Quite short I'd think.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 26, 2018, 4:13 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #2 of 23 (24236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TroubleAtMill] Bid for Wembley [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I read the article on the BBC website and offer of £500m for the stadium plus £300m for the debentures and hospitality business is low when you consider the real estate value of the site at today's values. Of the £500m would the taxpayer gets back the lottery funding it contributed to the building of Wembley?

On the plus side, Fulham get a big stadium to play in and could sell Craven Cottage to recoup some of the cost. London gets a permanent, or semi-permanent NFL team, Jacksonville Jaguars. FA Cup semi-finals can return to being played at neutral grounds that aren't Wembley, leaving the FA Cup Final, along with the League Cup, FA Trophy and FA Vase finals at Wembley. England can play around the country with Wembley being an option.

On the negative side, the FA are selling at a loss and the taxpayer loses millions. The FA loses it's headquarters, although they can find other premises in London. The FA, and EFL, would have to book the stadium for their various matches, although the NFL doesn't run in May so that wouldn't be a problem. The FA loses revenue from renting out the stadium.

In conclusion, the FA didn't own the old stadium and this wasn't a problem. If the FA can pay off it's debts and have money left over to invest in grassroots football then they should sell. There are enough stadiums around the country to host England games and FA Cup semi-finals.

The FA would have to sanction Fulham moving to another borough but that shouldn't be a problem.

Northumbrian
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 26, 2018, 4:18 PM

Team(s): Ponteland Utd, Newcastle Utd

Post #3 of 23 (24236 views)
Shortcut

Seems as if the FA are very keen to sell.
Probably the interest payments on the loan they took out to rebuild it are proving too much for them.
I always thought a true ‘national stadium’ should have been somewhere in the middle of the country not down in one corner making travelling home from Cup Finals a bit fairer. Touring England home matches around the country is something I like too.
On another note could this make Chelsea Fulham’s tenants when they rebuild Stamford Bridge?

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 26, 2018, 5:16 PM

Post #4 of 23 (24213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Bid for Wembley [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The FA would have to sanction Fulham moving to another borough but that shouldn't be a problem.

The plan isn't for Fulham to leave Craven Cottage for Wembley.

A statement to Fulham fans from Shahid Khan includes the following paragraph

"To be clear, this venture is 100 per cent independent of my investment in and operation of Fulham Football Club, Motspur Park and Craven Cottage. No less attention will be paid to developing players and fielding a squad that will win with frequency and always make you proud. It will have no impact on Craven Cottage as the home of FFC. And this is imperative to know, and I encourage you to spread the word – absolutely nothing changes in our plans to redevelop the Riverside Stand. "

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 26, 2018, 5:21 PM

Post #5 of 23 (24211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Northumbrian] Bid for Wembley [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm not a fan of NFL, or American Football in whatever title it is given, but there does seem to be a demand for it in the UK. NFL teams play 16 regular season games per season, at least they did in 2017, so that makes 8 home games, which is 8 times Wembley would get a 80k+ attendance if a franchise was set up in London. Then there are the play-offs, which could be another 3 to 4 games. Then there is Fulham, 23 home league games with an estimated 25k per home game in the Championship, or estimated 40k in the PL. Add in FA Cup, League Cup finals at 90k each, EFL play-offs, unless the EFL move them, and maybe 1 England game per season. This would make Wembley profitable for any new owners.

The pitch would get a bit of a beating until Christmas with both Football and NFL games being played on it but the surface would recover by FA Cup Final time.

Since Fulham have only reached one cup final then there wouldn't be any issues with home advantage, and the FA don't seem to be bothered with neutrality anymore anyway.

A long post which I ended up being posted after Richard's post, so it looks like Fulham are being taken out of the equation, at least for now.

(This post was edited by Tykeoldboy on Apr 26, 2018, 5:24 PM)

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Apr 26, 2018, 11:49 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #6 of 23 (24105 views)
Shortcut

Should the deal go ahead, then the National Stadium, as it has been dubbed, will be in the hands of an American entrepreneur!!

For this reason I expect political opposition to the plan, aided and abetted by Tottenham, who have their own plans for NFL in London.

cope1

Apr 27, 2018, 12:41 AM

Post #7 of 23 (24083 views)
Shortcut

FA Cup semi-finals returning to other venues would be great, but is there any reason to expect that? It seems to me that the whoever owns the stadium, if they think they're in with a shot of filling it three times a year through the FA Cup they're unlikely to reduce it to once a year. I think the rest of the competitions will also be fine (plus the RFL Challenge Cup) will be fine as long as they bring in enough to justify it.

