onion_bag
Reserve Team Star

May 15, 2018, 7:29 PM

Post #1 of 42 (9076 views)
Shortcut
The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season Can't Post or Reply Privately

It is that time of year again folks ...

8th Annual Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season
Was able to visit some cracking grounds last season some of which i have wanted to visit for a while.

The Catagories are ...
Best Ground Visited :
Favourite Ground Visited :
Most Friendly Club Welcome :
Least Friendly Club Welcome :
Best Match Of the Season
Worst Match of the Season
Best Food Served
Non League Person of the Season

My Full Results can be viewed HERE

What are your results ?

Stats:
Matches: 104
New Grounds: 32
Goals: 399
0-0 Matches : 3

http://onion-bag.blogspot.co.uk//
http://rugbyleaguegrounds.blogspot.co.uk/

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 16, 2018, 8:43 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #2 of 42 (8579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onion_bag] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Best Ground Visited : Home Park, Plymouth
Favourite Ground Visited : Midhurst & Easebourne
Most Friendly Club Welcome : Knutsford
Least Friendly Club Welcome : Not really fair to name and shame, might have been an off night
Best Match Of the Season: Fairford Town 4 Ascot United 4
Worst Match of the Season: Hartlepool United 0 Aldershot Town 2. Proof, if it were needed, that generally the higher up the pyramid you go, the worse the football gets. Utter dross.
Non League Person of the Season: Vicky England, secretary of 1874 Northwich. Quite how she juggled 69 games, including 22 in the last 40 days of the season, plus 20-odd postponements is beyond me. (*sorry SWP Phil, you get nominated every year!)

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

SWP-Phil
First Team Star

May 16, 2018, 9:26 AM

Team(s): Various

Post #3 of 42 (8494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No probs Andy (though I never actually "Win" !)

The Catagories are ...

Best Ground Visited : I guess for a new "tick" West Ham (v Crystal Palace) as wanted to go back to watch football having previously only visited as a Games Maker in 2012) but from a Non League angle best new tick was Newport IOW.

Favourite Ground Visited : As league Secretary I should not have favourites, so staying away from the SWP then Bishop Lydeard on the Western League Hop was a great Step 6 setup.

Most Friendly Club Welcome : Helston Athletic - went on Train & bus to present Groundsman with an award and the tea ladies even made me a pack supper for the journey home !

Least Friendly Club Welcome : They are all too scared of me I'm sure to be unfriendly!

Best Match Of the Season : Taunton Town 1 Tavistock 2 - FA Cup Replay - A classic FA Cup giant-killing. Honorable mention to for Plymouth Argyle 4 Wimbledon 3, as open an EFL game as I have seen in years.

Worst Match of the Season : Honiton Town 0 Ilfracombe Town 1 in the SWP East on the Hop, played on Exwicks artificial in the pouring rain.

Best Food Served : Cullompton Rangers - Half time nosh is superb.

Non League Person of the Season : Ray Lewis - Chairman of the FALC - Does and will get a lot of stick on these forums, but he puts the miles in and shows his face, doesn't hide, don't always agree with him but he is there to be shot at !

Follow the SW Peninsula League on Twitter: @swpleague

For all the News on the SW Peninsula League go to : www.swpleague.co.uk

Karen Browne
Reserve Team Star

May 16, 2018, 11:01 AM

Team(s): Welwyn Garden City

Post #4 of 42 (8362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onion_bag] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best Ground Visited : St Neots Town FC
Favourite Ground Visited : Torpoint Athletic
Most Friendly Club Welcome : Biggleswade FC
Least Friendly Club Welcome : Rather not name and shame
Best Match Of the Season : Callington v Saltash United
Worst Match of the Season : Cockfosters v St Margaretsbury
Best Food Served : Biggleswade United
Non League Person of the Season : Vicky England

Karen Browne
Spartan South Midlands League
Fixtures Officer

Dudley_BTFC
Youth Team Sub

May 16, 2018, 11:48 AM

Team(s): Manchester United, Bracknell Town

Post #5 of 42 (8265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karen Browne] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best Ground Visited : Windsor FC - best grass pitch in the Hellenic, local brewery real ale on draft and a real ground with character. A proper non league ground.

Favourite Ground Visited : Fairford Town - small but very well run Hellenic club and always a friendly welcome. Great diner too.

