Groundhoppers - how do they afford it?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 14, 2018, 2:08 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #51 of 68 (3983 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Groundhoppers - how do they afford it? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Genuine question. How many are single blokes?

My girlfriend is a season ticket holder with me at Bolton (we actually first met at a Bolton away game) and often comes to Atherton Colls games as well. She also has a list of grounds visited although she rarely, if never, goes to a neutral game.

I'm a season ticket holder at Derby & go to a few away games. I take the missus & her son. I'm going to Rotherham away tomorrow, with my son & the missus son. But there's a lot of difference between going to a game or 2 a week & being a groundhopper. I wonder why those serious groundhoppers haven't posted anything? Hoddy....

dottirofhod

Sep 14, 2018, 2:20 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #52 of 68 (3972 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Groundhoppers - how do they afford it? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have.

Re ladies ,the last one earned £80 an hour so we enjoyed our regular breaks to Spain.

No not nurse Emmanuel Punky.

No children/grand children/wife ties, the only woman at the moment in my life is my carer at the Alex.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 117 / 96 / 21(You know my rules) @ 16 /11 /2018.(Only 8 x 0-0's)
Benelux. Bel = 0-0-0- ( 0-0-0 ) - ( 5-0-0-1 ) Lux = 0-0. Neth = 0-0-0 - ( 2 - 1 ).
Scotland Senior 0-0-0-0-(0-0)-EastofS -1 NofS 0 - SouthofS -2 - Junior (0-0-0)-(0-0-1-0)-(0-0)-(0).
N I = 0-0-5. ROI =0-0-( Leinster-2 , Munster-2, Ulster -0.) Wales =0- (0-0).
Scan Den=1-1, Faroes=8, Fin=0-2, Ice=0-3, Nor=0-9, Swe=0-1. Baltics Est= 0, Lat= 2, Lith=1.

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 14, 2018, 4:17 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #53 of 68 (3887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Groundhoppers - how do they afford it? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Groundhopping can cost as much or as little as you want. I could go to a new venue in Manchester tomorrow and the total cost would be a few pence worth of fuel (less if I walked). It'd be a pitch rather than a 'ground', but it'd still be groundhopping.

As it happens I'm looking at a much longer trip tomorrow, and am fortunate that at the moment I can afford to go (almost) anywhere I want. The constraints I have are time and work, although the latter rarely intervenes at weekends and in any case it pays for me to do it in the first place.

When I was less fortunate I stayed local more often, and found cheaper ways of managing long-distance travel, like special offers on National Express coaches. I started groundhopping when I was a skint student, but still got out and about without spending a fortune. I guess I was lucky that League football was considerably more reasonably-priced back then.

I'm not single, but my partner (we're not married, but 'girlfriend' doesn't sound right at my age) tolerates my travels. That said, I rarely do revisits, and if I was out once or twice every midweek, well as on Saturdays, she'd be justified in complaining. In any case, what would be the point of being in a relationship if we never saw each other because I was out at football all the time?

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by Steveb on Sep 14, 2018, 4:21 PM)

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 14, 2018, 6:06 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #54 of 68 (3753 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Groundhoppers - how do they afford it? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

My girlfriend is a season ticket holder with me at Bolton (we actually first met at a Bolton away game) and often comes to Atherton Colls games as well. She also has a list of grounds visited although she rarely, if never, goes to a neutral game.

I'm a season ticket holder at Derby & go to a few away games. I take the missus & her son. I'm going to Rotherham away tomorrow, with my son & the missus son. But there's a lot of difference between going to a game or 2 a week & being a groundhopper. I wonder why those serious groundhoppers haven't posted anything? Hoddy....

Why the interest? Most on here have no interest who Derby are playing tomorrow and even less who is making a point in telling us they are going!

windydcfc

Sep 14, 2018, 8:37 PM

Post #55 of 68 (3624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Groundhoppers - how do they afford it? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Why the interest? Most on here have no interest who Derby are playing tomorrow and even less who is making a point in telling us they are going!

