Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 19, 2015, 2:59 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #51 of 76 (43838 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Oxford now have had near promotion form over the last few games - using squad players, or that is what was said on Radio Oxford yesterday though a bit late in the day but a charge to midtable mediocrity is better than nothing I suppose. And just for Oxpete they have managed at least for now to get above Pompey!. They quite like Appleton now or some of them do. The Football League Show said they scored a wonderfully worked goal yesterday, when the Roofe fell in on Tranmere.

Hmmm... different manager but same old players, I think. This isn't the first time that Oxford United have churned out some exceptionally good form at the end of a lousy season - too many players working for their new contracts or to put themselves favourably in the shop window.

Believe it or not, I am actually really happy for Michael Appleton, and I'm glad he'll now get the opportunity to have a proper stab at next season. However, he really does need to hoof out most of the dead wood. There are some useful youngsters coming through that he could make use of, and a figurehead of some sort for the fans to get behind would be no bad thing - I think they've missed Constable more than anyone realises (and looking at his form at Eastleigh this season, he can certainly still hack it at League Two level).

As for Pompey..... Unsure

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

May 2, 2015, 8:14 PM

Post #52 of 76 (43253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or

What a strange ending for Oxford, today's win at Newport (they have also won at Plymouth, Wycombe and Bury) saw them finish on a season high of 13th level on points with Northampton but with a slightly worst goal difference. The season in the end was actually positive, won as many as they lost with a goal difference of plus one. They lost the same number of games as Plymouth who are in the play-offs and finished (I think) just 9 points off of said play-offs and 20 points clear of relegation. As one caller said on Radio Oxford we have now had 15 strange seasons. It's a good job football in this country is not played from January to December as 2014 would have seen them relegated, but 2015 would see them near the top of the league. Consistently inconsistent and not only Oxford. The real positive is they have blooded youngsters and though using far to many loan signings at least they seemed to have broken the jobs for the journeymen boys ethic (the never have been never will be players) that a number of their managers have employed over the past 15 or so years.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 21, 2018, 9:56 PM

Post #53 of 76 (41541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It'd be good to know what ACMold and Chris1963 think of this thread. Another season underway with four straight defeats, but the fans are definitely NOT happy this time...

Starting with a 0-4 stuffing at Barnsley...

Then a 0-2 home defeat to a very non-descript Fleetwood...

Then a no-doubt wonderful match, losing 1-4 at Portsmouth...

And tonight losing 2-3 at home to Accrington Stanley, after twice being a goal up.

A newly-purchased back-four have now let in 13 goals in four matches.

Their only decent player - the goalie Eastwood - is out after breaking his finger in the warm-up before the Fleetwood match.

The Thai owner Tiger is not well known for his patience.

And Oxford United fans are already shouting down the lines onto the radio waves to remind everyone that Michael Appleton is presently looking for a job!

My favourite headlines so far this season:

"Fearless U's Are Raring To Go!" immediately before the 0-4 stuffing at Barnsley.

And "Bumper Crowd Will Spur Me On, Says Oxford United Winger Gavin Whyte" before the 1-4 stuffing at Pompey.

Oxford United FC - the gift that just keeps on giving!

007Dale
First Team Regular

Aug 21, 2018, 10:18 PM

Post #54 of 76 (41529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It'd be good to know what ACMold and Chris1963 think of this thread. Another season underway with four straight defeats, but the fans are definitely NOT happy this time...!

Well, you wont be getting a response from Chris1963 - hes been banned for some fairly appalling racism.

My view re Oxford - possible National League team (again) in two years.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 21, 2018, 10:20 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #55 of 76 (41527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

]

Well, you wont be getting a response from Chris1963 - hes been banned for some fairly appalling racism.

You sure about that? Wink

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 21, 2018, 10:29 PM

Post #56 of 76 (41524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
My view re Oxford - possible National League team (again) in two years.

Last time this thread was active, I was left with egg on my face - laughing at Oxford United's woes all season, and yet they still managed to finish above Pompey that year. We've got a twelve-point lead over them at the moment, but I've seen us throw away even bigger gaps than that in the past...

Karl Robinson's win ratio at Oxford United: 26.7% with four wins in fifteen matches.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 10, 2018, 2:24 AM

Post #57 of 76 (41240 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday's Oxford Mail...

"Oxford United Are Ready For Screen Test, Says John Mousinho"

...and from manager Karl Robinson...

"We have done our homework as usual, worked hard and prepared properly and by the time we kick-off at midday tomorrow, we will be fully ready to take on Coventry."

Sunday...

