noprogs
First Team Star

Jan 19, 2019, 4:05 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 72 (12485 views)
Shortcut
Saturday 19th January 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Morley T 3 Wortley 2
Yorkshire Amateur League, championship ( level 2)

Cba travelling far today, so opted for a very local 3g at Batley sports centre, where I've seen Howden Clough play on various pitches, indeed their reserves were at home today on one of the grass pitches.
Morley led via breakaway goals in the opening minutes of each half, only to be twice levelled midway through. Morley's winner came from a quickly taken free kick in the last five.
If anything Wortley were the better side, at least potentially, and had they concentrated on playing rather than arguing should have won.
Hard to have any sympathy for them, more for the referee having to endure a feisty game which should have been more enjoyable than it was.

(This post was edited by noprogs on Jan 19, 2019, 4:15 PM)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 19, 2019, 5:30 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #2 of 72 (12429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wombwell Town 0 Ardsley Athletico 1 (HT 0-0)
Abandoned after 68 minutes owing to a mass brawl
Sheffield County Senior League, Division Two (2pm kick-off)
Free admission
Programme £1 (a very tidy eight-pager)
Attendance 66 (h/c)
Tea (in a card mug) £1, raffle £1

This derby ended prematurely amid chaotic scenes. Referee Carl Wallace, handicapped by lack of assistants, had little option to abandon the game when, in the 68th minute, players from both teams became involved in a mass punch-up. It appeared to be instigated by a Wombwell player, Nathan Kendrick, who, having been fouled, threw several punches at an opponent walking away from their tangle. Things escalated seriously when Wellers keeper Sam Leigh, clearly an individual with a worryingly short fuse, ran 60 yards to launch himself, fists pumping, into the melee. Even when the referee had abandoned the match, Leigh, shirt off, attempted to goad Ardsley players into a one-on-one fight. I guess the Sheffield & Hallamshire FA will sort this mess out once the referee and both clubs have submitted reports.

My view is that Wombwell, unbeaten in the league, and finding themselves down to 10 men and behind on the scoreboard, simply let their frustrations get the better of them. The referee didn't have a great game but then neither did most of the players. Usual story: footballers at this level make schoolboy errors virtually every time they go near the ball yet, bizarrely, they expect the match official to be word perfect throughout. Wallace had irked the home players by red-carding Matty Powell a minute before half-time. The Wellers full-back was deemed to have been the last man when he fouled an Ardsley attacker bearing down on goal. Wallace's opinion of the incident wasn't shared - rightly or wrongly - by the home contingent. Wombwell, who squandered several good chances during the first half, fell behind in the 49th minute. A corner from the right was prodded into the net via the inside of the near post. Two minutes later, the visitors No 6 was fortunate to avoid a sending-off after a poor challenge on Ryan Smith. Referee Wallace satisfied himself with brandishing a yellow card. Again, an unpopular decision. Ardsley goalkeeper Jonathon Davis pulled off a simply stunning triple save in the 54th minute to deny, in quick succession, Smith, Luke Norbury (the division's 19-goal leading scorer) and George Westwood. Think Jimmy Montgomery and then some. An encounter increasingly ill-tempered, tensions ramped up by Ardsley's blatant timewasting, finally boiled over in dramatic fashion. I've been watching football since 1971 and I can't recall being at a match abandoned because of players fighting. In the aftermath, Alan Percival, Wombwell's secretary and programme editor, tweeted the following: "On behalf of Wombwell Town FC, I would like to apologise to spectators for the incident this afternoon that lead (sic) to the game being abandoned by the referee on 68 minutes. All matters concerning the incident will be dealt with in due course." The tweet was later deleted!

Away from the completely unnecessary aggro, recently-formed Wombwell Town, top of the league's Second Division, are making a decent job of their first season. Over the years, several teams have represented this former coal mining town in the dreary Dearne Valley (one of Yorkshire's foremost armpits), though none have stayed the course. The last Wombwell Town folded in 2002 with debts of £40,000. Chatting, pre-match, to home officials, it's clear the Wellers have their sights on the Northern Counties East League. Their ground, Wombwell Recreation Ground, isn't far off the required standard. The dressing rooms need enlarging and £20,000 worth of seats will have to be put in the stand, a modern-looking, 50-yard shelter over a few steps of terracing. A single-storey, red-brick building at the near end contains the dressing rooms and a two-room clubhouse, where booze, refreshments (including pies), a match programme and lapel badges can be purchased. Since moving in, Wombwell have replaced several bulbs to bring the floodlights up to something like scratch. Unfortunately, the pitch - lumpy, bumpy and sticky this afternoon - is surrounded by a weed-riddled cinder running track of a quality so poor Wombwell Athletic Club prefer to train at superior facilities in nearby Barnsley. In this league, spectators are permitted to stand next to the pitch along the roped east touchline, nearest the remains of the abandoned Mexborough-Barnsley railway line. I doubt this would be allowed in the NCEL. South Yorkshire Kart Club have their racing circuit at the far end. Go-kart meetings are staged on the second Saturday of every month. For safety reasons (principally, the threat of a stray football landing on or near a speeding go-kart), Wombwell cannot play at home on those dates.

