Step 7 leagues

derekn
First Team Star

Jul 26, 2018, 1:33 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #1 of 9 (12910 views)
Shortcut
Step 7 leagues Can't Post or Reply Privately

Has a definitive list of Step 7 leagues appeared anywhere this year?

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 26, 2018, 1:37 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #2 of 9 (12901 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Step 7 leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They're listed on the final page of the FA's 2018/19 NLS Regulations: http://scefl.com/...GS_Final_version.pdf

Hitchin-John
First Team Sub

Jul 26, 2018, 3:06 PM

Team(s): Hitchin Town

Post #3 of 9 (12743 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Step 7 leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I believe that every league listed is covered and updated with fixtures and results on NLM.

derekn
First Team Star

Jul 26, 2018, 3:47 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #4 of 9 (12680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hitchin-John] Step 7 leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You're right, but they're listed as Step 7+ so I wasn't sure which were actually Step 7.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 26, 2018, 4:53 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #5 of 9 (12595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Step 7 leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So, if I have counted correctly, there are 45 Step 7 leagues, but still some gaps which are not covered
In particular
  1. Cumberland - while both the Northern Alliance and Wearside have had teams on the other side of the pennines, if football in this area is to develop, it needs its own Step 7 league
  2. West Berkshire - the North Berks League is not a Step 7 league, and this leaves a gap between the Thames Valley, Oxfordshire and Wiltshire League areas. The best solution here is to find a way to restore Step 7 status to the North Berkshire League
  3. The Marches - as neither the Herefordshire, nor the Shropshire League has step 7 status, it appears the West Midland League combines both the areas with the West Midlands. If two leagues here at Step 7 cannot be managed, can they combine to create one?

These are just those that strike me as obvious, I am sure others will have their own thoughts

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 26, 2018, 5:28 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #6 of 9 (12524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Step 7 leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
So, if I have counted correctly, there are 45 Step 7 leagues, but still some gaps which are not covered
In particular
  1. Cumberland - while both the Northern Alliance and Wearside have had teams on the other side of the pennines, if football in this area is to develop, it needs its own Step 7 league
  2. West Berkshire - the North Berks League is not a Step 7 league, and this leaves a gap between the Thames Valley, Oxfordshire and Wiltshire League areas. The best solution here is to find a way to restore Step 7 status to the North Berkshire League
  3. The Marches - as neither the Herefordshire, nor the Shropshire League has step 7 status, it appears the West Midland League combines both the areas with the West Midlands. If two leagues here at Step 7 cannot be managed, can they combine to create one?

These are just those that strike me as obvious, I am sure others will have their own thoughts

If by ‘Cumberland’ you mean Cumbria, thereby including Westmorland as well, then a step 7 league is a nice idea in theory.

But in practice I suspect it’d face the same struggles as the Lincolnshire League. Cumbria is a big county with some slow roads, and leading sides would probably prefer to play in what they’d perceive as a higher standards of football in the Northern Alliance, Wearside and West Lancs leagues.

If you did mean just Cumberland there’s already a county league with two small divisions, but I’m not aware of any desire for step 7 status. Similarly with the Westmorland League and the Furness Premier League.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by Steveb on Jul 26, 2018, 5:29 PM)

Sarumio
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 27, 2018, 11:47 AM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #7 of 9 (11670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Step 7 leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So...we have three Step 7 leagues in tatters at the moment.

The Lincolsnhire League numbers just 12 now - with Brigg Town likely to depart back to Step 6 come next summer. Four reserve sides bolster the numbers.

How can this league survive the Step 7 axe next summer?

The Liverpool Premier lLeague, backed up by two divisions below, but one of which, Division One (Step 8) is down to 8 teams.

The Prem now stands at 13 and there's a growing number of flakey resrerve sides coming and going from all divisions. Are the Division One clubs Step 7 compliant - can the league keep dragging up lower teams to replace sides that fold from the Premier or defect to the West Cheshire League. This league must be getting seriously weak overall, especially at Steo 7?

Finally - the West Riding County Amateur League - reduced to one division of 14 this season. They've already lost two since the season started so now just 12 remain, and Golcar United are likely to go up to Step 6 by all accounts. Despite four feeder leagues, no one seems to want to join.

Time for the remaining clubs to admit defeat and join the West Yorkshire League (even if it means a drop in status/level)?

Could we really have three less Step 7 leagues next season?

Jimbo
Youth Team Regular

Nov 27, 2018, 12:42 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 9 (11588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Step 7 leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The Liverpool Premier lLeague, backed up by two divisions below, but one of which, Division One (Step 8) is down to 8 teams.

The Prem now stands at 13 and there's a growing number of flakey resrerve sides coming and going from all divisions. Are the Division One clubs Step 7 compliant - can the league keep dragging up lower teams to replace sides that fold from the Premier or defect to the West Cheshire League. This league must be getting seriously weak overall, especially at Steo 7?

It seems likely to me that the Premier Division will be able to maintain its numbers in the short term. Many of the sides operating in its lower tiers play at the same modern facilities as the top-flight clubs - not the league has ever really demanded high standards in that regard! The shrinking to two divisions nevertheless seems unavoidable unless (a) the various teams within its youth competitions can be retained in good numbers when maturing to open-age or (b) the Zingari Combination and Old Boys' League can be plundered en masse.

Looking longer term, however, things are a little less certain. Twenty years ago, only two sides from east of the Mersey competed in the West Cheshire. Now they account for over half of its membership. The Liverpool County Premier lacks an outright monopoly on any particular locality - with even clubs in the heart of the city up for grabs. Boundary areas such as Southport, West Lancs and St Helens have been ceded entirely to neighbouring competitions.

Another factor is the potential upwards loss of clubs. The FA Hub facilities located around the city are floodlit, which may in future tempt the ambitious to make a bid for Step 6.

(This post was edited by Jimbo on Nov 27, 2018, 12:44 PM)

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 27, 2018, 1:16 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #9 of 9 (11527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Step 7 leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
So...we have three Step 7 leagues in tatters at the moment.

The Lincolsnhire League numbers just 12 now - with Brigg Town likely to depart back to Step 6 come next summer. Four reserve sides bolster the numbers.

How can this league survive the Step 7 axe next summer?

Finally - the West Riding County Amateur League - reduced to one division of 14 this season. They've already lost two since the season started so now just 12 remain, and Golcar United are likely to go up to Step 6 by all accounts. Despite four feeder leagues, no one seems to want to join.

Time for the remaining clubs to admit defeat and join the West Yorkshire League (even if it means a drop in status/level)?

Could we really have three less Step 7 leagues next season?

I spoke with Ianh about the Lincs League a few weeks ago & I’m sure he mentioned that there are a joining or rejoining. Rippingale & Folkingham was one, hopefully Swineshead & I’m sure a Sleaford Reserves side was mentioned. With the FA in charge of step 7 & 2 ex-CMLN sides likely to drop back down from step 6. I wonder if Appleby Frodingham might be moved across to the LL?

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3