2019 Rugby League Restructure Proposal

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

IAN S
First Team Star

Sep 24, 2018, 3:27 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #26 of 42 (8555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] 2019 Rugby League Restructure Proposal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Eagles are at home to Rochdale, Swinton are at Batley. Some Eagles fans might not be too bothered if they lost!

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Sep 24, 2018, 8:25 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #27 of 42 (8520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] 2019 Rugby League Restructure Proposal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Eagles are at home to Rochdale, Swinton are at Batley. Some Eagles fans might not be too bothered if they lost!

Correct My mistake, trying to remember four teams at once while trying to get my head around RFL proposals for 2019.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 24, 2018, 8:52 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #28 of 42 (8507 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] 2019 Rugby League Restructure Proposal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sorry about bringing 2020 into it then but Ralph Rimmer was on Backchat last week and though he obviously kept his cards very close to his chest he said there will be a new club entering. I got the impression they could be N. American going on what was being discussed.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Sep 25, 2018, 7:49 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #29 of 42 (8431 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] 2019 Rugby League Restructure Proposal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sorry about bringing 2020 into it then but Ralph Rimmer was on Backchat last week and though he obviously kept his cards very close to his chest he said there will be a new club entering. I got the impression they could be N. American going on what was being discussed.

Jacksonville, FL or New York would be the front runners. New York, already swamped by top level sports franchises would be a difficult sell to the US public. Jacksonville, FL does expand RL south into a new market, although playing Rugby League in Florida during the summer might be a drawback.

With Catalan winning the challenge cup then another French side is possible.

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 25, 2018, 8:28 PM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #30 of 42 (8422 views)
Shortcut

Red Star Belgrade ?

kirby knitters

Sep 30, 2018, 4:13 PM

Post #31 of 42 (8241 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] 2019 Rugby League Restructure Proposal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Red Star Belgrade ?

The above have been accepted into the 2019 Challenge Cup.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Sep 30, 2018, 4:36 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #32 of 42 (8230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] 2019 Rugby League Restructure Proposal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Some meat on the bones:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/...ugby-league/45698828

For sporting (and other) images, visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/venue totals: Football 898; Rugby Union 260; Rugby League 213; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

kirby knitters

Oct 7, 2018, 9:27 PM

Post #33 of 42 (7975 views)
Shortcut

Broncos are back in Super League.

Toronto 2-4 London in the MPG.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Oct 7, 2018, 10:37 PM

Post #34 of 42 (7958 views)
Shortcut

Bradford Bulls beat Workington Town 27-8 at Odsal in League One's play-off final to join champions York City Knights in the Championship for 2019. Swinton Lions, the bottom club in the Championship this season, secured by coin toss the right to host Workington at Heywood Road in next Sunday's promotion/relegation decider (3pm).

Ground/venue totals: Football 898; Rugby Union 260; Rugby League 213; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Oct 7, 2018, 10:38 PM)

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Oct 8, 2018, 7:20 AM

Team(s): Birmingham City, Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #35 of 42 (7912 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] 2019 Rugby League Restructure Proposal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I thought I understood RL's perversely byzantine promotion/relegation structure until I read this.

I thought..OK York go up as champions, then there's a playoff to decide who goes up with them. But this post seems to be saying that the losers of the playoff have a second (third?) bite at the cherry by being matched up against the bottom team in the championship.

So is the RL effectively doing 3 up 1 down at the championship/league 1 interface?

Mind you, since the RL have effectively reduced the Championship next season to the outcome of the two Bradford / Toronto games, I'm losing the will to be interested in their doings.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Oct 8, 2018, 7:43 AM

Post #36 of 42 (7901 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] 2019 Rugby League Restructure Proposal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, this mechanism to have a 14-team second tier for 2019 was voted through by a majority of the clubs a month or so ago at a RFL EGM. Extraordinary in more ways than one!

Despite getting an unexpected third opportunity to secure promotion, Workington are complaining they will struggle to have 17 players available. Four are on holiday (booked because their season was originally scheduled to end on October 7), two picked up serious injuries at Bradford yesterday and another faces a suspension after dismissal at Odsal. Swinton, of course, have the advantage of an extra week's rest and recuperation. Tossing a coin - an act overseen by Karen Moorhouse, the RFL's director of operations and legal - to determine where the game is played was the icing on the cake.

You don't think York can finish above Bradford again?

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Oct 8, 2018, 7:50 AM)

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Oct 8, 2018, 9:15 AM

Team(s): Birmingham City, Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #37 of 42 (7858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] 2019 Rugby League Restructure Proposal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

York's success this season has been excellent testament to the positive effects that good ownership and sticking with a talented coach through hard times can bring.

But next season, back in the fairly big time I can see Bradford getting the finance and players that are beyond York's reach.

But replacing the qualifiers with a one up one down system has, to my mind made most of the season irrelevant to most of the clubs in the Championship and to several in SL. Relegation will largely depend on the results of the Salford /London games.

York will exist in a mid-table limbo along with Batley, Dewsbury Sheffield and Rochdale...not good enough to go up, but with sufficient firepower to see off whoever challenges them from the graveyard (aka league 1).

The whole point of a league competition is surely to keep the most interest for the most teams going as long as possible. RL seem to have basically removed that option from much of the top 2 divisions.

007Dale
First Team Regular

Oct 8, 2018, 9:34 AM

Post #38 of 42 (7851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] 2019 Rugby League Restructure Proposal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I agree, a backward step.

I think they could have scrapped the million pound game and left the qualifiers as 4 up 4 down.

To then make it even more irrelevant by expanding the championship to 14 is senseless.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Oct 8, 2018, 12:56 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #39 of 42 (7805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] 2019 Rugby League Restructure Proposal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For anybody planning to attend the Swinton-Workington game, be aware that the Greater Manchester Half Marathon is taking place in the area earlier that day. Although it should be done and dusted by kick-off, the road I live on is shut until 1.15 PM, as an example. The Metrolink will be running all day, but, from experience, will be packed.
Swinton's Australian import has gone back home, presumably as his flight had been booked expecting the season to be over by now.

IAN S
First Team Star

Oct 8, 2018, 1:22 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #40 of 42 (7786 views)
Shortcut

I expect York to easily stay up next season, (is it 2 up, 2 down)?
Relegation should be a three way fight between Rochdale, Eagles and the winner of Sunday's game. oh and maybe Barrow

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

(This post was edited by IAN S on Oct 8, 2018, 1:23 PM)

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Oct 8, 2018, 3:47 PM

Post #41 of 42 (7731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] 2019 Rugby League Restructure Proposal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
For anybody planning to attend the Swinton-Workington game, be aware that the Greater Manchester Half Marathon is taking place in the area earlier that day. Although it should be done and dusted by kick-off, the road I live on is shut until 1.15 PM, as an example. The Metrolink will be running all day, but, from experience, will be packed.
Swinton's Australian import has gone back home, presumably as his flight had been booked expecting the season to be over by now.

Thanks for the information. Had fancied watching the game but, after hearing of likely road closures, along with talk of 'shadow' line-ups, I'll not bother.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Oct 14, 2018, 5:15 PM

Post #42 of 42 (693 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] 2019 Rugby League Restructure Proposal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Swinton beat Workington 33-20 at Heywood Road this afternoon to secure Championship status for 2019. Shame.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3