Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: Obituaries and Remembrances:
Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Dave R
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 27, 2018, 7:43 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 30 (6912 views)
Shortcut
Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) Can't Post or Reply Privately

I spoke with Trevor's wife, Pam, at lunchtime and I was shocked to hear that Trevor passed away this morning.

Many on this forum will have known Trevor far longer than I, some of you well back into the 1970s.

I first met Trevor ten years ago when I joined this forum. He contacted me to welcome me to the board and asked if I would like to travel to some games with him. Since then we travelled together about ten times each season and I have regarded Trevor as a really good friend.

Some of our trips were lengthy (Benburb return in a day being the longest) and we passed many hours talking about football, music, beer and many other topics including the boring stuff like work recollections as we were both former Local Authority employees.

We often put the world to rights and, whilst our political views were sometimes at odds, we were each respectful of the other's viewpoint.

In particular, Trevor's knowledge of football grounds and music was encyclopaedic and I always got home after a trip feeling I had learned something that day.

I got back from New York this morning and had a missed call on my phone from Trevor. I had assumed he was asking if I fancied a trip on Saturday. I returned the call when I arrived back in London only to receive the sad news. As I was on a packed coach it was inappropriate for me to talk in any detail with Pam, other than to express shock and offer condolences.

Above all I shall remember Trevor as a true gentleman. He rarely had a bad word to say about anybody.

RIP my friend.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jun 27, 2018, 9:30 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #2 of 30 (6848 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave R] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It is very difficult to express exactly how I feel reading such very sad news. Last saw Trevor on May 19th at Spreyton, along with Dave R, Tim, Richard Rundle and Wishmaster. Trevor's match post that day, (#20) was typical of his attention to detail and ability to make posts very readable and informative.

Several of us posted about what an enjoyable day it was, due in no small way to Trevor P who was wonderful company and a real gentleman as always. He was also the person who nagged me to start posting on here whenever he saw me and I'm glad he did.

I will never forget him. R.I.P. Trevor

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 27, 2018, 9:47 PM

Post #3 of 30 (6825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave R] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is very sad news indeed. I last saw Trevor in the 2016-17 season and he was as amiable and chatty as ever. My condolencies to his family.
RIP Trev'.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

hotchkiss
First Team Sub

Jun 27, 2018, 10:00 PM

Team(s): wolves,non league

Post #4 of 30 (6805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

True gentleman and nice guy.He seemed to remember everybody's name.Last spoke to Trevor at Bedfont in January.Condolences to Trevor's family.

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 27, 2018, 10:36 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #5 of 30 (6773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hotchkiss] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Shocked and very saddened to hear this news. I always enjoyed meeting Trevor at matches, and our paths crossed many times going back at least two decades.

Not sure of the last time I met him, although Iím sure itíd be recorded in one of his spreadsheets. A lovely bloke, who was always entertaining and interesting to chat to.

I looked forward to reading his WDYG reports, and that section of the forum will be poorer without his contributions.

Thoughts are with his family. RIP.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

martin55
First Team Sub

Jun 27, 2018, 10:49 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 30 (6751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Extremely sad news.

Having met Trevor at least once a season for the past, I donít know how many seasons, at various grounds in all parts of the county (and Scotland). I shall miss these meetings and pleasant exchanges that ensued.

Definitely a gentleman (most of the time), with a marvellous memory for the minutiae of this hobby of ours.

Condolences to Pam and Trevorís family.

RIP Trevor; youíll be missed.

Can you remember who you were, before they told you who you should be?

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 27, 2018, 10:51 PM

Post #7 of 30 (6749 views)
Shortcut

What a shock. Trevor was posting only a few days ago about the first matches he would be going to next season.

I can only echo the comments of others regarding Trevor's engaging personality. I first met him in a pub in Kirkcaldy back in 1999 and every time I have met or spoken to him since it has been an enjoyable encounter. Last saw Trevor two months ago and he was in good spirits as usual, never letting the physical problems which beset him in later years stop him from travelling the length and breadth of the country doing what he loved.

RIP Trevor, you will be greatly missed.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 28, 2018, 1:39 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #8 of 30 (6674 views)
Shortcut

It is so very sad to read this news. My thoughts, along with everyone else on the forum, will be with his friends and family.

I last met Trevor a couple of years ago at an end-of-season match at Northampton Spencer FC, where we chatted football, good beer, good music and forum matters, in the company of TheWavendonian, SandhurstBee, Dr.Love and others. I can remember him telling me how much he enjoyed the journeys he'd make to matches, almost as much as watching the football itself.

