Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Worst train company

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 10, 2018, 9:59 PM

Post #251 of 277 (3874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Maybe best not to ask them what they think of the rail unions..

Ask them what they think of the train company fat cats then.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Oct 10, 2018, 11:17 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #252 of 277 (3822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Northern Trains are actually in a sequence of seven consecutive Saturday strikes over Driver Only Operated trains, with possibly more to come. I think the idea is that it will upset the managers more, who have to cover the strikes, by making them have to work on weekends, and also have more of an effect on Northern's income by discouraging discretionary travel, as I have heard it called.

The RMT members haven't had a ballot for a while, so I can only assume they are content with their regular loss of wages, while their strike action seems to be having no effect. Possibly, they are hoping to brave it out until a Labour government comes in, who can revoke Northern's franchise on the grounds of incompetence - there are still regular Sunday cancellations, although it was a condition of their franchise that they should implement DOO. In the meantime, though, people will find other ways to travel.

I still think Northern are the worst company!

jon b
First Team Star

Oct 11, 2018, 4:47 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #253 of 277 (3748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Owners/Unions whatever.

Unsurprisingly, UK trains don't feature in their future travel plans.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 11, 2018, 1:54 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #254 of 277 (3588 views)
Shortcut

Of course, the right wing media, batting for the Tories and business, have always protrayed Trades Union as pariahs. Sadly too many working people have bought that lie.

The job of the right wing media, and the purpose of the Tory party is simply to convince the majority of the electorate to act against their own interests.

steveking
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 11, 2018, 3:57 PM

Team(s): Ware, Everton, Kingstonian, Leicester, Portsmouth

Post #255 of 277 (3542 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Owners/Unions whatever.

Unsurprisingly, UK trains don't feature in their future travel plans.

The point being made was that it is not always the fault of a union when a strike occurs. We slip too easily into that assumption prompted, as Paul suggests, by a biased press.

Matty
Reserve Team Star

Oct 11, 2018, 5:41 PM

Team(s): All things Derbyshire

Post #256 of 277 (3506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Of course, the right wing media, batting for the Tories and business, have always protrayed Trades Union as pariahs. Sadly too many working people have bought that lie.

The job of the right wing media, and the purpose of the Tory party is simply to convince the majority of the electorate to act against their own interests.

I partially agree, PaulC what I found is an an ex union rep
Not enough members
Too many self interested people increasingly so
No one with balls anymore, apologies to to the ladies or gender neutral, women
Intimidation on a more subtle scale allowed
See how whistleblowers are treated.
In a previous job 98% voted against pay and conditions deals, after threats got through
The was a water company who directors pay were sky rocketing
People have no solidarity, and personnel, human resources know it and use divide and conquer tactics
Afraid the culture has changed, people are more selfish

jon b
First Team Star

Oct 11, 2018, 8:22 PM

Post #257 of 277 (3429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steveking] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think you misunderstand Steve, you're preaching to the converted, obviously I didn't express matters well.

I was a trade union member for 42 years and took part in industrial action, marches through London etc When I first started work everyone in my workplace, as far as I know, was a member of a trade union. It wasn't a closed shop but memories were still strong of how individuals needed to band together to defend their rights.

Then along came Margaret Hilda and stamped all over us.......

By the time I retired from work I was pretty much a lone voice crying in the wilderness, hardly any of my then colleagues was in a union. Whenever I had the opportunity I explained to a new starter why being in a trade union was important. Sometimes they took note but most had absolutely no idea what a trade union was all about and why they should join one.

As for the train travellers, I think they simply saw that they'd relied on the train operators & their employees and been let down by both.

(This post was edited by jon b on Oct 11, 2018, 8:40 PM)

steveking
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 11, 2018, 10:57 PM

Team(s): Ware, Everton, Kingstonian, Leicester, Portsmouth

Post #258 of 277 (3355 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I think you misunderstand Steve, you're preaching to the converted, obviously I didn't express matters well.

Apologies. I was surprised given what I know of your other posts so perhaps I should have known better.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 11, 2018, 11:26 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #259 of 277 (3341 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
As well as worst train company, how about the worst trade union? South-West Trains has just announced more strikes for November, all on Saturdays. I thought that, historically, the point of a strike was to damage the economy by only striking on working days and therefore win concessions from the government, however it now seems that times have changed and this particular union just wants to ruin people's weekends.

They have also announced a five day strike during half term week from Tuesday 23rd to Saturday 27th October. I've worked out that I can get to Cherries' game at Fulham that day avoiding Southwestern completely by taking the Crosscountry service to Reading, GWR to Paddington and District Line to Putney Bridge. The website no longer mentions the scheduled strike this Saturday 13th so you maybe lucky the next two weekends.

jon b
First Team Star

Oct 12, 2018, 12:47 AM

Post #260 of 277 (3289 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steveking] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Apologies. I was surprised given what I know of your other posts so perhaps I should have known better.

