red & White Shirts / Black Shorts

Attendance 1017

Admission 15 Programme 2 Badge 3.50

Hot Dog w Onions 3.50 Half Pint of 3 Brewers Classic English Ale 2

The previous evening's snow which had threatened to maroon me in S35 had thankfully gone by Saturday morning allowing me to head down the M1 to Hertfordshire. Despite the 20+ miles of road works around MK, I made good progress and was parked in St Albans station car park (2.80 all day Saturday) by just after 13:00. The ground is a short 10 minute walk from the station located in the park from which it gets it's name. The ground is terraced on three sides with cover on the side opposite the main stand. The old wooden seated stand runs the length of the pitch. The clubhouse is located behind the stand with a bar (keg only) upstairs. In one corner at the York Road of the ground is a well stocked club shop and just in front of the shop was an alfresco cask ale bar serving the local 3 Brewers Brewery ales (Golden, Blonde & Classic). Not cheap at 4 a pint but very quaffable!

Going into this game the visitors sat in second place in the table and the hosts were just outside the play off places. The first half started slowly but came to life in the 31st minute when, according to the announcer, David Moyo gave Citythe lead with a shot that went in off the far post. Accoring to the report in the NLP this morning Solomon Sambou is credited with goal. Five minutes later the Cards were level when Jack Cook got on the end of a poor clearance to fire home through a crowded box. After the break the visitors had the best chance to take all three points but Greg Luer saw his penalty shot well saved by City keeper Dean Snedker. From a neutrals point of view a draw was a fair result.

AV1960
Youth Team Sub

Jan 21, 2019, 12:37 AM

Team(s):

Post #53 of 72 (5251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheffgeoff] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

EPWORTH TOWN COLTS (0) 0 SUTTON ROVERS 2007 (0) 2
DONCASTER & DISTRICT F.A.CHALLENGE CUP ROUND TWO
AT SOUTH AXHOLME ACADEMY
F&N, ATTENDANCE: 19 (H/C)

With Epworth playing in the Central Midlands League Div One North, a high number of their visitors are reserve sides so this was an ideal opportunity to tick the ground with first team opposition as the visitors.
The ground was thoroughly described by Dave 56 following his visit on 15/12/18 but, unlike him, I didn't need to resort to sheltering under the trees as the day thankfully remained dry. This is indeed a basic ground being a roped off pitch on the back of a school but, as observed by Dave, they do have their own facilities separate to the school.
Sutton Rovers arrived riding high in the league but, on a bobbly pitch, the even first half finished 0-0. Although Epworth headed for the warmth of the dressing room at half time, Sutton Rovers remained on the pitch listening to their manager's words of wisdom. These clearly had an impact as they then took control for fifteen minutes, scored on 60 and 61 minutes and that was that. Not that I was too worried as the thought of extra time on a freezing cold day wasn't too enticing.
It appears that this competition must allow rolling subs as the Epworth No.9 found himself in the unusual position of being substituted twice in the same game.
No problems on the roads with the only snow being spotted when passing Tibshelf services on the M1. The 1.30pm kick off meant that my 92 mile journey home was completed as "Sports Report" was giving us their 5pm reading of the day's results. A very strange feeling indeed to be home so early on a Saturday!

Witton Ender

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 21, 2019, 8:37 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #54 of 72 (5036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AV1960] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bognor Regis Town 2 Potters Bar Town 2, Isthmian League Premier Division, Att: 520, Admission: 12, Prog: 2

After a night and morning of heavy showers on the South Coast and my first choice at Gillingham Town had fallen foul of the conditions it was a toss up whether to head west with a 3G back up at Plymouth Marjons or east with a similar fall back option at Lancing and chose the latter, finally pitching up at Bognor Regis about an hour before kick off. Having been relieved of 12 for a step 3 match for the second time this month (what is the world coming to?) the game proved to be a slow burner but actually quite enjoyable. The home side, in the last of the play off places, were the better side in the first half, but only had one goal to show for their efforts. When they were awarded and despatched a penalty soon after the break it looked like they were cruising to victory but took their foot off the gas too early and lowly Potters Bar hit back with goals on 64 and 74 minutes, indeed they maybe should have clinched all three points such was Bognors late lethargy. Bognor's ground is very low-rise and has changed little since I called in for photos about 20 years ago. The only addition is an odd plastic looking roof over the clubhouse end terrace and some additional seats alongside the main stand, presumably to satisfy ground graders. At least it was another potential 3G day avoided.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

andy smith
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 21, 2019, 10:10 AM

Team(s): The Pars

Post #55 of 72 (4839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No thermals required here neither, out of the cold breeze it was pleasant standing in the winter sun...