Oxford United 1 Coventry City 2

On BBC Radio Wazzock, they made much out of the fact that OUFC were on a four-match unbeaten run, but seemed to brush over the reality that this included a point against 10-man Sunderland and cup wins versus Newport and Fulham U21s (which have also cosmetically pumped up Karl's win ratio, too). Their league form is still pretty dire, with five losses in seven so far this season - next week's visit to Wycombe Wanderers has now got added tension...

The pre- and post-match vox-pops were, as always, highly entertaining. Before kick-off the three wise monkeys actually managed to track down a local madman who predicted a 5-0 win for Oxford! However, after some more sloppy defending and goalie howlers, they seemed unable to find the same bloke afterwards, so instead interrogated a former poster of this forum who seemed able to sum up all OUFC's problems within sixty seconds, something Karl Robinson seems totally unable to do! Laurence for manager, eh?! Wink

It has to be said, League One really does have a weak look to it this season. Personally, I don't think Sunderland's problems are over yet, and some of their fans are getting just a little too overexcited at the moment about some really rather mundane results. All of the top five (Posh, Pompey, Barnsley, Sunderland and Walsall) are all still undefeated, but I doubt any of them would survive if transplanted into the Championship - Pompey apparently struggled to get a fortunate point at home to Shrewsbury. I still think Charlton will continue to improve as the coming weeks pass, but I doubt I'd slap money on any of the others with much confidence.

Karl Robinson's win ratio at Oxford United: 35% with seven wins in twenty matches.

Swindon Addick
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 12, 2018, 7:53 AM

Team(s): Cambridge City, Charlton Athletic

Post #58 of 76 (41097 views)
Shortcut

10 clubs at the moment with 1 point per game or less, and no-one massively behind. At present it looks like the relegation battle may be quite competitive.

Cambridge City - on a tour of places we've never heard of and can't spell.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 24, 2018, 11:50 PM

Post #59 of 76 (40803 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Swindon Addick] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another floater in Oxford United's swimming pool of life...

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/...-at-an-all-time-low/

...this time to do with their never-ending feud with landlord Firoz Kassam, who claims that the club owe him over 600,000 in service charges. OUFC counter this by pointing out the fact that the ground is rubbish, fans report no hot water in the north and east stand toilets, pigeon droppings over many of the seats in the south stand, and the unbelievable situation where the OUFC sponsor's product Singha Beer is not allowed to be sold inside the ground. And that's before we even get onto the subject of the historic listed wreck that is the Priory pub.

Rather than worrying about his continuing disaster in the goalie position, Karl Robinson has decided to start blaming the ground too, firstly pointing out that OUFC has to pay Firoz 3000 if they want to train on the pitch on a non-match day, and then spouting the bleedin' obvious that it's:

...probably the worst designed stadium in the country. Honestly, we hate playing there. It doesn't feel like home."

You think it's bad, Karl, you shoulda seen the place when London Welsh RFC were soiling it! Firoz hit back with...

"For the manager to blame the stadium for their poor results is rubbish."

Chairman Tiger now says he wants to move OUFC out of the Kassam Stadium, though their contract still has about seven years to run, and I doubt that Firoz will agree to end it early even if he did get his 600k. All rather messy at the moment, not helped by...

Oxford United 1-2 Walsall

Oxford United are second-bottom of League Two with five points and six defeats from nine league matches this season. But not to worry, it's only Manchester City up next!

Karl Robinson's win ratio at Oxford United is 31.8%, with seven wins from twenty-two matches.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Sep 24, 2018, 11:53 PM)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 30, 2018, 9:47 PM

Post #60 of 76 (40611 views)
Shortcut

Saturday morning's Oxford Mail...

"Oxford United Must Silence Doubters, Says John Mousinho"

Saturday afternoon's scoreline...

AFC Wimbledon 2-1 Oxford United and another dreadful performance.

After the match, there was more of that "We're better than this" talk on the radio and on the Oxford Mail website, and yet the fans are already lost to it. Earlier this season, his post-match comments were always along the lines of losing to the top teams (Barnsley, Pompey, Fleetwood) is not necessarily a bad thing, because everyone else still has to play them (and presumably lose as well). But now OUFC are losing to the lower teams too - Wimbledon hadn't won at home all season before this match, but OUFC lost despite having plenty of possession. And he's not helped his corner by going on about the good performance v. Manchester City or the meaningless wins v. Newport and Fulham U21s. These matches really do not matter when you're second-bottom. His next problem is going to be running out of excuses...