I had an interesting chat with the aforementioned programme editor. Alan usually does 35 copies per game. They are run off on a home printer. For this match, owing to printer problems (it was unaccountably slow), he did 26. Cost of 35, including ink and paper, is about thirty quid. They generally sell out (sorry, Youngster), providing a small profit of a fiver. Not that Alan's bothered. Compiling Wombwell's programme is a labour of love, he said. Judging by another official's comments, it is a labour very much appreciated by the club.

Wombwell Recreation Ground is on Station Road (the station, Wombwell Central, shut in 1959), close to the site of the South Yorkshire Sports Stadium, now covered with industrial units. The stadium opened in 1928 for greyhound racing then staged speedway in 1929-31, 1947-48 and 1964-65. Wombwell Colliers raced in the National League Third Division in 1947-48. During the mid-Sixties, the track was used for practice. Apparently, England internationals Eric Boocock and Ray Wilson practised at Wombwell. Stock car racing took place at the stadium in 1954. The last greyhound meeting was in 1957.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jan 19, 2019, 10:47 PM)

Atavistic
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 19, 2019, 5:53 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #3 of 72 (12363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern League Division 1 Central
Yaxley 0 Cambridge City 4

Attendance: Around 120, at a guess (official figure not up on the Southern League's useless website yet)

After a promising performance on Tuesday night, this was an abject disaster from our perspective as we were thoroughly outplayed and well-defeated by Cambridge City.

We had an early chance to take the lead when an excellent aerial ball from Joe Butterworth set Matt Sparrow through on goal, only for the keeper to make a good save to keep it out. That was about as good as it got for us in the first half, as after that it was complete Cambridge domination. They took the lead in the 12th minute, a free kick into the box reaching the free head of Ryan Sharman to make it 1-0. It was then 2-0 seven minutes later when a cross reached the head of the unmarked Josh Oyinsan.

At this point, it already seemed like a case of how many more they would score, but for much of the rest of the half they wasted a lot of good chances, while limiting us to the occasional counter-attack. Still, they eventually got a third on the brink of half-time, a terrible James Ward pass intercepted in the middle, setting through Oyinsan to place his shot under James Blake to score.

The second half saw us slightly adjust the formation and this generally led to a marked improvement: we started to look a little more defensively resilient and even started getting some attacks together (even more so once Tom Waumsley came on again), although at this point it was too little too late. For the most part, Cambridge were defensively solid enough to stop most of our efforts, and they didn't need to push forwards as much due to the three points already being well secure (they still pushed forwards on occasion and could have easily scored another three or four, though).

The game came alive again late on when Cambridge City made it 4-0 in the 82nd minute through another Oyinsan header (at least someone was marking him this time, even if it proved ineffective) to complete his hat-trick. We then pushed to at least get a consolation and had several late chances, most notably from Sparrow cutting into the box several times. However, each time he tried to pass rather than shooting, and each time the chance was wasted.

So, this was a definite contender for our worst performance of the season (certainly up there from the games I've seen, although nowhere near as dreadful as Kidlington), as we barely competed at any points in the game. Granted, we had a few key players missing (Ross Watson injured in the warm-up, Charley Sanders suspended and John-Paul Duncliffe unavailable), but we still should have at least put up more of a fight than we did.

More concerning to me is the fact that we've honestly been pretty poor in every league game since the Dunstable win, and that shows in how we've scored just 2 goals in the 5 games since then, while conceding 13. This is also now our longest run of the season without a league win (5 games), and with performances as they currently are and, considering some of the teams we've got coming up in early February, it's hard to see us picking up many more points in the next month or so. I don't like being negative like this, but after a terrible performance like this it's very difficult not to be.

2019/20 stats (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 11 (Most Recent: Aldershot Town)
Games: 20
Goals: 65
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.25
0-0s: 1

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by Atavistic on Jan 19, 2019, 6:00 PM)

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 19, 2019, 6:12 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #4 of 72 (12297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Needed to stay local and plan A was Astley and Tyldesley to recomplete the Manchester League. Once that was off I was looking at 3Gs until a quick phone call confirmed a game on grass on an unvisited ground just four miles from home ....

2pm
Lancashire & Cheshire Amateur League, Division One
Swinton 1 Dom Doyle 3 (att 12)
Free admission, no progs

The standard of football in this match was probably better than I'd have seen had Astley and Tyldesley not been postponed. Dom Doyle (a club set up in memory of a youngster murdered in Denton in 2015) are unbeaten in the league and on this showing it was easy to see why. They've got some very talented footballers and they're prepared to put a shift in.

They had to work hard to see off a decent Swinton team, who looked better than their mid-table position. The sides were evenly matched in the first half, until Dom Doyle went ahead thanks to a brilliant free kick seconds before half time. They doubled their lead at the start of the second half, and despite Swinton getting one back it was the visitors who scored the game's final goal.

