Football Leaks

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 3, 2018, 8:57 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #1 of 7 (879 views)
Shortcut
Football Leaks Can't Post or Reply Privately

What I believe to be the first in a series of articles has just been published by German magazine, Spiegel.

The stories in question, that Manchester City and Paris Saint Germain have got away with breaching UEFA's Financial Fair Play regulations, and that top European Leagues are again kicking around the European Super League idea should not be a surprise to anyone

Still, they are worthy of a read, (and helpfully, these links are to English variations of the stories)

Man City, PSG, FFP: http://www.spiegel.de/...eikhs-a-1236414.html

Super League: http://www.spiegel.de/...clubs-a-1236447.html

Infantino: http://www.spiegel.de/...-rule-a-1236439.html

Leaks Guide: http://www.spiegel.de/...ntino-a-1236277.html

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

(This post was edited by leohoenig on Nov 3, 2018, 9:45 AM)

BDA_85
Youth Team Star

Nov 5, 2018, 9:50 AM

Post #2 of 7 (702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Football Leaks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

An interesting read. If it's going to happen then the sooner the better so that everyone else can move on.

007Dale
First Team Regular

Nov 5, 2018, 10:39 AM

Post #3 of 7 (671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Football Leaks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Spurs won’t be happy

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Nov 5, 2018, 2:36 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #4 of 7 (618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Football Leaks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The European Super League

Are fans, paying and tv, going to maintain interest in a competition where the top 11 founder members will be exempt from relegation for 20 years? Fans are already bored with the drawn out group stages of the CL.

From what I read of the article, teams, or at least founder members will withdraw from their national leagues. This creates the situation of (1) the non founder teams completing in this super league, do they have to resign from their national leagues and what happens if they are relegated from the super league and (2) what happens to a founder member teams after 20 years if it is relegated? I'll guess at (2) in that a second tier would have been established before that happens.

007Dale
First Team Regular

Nov 5, 2018, 3:20 PM

Post #5 of 7 (608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Football Leaks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My guess on all this is that it’s just being used as negotiation tactics for a bigger slice of the pie.

I personally don’t believe the 5 English teams would ever want to quit the PL - they make much more money from that than they could from some sort of franchise super league.

However, the equal share of PL rights might be the thing that they want to go after with this.

As for Europe - I can see why PSG, Real and Barcelona might want it - but i put the Bundesliga in a similar camp as the PL.

Maybe some sort of Iberia & France league might work - PSG, Barcelona, Madrid, Atlético, Marseille, Lyon, Benfica, Porto, Sporting etc

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 6, 2018, 12:43 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #6 of 7 (481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Football Leaks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
My guess on all this is that it’s just being used as negotiation tactics for a bigger slice of the pie.

I personally don’t believe the 5 English teams would ever want to quit the PL - they make much more money from that than they could from some sort of franchise super league.

However, the equal share of PL rights might be the thing that they want to go after with this.

As for Europe - I can see why PSG, Real and Barcelona might want it - but i put the Bundesliga in a similar camp as the PL.

Maybe some sort of Iberia & France league might work - PSG, Barcelona, Madrid, Atlético, Marseille, Lyon, Benfica, Porto, Sporting etc

When I was in Berlin at the weekend, German TV was full of it. Bayern are prime movers in this.

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 6, 2018, 6:38 PM

Post #7 of 7 (405 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Football Leaks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I imagine the English clubs would be happy to continue with their current lot but if teams who get far less domestic money are going to make things happen the English clubs won't want to be left behind.

I wonder what knock on effects this would have in the domestic leagues and I think the only place to look for comparison is baseball in the US. it's the only sport/country with the depth of clubs across the entire country that you see in European football.

Pro baseball has been organised as a business from the very beginning, with leagues being organised by businessmen looking for a new venture. Promotion and relegation have never played a part and the 'clubs' have always been businesses and not member's clubs as happened here.

Minor league baseball clubs are predominantly affiliated to major league clubs, the latter holding all olayers' contracts and paying their wages while the minor league club takes care of all other business. In this regard, rather than Chelsea having loanees all over the place they might have entire teams playing 'the Chelsea way' in the colours of other clubs with long histories.

I can't imagine people taken too kindly to it but with a worldwide market from which to draw its fan dollar I don't imagine bums on seats at affiliated clubs would be much of a priority for Chelsea. They'd probably let everyone in free anyway.

It's not the game I grew up with and I would find it hard to muster much interest but I suspect I'd be in the minority fairly quickly. When affiliations became the norm in baseball in the 1920s there was outcry in some quarters but generations of fans hac e come and gone since and the sport is going strong.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3