Now Robinson is on about bringing in more back-room staff, but do you really let someone making a right pig's meal of your club bring in even MORE baggage? He's been unlucky with the injury to goalkeeper Eastwood, but many of the other players are his own signings, and they're proving out of their depth week after week, especially upfront. Unfortunately, I can't help but think that Chairman Tiger needs to take some responsibility for all this. He badly dragged his feet in the painfully slow process of recruiting Robinson as manager in the first place, and had the cheek to make it a long drawn-out drum-roll that he called the WOW factor! It made him look stupid and out-of-touch at the time, and now looks even worse. Even if/when Robinson goes, I wouldn't trust Tiger to get it right next time either.

Robinson has two matches at most (if he's lucky) to get it right, and getting it right probably means six points or else. Those two matches are at home to Luton Town on Tuesday night and away at Southend United next Saturday (both at midtable, in 12th and 13th) - Luton in particular will be a difficult match - there'll be a large away following, and if the match turns against Oxford early on, I can see the home crowd turning ugly. If Tiger gives Robinson the bullet, it'll give the new incumbent (presuming they're already considering someone?) winnable matches to start off with: home to Cobblers in the Checkatrade, and then the vitally important match at home to bottom-placed Plymouth on Saturday 13th. Unless Robinson turns things around fast, I doubt he'll be given the opportunity to cock up that one, too.

Oxford United are still second-bottom of League One, with five points and seven defeats from ten league matches this season.

Karl Robinson's win ratio at Oxford United is 29.2%, with seven wins from twenty-four matches.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Sep 30, 2018, 10:13 PM)

pilgrim46
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 1, 2018, 10:35 AM

Team(s): Plymouth Argyle, any non league team in Devon & Cornwall

Post #61 of 76 (40538 views)
Shortcut

After Saturdays debacle at home to Doncaster if Robinson is still in charge for the Plymouth game on Saturday 13th, maybe he & Derek Adams can swap their books of excuses. They might find a couple of new ones that they both can use Wink

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 1, 2018, 8:39 PM

Post #62 of 76 (40426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pilgrim46] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
After Saturdays debacle at home to Doncaster if Robinson is still in charge for the Plymouth game on Saturday 13th, maybe he & Derek Adams can swap their books of excuses. They might find a couple of new ones that they both can use Wink

Plymouth were in a similar position for much of the first half of last season, if I remember rightly, and they managed to dig themselves out of that hole in quite some style. The knowledge that they've done it once and so can do it again might just be enough to keep the heads of the fans and the directors just focused enough to remain calm. The other thing that I notice is that (excluding the defeats to the top two of Pompey and Posh), all of Plymouth's defeats this season have been by just one goal. Perhaps the situation isn't quite as desperate at Home Park as the table makes it look (though you'll obviously be in a better position to judge that than me).

The problem with Oxford United is that the club, many of the players, some of the fans, the manager and especially the chairman have definitely not been in this position before, or at least for a good few years. Chairman Tiger has come into the club with a very high opinion of himself, and Robinson's times at MK and at Charlton tended to be marked with very good early-season form. Plenty of those of the yellow persuasion - manager, players, fans, media and chairman - are genuinely scratching their heads in confusion, disbelief and denial at the moment, and I doubt that things will improve for Oxford until they all start properly admitting the faults that exist to themselves and doing something about it (and until Eastwood's hand gets better, too).

OUFC's ability to perform a headless-chicken style when the going gets squiffy is something that they are illustrating yet again at the moment. And they're not the only ones - I notice that Bradford City seem to be quickly losing grasp of reality at the moment, too. From a Plymouth point-of-view, I think those two are definitely catchable if you can turn things around over the coming six weeks or so. Good luck!

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 1, 2018, 10:22 PM

Post #63 of 76 (40369 views)
Shortcut

Desperate times call for desperate actions...

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/...-uniteds-torrid-run/

...Karl Robinson is now looking for a psychologist to tell him why his players are so rubbish! The ridicule this story is generating among the OUFC fans will not be doing his cause any good at all...

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 2, 2018, 10:30 PM

Post #64 of 76 (40194 views)
Shortcut

Tonight's final score...

Oxford United 1-2 Luton Town

...with the stats and the radio commentary suggesting that Luton dominated this, with 58% possession, eight shots on goal and eleven corners. Oxford United threw away the lead, their captain Shandon Baptiste was sent off with about twenty minutes to go, and Luton's winner came on 90+8mins - kicks in the teeth all round, though the performance still sounded poor. In Karl Robinson's post-match talk, he says:

"I'm staring down the tunnel and there is no light at the end of it."

