Home: All Other Football Interests: Obituaries and Remembrances:
Dave Reed (Groundhopper)

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

May 31, 2018, 10:24 AM

Post #1 of 14 (4558 views)
Shortcut
Dave Reed (Groundhopper) Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dave Reed, known by many as "Reed of Sidcup" died this morning in Darent Valley Hospital. He was 73 and had been in ill health for some time.
Dave had been a season ticket holder at Charlton Athletic before he saw the light and started groundhopping. He was involved twenty or so years ago with Charlton Rangers FC and contributed to the book about the club.
He was a member of Kent County Cricket Club for many years until deciding that club cricket was more enjoyable.
Dave had been married but for the past thirty years had enjoyed his own company while living in North Cray, Kent.
His caustic wit was appreciated by many of the 'hopping fraternity. He was a good mate and I. for one, will miss his company.

Dave 56
Reserve Team Star

May 31, 2018, 12:05 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #2 of 14 (4496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Dave Reed (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saddened to read this. Chatted to Dave at an ISFA Cup match last September near Grove Park. He seemed to be on the road to recovery then.

R.I.P. Dave

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

May 31, 2018, 2:31 PM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #3 of 14 (4388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Dave Reed (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Very saddened by the news, Timmy Tabby (Graham) has been keeping me (others) up to date with his health these last two weeks.
When I seriously got into NL hopping mid/late 80s through the 90s I often used to bump into Dave and Adrian, they seemed joined at the hip at the time! Both were friendly fellas who I enjoyed chatting with. Although it's only over more recent years, the last 5/10 years or so that I had got know Dave better having bumped into him at hops and occasionally unexpectedly at some obscure venue.
Even though we crossed the South London Divide! He was someone that I liked very much, and I shall miss him at our silly NL gatherings.
A sad day. Condolences to his family.

2018-19 - 50 games (Highworth-Swi Marine) 160 goals, average gpg 3.20, 19 new grounds, last new, Man City Academy Stadium.
2017-18 - 122 games (N Cyprus/Karp), 392 goals, av gpg 3.21, 48 new grounds.
New Grounds in 2018 - 42. 2017 -44. Grounds in Total - 1191.
RL Grounds - 33 (Last - Macron Stadium, Challenge Cup SFs (5/8/18), Speedway Tracks 50.

(This post was edited by WestBerksPalace on May 31, 2018, 2:36 PM)

AndyS
Junior Team Star

May 31, 2018, 2:57 PM

Team(s): Hythe Town

Post #4 of 14 (4366 views)
Shortcut
Dave Reed (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It is with great sadness that I read of the news of Dave's death. He was a real character who I will miss on the regular occasions we attended the same games. His sense of humour and caustic (amusing) comments made him a pleasure to spend time with. Great sympathy to his family --- Rest in peace Dave !!!!

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

May 31, 2018, 3:13 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #5 of 14 (4353 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Dave Reed (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

R I P Dave.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 116 / 95 / 21(You know my rules) @ 15 /11 /2018.(Only 8 x 0-0's)
Benelux. Bel = 0-0-0- ( 0-0-0 ) - ( 5-0-0-1 ) Lux = 0-0. Neth = 0-0-0 - ( 2 - 1 ).
Scotland Senior 0-0-0-0-(0-0)-EastofS -1 NofS 0 - SouthofS -2 - Junior (0-0-0)-(0-0-1-0)-(0-0)-(0).
N I = 0-0-5. ROI =0-0-( Leinster-2 , Munster-2, Ulster -0.) Wales =0- (0-0).
Scan Den=1-1, Faroes=8, Fin=0-2, Ice=0-3, Nor=0-9, Swe=0-1. Baltics Est= 0, Lat= 2, Lith=1.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

May 31, 2018, 8:00 PM

Post #6 of 14 (4164 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Dave Reed (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
R I P Dave.

See you anon Dave, which I should elaborate was Mr Reed's regular departure saying. Will be sorely missed by all who knew him and already next season is looking a little emptier without a volley of pithy Reedism's sent in the way of a miscuing player, a failing referee or teams who cannot be arsed to get out of a dressing room for a 19.45 start.

First met Dave 4th May 1991 at Milton United 3 v 1 Fairford Town and soon he became a valued friend. Many trips over the years, Winsford, Witton Albion, Market Drayton and numerous others and he was a regular at various midweek venues in and around the South East and his company was enjoyed at many hundreds of games over the years.

It was not just our wonderful game in which we shared an interest as Dave was a life member of CAMRA and I recall many a trip during the 90's and noughties to 'tick' JDW branches, I must admit I found his new found love of Eddie Stobart spotting a little bewildering, but we all of us have our idiosyncrasies and one aspect of Dave that I found endearing was that he could be as stubborn as that mule.