I wouldn't even think the England football team would be put out. As long as they are selling out, the owners will want them in there. I'm sure they can fix it with the NFL, if that's the way they want to go.

I wonder if Spurs would have any say in any of this. They're developing their stadium to host NFL games, but is that on the back of any kind of agreement, or are they just predicting demand?

jrev61

Apr 27, 2018, 9:59 AM

Team(s): None

Post #8 of 23 (23977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Bid for Wembley [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If this goes through, Chelsea would be unable to play at Wembley for 3 seasons whilst their new/redeveloped ground is built.
According to the Evening Standard 1,600 3G pitches would be 'built'. This could mean virtually every step 2-6 team having one. Leicester Nirvana for one will be dleighted if this happens!

jrev61

derekn
First Team Star

Apr 27, 2018, 10:03 AM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #9 of 23 (23976 views)
Shortcut

FA Trophy, FA Vase, all the play-off finals don't fill Wembley so they'd be gone, I should think.

cope1

Apr 27, 2018, 10:27 AM

Post #10 of 23 (23966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Bid for Wembley [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As someone with 25 years' experience of football admin, I'd rather see some money put into admin support for clubs rather than just more and more pitches. All the facilities in the world can't help a club survive if they haven't got the man hours to organise themselves. I probably spend as much time 'working' for football as I do in paid employment, but where I do get paid, it's not much more than expenses, and that's only the 'visible' expenses which I can recharge. I'd hate to think how much of my electric bill is down to the work I do on my laptop, which is almost entirely used for football.

There are lots of financial incentives out there, but they never apply to paying the people who give up half their lives to keep football going. Those people are given 'awards' which are pleasing if you're well off enough to spend your days pottering about doing football stuff while you decide whether to get a loft extension, are as much a kick in the teeth as any kind of 'honour' if your juggling football admin and moving money about to avoid the latest overdraft fees.

Northumbrian
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 27, 2018, 10:30 AM

Post #11 of 23 (23963 views)
Shortcut

At moment the potential buyer is making all the right noises regarding Fulham staying at Craven Cottage. I’m probably a bit cynical but I wonder if it’s a case of not trying to rock the boat going into a crucial time of the season.
I would think the long term plan would be get Fulham into the Premier League and play their 19 home league games and whatever cup games at Wembley. An NFL team only has 8 regular season games plus possible play off games so the Jacksonville/London Jaguars could easily share with Fulham.
With a couple of England games and major Cup Finals it would be in more or less continuous use through the football season.
There would also be room for other big sporting events e.g. Boxing and concerts during the summer.
Agree with the previous point about the Trophy/Vase/National League Playoff finals no longer being welcome.

Northumbrian
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 27, 2018, 10:48 AM

Post #12 of 23 (23957 views)
Shortcut

I wonder if Spurs would have any say in any of this. They're developing their stadium to host NFL games, but is that on the back of any kind of agreement, or are they just predicting demand?
———————————————————————-——————— I doubt it. Spurs have a watertight deal with the NFL to host 2 regular season games every year for the next 10 years (only 1 this first year but I believe they’ll have 3 in another season to make it up). The games probably won’t include the Jacksonville/London Jaguars, if they move to Wembley, but selections of other teams.

(This post was edited by Northumbrian on Apr 27, 2018, 11:56 AM)

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 27, 2018, 1:54 PM

Post #13 of 23 (23890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Northumbrian] Bid for Wembley [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Tottenham/NFL deal is only or 2 games per season and the fixture would vary season by season. This wouldn't impact Jacksonville Londoners playing their home games at Wembley but more of an addition for UK based NFL fans.

As for England games, a home fixture in October and/or November would create a problem since this would be mid season for the NFL, unless the new owners, assuming they complete the deal, can come up with a way to keep the playing surface up to a standard expected by football players.

Should the deal go through then the new owners will be rubbing there hands at the almost instant cash windfall they will receive from hosting the Euro2020 semi-finals and final.

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 27, 2018, 3:53 PM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 23 (23860 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
If this goes through, Chelsea would be unable to play at Wembley for 3 seasons whilst their new/redeveloped ground is built.
According to the Evening Standard 1,600 3G pitches would be 'built'. This could mean virtually every step 2-6 team having one. Leicester Nirvana for one will be dleighted if this happens!

Why would Chelsea be unable to play at Wembley? The new owner would probably not be opposed to them doing so and in fact he would probably welcome the extra income. I am aware that some groundhoppers would prefer Chelsea to play at Twickenham so that they could tick it, but Wembley will still be the clear favourite.