More bad news for Karl comes with an away win for Bradford City and a good away point for Plymouth at Barnsley. Saturday's opponents Southend United also won away.

Oxford United are still second-bottom, with five points and eight defeats in eleven matches.

Karl Robinson's win ratio at Oxford United is 28% with seven wins in twenty-five matches.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Oct 2, 2018, 10:57 PM)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 6, 2018, 10:25 PM

Post #65 of 76 (35233 views)
Shortcut

A mixture of good news and bad news for OUFC today, though your point of view probably depends upon whether or not your name is Karl Robinson.

First the good news...

Southend United 0-0 Oxford United

...which means they didn't lose!

Southend have been on a good run of late, with three successive wins before today leaving them comfortably just above mid-table and within shooting-distance of the play-off fringes. Their manager Chris Powell is a good man who'll do well for them. So all in all, not a bad result - there are plenty of sides at the top of League One who'll be grateful for a point and a clean sheet from Roots Hall this season. Defeats for Wimbledon, Bradford and Bristol Rovers today helps to shrink the gap ever so slightly, and it's proof that there are plenty of other misfiring sides at the foot of the table. Where there's life, there's hope...

And now the bad news...

Even the three wise monkeys on BBC Radio Cretin couldn't hide the fact that, in their own words, this was an appalling match. Only one shot on target for each side, with Oxford's coming in the final seconds of stoppage-time. By the sounds of things, the conditions weren't good - blustery wind and heavy rain at times, it sounded like players on both sides found it difficult to control the ball. The point and clean-sheet might help their confidence a little, but it's still shaky foundations upon which to build any sort of revival.

More bad news comes from the away support, with only 460 OUFC fans making the relative easy journey to Essex. This compares to the consistent away turn-out of about 1300 who made the journeys to each of Barnsley, Portsmouth and Sunderland earlier in the season. There were apparently only about 400 or so who traveled to AFC Wimbledon the other week, the first time Oxford have been to Kingsmeadow and not sold their full allocation of tickets for what is one of the easiest away trips of the season. To lose two-thirds of your loyal away support in such a short period of time does not bode well.

More bad news for Karl came from Devon today, in the shape of...

Plymouth Argyle 1-0 AFC Wimbledon

...which is the result that lifts Argyle up one place and dumps Oxford back onto bottom. Symbolic rather than fatal this early in the season, but the season is now more than a quarter of the way through. It also adds extra spice to next Saturday's match, where Plymouth are the visitors to the Kassam Stadium. Jumping off the bottom might just put Plymouth in the psychological driving seat - they'll probably be happy with a draw (and they've two winnable fixtures after that too, at home to Burton and Gillingham), while the pressure for a home win is very much dumped upon Karl's shoulders. But maybe the stress isn't really that bad for him - the monkeys on the radio palmed him off with some more powder-puff questioning this evening, then cut the time for any irate fans on the telephones by devoting a big chunk of the post-match programme to talk about tomorrow's fun-run in the city centre (such is the dynamic edge of Oxfordshire sport). In fact, they did not field a single phone call from an Oxford United fan today. Seriously? Their club goes bottom, and the local BBC journalists cannot find a single ticket-buying member of the support to get on the telephone? Perhaps nobody did phone up, or maybe it's another case of a positive gloss being put on a situation that the mugs who pay at the turnstiles don't agree with...

I've kept a closer eye than normal this past week upon the OUFC fans' forum and the comments sections on the Oxford Mail site, and honestly cannot ever remember reading such vitriol aimed at a manager before. Which is terrible - Karl Robinson is a normal bloke with a family, and shouldn't have to cope with some of the things being said at the moment, whether that be shouted from the East Stand or written on the internet. But tonight I can't help feeling that a large chunk of Oxford's support are scratching their heads in disbelief that Robinson is still there after such a long run of awful results. Immediately after the Luton match, plenty of the fans were almost content with the injury-time defeat, thinking that Robinson was inevitably on his way. How wrong! I suspect this is what you get when your chairman is based 5000 miles away. As I've said before, Oxford United is the gift that just keeps on giving, though I'd be stretching things outside the bounds of reality to think they'll still be drowning in this quagmire of despair when Pompey visit in January (though we can always hope!)

A week ago I said Karl needed six points from six v. Luton and Southend to keep in his job, but what the hell do I know! Next week's match v. Plymouth is now huge, followed very quickly by an away trip to struggling Bristol Rovers. I'll put my head on the block and predict both matches will finish drawn.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Oct 6, 2018, 10:38 PM)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 7, 2018, 2:04 AM

Post #66 of 76 (34905 views)
Shortcut

Ooops! I forgot to add the important bit...

