Clapton supporters form breakaway club

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Forest Gump
Youth Team Star

Jun 14, 2018, 8:13 AM

Post #1 of 323 (22604 views)
Shortcut
     Clapton supporters form breakaway club   or Reply Privately

The Clapton Ultras have formed their own club, playing in the Middlesex County League. They'll play their home games on the intermediate pitch at Wadham Lodge.

http://claptoncfc.co.uk/

FAN-OWNED FOOTBALL IS THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN FOR FAMOUS TONS
Clapton FC fans and Life Members unite to establish fan-owned club
Temporary move to Walthamstow for 2018-19 season
Court battle over the Spotted Dog continues, as local politicians back fight
Fans of Clapton FC have joined the club’s surviving Life Members to announce they will field a team for the 2018/19 season.

Following a deeply unsettled off–pitch period for The Tons, supporters, volunteers and members decided a break with the entity affiliated to the Essex Senior League was needed to preserve the legacy of one of London's oldest football clubs.

This announcement comes just days after Clapton's entire youth team structure decided to quit the beleaguered outfit and move to a rival club.

The Life Members, whose connection to the club traces back to the early 1900s, voted with fans to re-establish a functioning members’ club that is open to all, with transparency and inclusivity as its key values.

The club playing in the Essex Senior League is supposed to be a members’ club by its constitution. However, the ‘Tons Members Club’, under the present administration, has been ‘closed for restructuring’ for over 6 years.

Fans and members have boycotted home games for the whole of the 2017-18 season when the club’s chief executive attempted to liquidate the charity running the club’s historic Old Spotted Dog ground in Forest Gate.

Average attendances fell from 366 the season before, to 52 last season, including officials and away fans.

"I am delighted that having hibernated, our historic Club is reawakening"

Michael Fogg. Clapton Life Member
Clapton CFC
The revamped, fan-owned Clapton will compete in the Middlesex Counties Football League when the new season kicks off in September.

The club will be known as Clapton Community Football Club. Or Clapton CFC for short.

Members’ owned co-operative
Tons supporters, famed for being some of the most fervent in non-league, will once again get to decide how their club is run.

Set up as a co-operative, each member will have an equal vote in the direction fan-owned Clapton CFC will take. Hundreds of members have already signed up and the process is open to all.

The club's mission statement champions community football and its aim is to build on the fantastic work of fan groups like the Clapton Ultras in promoting wider community participation in local, grassroots football.

Temporary new home while High Court fight goes on
Clapton CFC's first action will be a temporary relocation to Wadham Lodge in Kitchener Road, Walthamstow, 3 train stops from E7, and 2 stops from where it all began in Clapton.

The fight to save the Old Spotted Dog, London’s oldest senior football ground, from liquidation is ongoing and is set to go to trial at the High Court, in a process that could run into 2019.

This fight is backed by West Ham MP, Lyn Brown, Newham mayor Roksana Fiaz, local Councillors, and over 1750 people who have signed an online petition calling for the Old Spotted Dog to remain a community asset.

Formed in 1877, Clapton have played at the Old Spotted Dog since 1887.

Clapton last played its home games in E17 during the mid-1880s, just before the club made the permanent move to the Old Spotted Dog.

Supporters remain positive that this could be a good omen as they eye a bright future for a members-run community football club back in E7 as soon as possible.

PartizanBristle
Youth Team Regular

Jun 14, 2018, 9:55 AM

Team(s): Bristol Rovers, Bristol Manor Farm, Clapton CFC

Post #2 of 323 (22340 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Forest Gump] Clapton supporters form breakaway club [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Good luck to 'em!

#83, 20/92

Club photographer for Bristol Manor Farm. Check out my shots here.

hubble
Junior Team Sub

Jun 14, 2018, 2:52 PM

Post #3 of 323 (21648 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [PartizanBristle] Clapton supporters form breakaway club [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Will they be in the Middx premier division who will be the manager will any former Clapton players be joining

beyondtheborder
Junior Team Regular

Jun 14, 2018, 7:04 PM

Post #4 of 323 (21166 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Forest Gump] Clapton supporters form breakaway club [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

The boycott worked then[crazy

hawkwind
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2018, 9:26 PM

Post #5 of 323 (20834 views)
Shortcut

Why the Middlesex County league?
Surely they would be ideal founder members of the Essex Senior League second tier at Step 6?

