Saturday, 21st July 2018

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Jul 21, 2018, 10:23 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #26 of 45 (4525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HertsHopper] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

After a break of 69 days without going to a game (my longest break since 2009) it was now the start to my season. Iíve barely watched any tv football either only seeing the last hour of Germany v Mexico & most of Argentina v Croatia in the World Cup + all of an Irish League game.

I wasnít sure whether to bother with the 9th African Nations Cup UK at Hackney Marshes due to the strange format which would only allow me to see a maximum of 2 games on both days. The 10 teams would play 2 games each, 1 at 10:00 & 1 at 14:00 with the top 4 sides going through.

Anyway I drove to Colchester train station & got off at Homerton station. On arrival this years tournament was being played past the dirt track path on the main part of the marshes. It soon became clear koís would be late.

African Nations Cup UK
Cameroon 2 (20 & 74)
Senegal 1 (80)
KO: 10:00, started at 10:56 Att: 10 h/c (my lowest in the 4 years Iíve followed this tournament) inc 2 drummers Cost: Free No prog or paper either for the 1st time

It looked as though my game would be 1st to start but the ref had trouble getting CAM to line up & start. They were the better side in a 1st half with few chances but they got the only goal. Shots 5-1.

H/t break lasted approx 12mins.

Really good 2nd half which saw the game change when the CAM gk was injured. His replacement took over 4mins to get ready. Chances at both ends which saw SEN hit the post on 60mins. It appeared all over when CAM got a 2nd but a gk error gave SEN hope & they almost snatched a point. Shots 7-8.

My game was the lowest score but it was very competitive. One surprise was regular winners & holders Ghana losing 5-1 to Sierra Leone.

There was Aussie rules football between London Swans v Wandsworth Demons. The women started at 11:30 followed by the men at 13:00. There may have been another mens game unless they last well over 3 hours.

Also passing overhead were the Red Arrows who also let off the red, white & blue in the sky.

Next up was:

Old Man Manc
Junior Team Sub

Jul 21, 2018, 10:40 PM

Post #27 of 45 (4497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

LIVINGSTON 1 ANNAN ATHLETIC 0
Played at Linlithgow Rose

BetFred Cup Group F

Gate: £10
Programme: Not Available
Attendance: tbc

Well, where have all the goals gone? Two games into my season now and just the 1. Again not the greatest game (see Sat 14 July), the higher league team the better, but Annan were far from disgraced. In fact, should have nicked an equaliser late on.

Nice to get a different ground in, Linlithgow have a nice set up and I enjoyed my day out.

Kenny Miller showed a bit of class with his goal, but then hit the post from a tight(ish) angle but open goal. Defo red card, awful challenge.

Planned next match: St Mirren v Dumbarton / Betfred Cup Group H / Ground #244 / 28-07-18

OLD MAN MANC
Miserable
Old
Mancunian
567 games
253 grounds
England, Wales, Scotland, Norway, Eire, Estonia, Northern Ireland, Serbia, Poland, Germany, Hungary, Belgium & Netherlands

(This post was edited by Old Man Manc on Jul 21, 2018, 10:40 PM)

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Jul 21, 2018, 10:42 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #28 of 45 (4489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

African Cup of Nations UK
Nigeria 1 (71)
Sierra Leone 4 (31, 49, 59 & 78)
KO: 14:00, started at 14:28 (the last one to start) Att: 10 h/c

Within 100 seconds both gkís kept out decent efforts. SL were the better side in their inside out shirts due to colour clash & deservedly led at h/t. Shots 6-8.

On 33mins of my game the pitch next door but one involving Ghana v Tanzania saw a mass brawl with the goalnet coming off. It took a while to calm things down. Quite a few minutes later the game was abandoned.

SL increased their lead with 2 more goals. NGA gradually got into the game & pulled 1 back & were looking lively. When SL got a 4th it was game over. With 4mins to go someone came over & I got results from other games. Providing NGA didnít concede 2 more goals theyíd be through. They succeeded but really SL shouldíve added more at the end. Shots 5-7.

Unfortunately 3 of the 4 sides I saw today made it through to the semiís tomorrow. Iíd hoped to see some different sides. Zimbabwe finished top with 2 big wins, SL 2nd, NGA 3rd & Cam 4th. Just missing out on goal difference was Senegal.

Needless to say it was mostly a lovely hot day with sun & some cloudy intervals. The sun disappeared behind clouds almost for good today at 16:45. Iíve never encountered midges but wonder if thatís what were crawling over me all day. They werenít thunder flies.