Oxford United are now bottom of league One, with six points and one win from twelve league matches.

Karl Robinson's win ratio at Oxford United is 26.9%, with seven wins from twenty-six matches in all competitions.

BDA_85
Youth Team Star

Oct 8, 2018, 11:12 AM

Post #67 of 76 (31385 views)
Shortcut

My Southend supporting colleague isn't too happy this morning as on Friday we were discussing 4-0, 5-0, 6-0 type outcomes...

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 11, 2018, 9:52 PM

Post #68 of 76 (18895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Decided it was about time I took a look at the developing slow-motion car-crash presently taking place down on Grenoble Road. Fortunately, it also corresponded with my regular foray into supporting Northampton Town, so I had a thoroughly enjoyable evening in among the Cobblers' fans at...

Oxford United 1-2 Northampton Town

For two sides in desperate league positions, both in states of crisis off the pitch, playing in a competition as despised and maligned as the Checkatrade, this was a surprisingly good football match. Both sets of players showed fight and passion, Kevin van Veen scored a wundergoal from 25yards, and even when 2-1 up the Cobblers' didn't resort to the timewasting tactics you might expect a side to, but kept on attacking for a third. Excellent value for just 10. Ultimately, the result wasn't important - even with this defeat, Oxford United are in a strong position to qualify from the Checkatrade group section in a competition in which they have a strong and proud recent record. The team played quite well against robust opposition, and several of the squad's better players were welcomed back from injury, including arguably their best player goalkeeper Simon Eastwood.

However, what with everything else that's going on on Planet Kassam at the moment, the result actually WAS deemed important. If eight matches without a win is the wood and kindling beneath Karl Robinson's chair, this defeat to a Northampton Town presently 22nd in League Two is the can of petrol being spashed around his feet, and a defeat at home to Plymouth this coming Saturday will almost certainly be the struck match being tossed in his direction.

Whatever happens over the coming weeks and months, this match has still cemented itself into the record books. With an attendance of just 929, this is OUFC's lowest ever first-team home attendance (certainly since they changed their name from Headington in 1960). There were 117 Cobblers' fans, with most others sitting in the two tiers of the South Stand. The East Stand, which is home to Oxford's most vocal, loyal and passionate support, was notable for its near emptiness - well under a hundred people. Maybe even under eighty had I bothered to headcount. Despite entry being only 10 for what has over recent seasons become a spicy local derby, I can only presume that the regulars in the East Stand were making a very definite statement in their non-attendance.

For the second consecutive match, the BBC Radio Oxford phone-in had NO aired phonecalls. My guess is that they really didn't want to risk it. Listening to the on-air witterings on this station, you'd sometimes be forgiven for thinking that there's nothing wrong at all at Oxford United FC, because their summing-up rarely tallies with what you can read on the OUFC fans' forum. Another guess is that the hosts know which side their bread is buttered and don't want to rock the boat - in his post-match summary on Tuesday night, Peter Rhoades-Brown (employed by both BBC and OUFC) was as vague as ever when he said:

"Win, lose or draw tonight, Saturday is a totally different game... The boys will be up for it for certain. Totally different ball-game on Saturday because we've got to be up for it, because we've got to. And the crowd will turn up on Saturday, and it is what it is, but we need a win Saturday... On paper we're a decent side, just need to get it together, a bit more confidence... We'll have a blooming good go at it."

Fortunately, his colleague Selfy decided to be a little more articulate, informative, insightful, brave and honest in his summary...

"We've got to look at this in a bit more in context - we've just lost at home to Northampton Town. Whether it be Checkatrade or not, the side that went out there had all first-team experience... but we couldn't find a way to win. That does worry me. We've got Plymouth this weekend, our home record is a staggering five defeats and one win... we may write off different games, we may be blase about different games, but irrespective of that we can't win a game of football. We don't look as if we can win a game of football."

...before going on to explain that this isn't about relegation to League Two, but the strong possibility of relegation to the National League. He also went on to correctly state that the man most important in sorting the mess out is sat 5000 miles away in Bangkok, and that nothing is going to get better until OUFC are brave enough to sit down and make friends with their landlord. It's good to hear at least one person on the local airwaves talking some sense.

Oxford United are presently a club in crisis both on and off the pitch. Should Plymouth Argyle play on Saturday with even half of the charisma that Cobblers showed on Tuesday, Oxford are going to find themselves in a desperate and possibly irreversible position.

