Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
UK's busiest and quietest railway stations

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 14, 2018, 11:56 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #276 of 299 (2937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Talk in the local rag...

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/...sks_falling_behind_/

...of the reopening of the old Cowley branch line by 2019, with services to new stations at Cowley, the Science Park and possibly the Kassam Stadium. There is presently a line running from the main line near Kennington, over the Thames, through Blackbird Leys and finishing the other side of the Cowley car plant, close to the Horspath sports ground. This is all that remains of the old Oxford-to-Thame-to-Princes Risborough line, closed to passenger services in 1963. All of the interested parties - Chiltern Railways, the City council, the County council and other - seem very keen to get this up and running within two years.

More news in the local chip-paper about plans for the reopening of the Cowley branch line...

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/...e_open_by_next_year/

...with ideas that it'll be open and running sometime next year.

However, I still see precious little talk of how this transport link will connect with the Kassam Stadium.

The proposed new station at Oxford Science Park would only be about 5-10 minutes walk from the stadium,

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 15, 2018, 3:37 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #277 of 299 (2898 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Talk in the local rag...

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/...sks_falling_behind_/

...of the reopening of the old Cowley branch line by 2019, with services to new stations at Cowley, the Science Park and possibly the Kassam Stadium. There is presently a line running from the main line near Kennington, over the Thames, through Blackbird Leys and finishing the other side of the Cowley car plant, close to the Horspath sports ground. This is all that remains of the old Oxford-to-Thame-to-Princes Risborough line, closed to passenger services in 1963. All of the interested parties - Chiltern Railways, the City council, the County council and other - seem very keen to get this up and running within two years.

More news in the local chip-paper about plans for the reopening of the Cowley branch line...

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/...e_open_by_next_year/

...with ideas that it'll be open and running sometime next year.

However, I still see precious little talk of how this transport link will connect with the Kassam Stadium.

The proposed new station at Oxford Science Park would only be about 5-10 minutes walk from the stadium,

You are right - the site is just a five-to-ten minute walk, so would make an ideal station to serve football fans travelling to and from the Kassam.

However, when I say that there seems precious little talk of how this new station will link with the football ground, I mean it the sense that I suspect it will be built around the needs of commuters and not football fans, because the demands upon the station and train services are going to be very different at 2.30pm on a Saturday afternoon then they will be at 9am on a weekday morning. I'm guessing that any station built there will resemble (both physically and in use) something like Coventry Arena station at the Ricoh Arena.

The transport links in Oxford at present (especially in the south and east of the city) are already at breaking point. The only two serious transport options for the Kassam on matchday are the buses which are forever snarled up on Cowley Road, or by car through the jams around the Heyford Hill roundabout. These traffic jams are even worse at the times of midweek evening kick-offs - I remember the Cobblers fixture a couple of seasons ago, when hundreds of fans were still stuck on buses and in cars trying to get to the ground even at half-time.

To make a proper impact in changing people's thinking of how they get to the Kassam on matchday, the train service will have to be a serious third option. That will mean a railway station building that can cope with anything up to 3000+ people in the hour before kick-off and in the half-hour immediately after final-whistle, as well as a frequency of train service to get them in and out. (Remember also that there is very little to do around the Kassam stadium to help encourage people to turn up early or leave late).

The problem is, a larger station with shelter, more space and longer platforms will cost more. All this is supposed to be in place sometime next year, and yet nobody even knows if Oxford United will still be playing there in eight years time. The lease comes up in 2026, the club have a terrible relationship with landlord Firoz, the rent is ridiculous, the fans don't like the stadium, the club has whispered about moving, and the fourth stand is no nearer being built than it was seventeen years ago. On top of that the site is rare prime residential building land in a city crying out for housing, and landowner Firoz is a very very greedy man. All the time there is such doubt in the air, the council and railway authorities are not going to be investing in the sort of station that is needed for matchdays. Hence my words in a previous post, that this new station will end up resembling that at Coventry Arena, with platforms and services that cannot properly cope with the demands of a football crowd.

