Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
South West Peninsula League area from 2019-20

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 20, 2018, 11:58 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #26 of 43 (3627 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SWP-Phil] South West Peninsula League area from 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And the standardised wording in NLS Regulation 7.2 states:
"Reserve teams, including a team from a club or Club which is not considered by the Committee to be sufficiently separate from another club or Club, will not be permitted to compete above Step 6 in the NLS. There must be a minimum of two Steps between a first and reserve team. This does not apply at Steps 6 & 7. No two teams from the same Club can play at the same Step. Reserve teams currently at Step 5 can remain unless relegated, once relegated they will not be permitted to be promoted back to Step 5."

keneastlancs
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 20, 2018, 2:21 PM

Team(s): all non league - especially north western teams

Post #27 of 43 (3542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SWP-Phil] South West Peninsula League area from 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Opinions - its why its such a great game - ohh and I don't disagree with all of yours by any means, but I have had to negotiate with those in London who of course always know best.

Argyle Reserves ineligible as Western Lge rules state no reserve teams may join (Reserves rule in the standardised wording being upto individual leagues to determine)

Also no reserve teams above step 6

Sarumio
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 20, 2018, 2:21 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #28 of 43 (3542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] South West Peninsula League area from 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Indeed - the Standardised Rules bvery much trump any rules the Western League try to impose.

I believe the Northern League, much like the Western League have this rule, but have been told in no uncertain terms that if Hebburn Town Reserves apply for promotion and win the Weraside League, the FA will force the Northern League to accept them (providing of course Hebbirn Town's first team go up to the NPL).

So as far as I can see, there is nothing stopping Plymouth Argle Resefves from going up (although with so many Bristol, South Glos and Wiltshire sides in the Western Prem, I very much doubt they see any point in going up at present.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 20, 2018, 2:27 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #29 of 43 (3531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] South West Peninsula League area from 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So as far as I can see, there is nothing stopping Plymouth Argle Resefves from going up (although with so many Bristol, South Glos and Wiltshire sides in the Western Prem, I very much doubt they see any point in going up at present.

The rule I just quoted very clearly prevents Argyle reserves from going up.

Sarumio
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 20, 2018, 4:32 PM

Post #30 of 43 (3448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] South West Peninsula League area from 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

The rule I just quoted very clearly prevents Argyle reserves from going up.

Yes...you are of course right - forgoetting the SWPL Prem was at Step 6...D'oh!

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 21, 2018, 8:46 AM

Team(s): Arsenal and South Eastern Football

Post #31 of 43 (3149 views)
Shortcut

So at step 6 both Hellenic divisions, both Eastern senior League divisions and both SWP divisions will have reserve teams.
The only others will be Dorking Wanderers and Phoenix Sports.( at the moment anyway).

Has anything been said about the names for the two SWP divisions. Sorry if it has but i have not seen it.

SWP-Phil
First Team Star

Sep 21, 2018, 8:56 AM

Team(s): Various

Post #32 of 43 (3143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Unicorn] South West Peninsula League area from 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nothing set in stone but "Premier East" and "Premier West" are the working titles.

Follow the SW Peninsula League on Twitter: @swpleague

For all the News on the SW Peninsula League go to : www.swpleague.co.uk

Sarumio
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 21, 2018, 9:20 AM

Post #33 of 43 (3130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Unicorn] South West Peninsula League area from 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
So at step 6 both Hellenic divisions, both Eastern senior League divisions and both SWP divisions will have reserve teams.
The only others will be Dorking Wanderers and Phoenix Sports.( at the moment anyway)

Well, apart from Plymouth Parkway Reserves and Buckland Athletic Reserves, no other resevres can be elected, at present to either of the new SWPL Prems at Step 6.

SWP-Phil
First Team Star

Sep 21, 2018, 9:28 AM

Post #34 of 43 (3124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] South West Peninsula League area from 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Truro City, Bideford, Barnstaple, Tiverton, Exeter City & Torquay could all join that list.

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 21, 2018, 9:38 AM

Team(s): Arsenal and South Eastern Football

Post #35 of 43 (3111 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Nothing set in stone but "Premier East" and "Premier West" are the working titles.

Hope thats your idea Phil.
Because if the FA arrange it the Premier East will be Cornwall and the Premier West will be Devon.Cool

SWP-Phil
First Team Star

Sep 21, 2018, 9:40 AM

Post #36 of 43 (3100 views)
Shortcut

Don't tempt me ! I'm trying REALLY hard not to be my normal callous, mean, sarcastic & offensive self when trying to both Interpret or Execute the FA's plan !!!

Geoff
Reserve Team Star

Sep 21, 2018, 9:43 AM

Post #37 of 43 (3093 views)
Shortcut

Am I alone in getting a feeling of dťjŗ vu or are we back to the days of the South Western & Devon County Leagues, but with them now being at step 6 rather than step 7.
As for names surely they should be Cornwall Premier Division & England Premier Division

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 21, 2018, 1:27 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #38 of 43 (2936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geoff] South West Peninsula League area from 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If the example of refusing promotion from Andover Town is followed, each Cornish champion will be back at step 7 the following year - it might quickly become known as the guaranteed relegation spot! If a geographic exception is named, Northern league area sides will be asking for the same as well, I'd expect. And with hardly any teams in levels above step 6, these 2 SWP Premier divisions are unlikely to get many if any relegatees from above - which under the pooling principle now operating means the 'Devon' division will start heading towards Bristol, with the east Devon clubs moved into the Cornwall setup and back in a division difficult to get out of.