Rest in peace, Trevor.

dottirofhod

Jun 28, 2018, 7:21 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #9 of 30 (6626 views)
Shortcut

So sad , another elderly hopper heads to the sky. So many gone recently.

Knew Trevor well going back to the days when he was driving around in his ''Delmobile''.
One of the few whose sense of humour was on my level , spent most of our meetings chuckling at each other over a few beers of course.

We went that far back he was using this in them far off days , the original before the change in ingrediants . Hope there's a supply up there Trev.
RIP.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 23 / 21/ 2/ inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 21/ 07/ 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-3-4-2)/ Lux = 0-3 / Neth = 0-0-0-(2 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 /Italy =0-3/Iberia = P = 0-1& S=0-1.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

gcnc

Jun 28, 2018, 7:50 AM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #10 of 30 (6595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saddened and shocked to read this news. It was only last Saturday that we exchanged PMs about the trip he planned to Usk on July 14th. His reply to me typified his gentlemanly courtesy, and his enthusiasm for a new ground. Though he mentioned that his mobility had deteriorated further, there was nothing to suggest this.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Tim

Jun 28, 2018, 11:27 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #11 of 30 (6476 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is terrible news. Like Dave56, I was at Spreyton last month, and Trevor was, as ever, splendid company. I have been in email contact as recently as last Saturday, in which Trevor outlined some of his plans for the next few weeks. Our regular email exchange arose out of the discovery of a shared enthusiasm for music, particularly jazz-rock: many of Trevorís anecdotes about music were as enjoyable and informative as his Where Did You Go posts - particularly those recounting his visits to some of the more hidden corners of the West Country. Time after time, I found myself reading his posts and thinking: I must go there. What I will remember most about Trevor will be his endless and infectious enthusiasm for those things which interested him, along with his willingness to share his knowledge.

Nicely put by DaveR: groundhopper and gentleman. We will miss you, Trevor.

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Jun 28, 2018, 11:35 AM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #12 of 30 (6471 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I only met him the once when he visited my club some years ago but we had a long chat about the club and ground. I already knew of him because of his superb travelling accounts, his reputation preceded him, but what a lovely chap, so comfortable to be with and one you instantly feel you have known all your life.
What a loss to the groundhopping fraternity but even now he will be found watching some game in the Elysian Fields chatting to some fellow enthusiast. RIP Trevor, it was a privilege to have met you however briefly.

KnowYourMarket

Jun 28, 2018, 12:00 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #13 of 30 (6450 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Always good company when our paths crossed and we regularly exchanged messages with regard to beer, pubs and football.

Very sad news and another who will be missed. RIP Trevor.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 28, 2018, 2:28 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #14 of 30 (6341 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gobsmacked! I've known Trevor for the best part of thirty years and always enjoyed his company.
A thoroughly decent chap, his presence will be very sadly missed.
Pull up your seat and enjoy the rest Trevor. RIP.

Kit-Kat
Junior Team Star

Jun 28, 2018, 2:54 PM

Team(s): Cabbage & Ribs

Post #15 of 30 (6327 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Veteran phoned me yesterday as DaveR didnít have my number to break the very sad news of Trevorís passing. He was one of the nicest fellows you could ever meet. My deepest condolences to his wife and family.

I was introduced to Trevor by Beermonster many years ago. You can guess their common bond. Thereafter, I bumped into him from time to time and he was the most amiable of companions. On one embarrassing occasion, I failed to recognise him, as he was not wearing him signature flat cap. I will be eternally grateful to him for driving me to Luton Airport after a match at Brache Sparta. The last personal memory I have is seeing him at Ainslie Park for a Spartans v Threave Rovers match early one season, learning that he had driven straight up from Dawlish and was heading straight back after the match. Quite a trip.

Like others, I will miss his informative posts on WDYG, nearly always including the hostelries visited and beers sampled as well as a full description of the setting and match.

I hope that where you have gone, Trevor, there is a match on a new ground every day and a cosy pub with twenty hand pumps, dispensing ever-changing real ales.

Rest in peace, Trevor. We have lost a true gentleman from our midst.

Uncle Ian
Youth Team Sub

Jun 29, 2018, 12:45 AM

Post #16 of 30 (6123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kit-Kat] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lovely man. Helped me out on a number of occasions.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 29, 2018, 8:05 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #17 of 30 (6076 views)
Shortcut

Only had the pleasure of meeting him once when he turned up at KM before an FAC tie against Boston United the season before last 5 hours before kick off and the stories he told us about his hopping from years ago travelling 800 mile round trips in an old car were brilliant.