I just can’t imagine many woman being happy if their partner was away most nights. So I just assumed that a majority of ground hoppers were single blokes! I know plenty of couples that follow teams home & away but that’s different. I was replying to someone that said he met his missus at Bolton(no other reason). From the tone of your response, I guess I’ve hit a nerve? It’s not as though there isn’t a section on ‘Where are you going’!

(This post was edited by windydcfc on Sep 14, 2018, 8:38 PM)

Yeading89
Junior Team Regular

Sep 15, 2018, 10:01 AM

Team(s): hayes&yeading

Post #56 of 68 (3364 views)
Shortcut

As a hopper I do things differently nowadays.Have been involved in footy one way or another most of my life.Used to do Tottenhams games and non league where possible including reporting for different publications for a few years. Moved to MK in 74 was fed up with League football (still am) and carried on watching local footy. In 1991 my sone died and left me with the first edition of Non League Grounds of Great Britain.
I went to everyone of the grounds in that book 656 in total then carried on going elsewhere. However driving for a living and hopping took its toll.I am now retired and only go once a week.A lot of people will disagree but I do it differently now.
Instead of New grounds it's New Teams. So if a team comes within my radius I go and see them. I think that the grounds are great but keep changing and I don't want to go back again to see this. So now it's new teams not new grounds unless I feel like it. It keeps costs down as well. This mostly happens in the cups where visiting teams are from out of my area.

ladderman

Sep 15, 2018, 11:44 AM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #57 of 68 (3283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Groundhoppers - how do they afford it? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Because he'd gone 5 minutes without a post?
I find the idea that going to a couple of (neutral) games a week isn't groundhopping a bit odd, as well

windydcfc

Sep 16, 2018, 12:01 PM

Post #58 of 68 (2971 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Groundhoppers - how do they afford it? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I find the idea that going to a couple of (neutral) games a week isn't groundhopping a bit odd, as well

I wasn’t talking about neutral games. I was talking about someone that follows their club home & away(a couple of games a week).

jon b
First Team Star

Sep 16, 2018, 1:43 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #59 of 68 (2906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adji] Groundhoppers - how do they afford it? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Decent enough question to me . I do a lot of games on the cheap , a lot of freebies . Main thing is fuel I wouldn't say I earned a lot either so it can be a struggle but as people have said it is a hobby so spend what you feel comfortable with . Don't make yourself skint

Yes, that's the essence of it. Whether someone spends a few hundred quid a season watching football or thousands is pretty unimportant other than to the individual concerned.

More interesting than the money side of things I've found this thread has given background about posters/groundhoppers themselves.

Due to family circumstances ground hopping isn't an option for me other than in the local area. In fact its only since I recently retired that I've really had the opportunity to watch football again regularly. I enjoy watching our local lads Dronfield Town but hope to get round a number of the area's other non-league grounds this season. Next season I'm being urged to take out a season ticket at the Dark Side in Sheffield i.e. Hillsborough, as it would give me the chance to link up with Owlitis suffering family members once a fortnight. Cool

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 16, 2018, 1:57 PM

Post #60 of 68 (2896 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Groundhoppers - how do they afford it? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't think the OP was meant to offend.
It has never been how much it costs the individual that interests me, more, how the heck some of
the posters on here manage to travel the distances they do in midweek, get home at some ridiculous time early a.m.
and still manage to get up for work!

I don't need Google. I have a Hoddy.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Sep 16, 2018, 7:53 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #61 of 68 (2711 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Climate Change] Groundhoppers - how do they afford it? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I don't think the OP was meant to offend.
It has never been how much it costs the individual that interests me, more, how the heck some of
the posters on here manage to travel the distances they do in midweek, get home at some ridiculous time early a.m.
and still manage to get up for work!