Wenhaston United 0 (0)
Leiston St. Margarets 2 (2)
F & N

Not a great game, Leiston scoring their goals inside the opening 15 mins...

ciderjon
First Team Star

Jan 21, 2019, 10:24 AM

Team(s):

Post #56 of 72 (4819 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tonyrefail Boys & Girls Club 2 Blaenrhondda 1

South Wales Alliance Div 1
Attn 26 f + n
Status: 2nd revisit, required for change of pitch, no overlap.

The pitch change here actually happened a few years ago allowing a 3G caged pitch to be built over most of the former area. When I visited earlier in the season, to see Red Valley play on the 3G, I realised I had rather forgotten that I needed to make a return visit.

The current pitch BGC use is pretty much enclosed with metal fencing. It is fully railed off and has dugouts and a shipping container acting as a shed.The teams change in the Leisure Centre about 200 yards away.No weather problems here today and the pitch played well.

I was pleased to be able to reacquaint myself with Blaenrhondda.Most posters will have seen them as their ground is pretty much a required visit.When we went we picked apples at half time and Mrs Ciderjon cooked a 'football pie'. There are only 29 sports teams in the entire world i have seen more than them. Ever.

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

CitizenGeorge
Junior Team Sub

Jan 21, 2019, 1:21 PM

Team(s): Chelsea, Winchester City

Post #57 of 72 (4520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Winterfield Road, 4th visit
Southern League Division 1 South
Paulton Rovers 0...Winchester City 1 (Mlambo 35)

Admission: 9
"Winterfield Whopper": 3.50
Chips: 2

Winchester City came away from a tough away venue with all three points following a dominant performance. Simba Mlambo's lob in the 35th minute was the difference between the two sides but the visitors would have been out of sight by half time had it not been for the home keeper. A second Winchester City goal was ruled out for deliberate handball and a stoppage time save from City keeper Ryan Pryce saw the points head back to Hampshire and City move up to seventh.
Paulton Rovers are perhaps the only side in the division to give their signature burger a name (even if it is just a double cheeseburger). Winterfield Road is an interesting ground, the clubhouse is well furnished with a large bar, but the clubs location in the Mendips (close to the old Somerset & Dorset Railway through Midsomer Norton) means that the pitch is on a slight slope and one end is elevated above the goal.

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Jan 21, 2019, 5:32 PM

Team(s):

Post #58 of 72 (4179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CitizenGeorge] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Horwich St Marys Victoria 1-1 Mill Hill St Peters....West Lancs Div 2....Adm F&N.....Cuppa 1

With the weather a bit iffy, didn't venture too far but managed to get a new ground in so that was a bonus. Horwich St Marys Victoria had popped up on the radar this season in the West Lanc's League. I phoned the Club Secretary who was kind enough to return my call. It was game on and no problems with the pitch.
I wasn't expecting too much from the ground in terms of facilities but with Horwich the leaders playing the second bottom I thought I'd at least get a one sided game with goals by the bucket load.
Wasn't long before I was coming off the M61 by Bolton Wanderers ground and closing in on Horwich.
The ground is tucked away in a bit of a dip with acres of land. There's a decent sized new Clubhouse with refreshments facilities available, the bar is in the planning stage.

The pitch is roped off down both sides with decent sized dugouts and the pitch flat and level.
The first half was quite an even affair which Horwich just shaded. It was 0-0 at the break and I was left wondering what had happened to the massacre I'd been expecting. Mill Hill are advertising for a Manager for next season on the West Lancs website.