Iíll return tomorrow for the Semiís & Final back at the marshes.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 21, 2018, 11:23 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #29 of 45 (4362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HertsHopper] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Betfred League Cup - Group G
Stranraer 1-1 Motherwell
(Stranraer won 3-2 on penalties)
Attendance 800 est (350 home/450 away fans)
Admission £12
Programme £2 (double issue with next Tuesday's game vs Clyde)
Free teamsheets available in club shop.

Fully deserved result for the Division 1 hosts who were never overawed by their Premiership visitors. They were unlucky to go in at half time behind when a 38th minute throw in on the right hand side was flicked on to Peter Hartley who headed home. The Raer deservedly levelled just before the hour when the impressive Isaac Layne found himself one on one with the keeper and coolly sidefooted home. Moments later Mark Lamont also found himself through on goal, this time he chipped the keeper only to hit the crossbar. Both teams missed their first penalties in a thrilling shootout, scored their second, then Stranraer scored and Motherwell missed their 3rd kicks, vice versa on the 4th, both missed their 5th taking it to sudden death when Stranraer scored and won when Motherwell missed their 6th kick.

Stair Park is a lovely ground full of character at the end of the stunningly scenic A75 with two seated stands covering the middle third of each side. On the far side is an impressive modern main stand with 18 rows of blue seats, like a larger version of the stands at the new AFC Totton and Penrith grounds. At the top you get stunning views over Loch Ryan towards the Galloway peninsula. The old stand opposite looks like it was once a standing terrace with 6 rows of seats in 12 steps behind a wall with a disabled area in front. The view inside is restricted by a cage down the middle segregating home and away fans, who also occupy the open terrace with grass bank behind stretching all the way round to the new stand. Home fans have a covered terrace behind their goal and a small open terrace next to the old stand. Drove to Dunfermline, my base for the next five nights, after the game taking in the equally stunning sea views on the A77 towards Ailsa Craig and Mull of Kintyre.

Karb
First Team Regular

Jul 21, 2018, 11:26 PM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #30 of 45 (4348 views)
Shortcut

Pre season Friendly
St Mirren 0-6 Sunderland
Admission £12, Programme £2

An early return for Sunderlandís new manager to his old club. I expected a tougher test, given that St Mirren are already two games into their season (albeit only League cup games), but the score line didnít flatter the visitors at all, and you have to imagine that the hosts will struggle in the Premiership, following last seasonís promotion.

As new builds go, Iíve seen far worse grounds, but an entirely black and white stadium is never going to be a favourite of mine. Visiting fans were behind one goal, the stand behind the other goal was completely empty, and both sides were allocated to home fans. A good view looks to be available regardless of where you sit.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

LLD
Reserve Team Star

Jul 22, 2018, 12:00 AM

Team(s): Livingston

Post #31 of 45 (4265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Harthill Royal JFC Pre-Season Tournament
Harthill Royal 1-0 Luncarty
&
Gartcairn Juniors 4-1 Forth Wanderers

Gibbshill Park, Greenrigg
Admission £donation, no programme, food available
Attendance: c100

I made a late decision to venture along to Harthill for the first couple of games of their pre-season tournament, a one day affair featuring sixty minute games.
I can sense readers of this post recoiling in horror at the thought of attending games that don't last the regulation ninety, but they slotted in quite nicely to my plans for the day, so I thought 'why not?'. I'm even counting them. Tongue
It has been observed before that Scottish Junior teams don't really play friendlies and both of these abbreviated encounters were fiercely contested, with all the physicality and niggle that is part and parcel at this level.
On paper I thought Luncarty would be good enough to see of the hosts in the opening game, but Royal were the better side throughout and deserved their late goal, which averted the need for a penalty shoot out.
The second game had added spice given that Gartcairn's manager Jamie McKenzie recently left Forth, where he guided the club to a rare promotion two seasons ago, albeit that achievement was followed by immediate relegation last term.
McKenzie is a enthusiastic character but infamous for his criticism of referees and he had to be warned to tone down his comments on more than one occasion.
His side were the better side from the word go, although greatly assisted by a horrendously bad Forth goalkeeper. So bad in fact that I suspect he was an outfield player filling in between the sticks.
Leading 3-1 at the short half time break, Gartcairn weren't as fluent in the second half, probably due to the number of subs they committed, but they added a fourth goal which gave the scoreline a realistic feel.
Gibbshill Park is one of the more basic venues in the West Lothian area; there's a small rickety shed on one side of the park and otherwise it's largely featureless. The area behind the far goal is covered in the length of vegetation that it's possible to lose a matchball in.
There's a small bar 'the Houf' at the other end, next to the changing rooms, but I didn't venture in. Food was on sale from a hatch at the front of the building - I went for the scotch pie (good) but there were also burgers, hot dogs, chips, square sausage rolls available.
Paper chasers will be disappointed here.
Harthill is infamous for being a staunch bastion of Unionism - Orange Walks are frequent here and many residents display Union Jacks and Red Hands. There's a large butchers apron flying at the ground, which is pretty rare in modern Scotland.
While all of this is a bit disconcerting, I've always found the welcome warm at Gibbshill Park when I've visited. I'd probably avoid wearing green if you visit to be sure though...