Most Friendly Club Welcome : Binfield - a semi-regular visitor and I'm always greeted very well.

Least Friendly Club Welcome : None

Best Match Of the Season : Coleshill Town 2-4 Bracknell Town - FA Vase L16 match that we should have won comfortably in ninety minutes but needed extra time to win.

Worst Match of the Season : Bracknell Town 0-3 Marske United - FA Vase quarter final where we totally underperformed.

Best Food Served : Fairford Town - Spike's Diner is great, such a comprehensive menu.

Non League Person of the Season : Neil Graham - Chairman of FC Bracknell and also provides photos for my site (FootballinBracknell) plus local press and NLP. Always rushing from game to game ad organising events.

Digdagdog
First Team Sub

May 16, 2018, 11:49 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #6 of 42 (8263 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Best Ground Visited : Molyneux, Wolverhampton. Best non-League was Twerton Park, Bath
Favourite Ground Visited : Homers Heath, Buckland Athletic
Most Friendly Club Welcome : Fairford Town
Least Friendly Club Welcome : None, really - however never really welcomed at Bradford Town when wearing Yellow & Black and it gets worse each year
Best Match Of the Season: Melkham Town v Street (WL) 3-3
Worst Match of the Season: Taff's Well v Penybont - just awful hoof all night with not one goal chance
Best Food Served: Don't tend to eat at football, but when I have, the "proper" burgers served at Ashford Town (Middx) were delicious
Non League Person of the Season: Selfishly I'm going for our Chairman Darren Perrin. He has really enthused a whole town about their club. 3-fold increase in crowds, advertising hoardings everywhere, new electronic scoreboard. He's out every day knocking on doors and bringing sponsorship in and raising the club's profile

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19 Games: 81 Goals: 323 GPG: 3.99 New Grounds: 48

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on May 16, 2018, 11:55 AM)

Herb Alpert
First Team Sub

May 16, 2018, 12:06 PM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, whoever is playing w*** h**

Post #7 of 42 (8232 views)
Shortcut
The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best Ground Visited : Wembley (for a Tottenham game). Non League: Workington.
Great Yarmouth Town & Workington.
Most Friendly Club Welcome : Workington. Special mentions for Sunderland Ryhope Community Association, Kirkley & Pakefield and Brandon United.
Least Friendly Club Welcome : No entries in this category. My visit to Walton & Hersham was not the most friendly, but the people involved with the club were nice.
Best Match Of the Season : Not a great season in this category with Herongate Athletic 5 Toby 3 edging out Wisbech St Mary 3 v Woodbridge Town 7. No other game worthy of mention.
Worst Match of the Season : In a poor season Gateshead 0 Halifax 0 was by far the worst. Probably the worst game I watched for many seasons.
Best Food Served : No standout grub this season. I shall not name the club where I had to throw away a hot dog after one bite.
Non League Person of the Season : My usual shout out to all the volunteers at all the clubs and leagues that keep the non league game going. Also the excellent posters on here that populate the Cup and Pre Season Friendly section of the forum that I find very useful. This season the Non-League Projections information and debate has also been very enlightening. Thank You all.

miswell
Reserve Team Star

May 16, 2018, 12:24 PM

Team(s): Aylesbury Utd, Tring Athletic, Watford

Post #8 of 42 (8187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Herb Alpert] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best Ground Visited : Altrincham. Wanted to go there for a while. Great amount of terracing and a decent atmosphere. A close 2nd for Leyton Orient for the excellent supporters bar.
Favourite Ground Visited : Always enjoy Brighton & Hove Albion
Most Friendly Club Welcome : Hartley Wintney would have got my vote if it wasn't for the snide comments from some sore losers after the game. Tilbury was probably the most welcoming.
Least Friendly Club Welcome : EDIT: just remembered being told to f off by yoof at Leighton Town for having the cheek to just be there. I can see why stingray doesn't like 'em.
Best Match Of the Season : Hartley Wintney 3 Aylesbury Utd 4. Not just for the number of goals but for two sides playing excellent football, working hard for 90 mins and no aggro during the match. One of the best I've been to in years.
Worst Match of the Season : Corinthain Casuals v Walton Casuals, play off final. Awful 0-0 AET compounded by a punch up on the terraces
Best Food Served : Pies at Brighton are good. I don't generally eat at football grounds.
Non League Person of the Season : anyone that gives up their time for free. No non-league football without them.