Then he found a new drinking related hobby, micropubs and I am pretty certain that he ticked every one in Kent and you could tell a real youthful enthusiasm as witnessed as completely unplanned nearly bumped into each other along Worthing High Street with him saying almost excitedly, 'which of the micropubs are we going to visit first'.

And if you could not contact him, then you could simply listen to his answering machine message which said 'Sorry, but I cannot take your call, I am either at football, down the pub or I cannot be bothered to take your call' said in a nonchalant deadpan tone. I wish I had a recording of this, the first time I heard this induced much mirth.

Last saw him just over 4 weeks ago for the Greenwich v Corinthian Casual Play Off and I commented at the time that was the best I had seen him since his 2017 health difficulties. As we know, life can be wickedly cruel and the last acerbic witticisms have now been uttered.

Let us hope that on the other side there are, micropubs dispensing ales from Kentish Microbreweries, club cricket with a gentle breeze running through Kentish air and most importantly a number of non-league grounds to visit and enjoy.

See you anon Dave. I will be raising a glass in your memory later.

Geoff
Reserve Team Star

May 31, 2018, 10:43 PM

Post #7 of 14 (4051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Dave Reed (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Very, very sad. I spent many happy hours with Dave sat in the passenger set of my car as we journeyed along the countryís motorways on our way to and from some obscure football ground. His varied & witty conversation made the journeys shorter, this, and his invariable ability to sniff out the best local hostelry, always made the day hugely enjoyable, even when the game was rubbish.
Rest in Peace Dave, Iíll miss you.

Dilligaf
Junior Team Regular

Jun 1, 2018, 12:58 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 14 (3805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geoff] Dave Reed (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Extremely saddened by the news of Dave's death.I first met Dave in the mid nineties whilst on the terraces of Stonebridge Road where i used to regularly attend.It was probably Dave more than anyone who inspired me to travel far and wide for my fix of watching football.His knowledge of the non league game was truly incredible.
I certainly became familiar with his brilliant witticisms on life in general over the course of many years.

Regretfully due to my personal circumstances i didn't see too much of him in recent times. All I can say is thank you Dave for making going to football so much more enjoyable for being in your company.

Anon. R I P Dave

Chelsea Spud
Youth Team Regular

Jun 1, 2018, 7:08 PM

Team(s): Chelsea

Post #9 of 14 (3589 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dilligaf] Dave Reed (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Knew Dave for 15+ years and always enjoyed his banter with the other three when we were the dream team pre 2012. Spoke to him about 6 weeks ago and he seemed in good spirits. Despite the self acclaimed, Dave Reed was Kents real No 1

SuperKev!
First Team Star

Jun 1, 2018, 9:46 PM

Post #10 of 14 (3489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chelsea Spud] Dave Reed (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Very sad to hear this news. Dave was always a welcome sight and a friendly face at many a match and on many a hop. Last saw him very briefly at Haringey Boroughís play off final. Itís a strange feeling to think Iím not going to bump into him at any more matches. Rest in peace, mate.

ksportsbarry
Ballboy/girl

Jun 4, 2018, 5:01 AM

Post #11 of 14 (2936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Dave Reed (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

would just like to echo everything that has been said about Dave in the above threads, a true gentleman who will be much missed on the groundhopping circuit. i met dave on so many occasions and spent many happy hours talking about his trips around the country and as graham has mention his love of micro-pubs having visited my local one before spending the afternoon watching us play at cobdown last season. RIP Dave

Ramsgate
First Team Star

Jun 4, 2018, 8:28 PM

Post #12 of 14 (2683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geoff] Dave Reed (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Second part of the two some, who welcomed me into non-league football (the first part being Adrian).

Wouldn't be surprised if his service runs seven minutes late.

I think, Dave would smile or would he?

But I'm certain, another caustic comment would be due.

R-I-P.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2018, 9:28 PM

Post #13 of 14 (2362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ramsgate] Dave Reed (Groundhopper) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dave's funeral will be held on Monday 18 June at 15.30 at the Vinters Park Crematorium in Maidstone.

The family would be pleased to see as many as possible of Dave's football friends at the service and afterwards

ksportsbarry
Ballboy/girl

Jun 19, 2018, 6:11 AM

Post #14 of 14 (1673 views)
Shortcut

Daves funeral took place yesterday afternoon at vinters park, led by his sister and family a healthy gathering of Daves groundhopping friends listened to his sister give us an insight into Dave the person outside of football, this was followed by chris harte talking about Dave the hopper we all knew and loved. it showed how much Dave was respected by the numbers in attendance and it was very touching to see his cap sitting on his coffin.
He may no longer be with us but i for one will miss him as will all those who got to know Dave the groundhopper. RIP Dave gone but not forgotten.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3