RIP Trevor the forum and the non league game has lost a gem.

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 29, 2018, 2:43 PM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #18 of 30 (5922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was really shocked & saddened when Dave R texted me the sad news. First met up with Trevor several years ago after he contacted me via this forum and we arranged to meet at Dawlish Town, his local club. After that meeting I had several excellent trips with Trevor and got to some grounds I would never have had the pleasure of visiting if it wasn't for him.

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

Dilligaf
Junior Team Star

Jun 29, 2018, 3:22 PM

Team(s):

Post #19 of 30 (5905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Truly dreadful news. Obviously held in high esteem by everyone who met him as can be read in all the previous comments.

I first met Trevor in April 2008 at Bedwell Rangers for a Herts Senior County League match. This was played on a pitch on the edge of an industrial park in a suburb of Stevenage and it really was as awful as it sounds. I was beginning to question my sanity for attending such a venue when Trevor introduced himself and i found myself conversing with him for the whole of the match .It just seemed afterwards that i had known him for years as a lifelong friend.

I regularly met Trevor at some obscure location at the end of most seasons when a particular ground was under threat. I think secretly he used to enjoy the challenge of a 'Vulture Job'. The last one was back in March at Ball Haye Green where once again i had the pleasure of his company and his expert knowledge of which hostelries to visit locally.
He was also keen on photography and his enthusiasm to visit ancient churches also inspired me to do the same when travelling to matches around the country.

Deepest condolences to Pam.

RIP Trevor

Warwickian
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 29, 2018, 7:38 PM

Post #20 of 30 (5775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dilligaf] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Such a sad loss.

Trevor was a lovely man,always very knowledgeable and excellent company.

RIP Trevor

Formerly known as Warwick Brake

South Mercian
Junior Team Star

Jun 29, 2018, 10:25 PM

Team(s): Tamworth, WBA

Post #21 of 30 (5687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Warwickian] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or

I didnt know the guy but just wanted to bring this post back to the top of the page.Seemed a very popular bloke and Im sure will be sorely missed

Always sad to lose a member of the Groundhopping club

RIP

Wmott
Junior Team Regular

Jun 30, 2018, 3:08 AM

Team(s): Torquay Utd

Post #22 of 30 (5617 views)
Shortcut
Re: [South Mercian] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I always enjoyed meeting up with Trevor at grounds many miles from his Devon home and discussing the declining fortunes of Torquay United amongst other things.
A gentleman who I will miss greatly but fondly remember when passing through Dawlish en route to Plainmoor.
The hobby has lost far too many good people recently.
RIP Trevor

Ian

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Jul 1, 2018, 12:40 AM

Post #23 of 30 (5392 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wmott] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or

I always look at this part of the forum through squinting eyes as I quietly dread seeing the name of one of my old Watford heroes from the 60s and 70s, but when I saw Trevor's name I just froze. Quite simply he was the good bloke that most of us aspire to be but few achieve.
Both he and Pam always asked about my spaniel Dillon after meeting him when he was a pup at a Bournemouth U18 game three years ago and it was always a pleasure to be with him and a pleasant surprise when he would arrive, albeit in recent seasons replete with a folding chair as his mobility got poorer.
Wherever you end up, Trev, enjoy it as whoever you are with will be better off by far as from now.
RIP mate x

richiejenn
First Team Star

Jul 1, 2018, 1:14 PM

Team(s):

Post #24 of 30 (5219 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaundiced Hack] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sad news indeed.
I had arranged with Trevor towards the end of last season to drive him round a few local micropubs next season on his next trip into North Kent.
Rest in peace TCP

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 1, 2018, 11:04 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #25 of 30 (5020 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaundiced Hack] Trevor Pike (groundhopper and gentleman) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Have just returned home from a week in Dorset and am saddened to read about Trevor's passing. I was only exchanging PMs on here a few days ago about our pre-season plans and thought about him earlier today when I discovered that a micropub had opened in Weymouth which would have been right up his street. Trevor was always interested in how his fellow groundhoppers were and as DaveR so rightly stated, was a gentleman. I only hope I have the enthusiasm to drive 300 miles for a new ground when I reach my mid-seventies.

RIP Trevor, enjoy the beers wherever you are.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3