Swinton have their own ground at Barton Road, with plenty of club signs on display and facilities that mainly cater for their many kids' teams. There's a single senior pitch, on the far side of the playing field from the pavilion and car park. I assume the venue was previously a cricket ground, given its layout and shape.

Words and pictures at https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...ton-v-dom-doyle.html

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Jan 19, 2019, 6:35 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #5 of 72 (12197 views)
Shortcut

Evo-Stik League Division One West
Atherton Collieries 8 (eight) Kendal Town 0
Admission by season ticket
Attendance 258

Not often you’ll see a side concede goals and habetheir goalkeeper as man of the match, but the lad between the sticks for Kendal made enough saves - and good ones, at that - to stop the score being doubled. The odd thing was that it was quite a tight game in the first half with Colls only going 2-0 up on the stroke of half time with Kendal having a man sent off on 20 minutes, a straight red for pulling back Tom Bentham who would go on to score a remarkable six goals in this game and was even able to miss a penalty!

Bovril on as fine form as the team. Top drawer. Up the Colls.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Jan 19, 2019, 6:39 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #6 of 72 (12165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National League

Eastleigh 3 Sutton U. 2

admission £15/£12 programme £1 attendance 1872
10th v 4th
Excellent game at the Silverlake today - the visitors played some good stuff but the home team just edged it with a late goal. All five goals were avoidable from a defensive point of view.
A competitive beginning, and the hosts drew first blood after 9 mins. A corner was re-crossed and took a big deflection; the ball looped off the bar to the far post where Boyce scrambled it in. Shortly after a good move from Eastleigh saw Green put in one of several good crosses from the left, McCallum met it in the the centre, and Worner made a great save to pish the ball over the bar. Sutton's first effort was a decent free-kick from Davis on 21 mins, just over the bar. Up the other end and Green's great cross saw McCallum, under pressure, head wide. Ex-Spitfire Williams then beat the offside trap but his touch to round the keeper was slightly too strong and the ball was cleared. Toure was strong up front for the Us and he fashioned himself a shooting chance which was just wide. Another ex-Spitfire, Beckwith, then headed just over as the visitors looked dangerous. They equalised on 42 mins as Toure ran through again, this time the touch round the keeper was too weak, Johnson had ample time to clear but didn't and Toure slid in to rob him and score. Another Green run down the left saw him put into a powerful shot which Worner did well to push round the post, just before half time at 1-1.
Sutton began the better after the break and Eastmond ran clear before he was blocked well by Jones. The battle between these two in midfield was worth watching. Dobson's long shot then took a nasty bounce and home keeper Southwood did well to adjust. From the corner Thomas headed wide. At the other end Worner then made a good save from Wynter, and Yeates had a deflected shot wide. After 61 mins the home team took the lead again after a good move found Hare on the right and his cross-shot went in - there must have been a deflection somewhere, but it was his goal. But Sutton came back again and 5 mins later a cross from the left was glanced on by Williams, everyone else missed it, and it ended up in the corner of the net. Both teams went for the win as the temperature rose (on the pitch, at least) and we had a few handbags and whinges. But it was the home team who got the winner, on 87 mins, as a good cross from the right by Hare bounced between two defenders and Williamson's diving header went past Worner to loud cheers from a surprisingly animated crowd.
I've said all along that Eastleigh won't get in the playoffs but their home form is good and they've played most of the good teams already, so you never know.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

osborne
First Team Sub

Jan 19, 2019, 6:43 PM

Team(s): Arnold Town/ Loughborough Dynamo

Post #7 of 72 (12143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rugby Borough 1 Thurnby Rangers 2 Leicestershire Senior League
Admission £3/£1
Programme- none
Tea £1
h/c
I didn't fancy a long distance trip today so this game between top v third on a 3g pitch took my interest. After gaining promotion I was interested to see if any ground improvements had taken place, but the only thing I noticed was a new pay shed had been put up. There isn't any cover-unless you count the overhang from the clubhouse or a spare dugout.
The game saw the visitors score after 16 minutes. They scored a second from a free kick in the second half. Rugby pulled a goal back on 90 minutes but didn't deserve to get anything from this match. It will be interesting to watch their progress if they win the league.

stingray
First Team Star

Jan 19, 2019, 6:54 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #8 of 72 (12093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Midlands Premier
CRAWLEY GREEN 2-3 COCKFOSTERS
Attendance 50 (including anklebiters) Usual expenses

Apparently the reverse fixture ended in a 5-5 draw. I wasn't there, but suffice to say there were enough chances to produce a similar result. Unfortunately for Crawley Green, they didn't all come off and Cockfosters took the plaudits by going 1-0 up, then 2-1 and while Crawley Green did make it 2-2 with a belter they were finally undone by Cockfosters' winner just before the end. There was still time for a CG corner which saw their keeper come up (as keepers are wont to do in such circumstances) but thankfully he wasn't made to pay for his actions.

