Southern Germany weekender

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 9, 2018, 12:23 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #1 of 10 (886 views)
Shortcut
Southern Germany weekender Can't Post or Reply Privately

My final continental jaunt of this year saw me hook up with catchagogoal for the Friday morning 08.55 Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt arriving at 11.30 at a return cost of 117. It's a huge old terminal and was fair old jaunt to the inter-city platform but loads of time to catch an onward train to Nurnberg Hbf where we ensconsed ourselves in the food hall awaiting the arrival of colpic who was flying Manchester to Nurnberg. What a pleasant change from UK rail stations with their average and overpriced food options as we chose some Thai fodder washed down with an excellent Monschof Marzen from the adjacent bar. Our game was an 18.30 kick-off at Furth which is only seven minutes away by regular train, total fare from Frankfurt 31.90 Euro.
Bags dumped at Furth Hbf, we took the metro to Rathaus and wandered into the very pleasant old cobbled part of town for a couple of snifters before taking the free bus from outside the metro to the ground, a journey of only ten minutes which would have been easily walkable.
Friday November 2 : Bundesliga 2 - Greuther Furth 2 Bochum 2. Admission 30 Euro; Programme free. Attendance : 8,750
I'd booked pensioners tickets for the three of us which were never checked; it only saved 5 Euro per ticket but that's almost a sausage and beer so worth it! Furth could have gone top with a win tonight while Bochum also have promotion ambitions, so the size of the crowd surprised me in a stadium that holds 18,000. Furth spent just the one season in the top division in 2012/13 and finished bottom but ongoing ground developments suggest they fancy another crack at it. We had excellent seats near half-way opposite what looks like a new main stand which is still being added to and there are still substantial terraced areas at each end. After a slow start. Bochum took control with former Forest and Birmingham man Robert Tesche putting them ahead, a lead that was doubled in first-half injury time. Whether they thought the game was won at that stage is a moot point but Furth came to life in the second period and eventually grabbed a leveller in the 91st minute. An excellent open game on a mild evening. Straight onto a (free) bus to Furth Hbf with trains to Nurnberg, Ingolstadt and finally Augsburg just after eleven for 19.90 Euro.
We'd booked two nights at the Ibis about 400 yards from the station costing 59.70 per night for a single with breakfast. After a long day, we didn't wander into the centre of town which was about 15 minutes walk away, instead settling into the Commerzienrat which had some excellent strong bottled ales from the ubiquitous local brewer, Brauhaus Riegele.
Breakfast was decent and varied and unusually for one of our foreign jaunts, we had time to kill before the 15.30 kick-off with the other two tootling off for a couple of hours sightseeing. About 13.00 we headed for the brewery HQ, Riegele Wirtshaus, which was only 5 minutes or so the other side of the station and which is a hugely impressive place with massive bars, bottle stores and dining halls. Oh, and loads of the local stuff where we chose the 7.5% Speziator.
The WWK Arena is several miles south of the city and trams leave from in front of the station every few minutes from two hours before kick-off. They do stop along the route but hardly anyone was able to squeeze on so if taking this route, go to stop one in Bahnhofstrasse. It's free of course and takes 20 minutes or so with another 15 minutes walk to the entry points of the ground.

Saturday November 3 : Bundesliga - Augsburg 2 Nuernberg 2. Admission 49 Euro; Programme 1 Euro. Attendance : 30,660 (ausverkauft)
The Augsburg Arena opened in 2009 replacing the old Rosenaustadion which was in the main a large open bowl, still there not far from the station and used by the club's reserve side in the Regionalliga Bayern (fourth level). Fortuitously I suppose, Augsburg won promotion to the Bundesliga for the first time in their history in 2010/11 under current Sheffield Wednesday boss Jos Luhukay and to the amazement of many, have remained there ever since finishing 5th three years ago - a long way from the Oberliga Bayern where they lurked as recently as 2002.
The stadium was full today for this local derby (92 miles away) and currently has just over 19,000 seats and 11,000 standing places though many of the posh seats in the main stand weren't taken up at all; think Club Wembley. In many ways, it's a fairly unremarkable new build capable of being expanded to hold 49,000 - they might need more than one tram route in should that ever occur. We had seats toward the rear of the stand which was a hefty climb but with excellent sightlines and a good atmosphere inside with thousands of Nurnberg fans everywhere; thankfully there wasn't a hint of bother.
Stadium fodder and drinks require a club card which wasn't really a hassle - cost 2 euro, available all over the concourse and easily exchangable after the game. The one thing we missed on the concourse was the statue of club legend Helmut Haller which had colpic musing whether he still had his runners-up medal!
Another decent game albeit with few chances; prolific Icelander Finnbogason and Schmid twice put Augsburg ahead with Fuchs and Muhlk (88) replying for Nurnberg who were fully deserving of a point.
Back in the city we watched the Arsenal-Liverpool game in Murdocks Irish Pub (Superfreunde Till Death superb) sharing a table with a bunch of chaps from Ulm who were going for it. After the first round of zambucas we beat a hasty retreat before things got messy. Fodder and ale was taken at the Brauhaus 1516 at the station with the intention of finishing off back at the Riegele Wirtshaus but we ran out of gas.........