(This post was edited by miswell on May 16, 2018, 4:56 PM)

Steelback
First Team Star

May 16, 2018, 12:49 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #9 of 42 (7990 views)
Shortcut

Best Ground Visited : Plenty in the EFL but non league probably Melksham’s new ground, excellent new build.
Favourite Ground Visited : Brechin City - proper old school football ground that you only seem to get in Scotland these days or Kendal Town just for its ramshackleness!!
Most Friendly Club Welcome : Wantage Town & Broadwell Amateurs
Least Friendly Club Welcome : Stonehouse Town I shan’t elaborate but I wouldn’t go back even if lived next door.
Best Match Of the Season : Melksham Town 3 Street 3 wish the Western League was always this good, these days it’s becoming the Bristol & District League with pointless teams in it (Bristol Telephones anyone??)
Worst Match of the Season : Without a shadow of a doubt CB Hounslow 1 Sutton Common Rovers 0 just awful awful awful
Best Food Served : Burgers at Brockenhurst, shame about the conduct of the players and management which left a lot to be desired.
Non League Person of the Season : The chap at Yateley United who is still there doing the programme & various others tasks 19 years after I first met him at the Yateley Green hop game in Aug 99.

'Little' Northamptonshire Steelbacks 2013 & 2016 T20 CHAMPIONS

PartizanBristle
Youth Team Regular

May 16, 2018, 1:39 PM

Team(s): Bristol Rovers, Bristol Manor Farm, Clapton CFC

Post #10 of 42 (7711 views)
Shortcut

26 new grounds ticked this season. Will be more if the Conifa World Cup is to be counted as this season still but so far:

Best Ground and Favourite Ground has to be Craven Cottage. A real piece of living Leitchian history in a lovely location.

Most Friendly Club Welcome: Can't fault the lads and lasses at Bohemians 1905. No one in their ultras section seemed to care that I was drunkenly mumbling along to their chants without knowing the words. Likewise the old man who spoke to me at the pub beforehand for 15 minutes didn't seem to care that I didn't speak Czech.

Least Friendly Club Welcome: I don't really like giving accolades like this but Bristol Telephones can take this one for the gaggle of youths screaming at the ref all game when I went and the fact that their fans left the Welton Rovers twitter guy with a bloody nose at their match.

Best Match Of the Season: Cadbury Heath vs. Bridport in the FA Cup Second Qualifying Round was a rollicking good laugh. 3-2 in extra time to the away team.

Worst Match of the Season: Radstock Town 1 - Oldland Abbotonians 0 on the Western League Ground hop. A true turd of a match with the only goal being an (admittedly impressive) own goal for the Abbots.

Best Food Served: I can't look past the slap up Indian meal I got at Sporting Khalsa.

Non-League Person of the Season: I'm gonna give it to the lady who came in on her *0th birthday to work the bar at Radstock just so us thirsty groundhoppers could have an irresponsibly early pint. Absolute stalwart.

#83, 20/92

Club photographer for Bristol Manor Farm. Check out my shots here.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 16, 2018, 1:46 PM

Post #11 of 42 (7689 views)
Shortcut

Best Ground Visited :
FC Metz - old school at its best (non-league - Walton Casuals, above average new build)
FC Metz (non-league - Rutherglen Glencairn - newish ground but in the old style)
Abbey Hulton Utd
Scarborough Ath - obnoxious stewards with delusions of grandeur.
Best Match Of the Season :
Probably Rossvale 4 Wishaw 3 - it certainly compensated for the awful ground.
Worst Match of the Season:
Aberdeen Uni v Glentanar - lack of skill I can deal with, but when coupled with almost zero entertaining moments - awful
Best Food Served :
Rarely eat at football, but the oatcakes at Abbey Hulton were excellent
Non League Person of the Season:
All those who keep the club twitter etc up to date with inspection/postponement news during times of inclement weather,

DesselSportFan
Reserve Team Sub

May 16, 2018, 2:18 PM

Team(s): Appledore, Oxford U and Dessel Sport

Post #12 of 42 (7641 views)
Shortcut
The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best Ground Visited :
Don't get to many of the 'bigger' grounds but I like Barnstaple Tn, feels like a proper old ground.
Morwenstow - lovely setting in the middle of nowhere
Honiton Tn and Witheridge, both a credit to their league.
Holsworthy - for some reason everyone seemed very grumpy on my visit ! .
Probably Winkleigh v North Tawton, real 100 mile an hour local derby, 3-3
Probably Bideford v Bodmin (1-0) in the FA Cup, maybe my expectations were too high but it never got going.
Best Food Served :
Don't generally eat food at games but the pasties at Bovey Tracey are top drawer.
The weather down here has been so crap so my award goes to the hard working ground staff

