Commemorative bus shelters

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Oct 2, 2018, 10:48 AM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #1 of 14 (13702 views)
Shortcut
Commemorative bus shelters Can't Post or Reply Privately

Knowing that many on here are experts in what others may consider the minutiae of life, I bring to your attention an item in the October newsletter of the excellent East Riding Archives.

They mention their recent unearthing in the archives of the Driffield Rural District Council of papers concerning discussions about, plans for the construction of, receipts for the cost of, proud declarations of the use of local materials and the opening speech made about the Festival of Britain Commemorative Bus Shelter in the village of Nafferton near Driffield.

Apparently the FoB organizers exhorted parishes across the nation to raise money locally to construct such commemorative bus shelters to mark the festival and a s a lasting community amenity and benefit.

Perhaps unsurprisingly not many villages saw this as appropriate in 1951 and very few such shelters were apparently constructed.

Hence this post : is anyone out there aware of any other such commemorative bus shelters that still survive from the 1951 celebrations - and if so, where?

I'm told the Nafferton example is still extant and serving its declared purpose.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Oct 2, 2018, 12:33 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #2 of 14 (13660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Commemorative bus shelters [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They are not connected to the Festival of Britain, but when the Stockport War Memorial Art Gallery was built after the First World War, two ornate bus shelters were constructed as part of the development, one on Wellington Road South and one on Greek Street. They both survive, although no longer in use as bus shelters, and are Grade 2 listed.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 2, 2018, 6:48 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #3 of 14 (13570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Commemorative bus shelters [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On a recent stage of my walk of the D'arcy Dalton Way through Oxfordshire, I saw a commemorative bus shelter in Hook Norton, outside the Sun Inn.

Your post reminded me of it. However, I now see that it was built with locally raised funds to commemorate the 1953 coronation of Elizabeth II.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Oct 2, 2018, 7:07 PM

Post #4 of 14 (13562 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Commemorative bus shelters [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for both replies so far.

Not that I spend my time investigating date plates on bus shelters, but just to add that there is indeed a 1953 coronation bus shelter in Middleton on the Wolds, not that far from Nafferton, with a bench of the same age alongside it (or at least there was last time I was there a couple of years ago)

essexian
Youth Team Regular

Oct 3, 2018, 7:20 AM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 14 (13486 views)
Shortcut

What an interesting project. I am sorry but I can't help directly but know a forum who might....Yet Another Cycling Forum.

This forum is used by cyclists who ride long distance Audax. These rides start at 50km and max out at around 1400km for LEL and PBP.

Thus, if anyone knows where these shelters are: often known in cycling terms as "Audax Hotels" as sometimes long distance cyclists use them to get a few minutes kip, they will.

So, if you want, I could post this for you. Or, of course you could open your own account. They are a very friendly bunch.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Oct 3, 2018, 8:23 AM

Post #6 of 14 (13467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [essexian] Commemorative bus shelters [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That's a kind offer - and am happy for you to post it on the board you suggest.

My fascination with this isn't just to compile a list of these structures, but also as an attempt to get into the mindset of those who planned the nation's lives in the immediate post-war era.

I'm trying to put myself into their position. The nation has been laid waste economically by six years of war and then five years of hardship including one of the most severe winters of the century. In 1951, the end of rationing was still a few years into the future.

The Festival of Britain is conceived as a national celebration of the glories of the country...and an appropriate response is to ask villagers to raise funds to build bus shelters !!! Of course back then, bus services were a much more crucial aspect of village life, and a bus shelter would indeed be useful addition to village facilities - but it all seems so grandly inappropriate.

But I also rejoice at, and pine for, the days when such simple symbols could be seen as appropriate expressions of a nation's and a community's feelings of communal pride

leohoenig
Administrator

Oct 3, 2018, 8:35 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #7 of 14 (13463 views)
Shortcut

There have been (to date) 1830 posts on the EU withdrawal thread
This thread has added more of interest in six posts

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 3, 2018, 8:47 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #8 of 14 (13453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Commemorative bus shelters [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If your interested in bus shelters yes , mine was wiped out about a month ago by a car on the pavement. Still a stop but not even a pole (?) now.

But must admit this thread has a nice feel to it , hope Yatesman and PaulC don't find it.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 35 / 30/ 5/ inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 11 / 08 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-3-2)/ Lux = 0-3 / Neth = 0-0-0-(2 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3/ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-1.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

jon b
First Team Star

Oct 3, 2018, 9:00 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #9 of 14 (13443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Commemorative bus shelters [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

How about a commemorative bus shelter instead of Mrs May's post Brexit Festival of Great Britain & Northern Ireland? Tongue

https://news.sky.com/...-what-is-it-11513393

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Oct 3, 2018, 9:01 AM

Post #10 of 14 (13441 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Commemorative bus shelters [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the kind comments - but, as I hope I've tried to express whilst at one level it's about physical structure (hope your pole is reinstated soon), but on another level it's about something indefinable we seemingly had back then but don't seem to have now.

The big things of a nation being perfectly reflected in the smallest of actions. Microcosmos and macrocosmos and all that

Which might (whisper it gently) be what drives people to comment in threads on other topics......

JimG
Youth Team Star

Oct 3, 2018, 9:38 AM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 14 (13420 views)
Shortcut

Another 'Coronation Bus Stop' can be found in Pytchley, Northamptonshire. Not likely to be in Pevsner's Buildings of England, but it is a substantial building of stone with a tiled roof.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/....73883,33.5h,4.2p,1z

The village used to have its own bus company 'The Royal Blue', one of its buses has been preserved (somewhere in Kent). There are no buses now in the village, but the company lives on as 'RB Coaches', I saw one this summer in Oban and felt very nostalgic.

thowdreds
Youth Team Star

Oct 3, 2018, 2:51 PM

Team(s): Accrington Stanley, Blackburn Rovers, BurnleyLeicester City, Halesowen Town

Post #12 of 14 (13342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JimG] Commemorative bus shelters [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I presume the shelter is still there but there is/was a bus shelter on the A418 between Wing and Aylesbury given by the Czech government who operated, in exile, from Wingrave during World War 2.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 3, 2018, 11:38 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #13 of 14 (13288 views)
Shortcut

Another commemorative bus shelter here...

https://www.google.com/...w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

...built in 1945 as a war memorial, complete with clock tower, in the Barnard's Green area of Great Malvern. It is Grade II Listed.

Slightly off-topic, I do like to see dates of construction marked on normal street furniture like this. It helps to give a sense of history and permanence to the objects around us. In Portsmouth, there are railings with British Rail shields on them on the approach road to Fratton Station (with dates on them of 1989, I think), and more railings with BR shields along the foot of the Park Road embankment on the way to Portsmouth Harbour station (facing across to the United Services football ground, with dates of 1987 I think). It's something that seems to be incorporated into modern street furniture less and less these days.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Oct 3, 2018, 11:42 PM)

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 4, 2018, 7:47 PM

Post #14 of 14 (12905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Commemorative bus shelters [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Add Farmington in Gloucestershire to the list. This is a genuine festival of Britain one. The architect Gerald Green also built a later stone shelter in Northleach.

Both are in Pevsner

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3