Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: Football in other countries:
World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 15, 2018, 10:49 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #401 of 425 (3124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surely you've already seen that happen? Certainly occurred in some big televised games though I can't be specific; I'm sure someone else will know.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 15, 2018, 10:59 PM

Post #402 of 425 (3116 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Interestingly, Lineker floated the idea that maybe the laws should be changed by removing "deliberate(ly)". This would certainly remove ambiguity, but would also increase the number of penalties/free-kicks quite considerably.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 15, 2018, 11:15 PM

Post #403 of 425 (3095 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On a different topic, there was no sign of the hooliganism predicted by the many lurid newspaper articles (and some MPs) prior to the tournament.

buncranaboy

Jul 15, 2018, 11:24 PM

Post #404 of 425 (3090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
On a different topic, there was no sign of the hooliganism predicted by the many lurid newspaper articles (and some MPs) prior to the tournament.

No different to the scary advice given by that "Great Football Mind" Sol Campbell just before the 2012 Euros

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 16, 2018, 4:55 PM

Post #405 of 425 (2866 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I've already mentioned it on here, but the lack of trouble is probably largely due to the clever idea the Russians had of making spectators wear ID cards. It's not easy to pick a fight with someone when you've got something that identifies you dangling around your neck. The idea that Pussy Riot had of invading the pitch disguised as police officers was even cleverer though!

I thought France deserved to win it as they were the better side (despite the stupid penalty award) although the best moment for me was the Pussy Riot invasion, which appeared briefly on the BBC's live coverage of the game. Pussy Riot are heroes!

(This post was edited by greenwood on Jul 16, 2018, 10:32 PM)

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 16, 2018, 5:09 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #406 of 425 (2849 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I thought Russia deserved to win it as they were the better side (despite the stupid penalty award).

============================================================

I have it taped and will watch it at some stage . Russia did well ?

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 136/ 112 / 24(You know my rules) @ 12 /12 /2018.(Only 10 x 0-0's)

Project TFTTUEFAG's2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).
Need - 108 ( 15.2%).

buncranaboy

Jul 16, 2018, 7:34 PM

Post #407 of 425 (2780 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I've already mentioned it on here, but the lack of trouble is probably largely due to the clever idea the Russians had of making spectators wear ID cards. It's not easy to pick a fight with someone when you've got something that identifies you dangling around your neck.

And I've previously replied that you didn't have to wear the thing, merely show it upon entry.

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 16, 2018, 10:37 PM

Post #408 of 425 (2688 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I've already mentioned it on here, but the lack of trouble is probably largely due to the clever idea the Russians had of making spectators wear ID cards. It's not easy to pick a fight with someone when you've got something that identifies you dangling around your neck.

And I've previously replied that you didn't have to wear the thing, merely show it upon entry.

Wearing it or carrying it - same thing really. By the way, while watching one of England's games on TV, I noticed that a young male England fan - who looked a bit like a hooligan - was not wearing his ID card around his neck. As he didn't look like the sort of fan who would bring a bag with him (only hoppers do that) I wondered if he had flushed his ID card down the toilet after entering the stadium. After all, what aspiring hooligan wants to carry an ID card around with them?

(This post was edited by greenwood on Jul 16, 2018, 10:38 PM)

buncranaboy

Jul 16, 2018, 10:40 PM

Post #409 of 425 (2683 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Wearing it or carrying it - same thing really. By the way, while watching one of England's games on TV, I noticed that a young male England fan - who looked a bit like a hooligan - was not wearing his ID card around his neck. As he didn't look like the sort of fan who would bring a bag with him (only hoppers do that) I wondered if he had flushed his ID card down the toilet after entering the stadium. After all, what aspiring hooligan wants to carry an ID card around with them?

Those who might want to leave the country ?

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 16, 2018, 10:47 PM

Post #410 of 425 (2671 views)
Shortcut

A passport and a return air ticket might suffice - but seriously, I guess he probably had the ID card stuffed down in his pocket all along, even if that wouldn't have been a very wise thing to do.

buncranaboy

Jul 16, 2018, 10:52 PM

Post #411 of 425 (2667 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
A passport and a return air ticket might suffice .

Not so. Your fan ID was your visa which you had to show in order to get out of Russia - you are aware that a visa is required for Russia?

Mine was stuffed into my pocket most of the time which didn't strike me or anyone else as unwise.

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 16, 2018, 11:06 PM

Post #412 of 425 (2653 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Not so. Your fan ID was your visa which you had to show in order to get out of Russia - you are aware that a visa is required for Russia?

Mine was stuffed into my pocket most of the time which didn't strike me or anyone else as unwise.

Yes, I'm aware that visas are needed for Russia. It will be interesting to see if the ID card scenario is repeated in future World Cups, particularly those taking place in Western Europe.

jrev61

Jul 17, 2018, 8:58 AM

Team(s): None

Post #413 of 425 (2543 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Yes, I'm aware that visas are needed for Russia. It will be interesting to see if the ID card scenario is repeated in future World Cups, particularly those taking place in Western Europe.