Karb
First Team Sub

May 16, 2018, 2:45 PM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #13 of 42 (7598 views)
Shortcut

Best Ground Visited :
Kidderminster Harriers
Buxton
Longlevens
Nothing very bad, but Coventry Copsewood made me feel like I was a nuisance because I fumbled around looking for the right change to pay my admission money, so that’s enough to give them my vote.
Hinckley AFC 4-4 RC Warwick. The visitors led 2-0, then went 4-2 down before battling back to 4-4
Irchester United 1-0 Rushden & Higham United. Dull and freezing cold
Best Food Served :
I rarely eat at grounds, but Kidderminster Harriers will take some beating
Everyone who gives up their time to allow me to get my football fix.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

bd
Youth Team Sub

May 16, 2018, 3:36 PM

Team(s): Swindon Supermarine and Reading

Post #14 of 42 (7464 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best Ground Visited: Eastern Way, Melksham
Favourite Ground Visited: Larkhall Athletic, more for the elevated view than anything, provides a whole different aspect from a lot of teams in our league recently.
Most Friendly Club Welcome: Taunton Town. The Committee and Directors there are wonderful people and the boardroom hosts are so, so nice.
Least Friendly Club Welcome: I'm not afraid to name-and-shame, so this goes to Salisbury FC, rotten from the top down.
Best Match Of the Season: Evesham 3-3 Swindon Supermarine. The day after we sacked our long term manager. We fought back from 2-1 and 3-2 down to draw in horrendous weather conditions that really solidified what we then saw from the squad for almost the remainder of the season.
Worst Match of the Season: Highworth 1-0 Bracknell. For a top of the table match, this had all the excitement of watching paint dry.
Best Food Served: Bit of a difficult one this as I often now eat in boardrooms, but from the grub I had from the usual tea bar outlets, AFC Totton and "The Roly-Poly Football Goalie" catering will take some beating.
Non League Person of the Season: Lee Spalding. Took over a Supermarine team that at the time despite being on the fringe of the playoffs were not in a good place, a couple of quality signings and installing a self belief and hard to beat attitude in the players, went 11 matches unbeaten to win the playoffs and promotion to the Southern Premier or the Southern South or whatever it may end up being called!!

Jevonswinscoe
Junior Team Star

May 16, 2018, 4:07 PM

Team(s): Middleborough, Nottingham GMB Panthers

Post #15 of 42 (7408 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bd] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Catagories are ...
Best Ground Visited :
Basford United – They have made excellent improvements with the instillation of the 3G pitch that is currently being used by the community when not being used by Basford’s teams. To see that Notts County also use the facility for training also shows how far they have come and this season they hosted a number of County Cup Finals.

Very friendly staff here who are always willing to have a laugh and joke with you when you visit and who are always on hand if you have any problems.
Happy to see them gain promotion this season to the higher leagues.
Sandiacre Town – NSL – Very friendly place with a spacious clubhouse that has live games on. The management team at Sandiacre are second to none and always stop and chat whenever you see them and are completely honest when it comes to football.

Wollaton FC – Always a very friendly and smiley face on their Secretary and Club Chairman’s face who is very well respected around the footballing circle. He cannot do enough for his match officials and always makes sure you are looked after.

Only one team have not given me a warm welcome this season but I cannot say which team this is.

Best Match Of the Season
Wollaton Reserves V Selston Reserves – This game was played when the second bout of snow hit during the season, With the game kicked off the snow started to fall with the lines to the pitch not being visible at half time.

With players asking if it was to be called off I informed them that if the lines were swept then the game would finish to stop the backlog of fixtures of which made everyone happy with a 2-2 draw played out between two good footballing sides.

Worst Match of the Season
Not naming teams but a 9-2 score line made this game the worst match I had officiated. Not much else to say because it could land me in trouble.

Best Food Served
Basford United – Spicy Chicken Pasta – Back in Pre-Season I did a Basford United V Brighouse game as an Assistant and the food after the game was very well received by both teams.

