INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: Programme Editing & Collecting:
Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 8, 2018, 3:29 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #1 of 22 (2258 views)
Shortcut
Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. Can't Post or Reply Privately

The proposal was agreed at today's EFL AGM: https://www.efl.com/...e-2018--agm-round-up

"A number of Clubs had previously asked the EFL if the mandatory publication of a match programme could be addressed as a result of an overall decline in sales and the proliferation of digital and social media, which has the ability to deliver the same content in a more cost effective manner. Mandatory publication of a programme was required due to a number of the EFLís partnership, sponsorship and opt-in agreements.

EFL Clubs approved an amendment which allows Clubs to opt out of providing advertising in match programmes on the basis it is replaced with other inventory. This amendment will mean that the requirement to deliver programme advertising in the EFL Regulations will only apply if a match programme is produced. The amended regulation provides each Club with the option to determine whether or not they publish a match programme."

Non-league will surely soon follow.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jun 8, 2018, 3:52 PM)

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Jun 8, 2018, 3:56 PM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #2 of 22 (2230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ah well, their loss, if I know a club can't be bothered, I shan't either. I'll take my money elsewhere.

2017-18 - 122 games (N Cyprus/Karp), 392 goals, av gpg 3.21, 48 new grounds.
2016-17 - 103 games, 329 goals, av gpg 3.19, 41 new grounds.
New Grounds in 2018 - 24. 2017 -44. Last new - Bohemian, 25-5-18, Grounds in Total - 1172.
RL Grounds - 32 (Last - Belle Vue, Wakefield Trinity RL (1/7/17), Speedway Tracks 50.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Jun 8, 2018, 4:48 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #3 of 22 (2193 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Colchester United will issue a free programme to all fans (not sure if that is both sets or just home)at home games in 2018/19.

kirby knitters

Jun 8, 2018, 7:32 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #4 of 22 (2081 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Ah well, their loss, if I know a club can't be bothered, I shan't either. I'll take my money elsewhere.

Until you eventually run out of clubs to visit above a certain level.

paulh66

Jun 8, 2018, 8:05 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #5 of 22 (2051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It'll certainly have no bearing on which matches I attend but it might influence whether I carry on buying programmes. At present, if a prog is issued I have to buy one and will usually make a point of turning up in good time to get one. But if, once they're optional, I have to go checking on which clubs issue, which clubs don't and which clubs sometimes do/sometimes don't, or if the availability of such information is patchy, it'll possibly become too much hassle to bother with altogether.

kirby knitters

Jun 8, 2018, 10:29 PM

Post #6 of 22 (1956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Reading some of the comments on here it could well determine whether certain people still attend football matches at all. Priorities but if paper comes before the reason for going to games which i suspect it does for many then the 'other sports' section could be on overload!

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 8, 2018, 10:41 PM

Team(s): None

Post #7 of 22 (1943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Reading some of the comments on here it could well determine whether certain people still attend football matches at all. Priorities but if paper comes before the reason for going to games which i suspect it does for many then the 'other sports' section could be on overload!

The only major sport which offers programmes and plays on Saturdays between October and March is Rugby Union.
Ice Hockey is usually played in the evening making it difficult to get back if not local. Think some hockey matches may be played on Saturday, but the programme is a league production with just an insert from the home club.

Steelback
First Team Star

Jun 9, 2018, 12:34 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #8 of 22 (1763 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

It might not stop people going but it could be a factor in deciding which game to watch, just like if you want to see a certain player playing if heís injured you might go somewhere else.

If you live in High Wycombe say and want to watch a game on Saturday if Flackwell Heath & Holmer Green are both at home you might choose to watch HG if they do a programme over FH if they donít just as you might choose whichever one has the best parking or cover or does the best coffee or burgers.

Surely the prime objective of most clubs if to have more people watching them, this wonít encourage someone to go and watch a team but it MAY discourage them.

'Little' Northamptonshire Steelbacks 2013 & 2016 T20 CHAMPIONS

Tim

Jun 9, 2018, 12:48 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #9 of 22 (1751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I imagine the main reason for not producing a programme is that not many people are buying them. It follows, therefore, that not many people will be discouraged from attending if there is no programme.

Karb
First Team Sub

Jun 9, 2018, 12:53 PM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #10 of 22 (1750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

It might not stop people going but it could be a factor in deciding which game to watch, just like if you want to see a certain player playing if heís injured you might go somewhere else.

If you live in High Wycombe say and want to watch a game on Saturday if Flackwell Heath & Holmer Green are both at home you might choose to watch HG if they do a programme over FH if they donít just as you might choose whichever one has the best parking or cover or does the best coffee or burgers.