In all honesty I'm not sure I should have been here today as my father isn't very well and I could perhaps have done without the attendance of the Crawley Green Under-Whatevers who I hope won't be regular visitorsFrown

2019/20 stats

37 goals in 8 games
£87.35 spent

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 19, 2019, 7:02 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #9 of 72 (12081 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osborne] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

MFL 1.

Nuneaton Griff 1 Leicester Road 4.

In £5
Paper £1 (excellent)

An easy win across the A5 against a Griff side with Lee Hendrie in the starting line-up. Should have had 10 this afternoon should the Knitters but poor finishing put paid to that.

Always an absolute pleasure catching up with GRIFFON on these occasions and the bonus of a second half appearance from GTV after his trip up the road to Spartak in the Coventry Alliance ensured an early return to KM.

pokal02
First Team Star

Jan 19, 2019, 7:15 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #10 of 72 (12027 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Braintree 4-0 Barnet
NL
Att 700 Adm £17 Prog £3

Match effectively over after 2 mins when Barnet keeper Cousins inexplicably tried a Cruyff turn in his own box, lost the ball, hauled down the striker and got a red card for his efforts. Pen duly despatched for 1-0. Barnet, no doubt with one eye on next week's Cup tie, effectively downed tools after that and it was only a question of how many, ended up as 4 but should have been at least 7 with the sub keeper making some good saves and at least 3 open goals/1v1s missed.

Don't be fooled by the scoreline, Braintree are very poor and probably going down, and if Barnet play like this for much longer they will be joining them. Hopefuly we can't be as bad as this every week though...

Warwickian
Reserve Team Sub

Jan 19, 2019, 7:29 PM

Post #11 of 72 (11962 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Desborough & Rothwell United 0 Burton United 5
Northants Combination.Premier Division

My original aim was to go to Totton & Eling but once again the match was off due to wet weather so my Plan B was a match a lot nearer home.
Desborough & Rothwell United play in Mawsley which isn't near either town.Its a new build village in the middle of the Northamptonshire countryside and like all newly built developments lacking in any character.The ground is behind the village community centre which was very busy today due to a function.As can be expected at this level just a roped off pitch with views of the Northants countryside.
As for the game,Burton scored two goals within the first ten minutes and cruised to a comfortable victory over a poor home team.
Attendance of 14 including Yorkexile.There is a bar in the community centre where I got a very welcome cup of coffee at halftime on a cold but thankfully dry day in rural Northants.

Formerly known as Warwick Brake

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 19, 2019, 7:32 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #12 of 72 (11943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East of Scotland League Conference C (2pm KO)
Edinburgh United v Broxburn Athletic, 1-3, H.T. 1-0, Att c.80, Admnission £6, No paperwork, Pie £2
At Paties Road, Edinburgh

Watched the first half of this – Broxburn were strong favourites before kick off. From what I saw in the first half they were the better team but lacked a finisher. They were made to pay when United scored against the run of play midway through the opening period.

By half time Broxburn were piling on the pressure but still couldn’t apply the finishing touch. I debated waiting for the second half but moved on for the full 90 minutes at Peffermill instead.

I was informed by text that Edinburgh held out until about the hour mark but then collapsed and Broxburn could easily have won by more.

Paties Road has changed little in my 35 years of attending. The only thing I noticed this time was that some screening has been attached to the fencing on the far side to make it more difficult to watch for nothing. Normal attendances are around the 30-40 mark but that was doubled to day with a large contingent from Broxburn.

Any programme obsessive who turned up on the basis of the club’s pre-match tweets about programmes being on sale would have been disappointed. The bloke on the gate said that he thought there would be one but in the end none transpired.

It takes 15-20 minutes across the south side of the city to . . .

East of Scotland League Conference A (3pm KO)
Leith Athletic v Musselburgh Athletic, 1-5, H.T. 1-4, Att c.90, Admission £5, Programmes £2 (sold out), No catering
At Peffermill 3G (original pitch)

In many respects this fixture had similarities with my earlier game. Leith Athletic typically get a couple of dozen folk watching them but the crowd was boosted by the big Burgh support. And as before, the away team were hot favourites.

The opening half hour certainly reinforced that view as Burgh cruised to a 4-0 lead. They were helped by some poor defending – Leith certainly looked better going forward than when under pressure. Musselburgh controlled the second half but added just one more goal to their tally.

The elevated roadway through the ground provides a decent vantage point. Spectators are restricted to one side and any more of a crowd than this would make viewing awkward for some. There was another game on the adjacent new astro pitch – looked like Ammies but might have been Under 18s. Parking is pretty hopeless at the venue with so many activities in progress (lots of hockey games).

Leith’s programme is a home-spun effort with plenty of content and represents decent value for £2. Certainly far more of interest to read than there was in last night’s more glossy Spartans programme for the same money.