Here is an example of a station I know well. Over all my years of watching Pompey at Fratton Park, I've tended to travel down by train and use Fratton station. Fratton station, which is about a ten minute walk or so from the ground, is an old Victorian station of fair size with three platforms of decent length, plenty of cover, decent-sized station buildings and footbridges, plus some quantity of surrounding space. Because the ground has an inner-city location, many fans will visit the many pubs before/after the match, helping to stagger arrival/departing times. Also, Fratton station has frequent services every five or ten minutes fanning out to most locations in Hampshire and Sussex, helping to clear the platforms faster. Some trains might be eight or twelve carriages long. And yet Fratton station still struggles to cope with the sheer volume of people using it on days that Pompey are at home. Same with Selhurst and Norwood Junction stations near Crystal Palace - decent-sized Victorian stations well connected for fans, but having to cope with very large crowds. Falmer station next to Brighton's near-rural located ground is smaller, and I dread to think how that copes.

It seems that the people getting most excited about this proposed rail line are commuters out in the wealthy areas of west Oxon - places like Witney and Faringdon, where the talk is of jumping off the bus at Oxford station and shooting in to work at the science and business parks on a little shuttle train. But from our (football fans) point of view, there is a lack of imagination and I think there is going to be very little to get excited about. I hope I'm wrong, but I expect that in a couple of years time, you, I and anyone else heading to the Kassam on a match day will be more than likely using the same transport that they are now.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Feb 15, 2018, 3:57 AM)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 7, 2018, 5:50 AM

Post #278 of 299 (2228 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Following a survey of 56,000 rail passengers, the country's favourite and least favourite railway stations have been named...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44023411

Favourite ten stations:

London King's Cross - 96% satisfaction

London St.Pancras - 95%

Birmingham New Street - 92%

Reading - 92%

London Marylebone - 91%

Liverpool Central - 91%

Beaconsfield - 91%

Sheffield - 91%

Manchester Piccadilly - 91%

Glasgow Central - 91%

...and the least-popular...

Cardiff Central - 75% satisfaction

Hull - 73%

Highbury & Islington - 72%

London Victoria - 72%

Wimbledon - 71%

Barking - 70%

Clapham Junction - 69%

Oxford - 67%

Gatwick Airport - 66%

and the least popular of all...

Glasgow Queens Street - just 58% satisfaction.

Oxford, the third least popular station in the country! Ha ha, I can believe that - it's flippin' awful, especially when compared to the beautiful and spacious new station building at Reading.

Not sure what the locals are so excited about in Beaconsfield? But I certainly agree with the choice of Sheffield! Tongue

(This post was edited by oxpete on May 7, 2018, 5:52 AM)

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 7, 2018, 10:05 AM

Post #279 of 299 (2189 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
...the beautiful and spacious new station building at Reading.

Spacious yes but...

Ropemaker

May 7, 2018, 12:25 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #280 of 299 (2151 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Following a survey of 56,000 rail passengers, the country's favourite and least favourite railway stations have been named...

Out of the 56 stations they asked about that is

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

AndyE
First Team Star

May 8, 2018, 12:46 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #281 of 299 (2006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Apparently what happened was that respondents could name any station they liked, and the 56 stations which appear in the final tabulation are those which got one hundred or more mentions either way.

Some smaller stations probably didn't get mentioned at all by respondents - I doubt that very many have a strong opinion either way about Sole Street or Achnashellach - and even some really quite busy stations didn't get enough mentions to be included in the tabulation.

bakis
Reserve Team Regular

May 8, 2018, 1:44 PM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers

Post #282 of 299 (1976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A curious survey but no doubt the methodology explained by AndyE is what has led to Beaconsfield being included in what otherwise seems to be largely about major stations.
Quite how the disaster that is Birmingham New Street comes so high on the list amazes me, perhaps the participants were shoppers rather than passengers. Network Rail's other recent huge investment at Reading has produced a far pleasanter and better arranged station.
I suspect that Queen Street has come bottom because of the recent works there, or perhaps because people have voted on the Low Level not the main station. In normal times it's an agreeable enough place. Hull is a surprising one to find near the bottom, surely one of the great northern train sheds.