There will be no World Cup in Western Europe in the foreseeable future, unless of course something goes wrong with Qatar.

jrev61

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 17, 2018, 9:26 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #414 of 425 (2511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

There will be no World Cup in Western Europe in the foreseeable future, unless of course something goes wrong with Qatar.

Depends how far into the future you want to forsee!

2026 is now set for USA and friends from beyond the wall, (and Canada)

Although there may be a feeling that 2030 should be in South America, being the anniversary of the original World Cup in Uruguay, this is not guaranteed to happen, 2030 could be in Europe

If 2030 is not in Europe, then surely 2034 will be?

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 17, 2018, 9:31 AM

Post #415 of 425 (2503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Meanwhile, it was disappointing to see that the Pussy Riot pitch invaders were jailed for 15 days, particularly as an earlier report I had read stated that the maximum sentence for the each of the offences they had been charged with was a fine. Perhaps Putin (who allegedly looked very angry during the presentation of the trophy, although I had switched off the TV by then as I had other things to do) ordered an immediate change to the law?

jrev61

Jul 17, 2018, 10:49 AM

Team(s): None

Post #416 of 425 (2476 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Meanwhile, it was disappointing to see that the Pussy Riot pitch invaders were jailed for 15 days, particularly as an earlier report I had read stated that the maximum sentence for the each of the offences they had been charged with was a fine. Perhaps Putin (who allegedly looked very angry during the presentation of the trophy, although I had switched off the TV by then as I had other things to do) ordered an immediate change to the law?

15 days in prison is hardly Stalinist repression. Someone doing the same thing in this country could get a similar sentence, especially if they had previous. Have you got all of Pussy Riots albums?

jrev61

Corona
Junior Team Sub

Jul 17, 2018, 4:53 PM

Post #417 of 425 (2386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

One statistic where England enjoyed first place (well, joint first place). Most defeats. Equal first with panama and Egypt.

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 17, 2018, 5:19 PM

Post #418 of 425 (2375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Corona] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
One statistic where England enjoyed first place (well, joint first place). Most defeats. Equal first with panama and Egypt.

Another interesting Stat, England were the first team to lose to the same opposition twice in the same world cup finals Tournament.

I need to have the last word as it makes it look as if i'm always right!

hawkwind
First Team Star

Jul 17, 2018, 10:46 PM

Post #419 of 425 (2299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Another interesting Stat, England were the first team to lose to the same opposition twice in the same world cup finals Tournament.

Not quite.

1954 Turkey lost twice to FRGermany and Italy lost twice to Switzerland; 1958 Northern Ireland beat Czechoslovakia twice; and most recently 2002 Brazil beat Turkey twice.

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 18, 2018, 9:44 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #420 of 425 (2208 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Are we getting to the point when a player who isn't in a goal scoring position then deliberately aims the ball at an opponents hand from close range to try and win a penalty?

If someone gets themselves between an attacker and the goal and spreads their body to block pass/shot/cross, they're always running the risk that what they'll end up blocking pass/shot/cross with is an arm or hand. They've deliberately chosen to run that risk.

In those circumstances I don't have any sympathy if that means the Ref awards a penalty.

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 18, 2018, 10:01 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #421 of 425 (2197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Corona] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Fortunately, two defeats by Belgium given the quality of their current squad is no big deal. The more meaningful stat is that England very pleasantly surprised us by managing to play seven games at the tournament.

Given that Italy, The Netherlands and a host of others didn't manage even a single match at the Finals, I'll not lose sleep over a couple of losses against the side currently ranked third in the FIFA world rankings. Cool

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 18, 2018, 4:46 PM

Post #422 of 425 (2119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Fortunately, two defeats by Belgium given the quality of their current squad is no big deal. The more meaningful stat is that England very pleasantly surprised us by managing to play seven games at the tournament.

Kevin de Bruyne must arguably be the best thing ever to come out of Belgium since Tintin (with who he shares a striking resemblance - it's a pity Herge is no longer around to enjoy it!) as he is such a gifted player. I also admire him for his sporting attitude - the Manchester City manager was recently quoted as saying that Kevin is a "very humble" person as well as being such a talented player. He is one of the very few Premier League players I would pay money to watch.

(This post was edited by greenwood on Jul 18, 2018, 4:52 PM)

buncranaboy

Jul 18, 2018, 5:47 PM

Post #423 of 425 (2091 views)
Shortcut

Eddy Mercks and Plastic Bertrand fans may disagree.

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 20, 2018, 11:30 AM

Team(s): Fareham Town - THE CREEKSIDERS

Post #424 of 425 (1950 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Eddy Mercks and Plastic Bertrand fans may disagree.

Not forgetting Orval and La Chouffe to name but 2 beers

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor
www.facebook.com/nonleaguebins

A football club is for life, not just for trophies

paulh66

Jul 20, 2018, 12:10 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #425 of 425 (1937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Indeed, the best thing to come out of Belgium in my lifetime was the car boot load of goodies I brought back from the XL Palais des Bieres in Adinkerke. And that's no disrespect at all to Messrs De Bruyne, Mercxx and Bertrand. Smile

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3