First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

kivo
First Team Sub

Jun 8, 2018, 4:08 PM

Team(s): Kiveton Park, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #1 of 113 (16588 views)
Shortcut
Shaw Lane call it a day! Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chairman has had enough and decided to fold the first team.

Can of worms - open at your leisure...

doktorb berske
Youth Team Regular

Jun 8, 2018, 4:12 PM

Team(s): Burscough

Post #2 of 113 (16556 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kivo] Shaw Lane call it a day! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Chairman has had enough and decided to fold the first team.

Can of worms - open at your leisure...

Aquaforce to SpentForce in about three seasons!

I count as a groundhop whatever I feel appropriate.

Reserves? Yes, why not?
Friendlies? No problem.
Bracketed ticks? Come on in, I say.

"I tried to organise freedom,
How Scandinavian of me!"

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 8, 2018, 4:14 PM

Team(s): None

Post #3 of 113 (16546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doktorb berske] Shaw Lane call it a day! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Few who have seen them play will miss this nasty bunch.
Cue more teams being moved between leagues and an extra team promoted?

jrev61

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 8, 2018, 4:21 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #4 of 113 (16508 views)
Shortcut

The club's statement: http://www.shawlaneafc.com/....WxqaVPXtwZ0.twitter

Seems the owner's vision was slightly divorced from reality. A shame because the town could probably support a club with more modest aims, but I suppose they came from nowhere and disappeared back to nowhere relatively quickly, and nobody got hurt.

Anyway, I hear the distant sounds of spreadsheets rustling... Excel seems to be running quite slowly at the moment....Wink

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Jun 8, 2018, 4:26 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #5 of 113 (16466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Shaw Lane call it a day! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am not greatly surprised, although I though they might have lasted another season before concluding they were going nowhere.

People weren't hurt, I am sure, but as a big payer at their level, they were contributing to inflation of players' wages, which could not be sustained, and will have gone up through the divisions at the expense of more traditional clubs.

Dazzla84
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 8, 2018, 4:35 PM

Team(s): Newcastle United, South Shields, Werder Bremen, Toulouse

Post #6 of 113 (16368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Shaw Lane call it a day! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Seems the owner's vision was slightly divorced from reality. A shame because the town could probably support a club with more modest aims, but I suppose they came from nowhere and disappeared back to nowhere relatively quickly, and nobody got hurt.

Anyway, I hear the distant sounds of spreadsheets rustling... Excel seems to be running quite slowly at the moment....Wink

In this case, it'll probably be this

1. The NPL Premier division gains the most northerly team in the new Central League, which by geography will be wither Coalville Town or Hednesford Town

2. The vacant spot at Step 3 should be taken by the next best playoff losing finalist, in this case, Wimbourne Town

3. The vacant spot at Step 4 should be taken by the next best 3rd placed side at Step 5, in this case, it would be FC Romania from the Essex Senior league

Either that or because its come so late, then the NPL premier could operate one club short at 21 clubs

007Dale
First Team Regular

Jun 8, 2018, 4:41 PM

Post #7 of 113 (16327 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dazzla84] Shaw Lane call it a day! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

1. The NPL Premier division gains the most northerly team in the new Central League, which by geography will be wither Coalville Town or Hednesford Town

2. The vacant spot at Step 3 should be taken by the next best playoff losing finalist, in this case, Wimbourne Town

3. The vacant spot at Step 4 should be taken by the next best 3rd placed side at Step 5, in this case, it would be FC Romania from the Essex Senior league

Either that or because its come so late, then the NPL premier could operate one club short at 21 clubs

Or at least keep the movements ‘in region’, so take the highest places step 3 team that would fit into the NPL footprint and so on...

ladderman

Jun 8, 2018, 4:46 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #8 of 113 (16281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Shaw Lane call it a day! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

But the FA told us promoting clubs in region was impossible and would lead the demise of civilization and the earth's core disintegrating

windydcfc

Jun 8, 2018, 4:52 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #9 of 113 (16235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dazzla84] Shaw Lane call it a day! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NPL statement, expect club movements within the national league system http://www.evostikleague.co.uk/...-shaw-lane-afc-51200

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 8, 2018, 4:54 PM

Post #10 of 113 (16213 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
1. The NPL Premier division gains the most northerly team in the new Central League, which by geography will be either Coalville Town or Hednesford Town

Who moves from SLP South to Central?

Dazzla84
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 8, 2018, 5:03 PM

Post #11 of 113 (16125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Shaw Lane call it a day! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
1. The NPL Premier division gains the most northerly team in the new Central League, which by geography will be either Coalville Town or Hednesford Town

Probably Banbury

Dazzla84
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 8, 2018, 5:08 PM

Post #12 of 113 (16089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Shaw Lane call it a day! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Or at least keep the movements ‘in region’, so take the highest places step 3 team that would fit into the NPL footprint and so on...

