Your most/least favourite years for music

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 11, 2018, 9:39 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #1 of 11 (8947 views)
Shortcut
Your most/least favourite years for music Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is this top-30 from mid-August 1986 the worst ever?

1. 'I Want To Wake Up With You' - Boris Gardiner
2. 'The Lady In Red' - Chris De Burgh
3. 'So Macho' - Sinita
4. 'Anyone Can Fall In Love' - Anita Dobson & The Simon May Orchestra
5. 'Ain't Nothing Going On But The Rent' - Gwen Guthrie
6. 'Calling All The Heroes' - It Bites
7. 'Dancing On The Ceiling' - Lionel Richie
8. 'I Can Prove It' - Phil Fearon
9. 'Camouflage' - Stan Ridgway
10. 'Shout' - Lulu
11. 'Girls & Boys' - Prince
12. 'Brother Louie' - Modern Talking
13. 'Papa Don't Preach' - Madonna
14. 'Panic' - The Smiths
15. 'We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off' - Jermaine Stewart
16. 'Find The Time' - Five Star
17. 'Breaking Away' - Jaki Graham
18. 'Glory Of Love' - Peter Setera
19. 'Human' - The Human League
20. 'What's The Colour Of Money' - Hollywood Beyond
21. 'When I Think Of You' - Janet Jackson
22. 'Let's Go All The Way' - Sly Fox
23. 'The Way It Is' - Bruce Hornsby & The Range
24. 'I Didn't Mean To Turn You On' - Robert Palmer
25. 'A Question Of Time' - Depeche Mode
26. 'Every Beat Of My Heart' - Rod Stewart
27. 'Red Sky' - Status Quo
28. 'Don't Leave Me This Way' - The Communards
29. 'Oh People' - Patti LaBelle
30. 'Fight For Ourselves' - Spandau Ballet

A couple of years ago, Steve Lamacq on 6Music used this top-30 to illustrate how dire popular music was during that particular era. And over the past year, BBC 4 have been repeating editions of 'Top Of The Pops' from throughout 1986 so that you can see the evidence in colour. Here is the most recent serving...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/...of-the-pops-30101986

And here are some more reasons as to why I agree that 1986 stinks so badly...

*Too many novelty records

*Too many 50s/60s re-releases/reissues

*Too many soap stars

*Too many stadium bands

*Too many saxophones

*Too many power-ballards

*Too many tie-ins with films and TV adverts

*The woeful music policy of Radio One. The station hadn't really begun to recover from the six-year tenure (1979~1985) of its previous Controller Derek Chinnery. Chinnery is most famous for his defense of the behaviour of Jimmy Savile, but he was also responsible slashing John Peel's air-time and for famously stating that he wanted Radio One to be the type of station that yuppies would listen to on their way from the office to the restaurant. In fact, there was a general lack of diversity on most radio. And most music stations were still broadcasting on AM frequencies.

*Too many 'mature' artists. This links in with those mature artists beginning to release albums on expensive CDs, appealing to a more conservative but affluent buyer. Exhibit A - Phil Collins.

*I've even read that it was the spiraling divorce rate among middle-aged couples during the mid-1980s that helped rocket Phil Collins' record sales! ("Take A Look At Me Now..." with my stupid pot of emulsion!)

*There's no denying that some genre of music were really in their pomp during the mid-80s, including Heavy Metal, Hip-Hop, Goth, Dance and Indie (whether you like those genre or not). However, this was rarely reflected in the charts, on telly or in popular culture. (Coincidentally, this very chart of mid-August 1986 saw an entry in the lower reaches of 'Love Can't Turn Around' by Farley Jackmaster Funk, said by some to be the very first club-dance track to enter the UK charts, and a TOTP performance that really IS worth watching!)

*Too much MTV-friendly music/videos/nonsense. The growth of the influence in MTV meant that bands and their record companies felt even more pressure to 'break America'.

*Which finally brings us on to the influence of 1985's Live-Aid. There's no denying the good works and acts of charity that Live-Aid was responsible for in Ethiopia, but if you watch the Wembley section again today there's no getting away from how dated/embarrassing it all seems to see so many white wealthy middle-aged pop stars (especially the ones who'd already played at 'Sun City') preaching to the masses to cough up (Elvis Costello comes out of it with his dignity intact, but many don't). However, there is also no denying the influence of Live-Aid upon music in the years immediately afterwards - it could probably justify a thread all of its own, but putting it briefly it boosted the careers of too many artists who would otherwise have faded away with a bit more dignity but instead went on to dominate 1986, while at the same time denying the exposure needed by newer/younger bands who might well have helped turn 1986 into a better year for popular music.