Thought about abandoning the car in Edinburgh and going on a sesh but common sense prevailed. Settled for a visit to the Gyle Centre on the way home for some food and wine shopping.

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Jan 19, 2019, 8:28 PM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #13 of 72 (11610 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Toolstation Western Premier
Silver Street
Willand Rovers 9 Cadbury Heath 0
Admission: £6.50 Paper available Attendance: 106

Didn't fancy a trip to the Farmy Army to watch my lot so took a drive down to a ground, which for some reason, I've been fated not to visit with Melksham. I have a soft spot for Willand, always a rival of ours in the Western, games were usually close and we won the League at their place and also guaranteed promotion last season by winning our last game their too. Cadbury Heath are part of the awkward squad; I can think of at least 3 occasions where Melksham have led and Heath have scored in the last minute to deny a win.
Willand are top this season; and not without reason as they were powerful and relentless today. Heath were abject and could have lost by an even bigger margin. With Manor Farm's Dean Stamp on loan (??) they were utterly dominant and once they had applied their boot to Heath's jugular with a goal after 2 minutes, they kept it there.
Willand scored on 2, 16, 24, 28, 59, 63, 69, 75 and 87 and hit the bar on 50. Heath's keeper made a couple of outstanding saves too and at least 5 shots were ballooned over from good positions.
The pitch was very heavy but I liked the ground; friendly folk too. I hope they go up; they usually have a blip about now but that is usually caused by having to play long travelling mid week games due to postponements. There hasn't been too many this year and they are 6 points clear at the moment. Fingers crossed they make it. Heath look poor - they have another long trip to Buckland coming up.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 60 Goals: 242 GPG: 4.03 New Grounds: 36

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Jan 19, 2019, 8:56 PM)

Oldludensian
Junior Team Regular

Jan 19, 2019, 8:41 PM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 72 (11493 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Northern Counties East League Division One

Parkgate 2 Grimsby Borough 3

Att 75. £5/3

One of those games of two halves. Parkgate two up at half time, outplaying a disjointed Borough side now feeling the loss of a number of good squad players to Skegness Town. Goals on 3 and 26 minutes from Fieldsend and Hands, both close in with defenders absent. But very different after the break.

The pitch at Roundwood is a magnificent playing surface and Borough used it to their advantage, defending by keeping and passing the ball. Venney and Debnam had acres of space in central midfield, with Winfarrah a constant threat out wide. Venney turned in a far post header from a delightful cross, Trott banged one in with a deflection or two, and finally Winfarrah cleaned up when the keeper failed to hold another fierce shot.

Parkgate’s home has the feel of a bowling green, with an immaculate privet hedge along one side separating it from Rotherham United’s training pitches. There is a good view from the terracing on the western side, of both the pitch, and the industrial or post industrial Don valley. No smoke or steam rising today. Seating is at the Pavilion end of the variety that tips up the wrong way.

Remarkably both Rawmarsh and Parkgate have a recently opened micro pub. The Something Brew Inn, across from the end of Green Lane by a very enticing modern sit down chippy, had three beers from the local excellent Chantry brewery and a couple from Bradfield. In the taxi yard behind it another micro about to open this week with two handpumps.

However the Little Haven down the hill is really worth a visit. Its the former post office, next to what looks like an old chapel selling antiques. Beers from Welbeck Abbey, Chantry, and Stancill today, with the coffee porter from Welbeck magnificent. It took a good twenty minutes to walk back to Roundwood and we arrived just after three. Luckily the kick off was delayed by five minutes due to the Borough bus breaking down at Conisbrough. You just know its your day.

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Jan 19, 2019, 8:45 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #15 of 72 (11478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lordswood 3 Erith Town 1
Southern Counties East, Premier Division
Martyn Grove

Admission ; £7
Programme; £1
Attendance; 49 h/c

The ground is in a rural setting, but close to the motorway, a large sports complex with a number of football pitches, plus cricket, rugby and even Petanque! The social club is large and for the whole complex and about 100m from Lordswood ground, inside the ground was a tea hut. One side had a small seated stand plus cover for standing spectators, Hard standing on 3 sides, and the end behind the far goal is out of bounds,

Even first half with Erith starting on top but then Lordswood getting more into the game. Second half was only 4 minutes old when Lordswood took the lead, 6 minutes later it was 2-0 then chaos. To most of the ground the ball looked like it had crossed the line and that match officials agreed but the Erith team were livid, one of the visitors raised his hands to the ref and saw red. Lucky a few Erith fans stepped in as when the Erith player left the pitch he then almost got into a fight with some home fans.

Not long later, Lordswood got a third and their number 11 had been involved in all three goals. The game still saw chances at both ends, even with Erith only having 10 men and it was the visitors who got the last goal of the game.

Erith were certainly not happy with the match officials however, I did not think the ref got much wrong all game.

