Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non League Football Information: FA Competitions:
FA Finals' weekend.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 20, 2018, 8:54 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #1 of 5 (2210 views)
Shortcut
FA Finals' weekend. Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Finals' weekend, including Non-League Day, at Wembley turned out to be a little bit of an anti climax. Three games over two days saw 4 goals in total. Two of the games were won one nil with the goals being penalties. The Trophy game looked like making it a hat trick of one nils until a Bromley player turned one past his own keeper giving Brackley a 95th minute equaliser. No more goals saw this one decided from the spot too with Brackley winning it in sudden death.

So in summary,
Three games,
Four goals in total, two penalties, an own goal, and only one from open play. No team scored more than once.
One penalty shoot out.

Is there too much pressure to perform on a Wembley occasion? Is there too much at stake? Certainly doesn't give the neutral viewer much entertainment, whether on tv or there in person.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 20, 2018, 9:31 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #2 of 5 (2187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] FA Finals' weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not sure the likes of Chelsea and Man U can ever claim the pressure of a cup final is too much for them. Though I'd agree both were under some pressure to finally deliver silverware this season.

I only saw bits of the Vase and Trophy games so can't really comment, though the last 10-15 minutes of both matches grabbed my attention. For teams who'll probably only ever get to Wembley once then I suppose there is a fear of failure which can affect the overall spectacle, though it's hard to begrudge them their day out. On the other hand, I've never really bought into the idea that the level of entertainment is dictated by the number or type of goals scored anyway.

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

May 20, 2018, 9:39 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] FA Finals' weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It was a good day for the Hellenic League - one of theirs winning the Vase and a former member taking the Trophy.

jon b
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 21, 2018, 9:41 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #4 of 5 (2087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] FA Finals' weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Once upon a time Cup Final day was a magic day, irrespective of whichever teams were playing…….

After the media hype overkill I really didn't intend to watch the Royal Wedding on Saturday but thought I'd just view the bride's arrival at the chapel.

A few minutes viewing turned into watching the whole deal. Despite my Oliver Cromwellian sympathies, I was thrilled and entertained by the spectacle and delighted for the young couple involved.

Then came the chance of watching Man U and Chelsea.

I mowed the lawns and gardened instead.

tewey99
Junior Team Sub

May 22, 2018, 1:19 PM

Team(s): Mile Oak, Wolves, RC Lens, AO Kerkyra

Post #5 of 5 (1878 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] FA Finals' weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Personally I thought both the Vase and the Trophy were decent games, and both were far more watchable than the scorelines suggest. There were a series of good scoring opportunities in both. Can't comment on the Cup as I didn't see it.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3