The second half saw the deadlock broken on 65 minutes when Matty Woods scored a peach of a free kick into the top right corner...superb. The Secretary Stuart had given me the heads up on this player before kick off. A slightly built player but full of fancy flicks, he did stand out from the rest.
We had a few handbags swung second half as the game warmed up but it shows they care.
Hopes of a hatfull of goals to follow with the deadlock broken weren't realised.Mill Hill were awarded a penalty on 78 minutes which Callum Newton dispatched straight down the middle to level things.

It'd have been hard on either side not to get something out of the game, but I'll watch Horwich SMV with interest to see how they fair
for the rest of the season.

A 'dry' day out Bolton way, a stones throw from Rivington Services on the M61, (home of Chorley FM) ....no problem either with the parking in the ample sized car park. A friendly welcome and a decent game.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

bagman
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 21, 2019, 8:46 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #59 of 72 (3949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thurlow Nunn First Division North

Diss Town (3) 5 v 0 (0) Haverhill Borough

Admission 4 OAP, Programme 1.50, Attendance 93

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Grounds 2018/2019 Season = 23
Last New Ground : Diss Town 19th January 2019

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 21, 2019, 10:32 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #60 of 72 (3833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Having had a couple of days to calm down (a bit), I thought I ought to post a report that's a little more thorough than that earlier reaction to...

In Reply To
League One
Oxford United 2-1 Portsmouth

Entry: 26
Attendance: 8,202

Well done to Oxford United, who played very well as a team, including several quite excellent individual performances. Wolves-loanee Jordan Graham performed like the Premiership player he so obviously is - an astonishing find. Meanwhile, midfielder James Henry put in another colossal shift - this guy has been carrying the rest of the team on his shoulders all season, and is the main reason why Oxford still have the realistic chance of staying up. If there is any justice, they'd give him the club's player-of-the-season trophy now and get it over with. Really though, every Oxford player played their part in a hard-fought victory to win a valuable three points.

Despite all the deserved praise, however, what the local media in Oxford has failed to point out is quite how awful Pompey played. Their players arrived over-confident but carrying an odd formation into the match - Brett Pitman was dropped to the bench before coming on for the last half-hour, while Jamal Lowe seemed forever out of position. There seemed a lack of desire as well as a lack of understanding as to what other teammates were doing - a lack of control on the ball, too many hoofs upfield, no urgency, and (with the exception of Pitman's brilliant overhead goal) no glimmers of skill whatsoever. At 2-1, there was a series of four or five 50/50 balls in midfield with Oxford's players winning every single one, each time seeming to turn a Pompey attack into a lightning Oxford breakaway. They didn't score from any of them, but it raised the crowd, helping to create possibly the best atmosphere I've seen in seventeen years of frequenting the Kassam Stadium. On top of that, whatever idiot posted last season's Alex Mowatt penalty miss on the official Portsmouth twitter-feed did no more than gee up the home players - the fool ought to be moved sideways onto car-park attending duties immediately.

Despite still being top (just), I'm pretty certain that the Pompey bubble has already burst, and that it's only a matter of time until chasing sides catch us up (though Sunderland seem determined to take their time over it). The very good Andre Green being recalled back to his parent-club Aston Villa will be difficult to replace. Performances probably peaked at Fleetwood before Christmas - since then it's been a lucky late win against AFC Wimbledon and now two defeats. Our next league fixture is away at Luton Town who are on an amazing run, their 4-0 stuffing of Peterborough on Saturday being their twenty-first league match without defeat.