Last New ground; Berkhamsted, Games in 2019/20 Season; 36, New Grounds this Season; 14, Next scheduled game: tbc

http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Jan 19, 2019, 8:45 PM

Team(s): Solihull Moors

Post #16 of 72 (11478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Warwickian] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Eastern Counties League Division One South White Ensign 2 Wormley Rovers 1 Admission £2 (concession) Programme £1 (a very poor effort) Attendance 54 - including two refugees from the Essex County Junior Swimming Championship being held at the Basildon Sports Village who came in after half time and then disappeared after 15 minutes; the matter has been passed to the Dubious Attendances Panel and a ruling is expected shortly! Coffee (from machine in main entrance area) £1.50.

With Warwickian eschewing the delights of Basildon for the somewhat more cultured rural Northamptonshire countryside it was just A Pheasant and I who made the surprisingly quick journey from the West Midlands to watch promotion challenging White Ensign take on improving Wormley Rovers. En route we stopped off at Billericay to make acquaintance with Dickie from the BBC as well as two other hostelries.We were joined by the groundhopping glitterati, as the great and good gathered from far and wide. Included in the headcount were such luminaries as zuludave, catchagogoal, march hare and buncranaboy. The Basildon Sporting Village is an impressive facility and was very busy today with judo and gymnastics taking place as well as the swimming championships. The building appears to be pretty new and certainly it was good to see the good folk of Essex making such excellent use of the facilities. I know that these sort of grounds are never going to be popular on this forum but I thought it was one of the best I have seen. There was a pay box beyond the BSV building which itself has a huge car park in front of it where it was a struggle to find a spare place. You are brought out into a large flat hard standing area in front of the large stand which runs for most of the length of the pitch and has far more seats then White Ensign are ever likely to need. The pitch is railed off on three sides and has an eight lane running track between it and the rails. The far side which has no rails is inaccessible to spectators and houses the two dugouts either side of the halfway line. Floodlight pylons are dotted at regular intervals all the way round the perimeter and there are the usual athletics accoutrements scattered around. The other three sides of the ground other than the stand side all contain substantial grass banks giving the whole scene quite an attractive air. Two early goals put White Ensign in command, with an early penalty conceded by the erratic visiting keeper eventually proving crucial. However, a goal on the stroke of half time put an entirely different complexion on the second half, and WE, who had five players cautioned by a refreshingly strict referee, were hanging on at the end and indeed would have been held to a draw if a late "equaliser" for Wormley not been ruled out for offside by the assistant referee. In comparison with AFC Liverpool who I had seen on Tuesday night WE looked well inferior in what I would regard as a league of much lesser stature than the NWCL.
A trouble free journey home meant that the chauffeur pulled in in front of Totally Untamed Towers at 7.15.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

Nobody's Heroes
Youth Team Regular

Jan 19, 2019, 8:48 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, CPD Porthmadog, Ross County

Post #17 of 72 (11461 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Evo-Stik West Division

Colwyn Bay 2 Trafford 1

Four Crosses Construction Arena (Llanelian Road)

Admission - £10 Programme - £2 Attendance - 215

This game kicked off early, at 1pm as a result on an ongoing problem the home side have with their floodlights.

The early kick off did nothing to dampen the enthusiasm of the 22 players on the pitch who produced a most enjoyable 90 minutes of football on a chilly afternoon.

Trafford FC can consider themselves a little unlucky to head back up the A55 empty handed as they hit the woodwork and had a stone wall penalty appeal turned down in the second half, as well as being reduced to 10 men and then conceding what turned out to be the winning goal in the 93rd minute.

Bay now go 6 unbeaten and are creeping up towards the end of season play off spots in a most competitive league.

A most enjoyable afternoon with the added bonus of being home for the final scores due to the early kick off.

paulh66

Jan 19, 2019, 9:02 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #18 of 72 (11339 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nobody's Heroes] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Manchester Prem
Stockport Georgians 3-3 Rochdale Sacred Heart
Around 30 in attendance
No admission charge or programme (though they did issue a colour, glossy fold-over for their recent Cheshire Amateur Cup QF tie, which I declined the chance to buy for a quid)
Pie, peas and gravy £2.50

Plan A was Wythenshawe Amateurs but I made sure I was well-armed with back ups, just as well as it was called off late morning for waterlogging. Presumably their pitch is a poor drainer as, although it had been wet, few games in these parts fell. Five miles away, Georgians' pitch was a bit muddy but perfectly playable.

Georgians have applied for promotion to step 6 and it's a good little set up. Situated a couple of miles south of Stockport, ten minutes walk from Woodsmoor station, the ground is fully enclosed, the pitch fully railed off, there's a decent covered terrace at the far end in the corner by the changing rooms, a new clubhouse/kitchen at the near end, and hardstanding around three sides. Massive car park with the obligatory massive pot-holes too.

They're in the process of applying for permission for floodlights and it'll be interesting to see how they get on as they're located in a quiet and pleasant residential area, with a row of houses backing onto the car park along near side of the ground. Seats and new dugouts will be on the shopping list too - the existing dugouts are arranged one opposite the other, which probably won't meet with the approval of the grading police.