Geography is a natural barrier and the FA should leave well alone and step back from getting involved in step 5 & 6 promotion/relegation and allow the natural setup to be adopted by the local associations. In this case, any ambitious Devon clubs should be able to get promoted as the highest placed suitable applicant rather than making them win the divisions or be runner-up with a higer ppg than some teams in the rest of the country. This would clubs wishing to remain at the level to do so, whilst not hindering those with ambitions.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (856) Bristol Telephones 1-2 Kaynsham Town
With FC United: 130
On the agenda:
Oct 16: Latvia v Georgia
Oct 20: Kidderminster v FC United
Oct 24: RWO Alzey v TSV Gau-Odernheim

(This post was edited by oftenscore6 on Sep 21, 2018, 1:27 PM)

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 21, 2018, 1:30 PM

Post #39 of 43 (2932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geoff] South West Peninsula League area from 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
As for names surely they should be Cornwall Premier Division & England Premier Division

No, because the border between the two divisions will not be fixed at the Tamar.

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 21, 2018, 1:39 PM

Post #40 of 43 (2928 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The two reasons are

1) The geography and (lack of) transport infrastructure of the region

2) The fact that the Cornish clubs will not (for whatever reason good or bad) take promotion to Step 5, whilst Devon based clubs cannot take promotion as they currently play in a division that is dominated by those Cornish clubs, hence 13/6 split and the 6 includes 3 West Devon clubs not including Argyle reserves who are ineligible to go up anyway.

Can we just take a look at Point 2) for a moment?

Winners of the Premier Division since the SWP was formed

2007-08 Bodmin Town (C) not promoted
2008-09 Bodmin Town (C) not promoted
2009-10 Buckland Athletic (D) not promoted
2010-11 Buckland Athletic (D) not promoted
2011-12 Bodmin Town (C) not promoted
2012-13 Bodmin Town (C) not promoted
2013-14 Plymouth Parkway (D) not promoted
2014-15 AFC St Austell (C) not promoted
2015-16 Bodmin Town (C) not promoted
2016-17 Tavistock (D) not promoted
2017-18 Plymouth Parkway(D) - PROMOTED

So only 6-4 to the Cornish side of the border not taking promotion. Doesn't look like domination to me. And 5 of them being the "fault" of just one club. Buckland and Parkway also finished in the top 3 several times before moving up, and Exmouth and Elburton have also finished in the top 3 once each.

So the FA are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut based in Priory Park

philglossop
Youth Team Star

Sep 22, 2018, 5:59 AM

Team(s):

Post #41 of 43 (2663 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] South West Peninsula League area from 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And didnít the Western League reject St Austell in their title winning season? That could have been interesting- an FA Vase finalist not good enough for Step 5!!!

Some may say the simple solution would have been a Step 5 league covering Cornwall/Devon/West Somerset/West Dorset, a Western League covering Somerset and an Hellenic League covering the M4 corridor?

But if Bodmin Town donít go up we need like Richard said- sledgehammer time.

And letís be fair, the days when it took nearly 3 hrs from Plymouth to Penzance are gone but you try getting rid of that mentality in the Duchy!

Itís a joke.

Geoff
Reserve Team Star

Sep 22, 2018, 10:50 AM

Post #42 of 43 (2536 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] South West Peninsula League area from 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

While it is true that the ratio is only 6-4 both Parkway & Tavistock are in the far west of Devon so, if we say ďin or borderingĒ Cornwall the ratio becomes 9 out of 11.
The journey times from Penzance to Plymouth (2 hours on a very good day) is irrelevant, that is a single game in a season of 19 away games and the rest of the division are east of Exeter, most of them some considerable distance east.
I still fail to see why clubs should be effectively forced to take promotion if they donít want to. Simply promote the best placed club in each division which meets the criteria. Any promoted cub will probably make wholesale changes to their playing squad anyway to replace players who donít want the extra traveling and strengthen so, in many ways, the previous seasonís performance is not relevant.
In the case of the south west the system seems to work reasonably well. No one club totally dominates the league year after year (not that long ago the likes of St Blazey & Portleven were among the big beasts) and clubs that wish to can progress. The first time I saw Plymouth Parkway they were called EAF Flyers and were in the Plymouth & District League and have gradually built their support and infrastructure so they now feel they can make a go of Western League football.
Overall it seems to me that football in the far south west ainít broke so why try to fix it.

Sarumio
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 22, 2018, 1:21 PM

Post #43 of 43 (2468 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

So the FA are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut based in Priory Park

So are you insinuating that this whole unnecessary restructure of the SWPL has come about as a result of one club's refusal to seek promotion over and over again....Bodmin Town!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3