Whiskey Coates
Reserve Team Star

May 8, 2018, 3:27 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #283 of 299 (1937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakis] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hull is a surprising one to find near the bottom, surely one of the great northern train sheds.

That's what I thought. Hull Paragon is certainly nothing spectacular, but not offensive either. Maybe the millions of visitors to the City of Culture expected something better?

greenwood
Youth Team Regular

May 8, 2018, 3:53 PM

Post #284 of 299 (1926 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Luton must surely be one of the worst stations in the UK for a town of its size. Despite being relatively modern (built in the 1970's?) the facilities are mainly in a narrow corridor that doubles as a footbridge from one side of the town to the other. At least the more recent Luton Airport Parkway station, with its vastly superior facilities, will have taken some passengers away from the central station.

PaulC

May 8, 2018, 6:29 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #285 of 299 (1872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tomorrow I shall be alighting at Drumfrochar.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

May 8, 2018, 7:35 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #286 of 299 (1848 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In the new timetable, the famous Denton Flyer Service is being enhanced!
It will leave Stalybridge at 0846 each Saturday, but now operates a return service, for the first time in years, leaving Stockport at 0945.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 10, 2018, 4:06 PM

Post #287 of 299 (1668 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
...the beautiful and spacious new station building at Reading.

Spacious yes but...

I have to say Iím quite a fan of these modern glass and metal buildings like the new Reading station, though I admit itís still not a stitch on what Brunel would have built himself!

Network Rail, who run Reading station, should still be praised for what theyíve achieved here, though. The station now has fifteen platforms which, along with the cross-over bridge built on the line to the west of the station, means that delays caused by congestion on the approach lines are much rarer than they previously were. There is also much more space inside the station, remembering that this is one of the busiest stations in the country outside of London. I also love the full-height glass windows on the large pedestrian footbridge that allow you to look down onto the track. On top of that, the area immediately outside the station is much more pleasant: the derelict office block, old bus station and tatty taxi rank are all gone, replaced by a spacious square (Iím guessing this was the work of the local authority?)

In comparison, Oxford station struggles on with just four platforms - only two of which are on through-lines, which is why (along with lack of line-capacity between Didcot and Oxford) there are so many delays for GWR services running through Oxford. (The new Chiltern services to Marylebone use one of the quieter bay platforms, and so usually manage to avoid any nonsense happening on the main line). The present buildings at Oxford station were built on the cheap in the late 1980s and can no longer cope with the sheer size in numbers of passengers it has to deal with today - there has been a huge increase in commuters travelling to London and Reading, as well as a whole load of new commuters travelling to/from High Wycombe, as well as the truly colossal volume of backpack-wearing tourists who have the unfathomable idea (at least to me) that Oxford and Bicester Village are nice places for a day out.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 10, 2018, 5:29 PM

Post #288 of 299 (1645 views)
Shortcut

Oxford station has always been a slum. Knowing the history, one could be forgiven for thinking the GWR inflicted such a miserable facility on the town as revenge for the difficulty it had in getting there at all, given the fierce opposition of the university in the 1840s (its first station was a terminus near Folly Bridge). However, its later disputes with the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton also contributed Ė this was the time of the gauge wars. The OWW had rather grander plans.

I can just remember travelling through Oxford by train before the wooden shacks were replaced in 1971 but BR merely replaced the buildings and didn't add the two extra through platforms that were and still are needed. Subsequent tack-ons in the 70s and 80s may have helped passengers outside but didn't address the real problems.

Reading was inadequate in the 1950s. Proposals for a flyover for the Newbury/Basingstoke route were put off more than once.

PaulC

May 11, 2018, 9:01 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #289 of 299 (1543 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Tomorrow I shall be alighting at Drumfrochar.