The apologies are mine Steve. You, Mick and Paul made perfectly reasonable assumptions based on my posts.

Hopefully, a learning curve for me.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Oct 12, 2018, 8:37 AM

Team(s): Birmingham City, Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #261 of 277 (3167 views)
Shortcut

Entirely agree here. As a union member also for the 30 or so years I worked in a large workplace I can only echo the sentiments about how the ideas of working together for common betterment have been usurped by an "I'm allright Jack" mentality.

Actually to watch that film now, it has gone from being a frivolous comedy to a quite telling piece of social commentary.

Of course all the tales about striking for daft reasons and some officials getting kickbacks that they shouldn't are true - but the way that those tales have been used to besmirch the idea of working together for the common good whilst equally scandalous tales of those who run companies pulling crazy strokes and making off with the moolah are encouraged (aka the Apprentice) is hugely depressing.

Getting back to the point of the thread, of course you can see the attraction of cutting costs by removing guards. Of course for a huge amount of time the guard's role is superfluous...but no one's suggesting we follow the same logic and get rid of the fire brigade because they are hardly ever called out to fires these days.

We are increasingly living in a time when the price of something is more important than the value of something.

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 12, 2018, 11:31 AM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #262 of 277 (3099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [whingebag] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As well as worst train company, how about the worst trade union? South-West Trains has just announced more strikes for November, all on Saturdays. I thought that, historically, the point of a strike was to damage the economy by only striking on working days and therefore win concessions from the government, however it now seems that times have changed and this particular union just wants to ruin people's weekends.

They were striking on Sat 1 Sept, Sat 8 Sept, Sat 15 Sept. but I still got out from London to Sandhurst Town {1st}, Frimley Green {8th}, Eversley & California {15th} using SWR's trains, so the RMT's strike action didn't ruin any of my weekends! Tongue

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 31, 2018, 10:49 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #263 of 277 (1884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The strike on 10th November has been cancelled, presumably so the Union doesn't lose the support of people trying to get to London on remembrance weekend, and rugby fans travelling to Twickenham for England v New Zealand. All other Saturday strikes scheduled for November are still going ahead.

Loiner
First Team Star

Nov 3, 2018, 11:57 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #264 of 277 (1714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Northern Trains are actually in a sequence of seven consecutive Saturday strikes over Driver Only Operated trains, with possibly more to come. I think the idea is that it will upset the managers more, who have to cover the strikes, by making them have to work on weekends, and also have more of an effect on Northern's income by discouraging discretionary travel, as I have heard it called.

The RMT members haven't had a ballot for a while, so I can only assume they are content with their regular loss of wages, while their strike action seems to be having no effect. Possibly, they are hoping to brave it out until a Labour government comes in, who can revoke Northern's franchise on the grounds of incompetence - there are still regular Sunday cancellations, although it was a condition of their franchise that they should implement DOO. In the meantime, though, people will find other ways to travel.

I still think Northern are the worst company!

The Saturday strikes by RMT on Northern now extended to 15 December. Today's was the eleventh Saturday in a row!

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 30, 2018, 8:47 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #265 of 277 (1168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Loiner] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Industrial action on Northern now extended to include 22nd and 29th December. Company say 30% service will run but with "very few" trains after 17:00.

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 30, 2018, 4:13 PM

Post #266 of 277 (1080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Industrial action on Northern now extended to include 22nd and 29th December. Company say 30% service will run but with "very few" trains after 17:00.

No chance of the union winning if they just keep striking on Saturdays. If they went on strike on working days, the resulting damage to the economy would have forced the other side to concede to the union's demands by now. Therefore we can safely conclude that the union is more interested in ruining people's weekends.

sjj2112
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 30, 2018, 4:35 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alexandra, Nantwich Town, Ashford Town (Middx), Venezia

Post #267 of 277 (1067 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

No chance of the union winning if they just keep striking on Saturdays. If they went on strike on working days, the resulting damage to the economy would have forced the other side to concede to the union's demands by now. Therefore we can safely conclude that the union is more interested in ruining people's weekends.

One opinion I have seen voiced about this approach is that the Unions don't want to annoy the commuters who make up the bulk of their revenue, after all the Rail company is doing a good enough job of that. Instead they have chosen to strike on Saturdays which is forcing managers to come in to try and run at least some services, they're hoping that the managers will get fed up of losing their Saturdays and will hence back down.

I'm a man of many anoraks.....