=======================

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least forty albums I own from 1986 (I'll count up properly soon), so I can't have disliked all of it. Although there is obviously a lot more to popular music than the top-30, the charts at that time still had an importance (certainly a self-importance) in popular culture and in life in this country in general, and could also still have a link with what was going on in the rest of the music industry - something I would say it lost around about 2000, when the obsession with X-Factor type-stuff began.

I also think that if I were to list a random top-30 from, say for example, 1966 or 1979 or 1982 or 1994 or 1999 there'd be a fair amount more to get excited about in it.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Dec 11, 2018, 10:55 PM)

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 11, 2018, 10:18 PM

Post #2 of 11 (8923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Your most/least favourite years for music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not so sure that 1992 would prove much better. Again taking a top 30 from the middle of August:

1 Dexys Midnight Runners With The Emerald Express "Come On Eileen"
2 Irene Cara "Fame"
3 Yazoo "Don't Go"
4 Madness "Driving In My Car"
5 Hot Chocolate "It Started With A Kiss"
6 Survivor "Eye Of The Tiger"
7 Kid Creole & The Coconuts "Stool Pigeon"
8 Stranglers "Strange Little Girl"
9 Bad Manners "My Girl Lollipop (My Boy Lollipop)"
10 Bananarama "Shy Boy"
11 Japan "I Second That Emotion"
12 Belle Stars "The Clapping Song"
13 Trio "Da Da Da"
14 Cliff Richard "The Only Way Out"
15 Paul McCartney "Take It Away"
16 Firm "Arthur Daley (E's Alright)"
17 David Essex "Me And My Girl (Night Clubbing)"
18 Donna Summer "Love Is In Control (Finger On The Trigger)"
19 Brat "Chalk Dust - The Umpire Strikes Back"
20 Junior "Too Late"
21 Boystown Gang "Can't Take My Eyes Off You"
22 Haysi Fantayzee "John Wayne Is Big Leggy"
23 Kool & The Gang "Big Fun"
24 Visage "Night Train"
25 Associates "18 Carat Love Affair"/"Love Hangover"
26 Fun Boy Three "Summertime"
27 Wavelength "Hurry Home"
28 Steve Miller Band "Abracadabra"
29 Dollar "Videotheque"
30 Sylvian Sakamoto "Bamboo Houses/Bamboo Music"

Dexy's and Yazoo make the top three look OK, but a lot of cover versions and comedy/novelty records below that.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 11, 2018, 10:32 PM

Post #3 of 11 (8917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Your most/least favourite years for music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Again taking a top 30 from the middle of August

It ought to be acknowledged that August has always been a particularly lousy month for the charts, whatever the year. Along with Christmas, it tends to be peak time for novelty records, as well as some tacky Euro-pop tune brought back from the dance-floors of Torremolinos, and love ballards bought by dumped teenagers after a holiday romance.

Exhibit B, again from summer 1986... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LtYaCm5njY

It makes you glad that at least the football season is starting again! Wink

jrev61

Dec 11, 2018, 10:46 PM

Team(s): None

Post #4 of 11 (8906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Your most/least favourite years for music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not so sure that 1992 would prove much better. Again taking a top 30 from the middle of August:

2 Irene Cara "Fame"
3 Yazoo "Don't Go"
10 Bananarama "Shy Boy"
13 Trio "Da Da Da"
20 Junior "Too Late"
24 Visage "Night Train"
29 Dollar "Videotheque"

Dexy's and Yazoo make the top three look OK, but a lot of cover versions and comedy/novelty records below that.

Surely that's 1982 not 1992. But you're right a pretty poor selection. Didn't buy any of those records and none are on my You Tube playlist.

jrev61

jrev61

Dec 11, 2018, 10:50 PM

Team(s): None

Post #5 of 11 (8905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Your most/least favourite years for music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Is this top-30 from mid-August 1986 the worst ever?