Karl Robinson's win ratio at Oxford United is now 25.9% with seven wins in twenty-seven matches in all competitions.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Oct 12, 2018, 1:45 AM)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 12, 2018, 10:17 PM

Post #69 of 76 (17582 views)
Shortcut

For anyone who likes a bet, Ladbroke and Coral are both offering odds of 12-1 against a 0-0 draw between Oxford United and Plymouth tomorrow...

Considering the league positions of both sides, the pressure on both managers, the desire not the lose all round, and the fact that most defeats for both sides this season have tended to be by the odd goal, I reckon there is a good chance it could end all square.

Also, it is presently blowing a gale in Oxford at the moment from the south-west, and will continue to do so through until late afternoon tomorrow (though with no rain forecast). That means strong wind howling straight through the giant gap where they never built a fourth stand and straight down the pitch. When the Kassam plays host to such conditions, it is always a thoroughly dreadful match...

Note: I will NOT be refunding any Kempsterites who take up this gem of a tip, but then complain to me when OUFC ship in six! Tongue

pilgrim46
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 15, 2018, 10:03 AM

Team(s): Plymouth Argyle, any non league team in Devon & Cornwall

Post #70 of 76 (16847 views)
Shortcut

I don't suppose we're going to get too many thanks from Oxford fans for prolonging Robinson's tenure for another week at least. Plymouth's 2-0 defeat on Saturday did not come as a surprise to the vast majority of Argyle fans Frown We have a new Chairman from 1 November so maybe Adams will beat Robinson in the sack race after all Wink

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 15, 2018, 4:30 PM

Post #71 of 76 (16810 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
For anyone who likes a bet, Ladbroke and Coral are both offering odds of 12-1 against a 0-0 draw between Oxford United and Plymouth tomorrow...

Considering the league positions of both sides, the pressure on both managers, the desire not the lose all round, and the fact that most defeats for both sides this season have tended to be by the odd goal, I reckon there is a good chance it could end all square.

Relatively few football matches end 0-0, so offering odds of 12/1 makes sense, regardless of how poor at scoring the clubs in question are.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 16, 2018, 12:07 AM

Post #72 of 76 (16727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pilgrim46] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I don't suppose we're going to get too many thanks from Oxford fans for prolonging Robinson's tenure for another week at least. Plymouth's 2-0 defeat on Saturday did not come as a surprise to the vast majority of Argyle fans Frown

Good news finally for Oxford United fans, with...

Oxford United 2-0 Plymouth Argyle

...along with defeats for Bradford, Bristol Rovers and AFC Wimbledon. In fact, all seven clubs now above Oxford (up to Rochdale in 16th) all lost on Saturday. If this victory boosts their confidence even just a little, they might just pick up a few points in the upcoming matches versus strugglers Bristol Rovers and Shrewsbury. Indeed, they don't really have a match against a top side until Peterborough in early December. Sorry to have to say it to Pilgrim46, but apparently Plymouth were pretty awful, with Oxford fans saying the sort of things that I've heard Barnsley/Pompey/Luton fans saying about Oxford after their wins. And you are right, Pilgrim46 - most still want Karl out, but it is very doubtful that Tiger has the money to pay to do it.

For most fans, however, this wasn't even the most important thing going on at the club this past week. Their biggest hope/worry is the arrival of another money-man, this time Singaporean businessman Erick Thohir who has just sold his share of Internazionale and is now heading for the Kassam Stadium. Inter fans aren't exactly sad to see him go - one called @fstef92 twittered last week...

"FINALLY! Thohir is going to f**k off and ruin the lives of Oxford United fans. Sorry lads but you gotta take one for the team.!

...followed by...

"Also, 200m for 30% of the club is f*****g robbery in broad daylight, that bastard."

Tiger, Karl and Shaun Derry will no doubt be rolling out the red carpet as we speak! Why all these (supposed) billionaires want a part of a club that is the basket-case that OUFC are, I have no idea. Someone asked if they were asset-strippers, but someone else pointed out that OUFC don't even have any assets. Getting into bed with the Firoz, maybe? (Urgh, what an image!) Or is the image of dreaming spires that valued around the world that the very word 'Oxford' is worth buying a chunk of, in the same way an American bloke called Thomas Guerriero tried to with Oxford City FC a few years ago (and look where he is now!!)

Best summing-up comes from a poster on the Yellows Forum called ZeroTheHero, who writes...

