Accrington Stanley Finance

Ropemaker
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 20, 2018, 1:23 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #1 of 12 (4644 views)
Shortcut
Accrington Stanley Finance Can't Post or Reply Privately

Seems Accrington chairman Andy Holt has been having a "Twitter row" with Gary Neville over Salford City's close season spending

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44894821

During all this, he stated that Accrington's wage bill for 2018/19 is 932k out of a budget of 1.1m.

By my calculations, that's about 85%, which seems a bit unhealthy. Or am I missing something?

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

cope1

Jul 20, 2018, 1:49 PM

Post #2 of 12 (4630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Accrington Stanley Finance [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm sure I saw another thread about this Twitter row but I can't find it now.

In answer to your question, I took that as his point - he has no wriggle room, financially, while megabucks Neville can come in and pay 4k a week in non-League.

I can't deny my sympathies lie with holt but I really don't think Neville answers any of the criticisms aimed at him and those he throws back miss the point. He argues that he's spent millions on Salford, which is rather Holt's point. He accuses Holt of wanting 'franchise football', presumably inferring from Holt's comments that he'd rather have a closed shop, but it's a big leap to that conclusion from what Holt actually said, which was that it's ridiculous that a non-League club can out-pay an SPFL club. It's hard to disagree with that.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 20, 2018, 1:57 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #3 of 12 (4626 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Accrington Stanley Finance [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Budget - not turnover.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 20, 2018, 5:56 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 12 (4545 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Seems Accrington chairman Andy Holt has been having a "Twitter row" with Gary Neville over Salford City's close season spending

During all this, he stated that Accrington's wage bill for 2018/19 is 932k out of a budget of 1.1m.

By my calculations, that's about 85%, which seems a bit unhealthy. Or am I missing something?

I read Mr Holt's tweet as having a wage budget for the season of 1.1m, of which 932k is already committed. Still seems low for a League One club, I wonder if the figure is for the players only or it includes all the other staff.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jul 20, 2018, 7:10 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #5 of 12 (4520 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

How is it unhealthy to be spending less than expected?

cope1

Jul 22, 2018, 10:55 PM

Post #6 of 12 (4299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Accrington Stanley Finance [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I read 'budget' as covering everything, not just wages and/or transfer fees. At this stage of the season it's cutting it fine as you will probably have additional wage/transfer fees to cover, and you also have to run the club as a business.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 23, 2018, 10:09 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #7 of 12 (4185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Accrington Stanley Finance [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

However, these figures are meaningless without knowing the turnover, and if there is expenditure which is not part of this "budget"

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

PaulC

Jul 24, 2018, 8:24 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #8 of 12 (4001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Accrington Stanley Finance [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I

I can't deny my sympathies lie with holt but I really don't think Neville answers any of the criticisms aimed at him and those he throws back miss the point. He argues that he's spent millions on Salford, which is rather Holt's point. He accuses Holt of wanting 'franchise football', presumably inferring from Holt's comments that he'd rather have a closed shop, but it's a big leap to that conclusion from what Holt actually said, which was that it's ridiculous that a non-League club can out-pay an SPFL club. It's hard to disagree with that.

I admire the way Stanley have developed steadily over the past 50 years (Jesus, is it that long!) but although Salford City have developed in a different way I fail to see how one way is right and one is wrong.

If City can outspend Stanley, that's just the way of the professional football world they signed up to.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Jul 24, 2018, 8:25 AM)

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 24, 2018, 10:27 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #9 of 12 (3965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Accrington Stanley Finance [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Do they not claim to have been formed in 1891 because they tell everyone how they are the club that refused to die!

PaulC

Jul 24, 2018, 10:42 AM

Post #10 of 12 (3960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Accrington Stanley Finance [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Do they not claim to have been formed in 1891 because they tell everyone how they are the club that refused to die!

Accrington FC - 1876-1896
Accrington Stanley FC 1891-1966
Accrington Stanley (1968) FC formed 1968

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2018, 10:59 AM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #11 of 12 (3955 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I read 'budget' as covering everything, not just wages and/or transfer fees. At this stage of the season it's cutting it fine as you will probably have additional wage/transfer fees to cover, and you also have to run the club as a business.

You're mixing up budget and expenditure. One is a self-governed limit, the other is actual spend...

PaulC

Jul 25, 2018, 5:07 PM

Post #12 of 12 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Salford City have now signed Adam Rooney from Aberdeen for a reputed 4k or 5k per week depending on what you read. Last season he started in 16 league matches and was on the bench 19 times.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3