St George's Day

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Apr 23, 2018, 6:38 AM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #1 of 12 (1818 views)
Shortcut
St George's Day Can't Post or Reply Privately

As an early riser, often get to listen to 'Prayer for the Day. at around 5:40 am. Often just tedious platitudes in the background whilst making your breakfast cuppa. Sometimes there's a bit of thoughtful insight to think about over your toast.

But this morning's edition - well I'm not sure if it was serious or spoof.

The speaker began, entirely understandably, by referring to St George and his status as England's patron saint since the days of Edward III and the foundation of the Order of the Garter.

He then went on to tell of the few factual snippets we know about him : born in what is now Turkey, martyred by the Roman emperor Diocletian (sp?), but because of George's strength in both faith and battle, he became venerated throughout many parts of Europe and the Middle East - and indeed the nation of Georgia is named in his honour - and in that country they celebrate him twice a year.

And thence to the conclusion. The speaker noted how there has been a huge increase in the display of St. George's flags across England these last few years.

And what a fine thing this was.

A nation leading the world by being a country that would happily display a flag linked to a saint who was venerated in so many places, not just their own.

Those flying the flag had an understanding that faith and humanity wasn't restricted by petty things like national boundaries.

Marking today by ensuring the red cross on a white background is increasingly widely visible is thus demonstrating the belief in shared cultural values across the globe through praise of a man who is held in high honour across many lands.

That's why I fly the flag today.

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 23, 2018, 3:28 PM

Post #2 of 12 (1659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] St George's Day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

How very odd! It's like saying that England should take pride in celebrating someone that everyone likes. I'm not quite sure what the source of pride is, but there you go.

I bet a very small proportion of flag flyers are flying it for that reason. Many will be doing so to state their ethnic or cultural identity, a small few for reasons of xenophobia and some, like my nephew, because they just love flags.

On the topic of people loving flags, I showed my nephew (aged 4) my old flag book. He was absolutely smitten, especially with the GDR flag which I tried to explain to him. He is half German, but obviously is a bit young to understand the political background to the GDR/FRG split.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Apr 23, 2018, 3:33 PM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #3 of 12 (1653 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] St George's Day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't think I explained myself very well.

The broadcast was very well done and explained things in a way that could be taken at both face value and in a much deeper way.

I share your love of flags - and used to be a member of the Flag Institute.
I find the choice of colour, emblem and style to be fascinating. The furl and flutter of a good flag is great.

It's when folk start using them as a way of trying to decide who belongs and doesn't belong to a certain group that things start getting dodgy...hence the 'wrapping yourself in the flag' criticism directed against certain opinions at certain times

PaulC

Apr 23, 2018, 5:13 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #4 of 12 (1602 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] St George's Day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
How very odd! It's like saying that England should take pride in celebrating someone that everyone likes. I'm not quite sure what the source of pride is, but there you go.

I bet a very small proportion of flag flyers are flying it for that reason. Many will be doing so to state their ethnic or cultural identity, a small few for reasons of xenophobia and some, like my nephew, because they just love flags.

On the topic of people loving flags, I showed my nephew (aged 4) my old flag book. He was absolutely smitten, especially with the GDR flag which I tried to explain to him. He is half German, but obviously is a bit young to understand the political background to the GDR/FRG split.

I wonder what triggered the discovery by many English people that the Flag of St George rather than the Union Flag was the flag of England.

My guess is it was in the 70s when the Scottish independence movement restarted and for the first time it dawned on people that England wasn't the UK and the UK wasn't England.

I can always remember being aged about 12 and being driven through a North Lancashire village where a red cross was flying above a church. I couldn't recall ever having seen one before. It was probably St George's Day - which hadn't registered either.

World Cup final 1966

Richard Rundle

Apr 23, 2018, 8:21 PM

Post #5 of 12 (1527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] St George's Day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

To be honest, I have seen an increase in St George's Flags being flown on April 23. Perhaps that is because I live in Cornwall, where we see far more St Piran's Flags all year round. I've walked around the town where I live and the town where I work today and seen a grand total of 1 St George's Flag.

Yatesman
First Team Regular

Apr 23, 2018, 10:25 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 12 (1473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] St George's Day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I wonder what triggered the discovery by many English people that the Flag of St George rather than the Union Flag was the flag of England.

My guess is it was in the 70s when the Scottish independence movement restarted and for the first time it dawned on people that England wasn't the UK and the UK wasn't England.

I can always remember being aged about 12 and being driven through a North Lancashire village where a red cross was flying above a church. I couldn't recall ever having seen one before. It was probably St George's Day - which hadn't registered either.

World Cup final 1966

We know you think everything on this planet revolves around Scotland
but my guess is that it was when we joined the EU.

Personally, I have never flown a flag to display a national identity other than at a football match. I can't imagine me ever doing so for anything other than sport.

In Yate and district the local churches have always flown St Georges flags but then St George was a religious martyr long before any association with England, Georgia, Catalonia or wherever else.

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 23, 2018, 10:42 PM

Post #7 of 12 (1457 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] St George's Day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Wouldn't be so bad if he was Scottish.

I don't need Google. I have a Hoddy.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 23, 2018, 10:44 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #8 of 12 (1455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] St George's Day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Purely from a football perspective the Flag of St George replaced the Union Flag in Euro 96 and that has to have been a good thing but i love them both even though i now count myself more English than British these days.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 23, 2018, 11:19 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #9 of 12 (1429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Climate Change] St George's Day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Wouldn't be so bad if he was Scottish.

Similarities between Paul C (is it Carnehan ??) and Peachy Carnehan - The Man who Would be Scottish Wink

KnowYourMarket

Apr 24, 2018, 11:25 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #10 of 12 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] St George's Day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

dottirofhod is unsure of the flag.

He seems to use a version that has the word "England" written on it. Just in case we did not know which country it represented. In future he must put his flags with the country name written on it.

A red cross on a white background with England written on is not an England flag. He must do better.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

(This post was edited by KnowYourMarket on Apr 24, 2018, 11:25 AM)

dottirofhod

Apr 24, 2018, 11:48 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #11 of 12 (1290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] St George's Day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What are you going on about ?

Surely you should have =

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 35 / 30/ 5/ inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 11 / 08 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-3-2)/ Lux = 0-3 / Neth = 0-0-0-(2 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3/ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-1.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 25, 2018, 11:00 PM

Post #12 of 12 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] St George's Day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Purely from a football perspective the Flag of St George replaced the Union Flag in Euro 96 .

The change was well underway at Italia 90 - I would estimate at least 50% of the flags displayed by England fans were St George's.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3