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 14, 2018, 9:30 PM

Post #6 of 323 (20827 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [hawkwind] Clapton supporters form breakaway club [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Presumably they're either unwilling or unable to enter at Step 6

anfield66
Junior Team Sub

Jun 14, 2018, 9:47 PM

Post #7 of 323 (20780 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [cope1] Clapton supporters form breakaway club [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

With the disruption, disturbance, violence and fines they caused ESL clubs they most probably thought it best to go to a league that is unaware of their past record as ultras..

spen666
Youth Team Regular

Jun 14, 2018, 11:25 PM

Post #8 of 323 (20516 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [anfield66] Clapton supporters form breakaway club [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Evening Vince

Tree Surgeon
Junior Team Regular

Jun 15, 2018, 9:10 AM

Post #9 of 323 (20118 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [cope1] Clapton supporters form breakaway club [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

I think the fact they will be playing at one of the outside pitches at Wadham Lodge coul dictate which League's will have them, although I could be wrong

hubble
Junior Team Sub

Jun 15, 2018, 10:42 AM

Post #10 of 323 (19998 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Tree Surgeon] Clapton supporters form breakaway club [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

I would have thourght with the support they will get they will play at the main ground

Forest Gump
Youth Team Star

Jun 15, 2018, 10:56 AM

Post #11 of 323 (19977 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [hubble] Clapton supporters form breakaway club [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I would have thourght with the support they will get they will play at the main ground

There's already two teams on the main pitch - Walthamstow and Wadham Lodge.

anfield66
Junior Team Sub

Jun 15, 2018, 5:40 PM

Post #12 of 323 (19543 views)
Shortcut

The Official Clapton FC supporters club are delighted that these ultras have moved away, hopefully they can find peace and happiness on a park pitch where they can drink their cans of beer and bottles of spirits, smoke their pot and light their flares without breaking any official stadium, league or Football association rules. As long as they stay away all existing Clapton fans wish them no harm at all.

spen666
Youth Team Regular

Jun 15, 2018, 7:02 PM

Post #13 of 323 (19392 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [anfield66] Clapton supporters form breakaway club [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The Official Clapton FC supporters club are delighted that these ultras have moved away, hopefully they can find peace and happiness on a park pitch where they can drink their cans of beer and bottles of spirits, smoke their pot and light their flares without breaking any official stadium, league or Football association rules. As long as they stay away all existing Clapton fans wish them no harm at all.

Still here Vince?

Tree Surgeon
Junior Team Regular

Jun 15, 2018, 8:10 PM

Post #14 of 323 (19265 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [hubble] Clapton supporters form breakaway club [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Not what I have been told - don't forget, both Walthamstow and Wadham Lodge already use the main pitch

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 16, 2018, 7:53 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #15 of 323 (18813 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Top post. I am so glad someone else has the same opinion I do regarding this self righteous hypocritical bunch to morons.
They claim to a ‘All inclusive’ and welcome anyone. (Nice of them). However, a friend of mine, medically discharged from the army with psychological and physical injuries went to a Couple of Clapton games and was welcomed into the fray as a newcomer. However when he mentioned he was a former squaddie he was roundly dismissed as a facist and heckled accordingly.
He now groundhops, yet to put in an appearance here despite my efforts, and won’t go near Clapton or any other clubs with hipster or similar support.

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 16, 2018, 12:50 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #16 of 323 (18505 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Bigaitch] Clapton supporters form breakaway club [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

These are people who decided to support a club and immediately decided that they didn't like how it was run.
They did, to an extent, breath new life into in Clapton but developed a sense of entitlement just for turning up.
Whether or not Clapton are still with us in a few years time, I don't think the (self styled) ultras will be.missed.

Simple Pieman
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 17, 2018, 4:06 PM

Team(s): Tottenham Hotspur and (When I can) Harlow Town

Post #17 of 323 (17728 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Bigaitch] Clapton supporters form breakaway club [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Good words Ladderman 100% agree with you on this.
Likewise Bigaitch - your friend's experience does not surprise me. This mob have an unhealthy obsession with the word facist and they can't wait for any opportunity to bring it in to football - why?
Whichever intermediate or junior league is unfortunate enough to host this mob will have their work cut out. Also the ultras will need to find at least one person with the appetite to run the administration for the new club - we can all drink cans of Polish beer and dance around but it will take a bit more than that!

http://pieandmushypeas.blogspot.com

(This post was edited by Simple Pieman on Jun 17, 2018, 4:07 PM)

PartizanBristle
Youth Team Regular

Jun 18, 2018, 10:34 AM

Post #18 of 323 (17178 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Simple Pieman] Clapton supporters form breakaway club [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Delicious po-facedness on this forum as always.