That would be sensible but do that and expect legal challenges galore

windydcfc

Jun 8, 2018, 5:14 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #13 of 113 (16041 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Probably Banbury

Will there be a reprieve for a Essex Senior League Relegated club?

Dazzla84
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 8, 2018, 5:14 PM

Post #14 of 113 (16034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Shaw Lane call it a day! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Probably Banbury

Will there be a reprieve for a Essex Senior League Relegated club?

Id think so if common sense is present

paulh66

Jun 8, 2018, 5:24 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #15 of 113 (15946 views)
Shortcut

Yep, 27 minutes was all it took for yet another football discussion to be hijacked by the pyramidistas! Laugh Sod the demise of a football club, there just aren't enough threads to speculate about reprieves, lateral movements etc...

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 8, 2018, 5:34 PM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 113 (15867 views)
Shortcut

The discussion IS about what happens next and how it affects far more clubs than Shaw lane voluntarily winding themselves up. I think it's a fair topic.

ladderman

Jun 8, 2018, 5:44 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #17 of 113 (15777 views)
Shortcut

I'm sure if it was Tranmere, stortford or.....well any established club but people don't care about vanity projects. Purfleet /thurrock were around a lot longer, and few mourned them.
I know little of aquaforce, but the owner seemed good at pissing people off. He also seemed very quick to pull the trigger on his club. It took ten months to get a buyer for stortford, and that's the date from when we went public - feelers had been out for a while.

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 8, 2018, 5:52 PM

Team(s):

Post #18 of 113 (15702 views)
Shortcut

You can throw a stamp over which is further north, Hednesford or Coalville. Hednesford has better access to the North western clubs being next to the M6 and Coalville to the North Eastern via the M1. It's anyones guess I suppose.

paulh66

Jun 8, 2018, 5:54 PM

Post #19 of 113 (15683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Shaw Lane call it a day! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I see their average gate was just shy of 200. A bit low for where the owner wanted to take them but still respectable for, say, up to step 4. Particularly in a town where, until the emergence of Athersley, there was no real non-league presence, if I'm not mistaken. Like you, I doubt there'll be much mourning given the image the club seems to have acquired but it does appear a wasted opportunity to build something worthwhile and long lasting, albeit smaller scale, in a town that could probably support and benefit from such a venture.

Still, I suppose it's his money and much of his time and effort..

doktorb berske
Youth Team Regular

Jun 8, 2018, 6:00 PM

Team(s): Burscough

Post #20 of 113 (15618 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yep, 27 minutes was all it took for yet another football discussion to be hijacked by the pyramidistas! Laugh Sod the demise of a football club, there just aren't enough threads to speculate about reprieves, lateral movements etc...

To be fair, there is little left to discuss about Shaw Lane. We know their story, we know the Chairman, we know the relationship with Barnsley.

Their demise has consequences for the league and it's worth asking questions about the administrative consequences.

I count as a groundhop whatever I feel appropriate.

Reserves? Yes, why not?
Friendlies? No problem.
Bracketed ticks? Come on in, I say.

"I tried to organise freedom,
How Scandinavian of me!"

swjoduk
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 8, 2018, 6:00 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town, Exeter City, Swindon Town, Westcountry football as a whole

Post #21 of 113 (15614 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Shaw Lane call it a day! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What about Kings Lynn?

buckielugger
Youth Team Regular

Jun 8, 2018, 6:06 PM

Team(s):

Post #22 of 113 (15568 views)
Shortcut

I recall them getting thrown out of FA Trophy (quite rightly) for fielding a suspended player and they tried all sorts to get round it.

And yes obviously a lot would be made if a major club like Tranmere folded and very little about the likes of Shaw Lane or small clubs like Stortford. That's the nature of things.

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 8, 2018, 6:12 PM

Team(s):

Post #23 of 113 (15517 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

On point #2, would the vacant spot at Step 3 not be taken by a reprieve, which in this case might be Tooting?

Lillywhite
Youth Team Star

Jun 8, 2018, 6:13 PM

Team(s): AFC Rushden & Diamonds, Tottenham Hotspur

Post #24 of 113 (15509 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Shaw Lane call it a day! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
You can throw a stamp over which is further north, Hednesford or Coalville. Hednesford has better access to the North western clubs being next to the M6 and Coalville to the North Eastern via the M1. It's anyones guess I suppose.

I wouldn’t rule out King’s Lynn Town being placed North.

paulh66

Jun 8, 2018, 6:19 PM

Post #25 of 113 (15431 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buckielugger] Shaw Lane call it a day! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And yes obviously a lot would be made if a major club like Tranmere folded and very little about the likes of Shaw Lane or small clubs like Stortford. That's the nature of things.

Well yes, that's why we have a non-league forum for such things.
But shame on ladderman for injecting such a scurrilous notion into proceedings....Wink

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jun 8, 2018, 6:27 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3