Sunday's start was disappointing in that we'd lined up an early kick-off near Ulm to watch FC Origami which looked good on paper but on arrival there were no posts in situ and we learned that the club had folded.
So it was trains to Ulm, changing for Heidenheim and arriving about midday for the 13.30 kick-off. It's a small town and station with only a handful of lockers, none available. There are buses to the ground but as there was a cab outside and no sign of the bus, we jumped in for the ten-minute ride (8 euro)

Sunday November 4 : Bundesliga 2 - Heidenheim 1 Erzgebirge Aue 0. Admission 24 Euro; Programme free. Attendance : 10,300
As recently as 2004, Heidenheim were in the Verbandsliga Wurttemberg playing at a typically lower league ground with a running track and one small stand, as evidenced in the History book browsed through in the club shop. The Voith Arena now holds 15,000 with a mix of seats and terracing and is a very pleasant stadium indeed, located atop a hill outside the town, behind the castle that dominated the skyline. The air was noticeably crisper but, as it had been all weekend, the weather was fine and dry. Ideal weather for a superb Feuerwurst followed by gluhwein. No clubcards here, indeed there's a wonderful small club vibe about the whole place that was really appealing. I should add that on the approach to the ground, there's a left luggage depository where we dumped the bags. Free!
Heidenheim gained promotion to Bundesliga 2 for the first time in 2013/14 and again they've surprised people by thriving at this level, ending this weekend in sixth just 2 points off the play-off place. They thoroughly deserved to beat their visitors from near the Czech border whose fans, had they come by train, would not have made it home till 05.41 next morning!
And that was that apart from catching trains to Aalen, Stuttgart, Mannheim and Frankfurt - a pricey 39.90 euro due to the ICE trains involved - for the slightly delayed 22.05 back to Brum and thanks to catchagogoal I was indoors about 23.30
A good haul of grounds and good company for the weekend in decent weather. Next trip to Netherlands in early January might be a tad cooler.......

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Nov 11, 2018, 1:17 AM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 9, 2018, 6:39 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #2 of 10 (860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Southern Germany weekender [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The bar next to the station in Heidenheim stored my bag when I went last season. Naturally I took a beer there before taking the bus up the hill

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

BDA_85
Youth Team Star

Nov 9, 2018, 9:28 AM

Post #3 of 10 (820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Southern Germany weekender [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There's some great info in there which is greatly received. Will read yor report on your Dutch trip with equal interest.

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 9, 2018, 11:25 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #4 of 10 (786 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
My final continental jaunt of this season
Next trip to Netherlands in early January might be a tad cooler.......

I assume you either meant "year" or "autumn"

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

paulh66

Nov 9, 2018, 11:51 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #5 of 10 (773 views)
Shortcut

... we'd lined up an early kick-off near Ulm to watch FC Origami which looked good on paper but on arrival there were no posts in situ and we learned that the club had folded.

Cool
I creased up reading that..

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 9, 2018, 12:01 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #6 of 10 (766 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Southern Germany weekender [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
... we'd lined up an early kick-off near Ulm to watch FC Origami which looked good on paper but on arrival there were no posts in situ and we learned that the club had folded.

Cool

=============================================

Practice most mornings , have to origami my folds to get trousers on !

============================================

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 121 / 99 / 22(You know my rules) @ 21 /11 /2018.(Only 8 x 0-0's)
Benelux. Bel = 0-0-0- ( 0-0-0 ) - ( 5-0-0-1 ) Lux = 0-0. Neth = 0-0-0 - ( 2 - 1 ).
Scotland Senior 0-0-0-0-(0-0)-EastofS -1 NofS 0 - SouthofS -2 - Junior (0-0-0)-(0-0-1-0)-(0-0)-(0).
N I = 0-0-5. ROI =0-0-( Leinster-2 , Munster-2, Ulster -0.) Wales =0- (0-0).
Scan Den=1-1, Faroes=8, Fin=0-2, Ice=0-3, Nor=0-9, Swe=0-1. Baltics Est= 0, Lat= 2, Lith=1.

buncranaboy

Nov 9, 2018, 2:34 PM

Post #7 of 10 (693 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Southern Germany weekender [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Cool

Are you Russell?

paulh66

Nov 9, 2018, 3:48 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #8 of 10 (671 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Cool

Are you Russell?

Feintly remember him. Lived by the A4.

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 9, 2018, 5:40 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #9 of 10 (634 views)
Shortcut

Great write up mate. I could almost imagine being there...

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

buncranaboy

Nov 11, 2018, 1:24 AM

Post #10 of 10 (455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Southern Germany weekender [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
My final continental jaunt of this season
Next trip to Netherlands in early January might be a tad cooler.......

I assume you either meant "year" or "autumn"

Julie Amended.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3