At this rate, Pompey won't be going up and Oxford won't be going down and I'll be back down the Kassam Stadium watching even more of this pain this time next year...

bd
Youth Team Regular

Jan 22, 2019, 8:15 AM

Team(s): Swindon Supermarine and Reading

Post #61 of 72 (3648 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern League Premier South
Harrow Borough (0)1-(2)3 Supermarine
Usual matchday duties

Very much enjoyed my first trip to Harrow. Very friendly boardroom and the food afterwards was superb! Great game by Supermarine as we continue our staggering climb up the table towards those playoff spots! We're finally really clicking as a team and a number of ex-Gloucester City players are really contributing to that who have dropped down from Conference South to play for us as well as a couple of old Football League Pros and players who have stepped up from our promotion team last season.
Noted the Bread Pudding on sale from the refreshment bar, but current diet permitted that, but saw a number of our fans devouring squares of it as we often have it at our own ground on matchdays!
Team Coach had a few problems getting out at the end of the road causing a few traffic problems and going up the wrong side of the traffic island as we turned right coming out the end of the road from the ground!
All in all a good day out.

auchinleckian
Youth Team Star

Jan 22, 2019, 11:50 AM

Team(s): Auchinleck Talbot; Grimsby Town; Wales (rugby and football)

Post #62 of 72 (3517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bd] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

AUCHINLECK TALBOT vs AYR UNITED Scottish Cup 4th round.

15 entrance, programme 3, attendance 3,100.

Our BIG day, and boy did it not disappoint. Our first ever televised live game at the ground, combined with our first ever all ticket home game saw a bumper sell out crowd of 3,100 cram into Beechwood Park for this keenly awaited all Ayrshire derby match. There's only 14 miles between the two towns.

Ayr were second in the Championship whilst Auchinleck were theoretcially four leagues below them in Western Junior Super League. Some of you will have seen the game live, or the highlights, and it's been extensively featured on the BBC News programmes so won't bore you with the details but beating Ayr United was undoubtedly the biggest occasion ever seen at Beechwood Park.

The bookmakers got it horribly wrong. In the previous round Ayr beat Beith (also from our league, but lower down the division than ourselves) and the bookies had Beith at 12/1 to win, and Ayr won 3-0. For this game BET 365 and Paddy Power both Talbot at a mouthwatering 14/1 - where realistic odds of 4/1 or 5/1 would have made much more sense, especially as we've had only one defeat in the last 29 games and were on a 9 game winning streak, Ayr hadn't won for 5 games, and we have an undoubted big match mentality and compact ground.

My miserly 20 outlay saw me 300 better off at the end of the game, along with many hundreds of other Talbot fans who weren't going to look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth.

Hearts next round, and unfinished business there going back to 2011-12 when we wrongly had an equaliser chalked off for offside in the 96th minute. We'll have our huge away support with us again on the day and expect over 3,000 to make the trip. EEKA PEEKA PUKKA PO.

pilgrim46
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 22, 2019, 1:11 PM

Team(s): Plymouth Argyle, any non league team in Devon & Cornwall

Post #63 of 72 (3419 views)
Shortcut
Re: [auchinleckian] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

League 1
Plymouth Argyle 2-1 Coventry City (0-0 H/T)
Att 10686 - Admission S/T - Programme 3 - Bovril 2.50

This was the best game I had seen at Home Park for several seasons. Coventry were fantastic for the first 30 minutes & a mauling looked on the cards for Argyle. They should have been at 2 up in this period but for 2 great saves from Argyle keeper Letheren. Coventry appeared after this which let Argyle back into the game & the rest of the half was end to end action but somehow no goals were scored. The 2nd half carried on where the first half finished with both teams attacking each other but neither keeper would be beaten. That changed on 55 minutes when one of Argyle's nemesis Conor Chaplin scored with a brilliant free kick. The visitors were in control after this but the turning point came on 62 minutes when Mark Robins took off their number 11 who had been causing Argyle all sorts of trouble all afternoon & 1 minute later Ruben Lameiras scored the equaliser. Coventry weren't the same after this & argyle pressed on & deservedly got the winner 7 minutes later thanks again to Lameiras. The atmosphere created by both sets of fans was fantastic & you could see how the home crowd really spurred argyle on. There were a few close calls near the end as Argyle got deeper & deeper but they held on for a great win. Victory over Walsall tonight & we'll be out of the bottom 4 for the first time in a while.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 22, 2019, 3:33 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #64 of 72 (3282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [auchinleckian] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

The bookmakers got it horribly wrong. In the previous round Ayr beat Beith (also from our league, but lower down the division than ourselves) and the bookies had Beith at 12/1 to win, and Ayr won 3-0. For this game BET 365 and Paddy Power both Talbot at a mouthwatering 14/1 - where realistic odds of 4/1 or 5/1 would have made much more sense, especially as we've had only one defeat in the last 29 games and were on a 9 game winning streak, Ayr hadn't won for 5 games, and we have an undoubted big match mentality and compact ground.