The second game finished at 2.35pm or thereabouts, giving enough time to traverse West Lothian to the third game of the day.

Betfred Scottish League Cup - Group Stage
Livingston 1-0 Annan Athletic
Prestonfield, Linlithgow
Admission £10, no programme, food available
Attendance: c700

I've been boycotting Livingston home games for a while now, a personal protest against the characters running the club these days.
However, I set my objections aside for today given that this game was being hosted at Prestonfield in Linlithgow as a result of delays to the installation of an artificial pitch at Almondvale.
According to prorege, who is rarely wrong on such matters, this was the first time a Scottish League club had hosted a competitive home game on a non league ground since Ayr United played at Dam Park twice in 1972. (Hearts and Celtic games at Murrayfield Stadium excluded).
Prestonfield is a fine venue which has been developed in recent years with the addition of a seated stand and new floodlighting. Unlike many of the Junior interlopers to the 'pyramid' this season, Linlithgow have a set-up that is broadly good enough for progression through the Lowland League to the SPFL.
On the field, Livingston achieved a remarkable promotion to the Premiership last season, but play-off winning manager David Hopkin has left to be replaced by Kenny Miller in a player manager role.
Miller proved to be the difference between the sides in this game, which was reminiscent of Livi's outing at Airdrie last week, when they were the better side but had to hold on for a narrow win after spurning good scoring opportunities.
His 13th minute goal was the only one of a contest that was a fairly tame watch in the most part. Annan looked tidy and may do well in League Two this season, but they threatened the Livi rearguard only sporadically.
The exception to that was a silly late tackle by new Livingston left back Ricki Lamie which fully deserved the straight red dished out by ref Kevin Clancy.
Livingston are back at Prestonfield next week for their other home Betfred Cup game with struggling Berwick, which may attract bracketed ticksters.
It won't be much good for people who insist on getting a programme, as Livi have been online only for almost a year now.
Linlithgow is a nice place with plenty of pubs though, and if you are looking for any further excuse to visit, then the quite magnificent steak and haggis pies on sale at the ground are worth the trip regardless of how turgid the game might be.

The most comprehensive source for Scottish football fixtures: scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com

adji
Reserve Team Star

Jul 22, 2018, 7:56 AM

Team(s): Birmingham City ,Clevedon Town and whoever else i want to watch

Post #32 of 45 (3961 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LLD] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Paget Rangers 1 Walsall Wood 4

Entry £3 Att - 65

Ten man Wood comfortablely beat a fairly toothless if not battling Rangers side in a second half demolition job at Coles Lane . They lead 1 0 at half time . It's all on the blog now

Please feel free to visit my blog at http://adjithegroundhopper.wordpress.com/

DJM61
Youth Team Star

Jul 22, 2018, 9:04 AM

Post #33 of 45 (3815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adji] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Reading City P Aston Clinton P
Arrived at 2:45 to find a game in progress its wasn't the game i came to watch
Found Aston doing a training session asked why they weren't playing pitch double booked Reading changed ko to 4 but Aston weren't willing to wait so they called game off

gcnc
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 22, 2018, 9:09 AM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #34 of 45 (3807 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adji] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF
Cribbs 4 Paulton Rovers 1
No admission or programme, attendance h/c 70

Pleasant enough afternoon sat in the shady stand with the home side easily defeating the visitors from a step up the pyramid. Paulton had little answer to the pacy front two of the home side, who, every time they beat the offside trap, looked likely to score. Though Paulton got one back from the penalty spot just after going 3-0 down, they never looked like getting back into it. Looks like it could be a decent season for the North Bristol side.

