Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Trouble at Welwyn Garden City

007Dale
First Team Regular

Jan 11, 2019, 12:40 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3490 views)
Shortcut
Trouble at Welwyn Garden City Can't Post or Reply Privately

The manager and the club secretary have resigned, due to budget issues and the direction of the club.

Players on Twitter also announcing they have left.

Seems to be an exodus.

Statto1
Ballboy/girl

Jan 11, 2019, 1:59 PM

Team(s): Luton Town

Post #2 of 7 (3268 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

All seemed to happen so quickly. In the short term, tomorrow's game against Peterborough Sports must surely be in doubt. No manager, no team (unless the Under 18s are played), probably a lack of volunteers to run everything too.

They haven't had a home game since November due to their pitch being waterlogged which could not have helped (although the decision to cram in three home friendlies in October and November may not have helped the pitch, but this is only speculation on my part).

So IF tomorrow's game goes ahead, I suspect Peterborough will be in line for double figures. The long term future could be in doubt although there is always the possibility of the remaining committee seeing out the season with cheaper players and almost certainly being relegated back to Step 5 (and at a level the committee can financially support).

The new few days will be very important for the history of the club. I suspect their Step 4 days will be over in a few months at the very least.

Statto1
Ballboy/girl

Jan 11, 2019, 3:16 PM

Team(s): Luton Town

Post #3 of 7 (3126 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Statto1] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Now confirmed that tomorrow's game will not go ahead.

007Dale
First Team Regular

Jan 11, 2019, 3:43 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3059 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Statto1] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The club have issued a statement blaming the manager for overspending the budget and claim they forced him to resign.

ARL
Reserve Team Sub

Jan 11, 2019, 8:17 PM

Team(s): Tring Town 1987-2003, Leverstock Green 2003-

Post #5 of 7 (2472 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And they've already announced Dean Barker as their new manager.

No way did they need to postpone tomorrow's fixture. They'll be back next week with a new set of players probably on decent money.

steve walker
Administrator

Jan 11, 2019, 9:11 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 7 (2335 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ARL] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have never known a non league club where the manager signs the cheques. Or any other club for that matter.

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 11, 2019, 9:21 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2300 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Trouble at Welwyn Garden City [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I have never known a non league club where the manager signs the cheques. Or any other club for that matter.

But they do hand over the plain brown envelopes with backhanders in.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3