What did we learn today

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 15, 2018, 4:10 PM

Team(s):

Post #76 of 93 (8281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Climate Change] What did we learn today [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not today, but Saturday 13th October. That there is an organisation called 'Democratic Football Lads Alliance' and despite claiming to be football fans, they chose a Saturday during the football season to stage a demonstration in central London. How strange that they chose not to attend any of the thousands of football matches (including two divisions of the FL) being played in England that day. You would think they could have chosen a Saturday in June, when there is no football in England? And despite claiming to be "against all extremism" (that is what their emblem, as shown on Wiki, says) they spend the afternoon fighting the police and other members of the public.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Oct 15, 2018, 4:50 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #77 of 93 (8263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] What did we learn today [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
How strange that they chose not to attend any of the thousands of football matches (including two divisions of the FL) being played in England that day.

Likely as not they are all still serving banning orders. Our game can well do without these thugs besmirching it.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Oct 15, 2018, 5:52 PM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #78 of 93 (8232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] What did we learn today [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Would be really boring watching the kind of team these Democratic Lads would support.

Presumably everything would have to be played down the middle as anything veering too far to the left wing or to the right they'd castigate as dangerously extreme

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 15, 2018, 8:49 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #79 of 93 (8174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] What did we learn today [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
How strange that they chose not to attend any of the thousands of football matches (including two divisions of the FL) being played in England that day.

Likely as not they are all still serving banning orders. Our game can well do without these thugs besmirching it.

Or 'fans' of a club that it best not to mention on here.Laugh

Ropemaker
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 16, 2018, 1:43 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #80 of 93 (8082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] What did we learn today [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

West Ham are under pressure to take action after one of their youth coaches, U18 manager Mark Phillips, said he went on a march organised by the Democratic Football Lads Alliance, a group condemned by anti-racism campaigners.

https://www.theguardian.com/...-march-mark-phillips

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 16, 2018, 3:47 PM

Team(s):

Post #81 of 93 (8059 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] What did we learn today [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Especially when he could have spent the day usefully by attending a non-league match to scout for potential signings.

buncranaboy

Oct 16, 2018, 11:56 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #82 of 93 (7995 views)
Shortcut

Maybe he did but buggered off as all the programmes had gone

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 17, 2018, 2:39 PM

Post #83 of 93 (7929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] What did we learn today [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Again not so much learning but was made aware that its 45 years ago today that the Poles knocked us out of the 1974 World Cup in perhaps the most one sided game in history. A goalkeeper called Jan Tomaszewski who the late great Brian Clough called a clown played a blinder.

A really depressing night if you were an England fan and I suppose many on this forum remember that night too.

Not sure where those 45 years have gone !!

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 17, 2018, 2:51 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #84 of 93 (7924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] What did we learn today [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Again not so much learning but was made aware that its 45 years ago today that the Poles knocked us out of the 1974 World Cup in perhaps the most one sided game in history. A goalkeeper called Jan Tomaszewski who the late great Brian Clough called a clown played a blinder.

A really depressing night if you were an England fan and I suppose many on this forum remember that night too.

Not sure where those 45 years have gone !!

I remember the game well, the beginning of a period of being in the football wilderness for the England national team. To put the game into context, that polish team Polish team were reigning Olympic champions, and although were suppose to be amateur, this was the Soviet bloc's definition of amateur. Poland went on to finish 3rd at the 1974 World cup so not a bad side.

The England lineup that night was
Shilton, Hunter, McFarland, Hughes, Madeley, Bell, Currie, Peters, Channon, Chivers, Clarke.

Karen Browne
Reserve Team Star

Oct 17, 2018, 7:32 PM

Team(s): Welwyn Garden City

Post #85 of 93 (7886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] What did we learn today [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was at Wembley that night and it amazed me that with England needing to win Sir Alf left the current leading goalscoer Kevin Hector on the bench until the 88th minute.

Karen Browne
Spartan South Midlands League
Fixtures Officer

kirby knitters

Oct 18, 2018, 8:47 AM

Post #86 of 93 (7827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] What did we learn today [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Watching Classic Corrie yesterday afternoon I noticed that a pack of 20 B&H were £1.75 in the Kabin 28 years ago.Sly. The days when cigarette advertising was fine and people not treating smokers as lepers and not being a nanny state.!!

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 29, 2018, 3:58 PM

Team(s):

Post #87 of 93 (7512 views)
Shortcut

That no-one in their right mind should ever get into a helicopter. If helicopters had been invented today, they would probably not be allowed on health and safety grounds. The problem is that if the engine fails for any reason while in the air, it's curtains for everyone on board. Unlike an aeroplane (which can continue flying even if an engine fails) a helicopter can only go straight down if anything goes wrong with the engine. Why so many celebrities insist on using them to get around is beyond me. Has no-one learned anything from the death of Chelsea owner Matthew Harding in a similar accident in 1996?

scottywalds
First Team Star

Oct 29, 2018, 5:52 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #88 of 93 (7476 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
a helicopter can only go straight down if anything goes wrong with the engine

Incorrect, there's autorotation which is taught as part of heli-pilot training.

kirby knitters

Oct 29, 2018, 9:04 PM

Post #89 of 93 (7431 views)
Shortcut

AW-169 had a 100% safety record until Saturday's disaster. They have two engines and it was the tail rotor that went.

Done a trip over Manhattan a few years back. Never again!!

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 9, 2018, 11:55 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #90 of 93 (7201 views)
Shortcut

Not today but last Sunday when I was in London and picked up a copy of the free Evening Standard I learned when reading an article about Lucas Torreira that Fray Bentos, famous for making pies in a can, is actually the name of a city in Uruguay and where the Arsenal midfielder comes from.

JimG
Youth Team Star

Nov 10, 2018, 9:16 AM

Team(s):

Post #91 of 93 (7179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] What did we learn today [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Again, from a couple of days ago, I learnt that there are still 7000 people in the UK watching black and white TV.

https://www.theguardian.com/...d-white-tv-licensing

I love this quote:-

"Who wants all this new-fangled 4K Ultra HD, satellite dishes or a screen thatís bigger than your room when you can have glorious black and white TV?"

(This post was edited by JimG on Nov 10, 2018, 9:28 AM)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 11, 2018, 11:34 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #92 of 93 (7090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JimG] What did we learn today [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surprised any old black and white TV's would still be working after the digital switchover.

Watching the various Commonwealth leaders laying their wreaths at the Cenotaph on TV I learned that Swaziland has changed its name to eSwatini.

At the opposite end of Africa I learned a couple of weeks ago that Morocco has stopped putting its clocks back in the winter. Previously the same time as Britain and Portugal all year round they will now be an hour ahead of us for five months of the year.

buncranaboy

Nov 11, 2018, 11:41 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #93 of 93 (7085 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] What did we learn today [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That long-time Pink Floyd stand-in guitarist Guy Pratt, who I saw in the Nick Mason band a few weeks ago and who has supported Dave Gilmour for years, had a famous dad - Mike Pratt was the original Randall in Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased). He himself is now deceased....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3