My first visit to Cribbs for almost exactly six years, when I saw their first game as a Western League club, though they were Cribbs Friends Life in those days. Since then two stands have been added on the far side, and, set under the row of fir trees, they provided cool respite from the summer heat.

Tim

Jul 22, 2018, 9:25 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #35 of 45 (3757 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wrockwardine Wood 4 Denso 1 (PSF) Att: 11 h/c f&n

Pretty poor stuff, really: other than the home No 10 who scored two cracking free kicks, there wasn't a lot of quality on display. Denso were better than I expected, Wood considerably worse. The game took place at the Ricoh, Priorslee variety, the pitch being the sports ground of Ricoh Products. No football furniture but a nice grass bank from which to admire proceedings. Fun shared with Yorkieexile and fine trio of Black Countrymen. Then onwards to...

Wednesfield 7 FC Darlaston 3 (PSF) Att: 16 h/c f&n

... where Mr Smallman and I enjoyed a ten goal thriller. It was 4-3 at the break, at which point the home manager gave his side a good telling off for conceding three goals. It worked - they never looked like conceding another. This one took place on the outskirts of Wolverhampton at Our Lady and St Chad's Sports Academy, on a newish 3G - no viewing area but spectators were allowed into the cage.

All very enjoyable, but I'm looking forward to the real thing now, if there is any grass left by Saturday. As this heat and drought is set to continue for at least another month in most parts, I can't help thinking that 3Gs may come into play in August...

prorege

Jul 22, 2018, 11:51 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #36 of 45 (3473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LLD] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another at:
Betfred League Cup Group GameLivingston v Annan Athletic, 1-0, H.T. 1-0, Att c.700, Admission £10, Programme Free, Steak and Haggis Pie £2at Prestonfield
Couldn't resist the novelty of this fixture and it proved to be a good choice. Livingston failed to put the game to be and as time wore on Annan looked more and more capable of producing an equaliser. I foud myself rooting for the visitors which is just as well as I didn't spot any actual Annan supporters in the ground at all.
The red card challenge by Rikki Lamie was a shocker. He walked without waiting for the red card as he knew what was coming.

As LLD has said the Steak and Haggis Pies from Oliphants the Baker are magnificent. But be warned, they usually sell out by half time, or earlier if LLD is there.

The match programme is really good and can be found here:
http://livingstonfc.co.uk/download-tomorrows-roar-matchday-magazine-free/
I was settling down to read it at half time when I bumped into LLD so it had to wait for the train home.
Pre-match I had bumped into Leeds Phil in Edinburgh's Bow Bar. He'll be glad that others have posted detailed reports on the match as given the number of half and third pints of varied nauseous looking, liquids he had consumed I'm suprised he made it to Linlithgow at all!

DanGilbert
Ballboy/girl

Jul 22, 2018, 1:01 PM

Team(s): Walsall home and away - also follow Rushall Olympic

Post #37 of 45 (3329 views)
Shortcut

Pre-season friendly
Boldmere St Michaels 3-0 Sutton Coldfield Town
Trevor Brown Memorial Ground

I went to watch Boldmere St Michaels of the Midland Premier League take on Sutton Coldfield Town who will be playing in the newly formed Evo-Stik South Division One Central following relegation last season from the Evo-Stik Northern Premier.

It was my first trip to the ground since the new 3g pitch was installed and as much as I dislike the pitches, it is something that more clubs are having to do.

Boldmere absolutely bossed this one with some really impressive passing play. It seems they're set on playing football and not hoofing it. Wish them luck, it's the right way to play. Sutton on the other hand didn't offer much but I was surprised to see Walsall youngster Cameron Peters playing for them. As a Walsall fan I have seen him a few times for the U18's and it's a move he needs if he's to progress. He did well for them and he looked a lot more confident for them. Hopefully he gets them a few goals this season.

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jul 22, 2018, 1:23 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #38 of 45 (3286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Another at:
Betfred League Cup Group GameLivingston v Annan Athletic, 1-0, H.T. 1-0, Att c.700, Admission £10, Programme Free, Steak and Haggis Pie £2at Prestonfield

I didn't spot any actual Annan supporters in the ground at all.

As LLD has said the Steak and Haggis Pies from Oliphants the Baker are magnificent.

Pre-match I had bumped into Leeds Phil in Edinburgh's Bow Bar. He'll be glad that others have posted detailed reports on the match as given the number of half and third pints of varied nauseous looking, liquids he had consumed I'm suprised he made it to Linlithgow at all!