My miserly 20 outlay saw me 300 better off at the end of the game, along with many hundreds of other Talbot fans who weren't going to look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth.

Dunno if they were unaware of the kick-off time but some bookies were still offering 14/1 at half-time when the score was still 0-0.

It was a bit like taking candy off children.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Jan 22, 2019, 3:34 PM)

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Jan 22, 2019, 10:45 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #65 of 72 (3068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As Buncranaboy has mentioned, also at White Ensign 2 v 1 Wormley Rovers, it was good to meet up with a number of people i had not seen in a while and have a good old natter through the afternoon.

I was considering visiting here for a midweek fixture, but a lack of these meant a Saturday visit and i let the train take the strain, a day return from Burgess Hill was priced at 24 odd with Network Railcard discount however a travelcard to Upminster and day return to Basildon from there came in at 16.30, Basildon Sporting Village is about 25 minutes walk from the station, but 100 bus from the bus station is every 15 minutes and stops across road at B & Q though you do have to cross a busy dual carriageway.

Thankfully did not partake in the expensive refreshments and whilst the game was not the best quality, it was made up for by the quality of those who attended, a good day out all round.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 23, 2019, 10:12 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #66 of 72 (2678 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

THE TAYDAL STADIUM, NORTH ROAD
BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT 2 FOLKESTONE INVICTA 0

A revisit here, but what a contrast to my last trip, when only the clubhouse offered any form of cover!
It is now a very attractive venue Smile

Disappointing start from Invicta put them two behind, something from which they never really recovered. Frown

A pleasant sunny afternoon with fish and chips by the water.
A swift journey back via Alresford was most welcome as it turned chilly.

643 GROUNDS - Milton Keynes Robins (61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

hemelhopper
First Team Star

Jan 27, 2019, 9:42 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #67 of 72 (2234 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hemel Hempstead Town 1-1 Hampton and Richmond Borough (National League South)
- played at Vauxhall Road, Adeyfield, Hemel Hempstead from 3.0pm

Att 415; Entry season ticket (14 incl prog the norm); Cuppa for 1
Weather quite pleasant
Travel A3, M25 and M1, all free flowing
Colours Tudors in all red .. Beavers in white tops and black shorts

Not the best of games and a deserved result for both sides .. so, we just absorbed the ninety minutes chatting about summer holidays, how other teams are faring and possible transport arrangements if we happen to replay against Solihull Moors in the FA Trophy .. although we did notice scaffold cover has gone up over the hospitality balcony (two storeys clad portacabins), up top end .. so, some weather protection for the guests in the coming games .. oh and the main stand seems to be extending, with a separate cover over terracing .. yes, the New Year continues develop down Vauxhall Road.

Match report - http://www.hemelfc.com/teams/3808/match-centre/1-3615031

Grounds = 618, Leagues done = 15 (37 to go); Games (19/20) = 76; New Grounds (19/20) = 62; Goals (19/20) = 337; Ave goals/game = 4.43; Last new ground = Hants FA at Winklebury, Basingstoke; Next = Thurs 17th Oct 2019

royals26
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 31, 2019, 10:15 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #68 of 72 (2096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelhopper] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Evostik Southern League Division One Central

Pack Meadow

Coleshill Town 1-2 AFC Dunstable

Adm: 8.50 Prog 1

Att: 89

Directions/Facilities: M40 - M42 N jn 6 - A45 E then N on A452 N for about 3/4 mile to sharp left turn onto Packington Lane.
- follow this round back south and then east under the main road - stay on the windy country lane for about 2 1/2 miles - eventually crossing above the M6 and on, until the Football club is clearly visible off to the right.