Any promotion has to be earned on the pitch too, of course, and they've got some work to do to get the necessary top 5 finish. It looked an even taller order by half time, with third placed visitors Sacred Heart running the show and leading 3-1, having been temporarily and, against the run of play, pegged back to 1-1. Second half was a different matter as the home side went for it. They pulled one back, were denied an equaliser more than once by fine, one on one saves, only for the keeper to then gift them the equaliser with the howler of the year, totally fluffing a throw out from the corner of his six yard box to leave the Georgians' striker an open goal to tap into from a couple of yards out.

From then on the game could have gone either way but it'd have been harsh for either side to leave empty-handed. All in all, an enjoyable game played in a rough and ready but fair manner, and apparently the reverse fixture between these two earlier in the season was also a cracker.

Had a rather convoluted train itinerary today, which ultimately allowed for splendid suppage before the game in the Crown, under the Stockport viaduct, and, on the way home, the Great Western, by Wolverhampton station (which has b*gger all to do with most people's visits to Stockport Georgians but it's an old favourite so any excuse to shoehorn it in!)

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jan 19, 2019, 10:16 PM)

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Jan 19, 2019, 9:27 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #19 of 72 (11110 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I saw Waveney at a previous venue in October 2014.

Hadley & Ottaway Anglian Combination League Premier Division
Waveney 4 (20, 29, 74 & 76)
Blofield Utd 3 (8, 60 pen & 61)
KO: 14:00 Att: 33 h/c inc at least 12 from BU Cost: Free Progs available (I saw one)

Venue: Saturn Close Sports Ground, Saturn Close, Lowestoft
Fully railed. Near goal has space for another pitch if it’s wide enough. Not far from the pitch but only a small part of it facing it are changing rooms. It looks a fair size building which looks fairly old with part brick & part painted blue with decent overhang & hardstanding underneath. If pitch ran alongside this it would be ideal. Both sides have grass with the one to the right a bit wider. Houses are behind garden fences with the one on the right continuing to entrance. Behind far goal is fairly wide grass area with houses behind garden fences. Some bushes & trees dotted around.

Match: 6th v 13th out of 16
WAV apparently won the game at BU 6-4. BU apparently won their last 4 games & a repeat WAV win looked unlikely as BU were in control for 20mins. A chance went wide on 4mins before a 20yd curled shot found the net. A stupid back pass gave the ball to WAV player who couldn’t believe his luck & shot easily past the gk in their first attempt. BU regained the lead on 23mins but the lino was waving his flag. Somehow BU were awarded a free kick. WAV took the lead & then on 32mins a shot beat the outrushing gk but it lacked legs & was cleared away as it was heading towards the goal slowly. On 39mins BU had a header saved while at the other end WAV player was kicked in the penalty area which was quite loud. The lino next to me must have had a clear view but wasn’t interested. I don’t think anyone could believe it. A WAV sub ran past lino & said ‘he didn’t kick himself’ for some reason this annoyed the lino & he called the ref over but the ref wasn’t playing the lino’s childish games. WAV player just got a warning. Not often you’re thinking it would’ve been better having club lino’s. After 49:00 the ref finally blew for h/t. Shots 6-5.

H/t lasted a painful 13+mins. BU were given a penalty which looked very harsh which WAV couldn’t believe had been given. I heard a couple of BU fans saying it wasn’t a pen. They converted this & 71 seconds they took the lead when defender & gk left it & forward tapped into the net. WAV had a chance but gk saved with his foot on 64mins. A long pass saw WAV player just get to the ball ahead of the gk for the equaliser & 70 seconds later the gk well out of his goal gave the ball to WAV player who shot into an empty net. Shots 6-5.

This might have been a good game but it was too cold to enjoy. It was sunny & bitterly cold with a mixture of a breeze & wind.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jan 19, 2019, 9:31 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #20 of 72 (11090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Derbyshire Divisional Cup North, Semi Final. KO 13:00. (F&N) Crowd 29.

Tintwistle Athletic 1 v 2 Rowsley 86

Decided to take the scenic route to Tintwistle via Leek and Buxton. As I travelled between the aforementioned places the snow at the side of the road deepened to 3 or 4 inches, fog descended and the temperature dropped to zero, so I was not surprised to see the Buxton game was postponed. However, just a few miles on towards Glossop, no sign of snow and the pitch at Tintwistle was in excellent condition. The tea bar was open and good value with hot and cold food as well as tea and coffee.

Rowsley took an early lead which they held at half time but a 2nd half equaliser looked like it might take the game into extra time until the visitors snatched a winner in the 86th minute. Pleased for them as I took a particular dislike to the Tinny manager who spent the entire game moaning at the referee. The second half produced the better football and both teams played some attractive stuff at times.

paulh66

Jan 19, 2019, 9:57 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #21 of 72 (10939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Wombwell Town 0 Ardsley Athletico 1 (HT 0-0)

....and £20,000 worth of seats will have to be put in the stand, a modern-looking, 50-yard shelter over a few steps of terracing.