Surely the prime objective of most clubs if to have more people watching them, this wonít encourage someone to go and watch a team but it MAY discourage them.

While the production (or not) of a programme doesnít affect my decision on where I go, I normally aim to get to grounds earlier if if I know they produce programmes, in case they sell out before kick off.

And, as Iím there earlier, Iím likely to buy a pint or two before kick off, rather than staying in the nearby pub and arriving at the ground at five minutes to kick off.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

kirby knitters

Jun 9, 2018, 5:44 PM

Post #11 of 22 (1659 views)
Shortcut

Southern League clubs that chose not to do a hard copy did an on-line version. Is it the same with league clubs that go down the same road?

jrev61

Jun 9, 2018, 8:38 PM

Post #12 of 22 (1571 views)
Shortcut

As the worst supported league club still gets 1,600 attending their home games, it's hard to see how they can lose money on programmes even if only 20% of the attendance buys one.
Most non-league clubs could make a decent profit on sales of 320 programmes assuming they can get the advertising.
If a league club is losing money on the programme, perhaps they should review the position of commercial manager, assuming he/she is a full time employee.
Another alternative would be to do a 1970s lower division style programme, just 16 pages and only £1. This would still have team squads, results/fixtures and league tables, which is all that is really needed. Two page interviews with youth team players including several colour photos and ridiculous questions like 'Tea or coffee?' are a waste of time.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 9, 2018, 10:53 PM

Post #13 of 22 (1511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Two page interviews with youth team players including several colour photos and ridiculous questions like 'Tea or coffee?' are a waste of time.

.. and presumably is one of the reasons why many spectators no longer buy a programme.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Jun 9, 2018, 11:42 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #14 of 22 (1487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

When I first started buying programmes they weren't thick, like the ones you get today, they had the managers notes on the up coming game, an up to date fixture/results list, a player profile containing useful info and not whether he prefers tea or coffee, a few ads from local businesses and the Football League magazine.

Choirboy Dave
Ballboy/girl

Jun 10, 2018, 6:10 PM

Team(s): Poole Town (current) Watford (past)

Post #15 of 22 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If I know a club isn't producing a programme available on the day of the match I know I wouldn't go if I was a neutral. So they have lost all the other cash I would spend too.

Poole Town from 30 August 2014. Watford from 25 September 1982 to 12 August 2014 Matches 1772 (1616W, 203PT) Grounds combined total 168 (112 Watford + 57 Poole Town - 1 both = 168)

KnowYourMarket

Jun 11, 2018, 9:02 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #16 of 22 (1164 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Choirboy Dave] Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And contrary to that I don't give a hoot if a programme is available or not. If there is one I still won't buy it as the ones I have bought have nothing particularly of interest to read.

Some people want a programme and some people don't. You pay your money and make your choice.

Last ground visited: Rochester United. Avg Goal 15/16: 4.43 Avg att 15/16: 392. New grounds 15/16: 37

kirby knitters

Jun 11, 2018, 9:50 AM

Post #17 of 22 (1141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Choirboy Dave] Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
If I know a club isn't producing a programme available on the day of the match I know I wouldn't go if I was a neutral. So they have lost all the other cash I would spend too.
-----
-----
I think people like you are few and far between these days and if you are talking from a hoppers perspective then you would probably only visit once anyway so I doubt your cash loss would cause them problems.

paulh66

Jun 11, 2018, 11:03 AM

Post #18 of 22 (1115 views)
Shortcut

Clubs will naturally factor the lost revenues from boycotting spectators into their decision about whether to carry on issuing. As suggested above, I suspect this will be a very low figure indeed.

Jim S
Youth Team Regular

Jun 12, 2018, 4:08 PM

Team(s):

Post #19 of 22 (833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Which ice hockey league produces a programme that clubs do inserts for?

Richard Rundle

Jun 12, 2018, 6:23 PM

Post #20 of 22 (784 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
As the worst supported league club still gets 1,600 attending their home games, it's hard to see how they can lose money on programmes even if only 20% of the attendance buys one.

Some clubs are selling well under 20%. Under 10% in fact.

jrev61

Jun 12, 2018, 7:39 PM

Post #21 of 22 (743 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jim S] Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Which ice hockey league produces a programme that clubs do inserts for?

My comment about club inserts referred to hockey not ice hockey. I used the English terms not the American.

prorege

Jun 13, 2018, 8:24 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #22 of 22 (480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Programmes no longer compulsory in EFL. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Some clubs are selling well under 20%. Under 10% in fact.
Most in Scotland would be delighted with that. Celtic selling fewer than 1000 to crowds of 50,000. Hamilton and St johnstone struggling to reach three figure sales for some games. Hearts printing 1000 for crowds of 17000.

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3