Wemyss Bay station, from where I departed for Drumfrochar is a fabulous Victorian station.

steveking
Reserve Team Regular

May 11, 2018, 10:19 PM

Team(s): Ware, Everton, Kingstonian, Leicester, Portsmouth

Post #290 of 299 (1522 views)
Shortcut

That's fantastic. My dad sailed from Wemyss on his way to North Africa in the war. He never mentioned the railway station, either he didn't get there by train or he had other things on his mind.

bakis
Reserve Team Regular

May 12, 2018, 1:56 PM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers

Post #291 of 299 (1450 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steveking] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A splendid station indeed, surely Britain's best branch line terminus? The covered way down to the boat adds another dimension.

greenwood
Youth Team Regular

May 13, 2018, 9:51 PM

Post #292 of 299 (1141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakis] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Did anyone notice that a film called 'Trainwreck' was shown on Freeview quite recently? But don't despair if you missed it - it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with trains. It is simply one of those banal and annoying Hollywood romcoms. The channel that screened it must have received a lot of complaints from irate male viewers, because when it was repeated a week or so later, pressing the info button on the remote control revealed that the title had been changed from 'Trainwreck' to the (unofficial) title of 'Amy Schumer's Trainwreck'.

(This post was edited by greenwood on May 13, 2018, 9:54 PM)

Isaac

May 14, 2018, 6:16 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #293 of 299 (1005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Luton must surely be one of the worst stations in the UK for a town of its size. Despite being relatively modern (built in the 1970's?) the facilities are mainly in a narrow corridor that doubles as a footbridge from one side of the town to the other. At least the more recent Luton Airport Parkway station, with its vastly superior facilities, will have taken some passengers away from the central station.

It could also be said that Luton must be one of the worst towns in the UK, but getting back to railway stations there can't be many worse than Elephant & Castle?

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 14, 2018, 11:39 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #294 of 299 (948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Highbury & Islington is a bit of a nightmare and I blame Wenger for that.
I'm glad he's gone.

Isaac

May 15, 2018, 2:04 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #295 of 299 (827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Highbury & Islington is a bit of a nightmare and I blame Wenger for that.
I'm glad he's gone.

Crazy

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Regular

May 16, 2018, 6:20 AM

Team(s): Birmingham City, Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #296 of 299 (712 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was passing through Kirton in Lindsey on Saturday (sadly not to catch one of the 6 Saturday-only trains that call there) and was intrigued to see a side road called 'Train Gate'.

It was nowhere near the station, nor on a new estate, so it seemed a particularly odd name for a street.

Anyone know why it is so called?

Whiskey Coates
Reserve Team Star

May 20, 2018, 7:57 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #297 of 299 (388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Was passing through Kirton in Lindsey on Saturday (sadly not to catch one of the 6 Saturday-only trains that call there) and was intrigued to see a side road called 'Train Gate'.

It was nowhere near the station, nor on a new estate, so it seemed a particularly odd name for a street.

Anyone know why it is so called?

I became intrigued by this. Presumed it was to do with a disused railway that ran through the village, but nothing apparent, so I took the liberty of posting the question on a Kirton in Lindsey forum I found. Turns out my comment's been deleted, maybe I posted in the wrong section?

In Reply To

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 20, 2018, 9:23 PM

Post #298 of 299 (355 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kirton-on-Lindsey's Train Gate is on an 1887 OS map of the village and given its sinuous course it is probably a lane that pre-dates the railway by many decades, if not centuries (the station opened in 1849). There is no indication of a railway connection (no tramway, long siding or quarry line) and even if there had been, I have a feeling that 'Train' would not have been used in the name; 'Station' or 'Railway' is far more likely. Have you ever seen a 'Train Street'? Perhaps the lane is named after a family;'Train' could be a corruption of 'Trayne'.

'Gate' has its roots in Norse ('gata' = 'street') and is common in the north and east of England.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Regular

May 21, 2018, 5:51 AM

Team(s): Birmingham City, Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #299 of 299 (301 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks Whiskey and Mr. T for the replies..thought the people of Kirton were pretty placid...to be deleted off a forum for such a straightforward enquiry might make me have to change my opinion !

Good point re "Station Street" as opposed to "Train Street". I like the idea of the name stemming from a local surname. Given the Norse derivation of the suffix "gate", the hypothetical Trayne family would I guess be a lot earlier than the 1880s.

Having lived in the north for most of the last 40 years, have become accustomed to "-gates" all over the place : the pride of place still probably going to York's Whipmawhopmagate.

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3