"We have fallen down the rabbit hole into Alice In Wonderland. Apart from the complete non-performance of the management team and the team on the pitch,we have seemingly been bought (on tick) by an ineffectual, disorganised man with little money of his own but some moneyed contacts whose motives for (perhaps) getting involved with the club are completely unclear. With a part-time MD and an absentee owner there seems to be little control over what is happening day to day (yes, I know he can email and Skype, but that is not the same as actually being there) and the club has managed to make a fractious relationship with Kassam even worse (perhaps not difficult, but perhaps not very sensible either). With constant promises of 'jam tonmorrow' both on and off the pitch, some people are prepared to swallow whatever crap is fed to them - but none of us can do very much about it at all.

The current hope is that some bloke from Inter (who has presided over a slump for them and is reviled by their support) will bring his multimillions to the club, sort out the stadium situation and allow us to 'do a Bournemouth' because "Oxford is a marketable brand" seems like wishful thinking to me (perhaps unfortunately). If things aren't sorted quickly, we will be in L2 next season in all likelihood, stuck in a stadium we can't leave but can't afford to play in, with our best players sold to bridge the gap and a team made up of ageing journeymen crocks, promising youngsters and a few loanees. I'm off to buy a EuroMillions ticket..."

Next week: Bristol Rovers away...

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 26, 2018, 9:26 PM

Post #73 of 76 (15899 views)
Shortcut

What with Saturday 27th October being the club's 125th birthday, Oxford United (nee Headington) have plenty of celebrations planned for tomorrow, including over 30 ex-players returning ("Sign 'em up, sign 'em up, sign 'em up!"). OUFC have also dragged up that little known policy of being able to change the design of their regular home kit on just one occasion per season - in this case reverting to wearing the orange of the original Headington United FC. Two things spring to mind here - firstly, should Shrewsbury Town play in their regular kit of yellow-and-blue, they'll be wearing the usual home colours of their hosts. Secondly, the last time I can remember Oxford United making a point of using this clause and changing their usual home kit was on 6th May 2006 for a home match against Leyton Orient, when they changed their usual dark blue shorts for yellow, thinking that playing in all-yellow would make their players stand out on a dull grey afternoon and increase their chances of winning. It didn't work - Oxford lost 2-3 and went paddling in the Conference for four years!

Things are looking (slightly) better, following...

Bristol Rovers 0-0 Oxford United

...and...

Charlton Athletic 1-1 Oxford United

...along with further defeats for AFC Wimbledon and Bradford City, leaving OUFC now three places and one point above bottom spot.

Reading the OUFC forum, I get the feeling that this is being seen as purgatory by some of the fans - a couple of defeats would have seen Karl Robinson on his way, while a couple of wins would have seen the starts of a revival, but here many feel they have neither. A couple of weeks ago I thought Shrewsbury would have been a match ripe for taking three points, but recent wins v. Barnsley and Accrington (plus a point at Walsall) shows that the Shrews haven't quite lost all the quality they showed last season. Though saying that, the other strugglers all have difficult matches tomorrow, too.

Someone on the OUFC fans' forum with a bit of time on their hands has been tapping at a calculator, and reckons that Oxford United will need a minimum of fifty points this season to be close to safety. This is based upon the points tally of those finishing in 20th place in League One over the past few seasons...

2017~18 ... Rochdale - 51 pts
2016~17 ... Gillingham - 50 pts
2015~16 ... Shrewsbury Tn - 50 pts
2014~15 ... Crewe Alex - 52 pts
2013~14 ... Notts County - 50 pts
2012~13 ... Colchester U. - 51 pts
2011~12 ... Leyton Orient - 50 pts
2010~11 ... Walsall - 48 pts

Sides have gone down with fifty points, most recently Oldham last season. But Walsall were the last side to stay up in 20th place with fewer points, and that was all the way back in 2011. This means that Oxford, presently on just eleven points (at a third of the way through the season!!) need another thirty-nine points, or ten wins and nine draws from their remaining thirty-one matches. On top of that, they'll be hoping that there are at least four sides in the division who are worse than they are!

Despite doing a lot to stem the glut of goals conceded earlier in the season (the return of Eastwood in goal no doubt helping), OUFC are still showing themselves to be fairly inept up-front. By all accounts neither of those two draws were a delight for the neutral observer, and now Oxford have lost another two first-teamers to injury: Shandon Baptiste is out until at least the New Year, and John Obika is out for the rest of the season after injuring his knee in a behind-closed-doors friendly v. Swindon Town. Obika came in as a striker, but quite frankly has been a bit of a disaster - unfortunately, that's quite a statement about the other players he's been keeping out of the team! The January transfer window (and any spare change out of Tiger's pockets) looks a long way off.