1. 'I Want To Wake Up With You' - Boris Gardiner
2. 'The Lady In Red' - Chris De Burgh
3. 'So Macho' - Sinita
4. 'Anyone Can Fall In Love' - Anita Dobson & The Simon May Orchestra
5. 'Ain't Nothing Going On But The Rent' - Gwen Guthrie
6. 'Calling All The Heroes' - It Bites
7. 'Dancing On The Ceiling' - Lionel Richie
8. 'I Can Prove It' - Phil Fearon
9. 'Camouflage' - Stan Ridgway
10. 'Shout' - Lulu
11. 'Girls & Boys' - Prince
12. 'Brother Louie' - Modern Talking
13. 'Papa Don't Preach' - Madonna
14. 'Panic' - The Smiths
15. 'We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off' - Jermaine Stewart
16. 'Find The Time' - Five Star
17. 'Breaking Away' - Jaki Graham
18. 'Glory Of Love' - Peter Setera
19. 'Human' - The Human League
20. 'What's The Colour Of Money' - Hollywood Beyond
21. 'When I Think Of You' - Janet Jackson
22. 'Let's Go All The Way' - Sly Fox
23. 'The Way It Is' - Bruce Hornsby & The Range
24. 'I Didn't Mean To Turn You On' - Robert Palmer
25. 'A Question Of Time' - Depeche Mode
26. 'Every Beat Of My Heart' - Rod Stewart
27. 'Red Sky' - Status Quo
28. 'Don't Leave Me This Way' - The Communards
29. 'Oh People' - Patti LaBelle
30. 'Fight For Ourselves' - Spandau Ballet

A couple of years ago, Steve Lamacq on 6Music used this top-30 to illustrate how dire popular music was during that particular era. And over the past year, BBC 4 have been repeating editions of 'Top Of The Pops' from throughout 1986 so that you can see the evidence in colour. Here is the most recent serving...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/...of-the-pops-30101986

And here are some more reasons as to why I agree that 1986 stinks so badly...

*Too many novelty records

*Too many 50s/60s re-releases/reissues

*Too many soap stars

*Too many stadium bands

*Too many saxophones

*Too many power-ballards

*Too many tie-ins with films and TV adverts

*The woeful music policy of Radio One. The station hadn't really begun to recover from the six-year tenure (1979~1985) of its previous Controller Derek Chinnery. Chinnery is most famous for his defense of the behaviour of Jimmy Savile, but he was also responsible slashing John Peel's air-time and for famously stating that he wanted Radio One to be the type of station that yuppies would listen to on their way from the office to the restaurant. In fact, there was a general lack of diversity on most radio. And most music stations were still broadcasting on AM frequencies.

*Too many 'mature' artists. This links in with those mature artists beginning to release albums on expensive CDs, appealing to a more conservative but affluent buyer. Exhibit A - Phil Collins.

*I've even read that it was the spiraling divorce rate among middle-aged couples during the mid-1980s that helped rocket Phil Collins' record sales! ("Take A Look At Me Now..." with my stupid pot of emulsion!)

*There's no denying that some genre of music were really in their pomp during the mid-80s, including Heavy Metal, Hip-Hop, Goth, Dance and Indie (whether you like those genre or not). However, this was rarely reflected in the charts, on telly or in popular culture. (Coincidentally, this very chart of mid-August 1986 saw an entry in the lower reaches of 'Love Can't Turn Around' by Farley Jackmaster Funk, said by some to be the very first club-dance track to enter the UK charts, and a TOTP performance that really IS worth watching!)

*Too much MTV-friendly music/videos/nonsense. The growth of the influence in MTV meant that bands and their record companies felt even more pressure to 'break America'.

*Which finally brings us on to influence 1985's Live-Aid. There's no denying the good works and acts of charity that Live-Aid was responsible for in Ethiopia, but if you watch the Wembley section again today there's no getting away from how dated/embarrassing it all seems to see so many white wealthy middle-aged pop stars (especially the ones who'd already played at 'Sun City') preaching to the masses to cough up (Elvis Costello comes out of it with his dignity intact, but many don't). However, there is also no denying the influence of Live-Aid upon music in the years immediately afterwards - it could probably justify a thread all of its own, but putting it briefly it boosted the careers of too many artists who would otherwise have faded away with a bit more dignity but instead went on to dominate 1986, while at the same time denying the exposure needed by newer/younger bands who might well have helped turn 1986 into a better year for popular music.

=======================

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least forty albums I own from 1986 (I'll count up properly soon), so I can't have disliked all of it. Although there is obviously a lot more to popular music than the top-30, the charts at that time still had an importance (certainly a self-importance) in popular culture and in life in this country in general, and could also still have a link with what was going on in the rest of the music industry - something I would say it lost around about 2000, when the obsession with X-Factor type-stuff began.

I also think that if I were to list a random top-30 from, say for example, 1966 or 1979 or 1982 or 1994 or 1999 there'd be a fair amount more to get excited about in it.