As for the 1,600 new 3G pitches, I would also be very surprised if they were built at existing Step 2-6 clubs. It is far more likely that schools and colleges will be the favoured locations, and that they will be built as cheaply as possible (ie; without any standing areas for spectators) although some Step 7 clubs will doubtless be able to switch their games to these new 3G pitches in bad weather, as happens at present.

(This post was edited by greenwood on Apr 27, 2018, 3:55 PM)

jrev61

Apr 27, 2018, 7:15 PM

Post #15 of 23 (23803 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] Bid for Wembley [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Why would Chelsea be unable to play at Wembley? The new owner would probably not be opposed to them doing so and in fact he would probably welcome the extra income. I am aware that some groundhoppers would prefer Chelsea to play at Twickenham so that they could tick it, but Wembley will still be the clear favourite.

As for the 1,600 new 3G pitches, I would also be very surprised if they were built at existing Step 2-6 clubs. It is far more likely that schools and colleges will be the favoured locations, and that they will be built as cheaply as possible (ie; without any standing areas for spectators) although some Step 7 clubs will doubtless be able to switch their games to these new 3G pitches in bad weather, as happens at present.

Chelsea would not be able to play at Wembey because the stadium would be primarily for American Football in Autumn and early Winter. Switching between the two sports would probably not be possible in 24 hours so both could be staged in the same weekend. Twickenham have already ruled out Chelsea playing there.
Of course all 1.600 3G pitches would not be step 2-6 clubs as there aren't that many clubs, but equally there are not enough people playing football to justify building all these extra 3G pitches. I suspect it's like promising money saved from EU contributions to be spent on the NHS. IE a lie.
If the sale happens the FA will come up with all sorts of reasons for not providing all the 3G pitches. Pay rises for all the top FA people will no doubt be affordable though!

jrev61

Richard Rundle

Apr 27, 2018, 9:19 PM

Post #16 of 23 (23760 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Chelsea would not be able to play at Wembey because the stadium would be primarily for American Football in Autumn and early Winter. Switching between the two sports would probably not be possible in 24 hours so both could be staged in the same weekend. Twickenham have already ruled out Chelsea playing there.

The NFL schedule is set back in April, so there shouldn't be any problem slotting the Premier League games in the weeks when the Jags, if they ever do play all their games in London (which I seriously doubt) are away. They would only play 8 home games a year, plus the odd play-off game if they're lucky enough to get there.

Ropemaker

Apr 27, 2018, 10:35 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #17 of 23 (23716 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Bid for Wembley [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

After the FA have paid off debts, agent's fees etc. etc., will there be any money left for all these 3G pitches?

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

jrev61

Apr 27, 2018, 11:10 PM

Post #18 of 23 (23690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Bid for Wembley [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

The NFL schedule is set back in April, so there shouldn't be any problem slotting the Premier League games in the weeks when the Jags, if they ever do play all their games in London (which I seriously doubt) are away. They would only play 8 home games a year, plus the odd play-off game if they're lucky enough to get there.

According to the Evening Standard which is my only source even England would not be able to play at Wembley during the Autumn. Not sure how accurate this is.

jrev61

bmavfc
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 30, 2018, 12:22 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Peterborough Sports

Post #19 of 23 (23429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Bid for Wembley [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I very much doubt the fa will pay off there debts from the sale more likely take out a longer but less repayment deal.

reply]After the FA have paid off debts, agent's fees etc. etc., will there be any money left for all these 3G pitches?

derekn
First Team Star

May 1, 2018, 9:37 AM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #20 of 23 (23298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bmavfc] Bid for Wembley [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

But now they appear to have decided on wasting the money on a bid for the World Cup!

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

May 4, 2018, 8:40 AM

Post #21 of 23 (23115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Bid for Wembley [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

But maybe they can't sell for a long time http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...e-sold-40-years.html

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

May 7, 2018, 10:49 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #22 of 23 (22952 views)
Shortcut

If it is the Daily Mail then it must be true....;)
I am sure whatever covenant is in place there will be a way round it, or an arrangement in input to ignore it altogether.
On another side I can’t see how this works. If the Stadium was to be sold as planned, there could be all kinds of issues created if The owner of Fulham FC were to find themselves I trouble with the authorities. A robust approach from the FA towards them could create an interesting relationship.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 17, 2018, 4:21 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #23 of 23 (17954 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Bid for Wembley [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Seems the silver is staying in the family as Khan has pulled the plug on the deal.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3