One thing that might just help the sides at the bottom of League One is that it seems to be a much closer division this season when compared to last. Last season, the top four (Wigan, Blackburn, Shrewsbury and Rotherham) were generally miles ahead of the rest of the division, dropping few points between them against the bottom end. This season, however, I don't think those at the top are anywhere near as strong - Barnsley, Peterborough and Accrington have all suffered heavy defeats recently, Portsmouth have been particularly flaky at home, and I still don't reckon Sunderland have turned their corner yet - so there's still plenty of points up for grabs all round.

Karl Robinson's win ratio with Oxford United is now 26.7%, with eight wins in thirty matches in all competitions.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 28, 2018, 4:16 AM

Post #74 of 76 (15729 views)
Shortcut

Still in the relegation spaces following...

Oxford United 3-0 Shrewsbury Town

...but a good performance and now on a run of five matches undefeated with just one goal conceded (and that was a disputed penalty at Charlton). For a side that conceded thirteen goals in their first four league fixtures of the season, that is quite an improvement.

The other interesting result of the day is...

Scunthorpe United 1-4 Plymouth Argyle

...not so much for showing the corner also being turned at Home Park, but because this was Scunthorpe's fifth consecutive league defeat. And Oxford United are the next visitors to Glanford Park next Saturday, and a win will guarantee them jumping out of the bottom four.

But just when you thought that Karl Robinson might be showing the smallest hints that he finally knows what he's doing... a decent chunk of BBC Radio Oxford's coverage of the 125th birthday celebrations was devoted to the news that none other than Nile Ranger has attended training with OUFC this past week. The fans seem a little pensive about this news, going by comments on the phone-in - but as someone said, if it's a choice between injured nice-guy John Obika who can't hit his banjo with a barn-door, or employing this particular piece of work...? Despite the improved form of late, there are still plenty of things that Karl ain't - and I suspect being an experienced enough manager to control this particular loose cannon might be one of those things.

Karl Robinson's win ratio at Oxford United is now 29%, with nine wins in thirty-one matches in all competitions.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Oct 28, 2018, 4:19 AM)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 4, 2018, 4:28 AM

Post #75 of 76 (15250 views)
Shortcut

Just like the bit in 'The Return Of The Pink Panther' where Peter Sellers drives first a 2CV then a Piaggio Ape into the same swimming pool, Karl Robinson's Oxford United continue to churn out gag after hilarious gag in quick succession. Barely has the broken glass from their early-season car-crash been swept away into the gutter, then Karl has seemingly managed to plough the courtesy rental car into the very next lamppost. Today's fun started with Saturday morning's Oxford Mail stating...

"Oxford United Prepared For Scunthorpe Backlash", says John Mousinho

...so well prepared, it seems, that they couldn't even hold a three-goal lead against a side on the back of five consecutive league defeats. Some of these players really ought to learn to keep their gobs shut! After finishing their latest circus act at...

Scunthorpe United 3-3 Oxford United

...by conceding three goals in the space of six short minutes, Karl was full of how they'd extended their unbeaten run to six matches, how fantastic their play was, and how this afternoon's capitulation was all the ref's fault (that one in particular makes me chuckle!). The more I hear Karl's yakking on the radio, the more I understand why the OUFC fans seem to be taking such a dislike to the bloke - even with this fairly impressive run of four away draws and two home wins, the fans' forum is glowing with radioactive disdain for the fella. And even Nick Harris was laughing at Karl's suggestion that the Scunny fans (all 3000 of them!!) had put too much pressure on the Oxford players! At least when Nathan Cooper asked Cameron Brannagan what had happened to the three goal lead, the midfielder was honest enough to sheepishly mumble "I don't know!"

Maybe Scunthorpe aren't as bad as their recent form suggests (after all, Stuart McCall is a decent manager) and this maybe actually is a decent point, but other results today didn't go Oxford's way. They're still fourth from bottom, with today seeing five wins and two draws for the seven sides immediately above them - Bristol Rovers' 3-0 win at Blackpool now opens up a two point gap. After next week's cup action, OUFC have a run of three winnable/losable matches: Gillingham at home, Bradford away, and Rochdale at home.

As chance would have it, this Saturday was exactly twenty-six years to the day since that evening in 1992 when I'd been standing on the away terrace at the Manor Ground, watching Pompey throw away a similar lead in similar style for the infamous 5-5 draw. So I'll take the delights of sweat revenge wherever I can, thank you!

Karl Robinson's win ratio at Oxford United is now 28.1% with nine wins from thirty-two matches in all competitions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emykVnzB4_Y

(This post was edited by oxpete on Nov 4, 2018, 4:34 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3