Home: All Other Football Interests: Obituaries and Remembrances:
Colin Kempster (Groundhopper)

tbtraveller
Junior Team Sub

Jan 1, 2019, 7:20 PM

Post #1 of 10 (19197 views)
Shortcut
Colin Kempster (Groundhopper) Can't Post or Reply Privately

It is my sad duty to report that, after a two year fight against various illnesses and ailments my friend Colin Kempster passed away this afternoon at 14.00

Affectionately known as "The Skipper" I would regard Colin, along with Bill Berry and others as forerunners of our hobby.

Although unable to get out much in recent years in still took a keen interest in non league football and beer.

Unless asked not to I will post details of the funeral arrangements once known

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Jan 1, 2019, 7:24 PM)

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 1, 2019, 9:34 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #2 of 10 (19023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tbtraveller] Colin Kempster (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

RIP Colin, see you soon , mines a PINT.
One of few hoppers I would class as a friend , ever since our first meeting in the 70's when I called him a ''southern softie'' or a similar term at Northwich Vics he took great delight in bringing up the North / South divide on our regular meetings.

Went drinking/ticking with him on a few occasions but I could never get into the half here and a half there , but he loved it making notes in each pub.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 203 / 168 / 35 (You know my rules) @25 /03 /2019. Only 17 x 0-0's - ( 3 in 10 at mo !).

Project TFTopTierUEFAGrounds2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).(Inc Summer Leagues 2019. TBC) .
Need - 104 (14-6 %) @ 23/03/2019.

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Jan 2, 2019, 12:20 AM)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 1, 2019, 11:48 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #3 of 10 (18856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tbtraveller] Colin Kempster (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As with Trevor Pike, another of our number who passed a few months ago, a real gentleman who it was always a pleasure to meet.
Sad news indeed.
RIP Colin.

agamemnon3
Junior Team Star

Jan 2, 2019, 3:41 AM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 10 (18505 views)
Shortcut

What a rotten bloody start to the year.

Colin Kempster --- always on time, always impeccably turned out, (suit & tie, polished shoes, document case tucked neatly under one arm), and always great company.

Colin was, for many years, the matchday announcer at Craven Cottage, and I covered a lot of miles with him in the early eighties in the first few seasons of Fulham RLFC. Colin loved the northern rugby league towns, and the people he met there --- Dewsbury, Keighley, Featherstone, Wakefield, Whitehaven --- he called them 'real places, with real people'. For a man who spent all of his working life behind a desk, he had genuine respect and affection for the 'Fred Dibnah-types' he came across --- 'men who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty'.

He once told me that he hated the term 'groundhopper', and that he considered himself simply 'a traveller'. Well now he has travelled on, and left us all behind, much the poorer for his passing.

Goodbye Skipper.

(This post was edited by agamemnon3 on Jan 2, 2019, 3:45 AM)

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Jan 2, 2019, 3:06 PM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #5 of 10 (18080 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Echo everyone's thoughts here. I had a pre Christmas several ales with the current and former editors of Speedway Star and Colin was mentioned in positive dispatches. He was a regular member of the "First Wednesday" group, made up of various journos who had a monthly get together, and exchanged conversation over a beer or several. We always found time to speak, during my irregular attendances of all things non league and ale. I had been trying for years, without success, to get him a copy of an out of print book of Sheffield pubs. Sorry I never managed it Colin.

A lovely man and, as mentioned, always immaculate. RIP mate

Dave 56
Reserve Team Star

Jan 2, 2019, 8:02 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #6 of 10 (17816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] Colin Kempster (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Such a sad start to the new year. Met Colin many times over the years, not just at football but at Egham United Services Club where he would attend our three beer festivals each year. Always a kind and generous gent with a wonderful knowledge of football.

Rest in peace Colin, you will be sorely missed.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member! / Moderator

Jan 7, 2019, 10:10 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 10 (14215 views)
Shortcut

from tbtraveller -

I can now confirm that the funeral service for Colin will be held at Putney Vale crematorium on Monday 21st January at 15.15.

I would be grateful if those wishing to attend could let me know, either through the forum or by phone/text message on 07766-989170.

It is Colin's wish for no floral tributes

leohoenig
Administrator

Jan 10, 2019, 12:05 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #8 of 10 (10467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Colin Kempster (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Like many on here, I have known the "Skipper" over many years and he will be missed.

For a long time whenever we met, he would ask the question "are you still?"
The reply to which had to be, "yes, after all these years"

The reference is to the Paul Simon song. "Still Crazy after all these years"
I cannot remember when this started.

Like many, I cannot say exactly when I first met with Colin - he was one of those who was always there when I started groundhopping. I think I may have even seen him at Hillingdon before I started hopping.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Into the nervous 90s. 93 - Beijing Institute of Technology Eastern Athletic Field

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 11, 2019, 2:14 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #9 of 10 (10012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Colin Kempster (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

from tbtraveller -

I can now confirm that the funeral service for Colin will be held at Putney Vale crematorium on Monday 21st January at 15.15.

-------------------------------

Will be a fair few miles away Colin but will have a half to remember you. RIP SYS.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 203 / 168 / 35 (You know my rules) @25 /03 /2019. Only 17 x 0-0's - ( 3 in 10 at mo !).

Project TFTopTierUEFAGrounds2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).(Inc Summer Leagues 2019. TBC) .
Need - 104 (14-6 %) @ 23/03/2019.

rebus
Youth Team Sub

Jan 21, 2019, 5:41 PM

Team(s): Wroxham & Barnet

Post #10 of 10 (5522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Colin Kempster (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saddened to hear this. I remember Colin in the 70's and 80's at Craven Cottage, for both football and rugby league.
As matchday announcer, he took pride in his pronunciation of places like Newcastle (new cassell).
RIP Colin

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3