Plenty of Parking alongside the ground. they've recently re-tarmacked the main car park inside the gate.

Medium-sized cozy bar at far corner - two seated stands opposite each other on half way - not much more cover. Badges available on request. Ground still under development - this is their debut season at STEP04 - has a lot of temporary buildings dotted about including the boardroom.

Match: bitterly cold conditions and visitors were too big and too well drilled to allow the hosts many favours - edged it by one goal; but in truth were far better on this showing. The Colemen looked a bit lightweight and may have had only two 6' plus players at most - so were very vulnerable at set pieces.

No major issues with the roads - back home not long after 19:00

WTFCsecretary
Junior Team Sub

Jun 12, 2019, 9:33 AM

Team(s): Wombwell Town

Post #69 of 72 (586 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Wombwell Town 0 Ardsley Athletico 1 (HT 0-0)

Programme 1 (a very tidy eight-pager)

I had an interesting chat with the aforementioned programme editor. Alan usually does 35 copies per game. They are run off on a home printer. For this match, owing to printer problems (it was unaccountably slow), he did 26. Cost of 35, including ink and paper, is about thirty quid. They generally sell out (sorry, Youngster), providing a small profit of a fiver. Not that Alan's bothered. Compiling Wombwell's programme is a labour of love, he said. Judging by another official's comments, it is a labour very much appreciated by the club.

Recently joined the forum and inevitably searched the history for posts on my club, Wombwell Town. Came across this excellent review from a game we all want to forget.

Firstly, thanks for calling me a Youngster. At 36 I don't get that too often.
Secondly, the cost of 30-35 for the programmes is for the whole season and in the end we made very good profit, despite playing the final five home matches away from the Recreation Ground.
Finally (sorry for nit picking), I'm not just the programme editor, but the Secretary, Treasurer and all things media at the club.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 12, 2019, 11:00 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #70 of 72 (554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WTFCsecretary] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Wombwell Town 0 Ardsley Athletico 1 (HT 0-0)

Programme 1 (a very tidy eight-pager)

I had an interesting chat with the aforementioned programme editor. Alan usually does 35 copies per game. They are run off on a home printer. For this match, owing to printer problems (it was unaccountably slow), he did 26. Cost of 35, including ink and paper, is about thirty quid. They generally sell out (sorry, Youngster), providing a small profit of a fiver. Not that Alan's bothered. Compiling Wombwell's programme is a labour of love, he said. Judging by another official's comments, it is a labour very much appreciated by the club.

Recently joined the forum and inevitably searched the history for posts on my club, Wombwell Town. Came across this excellent review from a game we all want to forget.

Firstly, thanks for calling me a Youngster. At 36 I don't get that too often.
Secondly, the cost of 30-35 for the programmes is for the whole season and in the end we made very good profit, despite playing the final five home matches away from the Recreation Ground.
Finally (sorry for nit picking), I'm not just the programme editor, but the Secretary, Treasurer and all things media at the club.

Good to hear from you again, Alan. I remember you mentioning your other roles. Where would non-league football - or most other sports - be without such dedicated volunteers? Incidentally, I'm not so old I regard everyone under 40 as a youngster! Youngster is a fellow poster (hence the capital Y) who believes printed programmes have had their day. Without success, I tried to discover what happened in the aftermath of this abandonment. What action, if any, was taken?

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jun 12, 2019, 11:01 AM)

WTFCsecretary
Junior Team Sub

Jun 12, 2019, 11:06 AM

Team(s): Wombwell Town

Post #71 of 72 (545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Long live programmes I say! Volunteers are the lifeblood of Non-league football.

Ardsley were awarded the points to save the game being replayed. Both clubs received fines and two of our players (the one who started it and the keeper) got bans. It ended up being our only league defeat.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 12, 2019, 11:08 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #72 of 72 (540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WTFCsecretary] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Long live programmes I say! Volunteers are the lifeblood of Non-league football.

Ardsley were awarded the points to save the game being replayed. Both clubs received fines and two of our players (the one who started it and the keeper) got bans. It ended up being our only league defeat.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a fair outcome.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3