Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Norwich City A in the Eastern Counties League 1974/75

Cannary
Junior Team Sub

Apr 24, 2018, 10:46 PM

Team(s): Norwich City

Post #1 of 5 (864 views)
Shortcut
Norwich City A in the Eastern Counties League 1974/75 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Does anyone know Norwich City A's final two results in the Eastern Counties League in May 1975 before they resigned to enter a youth team in the South East Counties League instead? The games were at Chatteris and Braintree & Crittall, and I'd also like to know the dates as there's nothing in the Norwich press. I'm guessing that the question of the existence of a programme at Chatteris may be hard to answer, but an issue at Cressing Road must have been much more likely.

NeilH
Youth Team Star

Apr 24, 2018, 11:27 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #2 of 5 (854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cannary] Norwich City A in the Eastern Counties League 1974/75 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hello Cannary

The ECL history book has Chatteris 8 Norwich City 0 and Braintree 3 Norwich City 0 in the results grid.

No dates but hope that helps.

Hopefully others can assist with the dates but if no joy let me know and I will check papers at Cambridge library for you as normally decent coverage in those days.

halsteadiron
Junior Team Sub

Apr 28, 2018, 5:55 PM

Post #3 of 5 (542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cannary] Norwich City A in the Eastern Counties League 1974/75 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The match at Cressing Road took place on 6th May 1975 with Braintree & Crittall Athletic winning 3-0, sadly no programme was produced

Cannary
Junior Team Sub

May 15, 2018, 12:53 PM

Post #4 of 5 (178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [halsteadiron] Norwich City A in the Eastern Counties League 1974/75 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you both very much for your replies; very sorry for not getting back to you earlier. After careful re-examination of the Eastern Daily Press I found the fixtures listed for both games (the sports pages' lay-out was all over the place), but no results, which just goes to show that some titles weren't always the papers of record we assumed they were. The Braintree game was indeed on May 6, with the Chatteris match two nights later. Assuming (again) that there was no programme for a Thursday night game at Chatteris, that would mean that the last issue for an Eastern Counties League fixture featuring Norwich City A was for the match at Gorleston at the end of April. And there have been plenty of these on sale on eBay over the years, as opposed, say, to the rather more scarce single sheet at Gothic at the start of the season.

Cannary
Junior Team Sub

May 15, 2018, 7:49 PM

Post #5 of 5 (132 views)
Shortcut

Actually, thinking about it, the Chatteris 8-0 win was in August. The second match should have been played in Norwich, but with various pitch problems City A had to play 14 home and 24 away fixtures. (And not all the home games were played at Trowse; three took place at Lakenham, where the facilities might have been all right for Step 5 in 1974, but now would struggle to get in the lowest reaches of the Anglian Combination!) So if I add up other scores, does this mean that Chatteris won the return fixture 5-4 or can't I add up?
I have been looking for the ECL history for some time without success, and keep looking in every second-hand shop I visit. Just wasn't organised enough at the time, I'm afraid.

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3