That sounds extortionate - they'd only need 50 seats. Plastic ones will do..Wink

1dringMinstrel
Junior Team Star

Jan 19, 2019, 10:00 PM

Post #22 of 72 (10923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hamworthy United 5 v 0 Fareham Town
Sydenhams Wessex Premier League
Adm £6, Prog £1, Att 94

The 3G cage ground is functional and that is not meant to be derogatory. For the players, the surface allows an opportunity to display ball skills often denied on corrugated iron, grass pitches. And if your skills have been worthy of a higher level, the result can be a four-goal demolition as demonstrated by Dan Cann. He was taken off after an hour and only the profligacy of the subs and heroic goalkeeping kept it down to five.

Try and avoid the direct, stop-start route through Bournemouth/Poole centre and you should be early enough to get a parking space outside the smart, renovated club-house.

Mark
Reserve Team Sub

Jan 19, 2019, 11:02 PM

Post #23 of 72 (10604 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1dringMinstrel] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Grimsby Town U18s 2-0 Bradford City U18s
Football League Youth Alliance
Attendance: 51
f&n

Not the highest quality of games but watchable nonetheless and the errors probably made it more interesting than the possession-intensive stuff you get from the better academies.

The game took place at Grimsby's training ground on Cheapside, just outside Waltham. There are only two pitches here so it has quite an enclosed feel and spectators watched only from the near side which was roped off, with dugouts on the far side. Sufficient parking over two car parks and a welcomingly warm club room which offered sausage & bacon baps, as well as hot drinks. One of the better youth venues amongst lower division clubs, I'd say.

There was then time for a brisk one hour walk along Cleethorpes prom before rocking up at ...

Cleethorpes Town 3-0 Gresley
Northern Premier League Div 1 East
Attendance: 506, apparently
Admission: £8, plus £2 prog

A reasonable game in which the home side took a while to get going but played with confidence once they'd gone ahead, while Gresley lived up to their billing as the second worst team in the division.

I thought it was quite a pleasant, tidy and friendly set-up featuring stands on all four sides, although unfortunately they're all of the kit variety and there's not much elevation on offer anywhere. The most unusual feature is the officials-only stand, along one side towards a corner, which is completely enclosed for those people who prefer to watch their football through a bit of perspex. Opposite is a standard seated kit stand for the plebs, further along from a section of open seating which was taken over by some of the many youngsters who may have been attracted by the free admission & free hot chocolate. There's more seating behind one goal and a covered terrace behind the other.

A smart clubhouse was also home to the souvenir shop and snack bar, although the very long half-time queue for the latter was a bit of a blocker for entrance into, and movement around, the clubhouse. The snack bar was very good though, with hot drinks only £1 and a good range of decent hot food. In fact, I even spotted someone checking the temperature of the hot dogs before serving them.

The prog was reasonable for £2, very well-presented but rather top heavy with match reports and info on Gresley. Cleethorpes gates have been pretty high this season though I was surprised by the announced attendance of 506 as I'd have put it down as 350-ish. No problems parking in the adjoining field though which was well organised by stewards.

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 19, 2019, 11:14 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #24 of 72 (10532 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bedmond 0 Bushey Sports Club 5 (Herts County League Premier Division) Att: 21 h/c f&n

This was a comfortable win for the impressive league leaders, but probably closer than it sounds. The damage was done in the first 14 minutes, during which the visitors scored three times, twice from free headers. Thereafter things were much more even, but two high quality strikes after the break completed the scoring. Bedmond worked hard, but lacked someone to finish off some decent approach play. I thought this was of a very decent standard, and was pleasingly free of bleating and moaning. Good referee too.

Home is in Toms Lane and is roughly what one would expect - railed on three sides and fence and hedge on the fourth, with hard standing all along the clubhouse side. There is a small bit of cover at the end of the building. Rather cold, but enjoyable day out in the birthplace of Nicholas Breakspear, England's only Pope.

hotchkiss
First Team Sub

Jan 19, 2019, 11:16 PM

Team(s): wolves,non league

Post #25 of 72 (10528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1dringMinstrel] Saturday 19th January 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

BROADBRIDGE HEATH (1) 3 LITTLE COMMON (0)0 Southern Combination.Admission £6 / £4.Programme £1.Att: 60 approx. Still using the old ground with the large stand along one touchline.There is plenty of grass banks opposite and behind the goals but it is out of bounds everywhere except in the stand .The players get changed in the new leisure centre and this is the only place to get drinks etc.Jamie Taylor who last played for Broadbridge 20 years ago and has since played for Dagenham,AF C Wimbledon,Aldershot and Lincoln City and many more clubs was back for the home side and scored 2 second half goals.The new ground is now nearly complete with 2 small stands ,hard standing and floodlights..At the moment they are trying to get the pitch up to standard but it does look quite smart.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3