Non League Person of the Season
All of the Secretaries and Grounds man who have had to put up with the terrible winter we have had. If I had to name someone it would be Scott Carlton at Radcliffe Olympic FC who is the grounds man at the club along with a number of other roles.

Season Stats
Games Refereed – 62
Home Goals – 146 (TBC)
Away Goals – 143 (TBC)
Total Goals – 289 (TBC)
Goals Per Game – 4.66 (TBC)

*TBC Due to the fact I have a double headed fixture on Sunday to officiate*

Nottinghamshire FA Referee
ISBHF Referee

HertsHopper
Junior Team Star

May 16, 2018, 4:44 PM

Team(s): Wherever I am

Post #16 of 42 (7350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jevonswinscoe] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

29 new non-league grounds and 2 league grounds for me of which..
Best/Favourite ground - Folkestone Invicta
(runners up - Rugby, Lewes, Worthing)

Friendly/least friendly - No horrible experiences.

Best match - Kings Langley 3 - Hereford 3 (opening day)
Runners-up - Colney Heath 3 Burgess Hill 3 FA cup
Haverhill Borough 3 - Haverhill Rovers 2
Bognor Regis 1 - Leyton Orient 2 (FA Trophy)

Worst quality Match - Royston Town 2 - St Neots Town 1
Runner up - St Neots 1 - Hitchin 1
Northampton Town 0 - Bradford City 1 reminded me how over priced and bland the football league can be.

Best food - one tray of fries is much like another tray of fries, however the chips w/ gravy at Kidsgrove were good.

(This post was edited by HertsHopper on May 16, 2018, 4:51 PM)

miswell
Reserve Team Star

May 16, 2018, 4:58 PM

Team(s): Aylesbury Utd, Tring Athletic, Watford

Post #17 of 42 (7305 views)
Shortcut
Re: [miswell] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Best Ground Visited : Altrincham. Wanted to go there for a while. Great amount of terracing and a decent atmosphere. A close 2nd for Leyton Orient for the excellent supporters bar.
Favourite Ground Visited : Always enjoy Brighton & Hove Albion
Most Friendly Club Welcome : Hartley Wintney would have got my vote if it wasn't for the snide comments from some sore losers after the game. Tilbury was probably the most welcoming.
Least Friendly Club Welcome : none in particular
Best Match Of the Season : Hartley Wintney 3 Aylesbury Utd 4. Not just for the number of goals but for two sides playing excellent football, working hard for 90 mins and no aggro during the match. One of the best I've been to in years.
Worst Match of the Season : Corinthain Casuals v Walton Casuals, play off final. Awful 0-0 AET compounded by a punch up on the terraces
Best Food Served : Pies at Brighton are good. I don't generally eat at football grounds.
Non League Person of the Season : anyone that gives up their time for free. No non-league football without them.

EDIT: just remembered being told to f off by yoof at Leighton Town for having the cheek to just be there watching Tring. I can see why stingray doesn't like 'em.

onion_bag
Reserve Team Star

May 16, 2018, 9:00 PM

Post #18 of 42 (6803 views)
Shortcut
Re: [miswell] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks guys , some fantastic responses so far ...
The good thing about this discussion is that it can give us all some new ideas for where to go (or not!) next seasonSmile

http://onion-bag.blogspot.co.uk//
http://rugbyleaguegrounds.blogspot.co.uk/

SpiderBee
First Team Sub

May 16, 2018, 10:06 PM

Team(s): Colliers Wood United & Queen's Park (Glasgow)

Post #19 of 42 (6702 views)
Shortcut

Rather limited as nearly all with one club but here goes.

Best Ground Visited – Godalming Town
Favourite Ground Visited – Worcester Park
Most Friendly Club Welcome – Farnham Town
Least Friendly Club Welcome – Abbey Rangers
Best Match Of the Season – Tooting Bec 2-1 Sporting Hackney
Worst Match of the Season – Colliers Wood United 0-2 K Sports
Best Food Served – None – I don't trust food at football grounds.
Non League Person of the Season – Tony Hurrell at Colliers Wood United FC

The 2017/18 Colliers Wood United FC Website

wibbandune.simplesite.com/

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

May 16, 2018, 10:19 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #20 of 42 (6676 views)
Shortcut

Just 25 football matches for me this season. From that tiny sample...

