Ladies or Women?

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Jul 30, 2018, 10:38 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #1 of 7 (21870 views)
Shortcut
Ladies or Women? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Liverpool Ladies have changed their name to Liverpool Women. This follows on from Arsenal Ladies decision to change their name to Arsenal Women. I don't see how this sort of name change helps to develop the clubs brand, if that is the reason behind the change.

Rog Dodge
Youth Team Regular

Aug 1, 2018, 9:02 PM

Team(s): England--Grantham Town-Melton Town -NKF Burbage - Leics City Women

Post #2 of 7 (21745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Ladies or Women? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In WSL 1 there are 7 from 11 and in what was WSL 2 (now Championship) there are 6 from 11 + London Bees & Millwall Lionesses. It looks like Women is the way to go.

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 1, 2018, 9:26 PM

Post #3 of 7 (21738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Ladies or Women? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Liverpool Ladies have changed their name to Liverpool Women. This follows on from Arsenal Ladies decision to change their name to Arsenal Women. I don't see how this sort of name change helps to develop the clubs brand, if that is the reason behind the change.

The motive is more to do with political correctness than developing the club's brand, as the term 'ladies' is seen by many as being patronising and outdated. That was the reason given by Chelsea recently and they also said that they would no longer refer to their men's team as the 'first team' - from looking at their website, they appear to have kept their word.

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 2, 2018, 10:06 PM

Post #4 of 7 (21592 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] Ladies or Women? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In my view "Women" is the obvious choice as it's a simple statement of gender.

When I was a kid (I'm now 41) the word "lady" still meant "female adult", but so did "woman". The difference then was that you wouldn't offend anyone by calling them a lady instead of a woman.

Several decades later the term "Lady" either means a title, or is extremely dated. Meanwhile, the word "Woman" is just factual.

Lionarm
Youth Team Regular

Oct 3, 2018, 12:57 PM

Post #5 of 7 (20958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Ladies or Women? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

When I was a child the word 'kid' meant a baby goat.
The word 'lady' was just a polite and nice way of saying a female. The male equivalent is 'gentleman'. Have we got to change the names of all the toilets and the opening for formal announcements?

Matty
Reserve Team Star

Oct 11, 2018, 5:27 PM

Team(s): All things Derbyshire

Post #6 of 7 (11733 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lionarm] Ladies or Women? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We're going gender neutral, is that where I empty my gender fluidness? Oh I'll just guess any toilet

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 24, 2018, 10:33 PM

Post #7 of 7 (9169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lionarm] Ladies or Women? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
When I was a child the word 'kid' meant a baby goat.
The word 'lady' was just a polite and nice way of saying a female. The male equivalent is 'gentleman'. Have we got to change the names of all the toilets and the opening for formal announcements?

Your first sentence illustrates the point. Word usage changes.
We could change toilet signs but it's not relevant, nor is the protocol for formal announcements.
The analogies you use don't quite fit because in football we have never referred to men by their gender but we do use Ladies or Women to specify women's football as such.
The issue with the word Ladies is that it is outdated and implies and group of people who are delicate and subservient. There is clearly no place for that kind of bollocks in football even if women's teams must be so designated at all.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3