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 1, 2018, 2:02 AM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #268 of 277 (988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sjj2112] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My cousin's experience on South Western today!

So I"m sitting here on the train and the guard comes along checking tickets. The guy next to me has a ticket to Hook (not a stop on this train) and says he"s going to Basingstoke, which is the next station from Hook and the guard says that"s fine. So he doesn't have to pay a penalty fare for not having a valid ticket. WTF should we season tickets holders be paying 6500 per year for others to get off paying a penalty!!! South Western Railway, you really are a joke and we have to take a 3.1% increase in January is an insult.

Is the bloke allowed to get a fast train from Waterloo to Basingstoke, then get a train back to Hook? Or does it all depend on the on the T&Cs of the sale of the ticket?

Another pal of mine had a woeful experience on the Bristol/Southampton service this afternoon too. Only 3 carriages, that were completely rammed all the way. Just as well he & the missus had booked a room for the night and weren't rushing back for the IOW ferry.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 1, 2018, 7:52 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #269 of 277 (951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A really dark area is the boarding of trains holding tickets for stations that trains don't stop and one that I no longer risk after having had problems in the past whilst splitting. Some train managers are fine with it others are not and office at Leicester tell people not to do it but I have read on Rail UK that it is perfectly legal.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 1, 2018, 11:14 AM

Post #270 of 277 (877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

One example of this a year or two back (though not in the current timetable): travelling to Frome. Some available connections were via Castle Cary, 14 miles beyond.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Dec 1, 2018, 6:56 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #271 of 277 (801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
My cousin's experience on South Western today!

So I"m sitting here on the train and the guard comes along checking tickets. The guy next to me has a ticket to Hook (not a stop on this train) and says he"s going to Basingstoke, which is the next station from Hook and the guard says that"s fine. So he doesn't have to pay a penalty fare for not having a valid ticket. WTF should we season tickets holders be paying 6500 per year for others to get off paying a penalty!!! South Western Railway, you really are a joke and we have to take a 3.1% increase in January is an insult.

Is the bloke allowed to get a fast train from Waterloo to Basingstoke, then get a train back to Hook? Or does it all depend on the on the T&Cs of the sale of the ticket?

I don't see why this is a problem, as long as the first train doesn't stop at Hook.

Hook has the "routeing point" Basingstoke, which allows doubling-back on non-stopping trains.

coops
First Team Sub

Dec 4, 2018, 1:59 PM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #272 of 277 (295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tickets bought often have the caveat "via any reasonable route". If a station has a limited service and the quickest way to get there is to go a station beyond and double back I can see why that would be "reasonable".

leohoenig
Administrator

Dec 4, 2018, 3:47 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #273 of 277 (282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coops] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There are also tickets that specify "not via", or specifically "via"
For example, Didcot to Cheltenham is often quicker changing at Bristol Parkway, but the cheaper tickets specify a point on the Swindon-Gloucester line you most go through
Similarly, I caught the train into London from one stop closer in than Ebbsfleet. I would have been allowed to go via Ebbsfleet if that was quicker, but I would have had to pay a higher fare if I wanted to use the train into St. Pancras from there

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

(This post was edited by leohoenig on Dec 4, 2018, 3:47 PM)

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 4, 2018, 4:16 PM

Post #274 of 277 (268 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Tickets bought often have the caveat "via any reasonable route".

Can you provide some examples ? I thought that routeing for National Rail tickets was withdrawn over 20 years ago.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 4, 2018, 7:22 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #275 of 277 (204 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Tickets bought often have the caveat "via any reasonable route". If a station has a limited service and the quickest way to get there is to go a station beyond and double back I can see why that would be "reasonable".

I've found that this is common advice (from National Rail Enquiries as well as from guards on the trains) when using certain services on the Oxford-to-Worcester Cotswold line.

There are ten intermediate stations between Oxford and Worcester Shrub Hill on a line that is single-track for much of its length, with many of the stations having very limited services (Combe has just two stopping services a day/ten a week, same for Ascott-Under-Wychwood, and Shipton has just four a day/twenty a week). When using these stations, it is often quicker to travel for serveral miles in the opposite direction (usually to Kingham, Charlbury or another better served station), change trains, then travel back in your intended direction.

Evening services from Hanborough to Oxford seem to have improved recently (perhaps partly due to increased investment and the beginnings of slowly converting the line back to double-track), but I can remember in the past after a midweek match at North Leigh FC, to make the single journey from Hanborough to Oxford by train (a distance of 7miles) the advice was to instead catch the train westwards to Kingham (over 14miles from Hanborough) then back east to Oxford - a journey of 35miles instead of just the desired 7miles.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Dec 4, 2018, 7:24 PM)

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3