Gerrard's pre Europa league message

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 21, 2018, 9:13 AM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #1 of 12 (1852 views)
Shortcut
Gerrard's pre Europa league message Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anyone else out there stunned (but I suppose not surprised) by the exceptionalism in Gerrard's public statements re the upcoming game against a Macedonian side.

Have just read it on the BBC site. It's full of how it'll be the Macedonian's team Cup Final, the biggest game of their lives, how they'll raise their game for the occasion, condescendingly talking about how Rangers will treat them with respect and all that guff.

Reality is, Stevie boy, a team that finished third in a domestic league in a nation of relatively low population and is about to take on a team that finished fourth in a domestic league in a nation of relatively low population .

Appreciate he has to talk the event up - but really!

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 21, 2018, 10:47 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2 of 12 (1795 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Gerrard's pre Europa league message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Has nobody told him the story of Progres Niederkorn from last season.

JimG
Youth Team Star

Jun 21, 2018, 1:35 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 12 (1685 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Gerrard's pre Europa league message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

First of all, I never, ever, thought I'd come to the defence of a team like Rangers. But, I think your comparison of the two teams by league position and country population, is rather unfair.

The name of Rangers is a big name in European football history, and their average home attendance last season was 49,174, more than all but five of English Premiership sides and virtually every other club in Europe. I can't find any statistics on Shkupi but a quick check on soccerway shows their attendances between 400 and 800.

It probably will be Shkupi's biggest game and they will undoubtedly raise their game, and KK's reminder of last seasons laughingly bizarre score means that Rangers must treat them with the greatest respect.

Having said all that, half of Scotland will be looking for a similar result to last season.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 21, 2018, 1:47 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #4 of 12 (1676 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JimG] Gerrard's pre Europa league message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

It probably will be Shkupi's biggest game.
======================================
Indeed they've not been going long.

There will be more Albania flags on show than Macedonia.

Daily Record gives a nice article about them - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/...ropa-league-12749929

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 278 /236 / 42 (You know my rules) @ 24 / 06 / 2019.
0-0's are standing at 19. Good run (19) until tonight 22 / 06.
Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-0-0-0-0). Lux = 0-0. Neth-= 0-0-0-(0 - 0).
Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

BelfastBlue
Youth Team Star

Jun 21, 2018, 2:19 PM

Team(s): Linfield, Camelon Juniors, Rangers, Spennymoor

Post #5 of 12 (1654 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Gerrard's pre Europa league message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lots of reasons for Stevie G talking up the game, but mostly because it is expected of him after last year's fiasco. Also helps guard against complacency and sell tickets.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 21, 2018, 5:31 PM

Post #6 of 12 (1586 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JimG] Gerrard's pre Europa league message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well, looking at stats

Macedonia : Population 2.1 million, 10 professional teams in their top league

Scotland : Population 5.3 million, 12 professional clubs in their top league.

Some difference but not so much.

And without wishing to reignite the much-debated point, sure there was a club called Glasgow Rangers that had an important European history. That club no longer exists. The club that Gerrard manages has a negligible European heritage.

My gripe was not at the whole Sevco stuff but the insufferable arrogance of Gerrard's statement. He's a rookie manager of a team that did moderately well in a league of moderate standing.

Sure they inhabit a huge stadium and have a huge fan base - but in terms of on-field standings, in as much as stats can predict, they're favourites to win, but, to use an EFL analogy, it's a bit like Walsall being favoured to beat Grimsby rather than Man City showing respect whilst stomping on Chesterfield.

paulh66

Jun 21, 2018, 5:37 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #7 of 12 (1583 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Gerrard's pre Europa league message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

If Caixinha had approached that tie the way Gerrard's approaching this one, that story would never have happened.

kirby knitters

Jun 21, 2018, 8:33 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #8 of 12 (1487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Gerrard's pre Europa league message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

If Caixinha had approached that tie the way Gerrard's approaching this one, that story would never have happened.
-----
-----
But a totally new squad of players has comparisons with last season.

jon b
First Team Star

Jun 21, 2018, 11:59 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #9 of 12 (1391 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

And without wishing to reignite the much-debated point, sure there was a club called Glasgow Rangers that had an important European history. That club no longer exists. The club that Gerrard manages has a negligible European heritage.

I don't think there's ever been a club called Glasgow Rangers. Or one called Glasgow Celtic or London Arsenal.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 22, 2018, 8:43 AM

Post #10 of 12 (1322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Gerrard's pre Europa league message [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the correction jon.

I'd have hated people to be confused and to be unsure of the sporting entity to which I was referring.

I'll edit my post to refer to a football team that almost everyone knew as Glasgow Rangers but weren't actually called that.

Oops : didn't realise that I don't think I can go back and edit. Still, it's the thought that counts.

Now as to the substantive point of my post....

(This post was edited by broodleyhoo on Jun 22, 2018, 8:45 AM)

BelfastBlue
Youth Team Star

Jun 22, 2018, 1:49 PM

Team(s): Linfield, Camelon Juniors, Rangers, Spennymoor

Post #11 of 12 (1228 views)
Shortcut

Maybe need to take this up with the powers that be..........
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/...ame-football-5752723

jon b
First Team Star

Jun 22, 2018, 3:30 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #12 of 12 (1182 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks for the correction jon.

I'd have hated people to be confused and to be unsure of the sporting entity to which I was referring.

I'll edit my post to refer to a football team that almost everyone knew as Glasgow Rangers but weren't actually called that.

Oops : didn't realise that I don't think I can go back and edit. Still, it's the thought that counts.

Now as to the substantive point of my post....

You'll appreciate there is an irony in raising the question of the identity of the club and then misidentifying it. Cool

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3