I’d certainly never consider doing the daft midweek trips for a neutral game, but a good few times I’ve been to watch Hibs midweek and then travelled back after the game and headed in to work the next morning. Also, in the last couple of years I’ve watched Bolton away to Bristol Rovers and West Ham midweek, got home in the early hours (4am in the case of the West Ham game) then gone to work a few hours later. On something of a tangent from that, Bolton at home to Nottingham Forest on the final day of last season was a 12.15pm kick off and I didn’t get home - all of 8 miles away from the game - until 3am the next morning and up for work a few hours later, but that’s an entire different circumstance Cool

gcnc

Sep 16, 2018, 8:33 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #62 of 68 (2662 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Groundhoppers - how do they afford it? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I mentioned how I finance my hopping in a post some years ago and haven't stopped getting stick about it from some members ever since!

https://nonleaguematters.co.uk/...dd0186cb762cf#542388

I think steveb sums up my thoughts. I rarely go to games midweek and almost never travel long distances except on a Saturday. You could spend thousands of pounds hopping, but often a new ground and an entertaining Saturday afternoon are just around the corner at virtually no cost. And, most importantly there are so many more important things in life!

ladderman

Sep 16, 2018, 8:46 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #63 of 68 (2648 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I wasn’t talking about neutral games. I was talking about someone that follows their club home & away(a couple of games a week).

Perhaps you should write with more clarity (and stick to the topic) as you seem to spend your life in here clarifying what you actually meant. Maybe go for a bit of quality over quantity.

paulh66

Sep 17, 2018, 12:20 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #64 of 68 (2477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Groundhoppers - how do they afford it? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You could spend thousands of pounds hopping, but often a new ground and an entertaining Saturday afternoon are just around the corner at virtually no cost. And, most importantly there are so many more important things in life!

Shocked
WARNING - this is what watching a 6-0 home defeat can do to a man.

Get well soon, sir!

gcnc

Sep 17, 2018, 7:59 AM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #65 of 68 (2358 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Groundhoppers - how do they afford it? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
You could spend thousands of pounds hopping, but often a new ground and an entertaining Saturday afternoon are just around the corner at virtually no cost. And, most importantly there are so many more important things in life!

Shocked
WARNING - this is what watching a 6-0 home defeat can do to a man.

Get well soon, sir!

SmileSmile Great post!

I tell you - I wish on Saturday I had just gone around the corner and watched a match for nothing, rather than shelling out £19 at Rodney Parade.

Anyway, onward and upward - we've got a nice easy match at Prenton Park next Saturday Wink

doktorb berske
Youth Team Regular

Sep 17, 2018, 5:28 PM

Team(s): Burscough

Post #66 of 68 (2117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Forest Gump] Groundhoppers - how do they afford it? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have soon learned not to feel "a bad hopper" in comparison to others. You see on Facebook and here people who are counting ground number 1,000 or even higher than that, and I do feel a bit "second rate" for not even being at 200 unique grounds. The cost - the big neon-lit issue for me - would be immense if I tried to compete.

I soon realised that groundhopping is a hobby like all other. We all have our own rules and regulations, and we all have our own limits. I have ticked off almost all the local grounds to me, so it will cost a lot of money to get to all the new ticks I need to do in Cheshire or North Wales or where-have-you. But if I tried to spend more than I earn just to complete a league quicker than a stranger on the Internet, then I would realise that my priorities were all wrong.

So the answer for me is, "I afford it as long as I still can," and make do. There's always walk up and watch football in the very lower reaches of the pyramid's base if there's nothing else, after all.

I count as a groundhop whatever I feel appropriate.

Reserves? Yes, why not?
Friendlies? No problem.
Bracketed ticks? Come on in, I say.

"I tried to organise freedom,
How Scandinavian of me!"

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Sep 19, 2018, 2:09 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #67 of 68 (1695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Forest Gump] Groundhoppers - how do they afford it? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Going off tangent like I usually do but, talking of Groundhoppers, did anyone here watch the team of the same name when they fleetingly played in the Kent League? I always found it funny that for half their league games they were at home and therefore couldn't do any hopping!

paulh66

Sep 22, 2018, 10:05 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #68 of 68 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Groundhoppers - how do they afford it? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anyway, onward and upward - we've got a nice easy match at Prenton Park next Saturday Wink

Inevitable.. Pirate
Thankfully there are more important things in life. Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3