Best Ground Visited: It'll have to be Harrogate Town's revamped Wetherby Road (for a 4-1 win over Stockport County). They'll never make a silk purse from that sow's ear, mind
Favourite Ground Visited:
Bideford Town (loved the traditional floodlight pylons)
Most Friendly Club Welcome: Kiveton Park (their enthusiastic chairman was very happy to chat to all-comers)
Least Friendly Club Welcome: Guiseley (some of their fans are unbearably one-eyed - such a shame the Lions went down)
Best Match of the Season: Blyth AFC 3-3 Tow Law Town (Northern League, Division Two). Considering the game was played in a down-the-pitch gale, it provided tremendous entertainment
Worst Match of the Season: Ivybridge Town v Plymouth Parkway (the floodlights packed up, which meant the game was abandoned at half-time)
Best Food Served: I never eat 'football food'
Non League Person of the Season: Anyone still editing a 'hard copy' match programme

For sporting (and other) images, visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/venue totals: Football 898; Rugby Union 260; Rugby League 213; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on May 16, 2018, 10:22 PM)

Spennyfan_chris
Reserve Team Star

May 16, 2018, 10:36 PM

Team(s): Spennymoor Town FC & Tokyo Verdy

Post #21 of 42 (6644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best Ground Visited : Stockport County - What a set up they have!
Favourite Ground Visited : Salford City - what a transformation from what it was before
Most Friendly Club Welcome : East Thurrock United
Least Friendly Club Welcome : I dont think i've had one
Best Match Of the Season : There's been a few but seeing Spennymoor beating Stockport 1-0 first game of the season was the best match!
Worst Match of the Season : Losing 4-0 away to Leamington
Best Food Served : Don't Eat Food At Games as i dont have time, only get a drink at half time if i can
Non League Person of the Season : Jason Ainsley - first season in the National League North for the Spennymoor manager and finishing 8th is great

Football Love - Spennymoor Town FC (National League North) & Tokyo Verdy (JLeague Division 2)

Spennymoor Volunteer & Camera-Man

Ostrich
First Team Sub

May 16, 2018, 10:49 PM

Post #22 of 42 (6626 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Spennyfan_chris] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best Ground Visited : For sheer ambiance, has to be Witchampton down in deepest Dorset
Favourite Ground Visited : Woking, visited twice. Easy to get to, friendly bunch, impressive stand - just a shame about the football ….
Most Friendly Club Welcome : Trowbridge Town - very friendly atmosphere and good-natured banter from the locals.
Least Friendly Club Welcome : The vast majority of clubs I've visited have been fine. No particularly bad experiences spring to mind.
Best Match Of the Season: Hamworthy United 5 Team Solent 4 - a real rollercoaster of a game.
Worst Match of the Season: Frome Town 1 Farnborough 1 was a bit of a horror …..
Best Food Served: I'm tending to find in-house catering largely indifferent or overpriced (occassionally both) but my accolade this season goes to Radstock Town - the hatch wasn't open, but at half-time, the ladies in the clubroom laid on cups of tea and a large array of scrumptious cakes and biscuits, purely for a donation.
Non League Person of the Season: I agree with Feversham Lens, programme compilers everywhere!

Atavistic
Reserve Team Sub

May 17, 2018, 12:23 AM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #23 of 42 (6491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best Ground Visited: The Emirates Stadium, Arsenal (only Football League ground visited all season, and one of just two in the top five tiers, so not much of a contest really).

Favourite Ground Visited: Grigg Lane, Brockenhurst (a fantastic little ground in the middle of the New Forest, absolutely love that stand and everything else).

Most Friendly Club Welcome: Raynes Park Vale (both at their ground and when I saw them away at Cove back in October, some wonderfully friendly and funny people involved in that club) (honourable mentions to Brockenhurst and Irchester United as well).

Least Friendly Club Welcome: Not had any bad experiences this season, all clubs have been very welcoming (yes, even Arsenal, as surprising as that may be to some).

Best Match of the Season: Only counting neutral games, this is a tough decision, but a couple in particular spring to mind: Guildford City 2 Farnham Town 3 and Thatcham Town 2 Bromsgrove Sporting 1 (both great for different reasons: the Guildford game being an end-to-end thriller that was so good it got a friend of mine - who had never watched non-league before in his life - actively interested in it and eager to watch more; as for the Thatcham game, that was an excellent tactical contest between two sides playing way above the level you would expect from Step 5 teams).