Never in doubt! Sensible by my standards - day 8 of the Bow Bar's Summer Beer Festival had yielded fewer than hoped ticks to add to the hour's fun in the earlier-opening Guildford Arms but I resisted extending the tour of the Edinburgh circuit (...until post-match) getting the 13:45 from Waverley arriving Lithgae 14:05 for a sniff in the big four along the High Street with just the classic Four Marys yielding anything new to me. Poor attitude in the Star & Garter, distancing themselves from the Kraftybrew brewery despite it being in their courtyard!

Steak & haggis pie(s!) obtained as priority one upon entry. Indeed excellent.

The stand is upstairs, creating covered standing beneath. Sat next to me was (seemingly) the only Annan fan in the ground. On his own but quite vociferous he was on the receiving end of plenty of banter!

Post-match in the near-Haymarket big three Cloisters, Blue Blazer and Hanging Bat. Out of time so had to skip Thomson's and Haymarket to avoid missing my last train north. It was invaded at Carnoustie by hordes of garish Pringle jumper wearers, which is of course the only reason that I shut my eyes...

Another great day out, despite the turgid football on display.

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Jul 22, 2018, 4:26 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #39 of 45 (3036 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre Season Friendly

Princes Park Stadium, Dartford

Dartford 0 (0) Colchester United 1 (0)

White Shirts / Black shorts Green Shirts & Shorts

Attendance 447

Admission £10 Programme £3 Team Sheet Free Badge £3.50

Pasty £2.50 Tea £1.10

I wouldn't normally drive so far for a PSF but the chance to tick a new ground and see the U's was too good to miss. Set off early in case the holiday traffic was heavy but had a good run down and was parked up at Princes Park with plenty of time to spare. Decent ground for a new build with all the boxes ticked. Adequate parking, terracing, seating and cover on all four sides. Bar, tea bar (burgers, pies & chips and hot & cold drinks) and a well stocked club shop. Programme covered all three of Dartford's PSFs and team sheets were also on offer.

Dartford were unlucky to lose the game after giving their League two visitors a hard game. Their cause wasn't helped by the early loss of Andy Pugh who was stretchered off with a double leg fracture after colliding with U's keeper Gilmartin. Despite that Darts dominated much of the first half with strikers Sam-Yorke and Oyenuga causing major problems for the U's back three. Gilmartin had to make three or four excellent saves. The visitors had the better of the second half and finally took the lead in the 81st minute. Dickenson broke down the left and delivered a dangerous low cross that the unfortunate Ronnie Vint could only divert into his own goal.

A quick getaway and a dash up the M11 & A1 got me home before the coneman could start closing the roads.

onion_bag
Reserve Team Star

Jul 22, 2018, 6:21 PM

Post #40 of 45 (2868 views)
Shortcut
Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre-Season Friendly
Preston North End 2 v West Ham United 2
atten 6,000 (approx 1,000 away)
Pre-Match Hospitality: Cottage Pie & Veg - delicious.

Not a big fan of friendly matches but because the Hammers were in town it rapdily became a must visit. To be honest it was an enjoyable game with lots of good play. Think Preston are a team to keep a close eye on in the championship next season as they can definitely make the play-offs.Was good to see the new Hammers signings with defender Issa Diop the one who impressed most.

I like Deepdale. The staff were very professional and courteous and the facilities are excellent. Literally bumped in to David Moyes who has managed both clubs in his time. Glad he is no longer the Hammers manager , so defensive mined. Pellegrini seems the opposite.
Great day out. COYI

View all photos from Preston North End

http://onion-bag.blogspot.co.uk//
http://rugbyleaguegrounds.blogspot.co.uk/

CleethorpesOggy
Youth Team Sub

Jul 22, 2018, 9:11 PM

Team(s): Cleethorpes Town FC; Arnold Town FC; Nottingham Forest FC

Post #41 of 45 (2671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onion_bag] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre-season friendly
Winterton Rangers 2 Cleethorpes Town 2
Att: 90 (estimate) Adm: £5

A decent excursion to our Lincolnshire neighbours. Due to car unavailability, hopped on the bus for this one and I made the connection in Barton with 30 seconds to spare both there and back!

Always enjoy a visit to West Street - it is one of my favourite grounds in the NCEL. Fifth time here over the years following both Arnold Town and Cleethorpes Town and I received the customary warm welcome. Winterton have experienced some lean years on the pitch but, judging by their performance yesterday, it will be no surprise to see them do well this term.

On another hot afternoon, goals from a Danny North penalty and debutant Loz Burchell cancelled out a brace from Elliot Broughton. Apart from the spot kick, the other three goals were all excellent team moves.