Agreed. Like Mr. Rundle's list just awful. Also like his list I didn't buy any of those, although I did buy the Madonna album with 'Papa Don't Preach' on it, and the Smiths 'Panic' is quite good IMO. The other thing I noticed is that I've heard of all those songs, except the Phil Fearon one. If you listed the current chart I probably wouldn't know any of them.

jrev61

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 12, 2018, 3:55 PM

Post #6 of 11 (8764 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Your most/least favourite years for music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

2 Irene Cara "Fame"
3 Yazoo "Don't Go"
10 Bananarama "Shy Boy"
13 Trio "Da Da Da"
20 Junior "Too Late"
24 Visage "Night Train"
29 Dollar "Videotheque"

Surely that's 1982 not 1992. But you're right a pretty poor selection. Didn't buy any of those records and none are on my You Tube playlist.

Hmmm. "John Wayne is Big Leggy" Didn't realise until recently the story
behind that record.Blush

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 12, 2018, 4:59 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #7 of 11 (8744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] Your most/least favourite years for music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Any year after about 1985 is a bad year for music. 1975/76 wasn't a great period either but still better than anything from Stock, Aitkin, Waterman to the present day.

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 12, 2018, 5:29 PM

Post #8 of 11 (8726 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Your most/least favourite years for music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Richard has got that 80s one bang on! A great decade for Music but so many shite records in that weeks chart.

Edit the only one of those I have on my playlist is The Associates, 18 Carat Love Affair

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

(This post was edited by Towlawtom on Dec 12, 2018, 5:32 PM)

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 12, 2018, 7:58 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #9 of 11 (8670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Your most/least favourite years for music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wow, think I'd rather jack than listen to that crock of shit.

Many of which has kept Peter Waterman in Walsall season tickets,
Brew X1 and Hornby 00s for the past 30+ years.

There was a lot of good stuff in the mid-80s but, unfortunately,
not that week.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 12, 2018, 9:28 PM

Post #10 of 11 (8612 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The other thing I noticed is that I've heard of all those songs, except the Phil Fearon one. If you listed the current chart I probably wouldn't know any of them.

I'm afraid that, what with the chaotic way the charts are put together these days, you may well have heard of a darn sight more of today's top-40 than you originally have thought. At this very moment...

*Mariah Carey's 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' is presently at no.6 (after 111 weeks in the charts! Shocked)

*Wham!'s 'Last Christmas' is at no.14

*The Pogues' 'Fairytale Of New York' is at no.18

*Band Aid's 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' is at no.26

*Shakin' Stevens' 'Merry Christmas Everyone' is at no.36

*Brenda Lee's 'Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree' is at no.39

Surely another candidate for the worst ever chart... Unsure

(This post was edited by oxpete on Dec 12, 2018, 9:38 PM)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 27, 2018, 10:38 PM

Post #11 of 11 (4898 views)
Shortcut

1986 at its 'entertain' worst, with this edition of Top Of The Pops...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/...of-the-pops-27111986

...first broadcast on Thursday 27th November 1986, and hosted by Gary Davies (wearing what appears to be a suit made out of old dog blankets).

Joking aside, I doubt we'll ever see again a television show host such a wide variety of acts 'live' in the studio together:

This would have been one of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's last ever appearances on TOTP, marked by Holly Jphnson appearing to give guitarist Brian Nash, er ahem, a 'helping hand' during their performance of 'Warriors (Of The Wasteland)'. Two months later in January 1987, while touring to promote their new album 'Liverpool', Johnson and guitarist Jed O'Toole came to blows (this time in a more conventionally violent manner) backstage at Wembley Arena, leading to Johnson quitting the band. So bad were relations between band members at the time that when record-label ZTT offered Johnson's place to Pete Wylie, even he (surely the most attention-seeking person ever to come out of Merseyside) flatly turned the chance down!

Then there's the extreme contrast of Roger Whittaker & Des O'Connor warbling and whistling 'The Skye Boat Song'. Just think - Roger, Des and Frankie, all in neighbouring dressing-rooms!

Also appearing on stage are Five Star singing 'If I Say Yes', which was a substandard song even by 1986 standards. What makes this stand out, however, is it's one of the first time I remember seeing where a band synchronised their singing and dancing together (Mel & Kim were doing it at about the same time, too). I've heard it described as "music that Margaret Thatcher would approve of" - before that, any dancing would have been done by Legs & Co. or some other professional dance troupe on a union-approved rate of pay. Five Star were one of the first examples of getting singers to do their own dancing/dancers to do their own singing, and cutting out the middle-men. They even beat Stock Aitken & Waterman to the idea.

The last 'live' act is Nick Kamen, who in 1986 could become a heartthrob by going into a launderette and stripping to his kecks. No doubt if a groundhopper in 2018 were to try this sort of publicity stunt, the local constabulary would be summoned and the social services properly informed!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3