Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 19, 2015, 2:59 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #51 of 58 (3015 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Oxford now have had near promotion form over the last few games - using squad players, or that is what was said on Radio Oxford yesterday though a bit late in the day but a charge to midtable mediocrity is better than nothing I suppose. And just for Oxpete they have managed at least for now to get above Pompey!. They quite like Appleton now or some of them do. The Football League Show said they scored a wonderfully worked goal yesterday, when the Roofe fell in on Tranmere.

Hmmm... different manager but same old players, I think. This isn't the first time that Oxford United have churned out some exceptionally good form at the end of a lousy season - too many players working for their new contracts or to put themselves favourably in the shop window.

Believe it or not, I am actually really happy for Michael Appleton, and I'm glad he'll now get the opportunity to have a proper stab at next season. However, he really does need to hoof out most of the dead wood. There are some useful youngsters coming through that he could make use of, and a figurehead of some sort for the fans to get behind would be no bad thing - I think they've missed Constable more than anyone realises (and looking at his form at Eastleigh this season, he can certainly still hack it at League Two level).

As for Pompey..... Unsure

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

May 2, 2015, 8:14 PM

Post #52 of 58 (2430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or

What a strange ending for Oxford, today's win at Newport (they have also won at Plymouth, Wycombe and Bury) saw them finish on a season high of 13th level on points with Northampton but with a slightly worst goal difference. The season in the end was actually positive, won as many as they lost with a goal difference of plus one. They lost the same number of games as Plymouth who are in the play-offs and finished (I think) just 9 points off of said play-offs and 20 points clear of relegation. As one caller said on Radio Oxford we have now had 15 strange seasons. It's a good job football in this country is not played from January to December as 2014 would have seen them relegated, but 2015 would see them near the top of the league. Consistently inconsistent and not only Oxford. The real positive is they have blooded youngsters and though using far to many loan signings at least they seemed to have broken the jobs for the journeymen boys ethic (the never have been never will be players) that a number of their managers have employed over the past 15 or so years.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 21, 2018, 9:56 PM

Post #53 of 58 (718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It'd be good to know what ACMold and Chris1963 think of this thread. Another season underway with four straight defeats, but the fans are definitely NOT happy this time...

Starting with a 0-4 stuffing at Barnsley...

Then a 0-2 home defeat to a very non-descript Fleetwood...

Then a no-doubt wonderful match, losing 1-4 at Portsmouth...

And tonight losing 2-3 at home to Accrington Stanley, after twice being a goal up.

A newly-purchased back-four have now let in 13 goals in four matches.

Their only decent player - the goalie Eastwood - is out after breaking his finger in the warm-up before the Fleetwood match.

The Thai owner Tiger is not well known for his patience.

And Oxford United fans are already shouting down the lines onto the radio waves to remind everyone that Michael Appleton is presently looking for a job!

My favourite headlines so far this season:

"Fearless U's Are Raring To Go!" immediately before the 0-4 stuffing at Barnsley.

And "Bumper Crowd Will Spur Me On, Says Oxford United Winger Gavin Whyte" before the 1-4 stuffing at Pompey.

Oxford United FC - the gift that just keeps on giving!

007Dale
First Team Regular

Aug 21, 2018, 10:18 PM

Post #54 of 58 (706 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It'd be good to know what ACMold and Chris1963 think of this thread. Another season underway with four straight defeats, but the fans are definitely NOT happy this time...!

Well, you wont be getting a response from Chris1963 - hes been banned for some fairly appalling racism.

My view re Oxford - possible National League team (again) in two years.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 21, 2018, 10:20 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #55 of 58 (704 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

]

Well, you wont be getting a response from Chris1963 - hes been banned for some fairly appalling racism.

You sure about that? Wink

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 21, 2018, 10:29 PM

Post #56 of 58 (701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
My view re Oxford - possible National League team (again) in two years.

Last time this thread was active, I was left with egg on my face - laughing at Oxford United's woes all season, and yet they still managed to finish above Pompey that year. We've got a twelve-point lead over them at the moment, but I've seen us throw away even bigger gaps than that in the past...

Karl Robinson's win ratio at Oxford United: 26.7% with four wins in fifteen matches.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 10, 2018, 2:24 AM

Post #57 of 58 (417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Oxford United 4 straight defeats but most fans are happy- at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday's Oxford Mail...

"Oxford United Are Ready For Screen Test, Says John Mousinho"

...and from manager Karl Robinson...

"We have done our homework as usual, worked hard and prepared properly and by the time we kick-off at midday tomorrow, we will be fully ready to take on Coventry."

Sunday...

Oxford United 1 Coventry City 2

On BBC Radio Wazzock, they made much out of the fact that OUFC were on a four-match unbeaten run, but seemed to brush over the reality that this included a point against 10-man Sunderland and cup wins versus Newport and Fulham U21s (which have also cosmetically pumped up Karl's win ratio, too). Their league form is still pretty dire, with five losses in seven so far this season - next week's visit to Wycombe Wanderers has now got added tension...

The pre- and post-match vox-pops were, as always, highly entertaining. Before kick-off the three wise monkeys actually managed to track down a local madman who predicted a 5-0 win for Oxford! However, after some more sloppy defending and goalie howlers, they seemed unable to find the same bloke afterwards, so instead interrogated a former poster of this forum who seemed able to sum up all OUFC's problems within sixty seconds, something Karl Robinson seems totally unable to do! Laurence for manager, eh?! Wink

It has to be said, League One really does have a weak look to it this season. Personally, I don't think Sunderland's problems are over yet, and some of their fans are getting just a little too overexcited at the moment about some really rather mundane results. All of the top five (Posh, Pompey, Barnsley, Sunderland and Walsall) are all still undefeated, but I doubt any of them would survive if transplanted into the Championship - Pompey apparently struggled to get a fortunate point at home to Shrewsbury. I still think Charlton will continue to improve as the coming weeks pass, but I doubt I'd slap money on any of the others with much confidence.

Karl Robinson's win ratio at Oxford United: 35% with seven wins in twenty matches.

Swindon Addick
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 12, 2018, 7:53 AM

Team(s): Cambridge City, Charlton Athletic

Post #58 of 58 (274 views)
Shortcut

10 clubs at the moment with 1 point per game or less, and no-one massively behind. At present it looks like the relegation battle may be quite competitive.

Cambridge City - on a tour of places we've never heard of and can't spell.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3