Probably Clee's poorest pre-season performance so far but, of course, it is all about gaining fitness at this stage. A couple of beers with the locals afterwards was a good way to sign-off before I head to sunnier climes, although I am a bit disappointed to be missing the Lincs Cup semi-final against Lincoln United on Wednesday.

Shepdyn
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 23, 2018, 9:46 AM

Team(s):

Post #42 of 45 (2327 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CleethorpesOggy] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF
At Canal Street,Aylestone
St.Andrews v Ingles
F & N
Bar and snack bar open
Att 30 ish
H/T 1-0
F/T 1-0

SA won this with a first half scuffed goal which wrong footed the IFC keeper.IFC missed a penalty late on second half.On this showing I don't think either will win their respective divisions though both should be ok.
No changes at Canal Street that I could see except for several ex Oadby Town committee men who are now on the Andrews committee.

The Other Window--Live music promoters based in Leicester-- Psych/Stoner/Kraut/Doom/Drone/Electronica/Industrial/Noise/Punk/DIY/Kosmische

leominster
First Team Star

Jul 23, 2018, 11:06 PM

Team(s): Cardiff City, KV Kortrijk, BFC Dynamo

Post #43 of 45 (1851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Shepdyn] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hereford FC 0 Newport County 2
Friendly
Admission : £9 for me, £1 for my son
Attendance : 1,521 including 467 away

A deserved win for the Football League team although it took a second goal in the last minute to finally kill Hereford off. Newport controlled the first twenty minutes being half a yard ahead of the home team but failed to score any goals in their dominant period. Martin Horsell in the Hereford goal made a couple of outstanding saves while the home side created the occasional chance. Newport took the lead with a penalty but Hereford gradually dragged themselves into the game.

Much of the rest of the game was fairly even although Newport always looked the more likely to score, Padraig Ammond finally making it 0-2 at the end.

One of the more competitive 'friendlies' I've seen in a while. There were a couple of challenges in the first few minutes that could well have seen a yellow card in a league game and in the second half we had a bout of handbags with a dozen or so players involved. That ended with the ref talking to each team's captain.

Nobody's Heroes
Youth Team Sub

Jul 24, 2018, 11:42 AM

Team(s): Sheffield United, CPD Porthmadog, Ross County

Post #44 of 45 (1658 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leominster] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A weekend break in Prague for the opening weekend of the Fortuna:Liga, 3 matches over two days, unfortunately I arrived to late on the Friday evening to take in Dukla Prague and make it 4.

A 72 hour travel pass for the metro, tram and bus system proved perfect for the weekend of criss-crossing Prague for the three games as well as sight-seeing in between.

The weekend started with the Saturday evening fixture between AC Sparta Praha and newly promoted SFC Opava. at the Generali Arena, an easy reach of around 10 minutes walking from the Hradcanska metro stop. Tickets easily available, I pre-ordered mine beforehand, but a crowd of 12,186 saw the ground maybe 2/3's full with tickets easily available pre-game. Good matchday programme for under £1 as well as well stocked club shop.

Game was a little disappointing in truth and didn't come to life until the last 20 minutes when the home side scored twice to clinch a 2-0 victory. Decent backing for Opava, although things got tense in the last 10 minutes with a gang of 30 or so away ultra's trying to get at the home section.

Easy metro access after the game and straight back to my weekend base.

(This post was edited by Nobody's Heroes on Jul 24, 2018, 11:43 AM)

royals26

Jul 25, 2018, 8:34 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #45 of 45 (1377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nobody's Heroes] Saturday, 21st July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF

Court Place Farm

Oxford City 4-1 Chesham Utd

Adm: £6.50 + £1.00 50/50 + £2.50 prog for all three home PSFs

Att: hc 120

Directions/Facilities: regular here but not likely to be so frequent in future following hasty demise of Nomads.

Daughter in JR for an unexpected thankfully minor, corrective procedure, following major surgery last week - took her boyfriend and her mother up for visiting hrs and nipped around the corner for my first match of the season. Went and did the fatherly bit after the game.

Sat in new stand down by the clubhouse but was too hot late PM so retreated to opposite stand 2nd half.

Match: fairly one sided OCFC too sick and fast for the Generals led by 4 early 2nd half - plethora of subs - Chesham gave it a go and were rewarded with a rather generous penalty late on

Was far too hot for football but I'm sure both sides benefited from the exercise - game at half pace for lengthy spells.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3