mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 11, 2018, 4:46 PM

Post #1 of 10 (7714 views)
Shortcut
Cashless pubs Can't Post or Reply Privately

A small pub chain in London is now refusing to accept cash

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46507529

The man is obviously a numpty as he says "Especially in London, I don't think it's possible for you to operate if you don't have some sort of a card". I have been to matches in London twice in the last month and managed to buy pre-match drinks and meals, pay for admission and then get sustenance for the train home ... all without using a card once.

If anyone finds any more cashless pubs on their travels, please post details here so that I know to avoid them.

derekn
First Team Star

Dec 11, 2018, 5:07 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #2 of 10 (7698 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Cashless pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sounds like a great idea. He was continually being burgled so if there's no cash, there's no reason to break in. What's the magic of 'cash'? It's still money whether it's real or plastic.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Dec 11, 2018, 5:46 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #3 of 10 (7670 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

The man is obviously a numpty as he says "Especially in London, I don't think it's possible for you to operate if you don't have some sort of a card". I have been to matches in London twice in the last month and managed to buy pre-match drinks and meals, pay for admission and then get sustenance for the train home ... all without using a card once.

Whilst in London you didn't use a bus then.....?
It's the digital age , get with it.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 11, 2018, 7:26 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #4 of 10 (7623 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Cashless pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sounds like a great idea. He was continually being burgled so if there's no cash, there's no reason to break in.

Toe-rag thieving sods break into premises to steal many more thing than just cash - things like stock, valuables, personal possessions, car keys, lead, copper wiring, computers, in fact anything that ain't nailed down. If his premises have a history of break-ins, I'm afraid to report that they are likely to continue whether he has cash on site or not.

As for going cashless, I'm with Mick on this one. Perhaps this pub is one of those poncy London places that thinks it's really a restaurant and has an average spend of 20+ per transaction, but for many people in this country (and in London, too) going to the pub should be an inexpensive past-time where you're not made to feel embarrassed because you only want to spend 3 in coins on one pint. As if the pub industry weren't losing enough customers as it is without turning away the section that like to pay in cash (however small that section may or may not be). Whether in the pub, the supermarket, the bookies or anywhere else, people spending on cards can easily find themselves (whether consciously or unconsciously, whether they want to or not) spending more than they want to than they would if using cash - don't anyone think that this pub co. are doing this for any other reason than extra bonus for the top rung and some cheap publicity along the way.

As for Mick's idea of a list of pubs, here's one on the other side of the river...

The Southampton Arms
139 Highgate Road
Kentish Town
London

http://www.thesouthamptonarms.co.uk

...which ONLY accepts cash and refuses all cards. Also, they do NOT take telephone bookings, they do NOT reserve seats, or tables, or areas, they do NOT host Christmas office parties, they do NOT have a fancy website, and they do NOT do food (except for crisps, pies and pork scratchings, obviously). Instead, they stock and serve a wide range of decent beers from independent breweries, and they know how to look after and serve them properly.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Dec 11, 2018, 9:59 PM)

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 11, 2018, 7:26 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #5 of 10 (7621 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] Cashless pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In ten or 15 years, London and the Shires will be almost cashless and banks
will be a thing of the past - maybe one or two hubs in major cities and
Canary Wharf but the rest will become 'micropubs' or Dixie Chicken gaffs.

Will probably screw up begging and home invasions, to a degree but I'm sure
somebody will find a way around that - they always do as already the 'scammers'
have invented a gizmo that that they use in pubs and other places, going up
behind blokes and scanning their wallets for contactless cards.

At 30 sovs a hit, it's a nice little earner.

Went in a pub with no bar last year, now that was more disconcerting.

No doubt the People's Democratic Republic of Yorkshire will rebel, declaring
UDI and having re-introduced farthings, groats et al, the local residents
will be telling people the distance from A to B in chains and furlongs....

#duringthewar

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

noprogs
First Team Star

Dec 11, 2018, 7:34 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 10 (7609 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

If anyone finds any more cashless pubs on their travels, please post details here so that I know to avoid them.

North Brewing Co tap room, on Sovereign Street near Leeds City station is card only.Craft beer place, and also given your comments on GBG pubs in Sheffield then yes it is one for you to avoid.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 11, 2018, 7:57 PM

Post #7 of 10 (7600 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] Cashless pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It's the digital age , get with it.

"Get with it" - sounds very 60s.

Thanks to oxpete/noprogs - places to look for/avoid respectively. Keep them coming.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Dec 11, 2018, 9:50 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #8 of 10 (7534 views)
Shortcut

The GBG listed Sandbar on Grosvenor Street in Chorlton-on-Medlock in Manchester is another which only takes card (or bitcoin!). Chorlton-on-Medlock is a separate place from Chorlton-cum-Hardy, so at least there are no football grounds nearby for unwary visitors to Maine Road or West Didsbury & Chorlton to get embarrassed.

I don't mind pubs or bars taking card payment for drinks (as said, it is safer for the staff) but refusing to take cash must just deter customers, especially older ones, which may be part of a plan in establishng an image.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 12, 2018, 3:09 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #9 of 10 (7433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Cashless pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There's a wonderful film short on YouTube were a guy in the
States gets the once over by the TSA, who suspect he's got
a bag load of Bitcoin with him.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 5, 2019, 9:11 PM

Post #10 of 10 (305 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Cashless pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Today, walking past the Milestone 'gastropub' in the rapidly gentryfying area of Kelham Island, I spotted a sign saying they no longer accept cash.

I, though, was on my way to the Fat Cat which has obviously not succumbed to such nonsense.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3