Worst Match of the Season: Two that I saw back-to-back come to mind here: Merstham 1 Leiston 0 and Abbey Rangers 0 Epsom & Ewell 0 (between them, the two matches had no more than five notable incidents, with the latter match barely seeing a single shot on target and being utterly tedious to watch).

Best Food Served: The so-called Gingerbread Burger at Grantham Town is by far and away the winner in this category, but honourable mention must go to the Chicken Nuggets on offer at Abbey Rangers, partially because it's such an odd choice of football food but also because they were so good too, almost enough to make up for the awful match even.

Non-League Person of the Season: If I had to highlight one person, it would be Dominic at Raynes Park Vale, partially for being as friendly as they come both times I saw his side play this season, but also because of the lengths he has gone to in order to keep the club going, most notably fixing up the ground to keep the club in the league. However, I think this should really go to all the volunteers at all the clubs I've visited this season; the people who keep things running smoothly at the clubs throughout a season, both on matchdays and the days in between.

Yaxley FC Programme Editor

2018/19 (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 13 (Most Recent: Bromsgrove Sporting)
Games: 22
Goals: 83
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.77
0-0s: 0

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by Atavistic on May 17, 2018, 12:33 AM)

willesden
Reserve Team Sub

May 17, 2018, 8:38 AM

Team(s): Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon + NW London Non League

Post #24 of 42 (6260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] The Onion Bag Awards 2017-18 Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best Ground Visited:
Commerzbank Arena, Frankfurt.

Favourite Grounds Visited:
Flamingo Land Stadium Scarborough after 10 years in exile, I enjoy every visit to Silver Jubilee Park because of the people there, while Stadion Am Zoo in Wuppertal had something about it.

Most Friendly Club Welcome:
Aside from Hendon I thought those at Merstham and Skelmersdale were smashing folk.

Least Friendly Club Welcome:
I’m pretty low maintenance so no real issues with clubs. One or two clubs could be doing with having a word with some of their fans.

Best Match of the Season:
Eintracht Frankfurt 2 Borussia Dortmund 2, with a special mention to Hendon 4 Billericay 1 and the atmosphere and occasion of the Dulwich Hamlet v Hendon Play Off Final. A privilege to be in attendance despite the result.

Worst Match of the Season: Wattenscheid 0 Wuppertaler 0 was staggeringly awful.

Best Food Served:
Pollok, although the black pudding sausage from the stall outside Anderlecht was top drawer.

Aky Achillea, Chairman of Haringey Borough for the continuation of the free season ticket offer being rewarded with promotion. A real community success story.

(This post was edited by willesden on May 17, 2018, 9:04 AM)

CleethorpesOggy
Youth Team Sub

May 17, 2018, 12:19 PM

Team(s): Cleethorpes Town FC; Arnold Town FC; Nottingham Forest FC

Post #25 of 42 (6036 views)
Shortcut

Best Ground Visited: Hull City - only league ground visited during season. Non-league: Hednesford Town - would not look out of place much higher in the pyramid.

Favourite Ground Visited: Buxton - classic "proper" football ground. Also the first competitive match for Clee Town at a step 3 venue and a 2-1 Trophy win to boot!

Most Friendly Club Welcome: Newcastle Town - friendly welcome from the gateman and a warm chat with the Chairman, who seemed amazed that I had managed to walk from Stoke station!

Least Friendly Club Welcome: Generally good welcome from most sides in the Evostik South, although a couple of the West Midlands clubs were less amiable than the rest.

Best Match Of the Season: Lincoln United 4 Clee Town 5 - topsy-turvy 9-goal Boxing Day feast.

Worst Match of the Season: Alvechurch 1 Clee Town 0 - dreadful experience. Crammed in like sardines on the bus down, which may have had something to do with a pitiful display from the Owls against (admittedly) a decent side. Then roadworks galore on the way home and not through front door until 2.15am - madness...

Best Food Served: Belper Town - been part of the "prawn sandwich" brigade a few times this year and the homemade meatballs at the Marston's Stadium tasted terrific.

Non League Person of the Season: having become more involved behind the scenes, I now know that it takes much more than the average fan thinks to keep a non-league club ticking over. So, a pat on the back for all the countless volunteers, who play their part.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3