Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION

First page Previous page 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 Next page Last page  View All

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

May 16, 2018, 1:26 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #1601 of 1605 (898 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
One final play off game confirmed, Anselmians of South Lancs Division 1 will host Aspatria from the North Lancs and Cumbria division this Saturday at 3pm for a place in North One West (level 6).

Probably do this if I can get confirmation a programme is being issued. Otherwise, it's cricket for me. Anselmians issued towards the end of last season, and up to Christmas this, before the editor warned production would cease if more fans didn't support his programme. Unfortunately, the guy doesn't seem capable of answering an email! You know anything, Andy?

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on May 16, 2018, 1:35 PM)

Seagull
First Team Star

May 16, 2018, 10:32 PM

Post #1602 of 1605 (811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Afraid not. The lack of a programme wouldn't stop me going if I fancied it so I rarely check these days.

Toying with this or the Ladies County SF between Lancashire and Yorkshire at Waterloo on Sunday. We went to the last group game at Southport last weekend as daughter's rugby coach was making her full debut for Lancs. First time I've watched that level of the ladies game and it was very watchable despite the easy win for the hosts, 55-0 v East Midlands. Attendance 140.

Lancs do a free informative glossy 8 pager for these games. No admission charged. Picked up a nice smart compact Southport prog from February as well, good to see them issuing again.

The previous week we went to Wigton to watch Cumbria v Durham in the men's competition. Basic 4 pager given away with fiver admission, but ran out 30 minutes before KO. Att around 200, result 5-64. Durham impressive, Cumbria rather less so.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 17, 2018, 9:57 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #1603 of 1605 (702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

According to the RFU site Yorkshire are the home team in the Ladies County SF and the tie is being played at West Park Leeds RFC (1530).

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on May 17, 2018, 9:58 PM)

onion_bag
Reserve Team Star

May 17, 2018, 11:55 PM

Post #1604 of 1605 (657 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Final - Yorkshire Vase
Northallerton 15 - 15 Hemsworth (Northallerton win on golden point)
Atten: 300+

The Vase final was played at Pontefract RUFC. A tidy set up , decent stand on one side , hard standing on the other sides. Family play area behind one set of posts and pleasant views over the countryside behind the other. Nice modern clubhouse with bar and kitchen facilities.

'North' started the final strongly and caught Hemsworth on the back foot and scored three tries inside 30 minutes , all uncoverted to make it 15-0. Just before HT 'Hem' fought back and instead of going for a try they took the penalty conversion which later on proved to be a prudent move. HT 15-3

Second half 'Hem' kept fighting back and scored a converted try to make the score 15-10. 'North' retaliated and forced 'Hem' back , but 'Hem' didnt buckle and fought back with a long period of attacking pressure themselves. Then with 4 minutes left 'Hem's pressure finally told as they went over to make it 15-15. Conversion attempt from a tight angle just scraped past the near post. But with a few moments left, both teams gave everything as both teams supporters roared them on in this ding-dong battle. It was a nail biting , tense, and a rip roaring excitment right up until the ref blew his whistle for full-time.The excitment continued as both teams searched for the sudden death 'golden point' to win the game. It was finally decided as 'North' broke free , played the ball out wide to go over for the try.

Both teams were well supported and both made plenty of noise which made for an excellent atmosphere to compliment a crackerjack of a game.

http://onion-bag.blogspot.co.uk//
http://rugbyleaguegrounds.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by onion_bag on May 18, 2018, 12:03 AM)

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

May 19, 2018, 7:01 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #1605 of 1605 (437 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onion_bag] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY UNION [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 19th May 2018
Anselmians 65 Aspatria 14 (HT 20-14)
South Lancs/Cheshire One & North Lancs/Cumbria Play-Off
Admission 3
Programme (w/a) 28 pages, entirely game specific
Attendance 400 (h/c)
Burgers 2.50, hot dogs 2, drinks from the clubhouse (didn't sample)

Well, what a strange game to bring up my 250th rugby union ground. Eleven minutes in, Aspatria led 14-0 through two converted tries and Anselmians hadn't managed any possession in the Cumbrians' half. The hosts got on the scoreboard by landing straightforward penalties in the 18th and 26th minutes then never looked back. Anselmians crossed in the 28th, 31st, 42nd, 46th, 61st, 73rd, 77th and 79th minutes. Their kicker rubbed salt in the wound with several excellent conversions. Aspatria went through a simply awful spell of being penalised repeatedly for infringing when the ball was on the floor (it cost them a sin-binning when the referee's patience ran out), and later the Black-Reds lost their way so badly they couldn't even win line outs off their own throw. On a gloriously sunny afternoon, the bulk of a bumper crowd lapped it up. Anselmians are now promoted to North One West for the 2018-19 season.

That campaign will not be played at Malone Field, which faces a major revamp. The northernmost - and narrowest - section of a triangular site has been sold to a housing developer. The existing clubhouse and first XV pitch will disappear beneath concrete (or, more precisely, 21 four-bedroom houses). A new clubhouse ('hub', as the plans describe it) will be constructed near the south end of the present first XV pitch. Also added will be pitches for the first and second XVs, two junior pitches, a training pitch and a 150-space car park. Pre-match, I had a picnic in lovely Torr Park (on the other side of Eastham Village Road to Malone Field) then went for a stroll round Eastham Village, a charming settlement of cottages (Eastham Hall aside) built from red sandstone. I spotted an Eastham Village Preservation Association flyer on a noticeboard near the attractive parish church. The association is clearly furious Wirral Council planners gave permission for the houses and car park, despite Eastham Village being both Green Belt and a designated Conservation Area. Do I detect NIMBYs (or maybe even BANANAs)?

While their facilities are transformed, Anselmians will play at the Vauxhall Sports Club in Ellesmere Port. I gather they will have use of a 3G training pitch. Good to tick Malone Field in its original state, which isn't, in all honesty, terribly impressive. The clubhouse, an ugly structure, is located behind the sticks at the north end. The pitch is railed everywhere but the north end though the ground lacks cover, hardstanding and floodlights. The wider portion of the site (apparently, Anselmians are the only rugby union club on the Wirral to own the land on which they play), to the south, contains two other pitches and space for training and warm-ups. Access is via Eastham Village Road, with separate pay points for pedestrians and drivers. Looking north, there are good views of planes climbing away from Liverpool John Lennon Airport, at Speke, on the Mersey's east bank.

Had a brief chat with this forum's AndrewG and Seagull, who both watched the action from the shade of mature trees in the southwest corner. The M53, M56, M6, M60, M62 and M1 were all very quiet on the return drive (owing to people watching the FA Cup Final, presumably), which meant I was home in just under two hours.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on May 19, 2018, 7:12 PM)

First page Previous page 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3