The original Clapton will almost certainly go bust soon, exactly what Vince wanted and all the non-league 'fans' on this weird site will be clapping and cheering the loss of London's oldest ground.

Because we can't have people having fun at football can we. Cool

#83, 20/92

PartizanBristle
Youth Team Regular

Jun 18, 2018, 10:39 AM

Post #19 of 323 (17171 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Will they be in the Middx premier division who will be the manager will any former Clapton players be joining

Looks like former captain Geoff Ocran has been named player-manager.

#83, 20/92

LDM
Junior Team Sub

Jun 18, 2018, 10:43 AM

Post #20 of 323 (17162 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Simple Pieman] Clapton supporters form breakaway club [In reply to]   or

Mishi will deny this but I know a few old timers who - though far from regulars - used to attend matches at Champion Hill (both old and new) but have stopped going simply because of their new 'fans'.

They are exactly the same; 'all inclusive' except for those who don't agree with their opinions.

They just wanted to go to football, have an afternoon away from their wives, a few beers and a bit of a laugh with friends but a couple of them were called fascists and effectively harassed into not going because they refused to sign a petition.

As I said, Mishi will deny this and say that I'm lying but I'm not. He'll also say about how the club was dying and these new 'fans' have not only saved the club but propelled it forwards - and he is right - but something doesn't seem right when you consider how they hijacked the club.

anfield66
Junior Team Sub

Jun 18, 2018, 11:21 AM

Post #21 of 323 (17081 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [PartizanBristle] Clapton supporters form breakaway club [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

What a load of old tosh, Vince McBean has been at the club for nearly 20 years and the club has not gone bust. you are talking total rubbish. Best you go off to the local park and enjoy yourselves and keep well clear of Clapton FC. Hopefully you and your ultras will now stop making false accusations to anyone who is gullible enough to listen to you.
And before you and your ultras start throwing around more false accusations, Yes the club does have public liability insurance, yes the club does have a fire and safety certificate, yes they do have permission to play at the Old spotted dog and so on. All these false accusations did was to make the ultras look like what they are, clueless privileged interlopers. I just hope no one tries to destroy your club as you tried and failed to do at Clapton F.C.

PartizanBristle
Youth Team Regular

Jun 18, 2018, 11:58 AM

Post #22 of 323 (17000 views)
Shortcut

I'm not an ultra and I've never been to watch Clapton, I've just followed the developments from Bristol as a concerned supporter of grassroots football.

However based on the strength of the opposition here I have decided to put put my money where my mouth is and become a member of Clapton CFC. Look forward to getting to a game early next season. Smile

#83, 20/92

anfield66
Junior Team Sub

Jun 18, 2018, 12:13 PM

Post #23 of 323 (16963 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I'm not an ultra and I've never been to watch Clapton, I've just followed the developments from Bristol as a concerned supporter of grassroots football.

However based on the strength of the opposition here I have decided to put put my money where my mouth is and become a member of Clapton CFC. Look forward to getting to a game early next season. Smile

Good luck with that! I just hope you fit their very strict political and ideological views otherwise like most of us non league fans it end in total bewiderment. It is football not some weird political sect trying to carve its way into where it is not wanted.

PartizanBristle
Youth Team Regular

Jun 18, 2018, 12:19 PM

Post #24 of 323 (16944 views)
Shortcut

Thanks! I'm sorry fan ownership and anti-racism is such a bewildering concept to you. I hope one day you are able to join us in 2018. Cool

#83, 20/92

spen666
Youth Team Regular

Jun 18, 2018, 12:19 PM

Post #25 of 323 (16944 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
What a load of old tosh, Vince McBean has been at the club for nearly 20 years and the club has not gone bust. you are talking total rubbish. Best you go off to the local park and enjoy yourselves and keep well clear of Clapton FC. Hopefully you and your ultras will now stop making false accusations to anyone who is gullible enough to listen to you.
And before you and your ultras start throwing around more false accusations, Yes the club does have public liability insurance, yes the club does have a fire and safety certificate, yes they do have permission to play at the Old spotted dog and so on. All these false accusations did was to make the ultras look like what they are, clueless privileged interlopers. I just hope no one tries to destroy your club as you tried and failed to do at Clapton F.C.

Anyone find it strange how Vince talks about himself in the 3rd party here via his alter ego anfield66?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3