First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 4, 2018, 7:46 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #51 of 180 (4174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] CONIFA [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was going tending to go to some of these games but having been told by a fellow groundhopping mate that one of his colleagues from work is in one of the squads and has never been more than a Sunday league player, I am having second thoughts, especially if they want me to pay 11 quid for the privilege.
However, I could get some ticks pre-season. Such dilemmas !

Dribble!
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 4, 2018, 9:05 AM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #52 of 180 (4139 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] CONIFA [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Price is expensive but have booked tickets for 3 games - some of the teams will be quite good so you can choose that way or teams who will have plenty of support from their communities in London

I chose to go as a novelty and does get me 3 new grounds with 2 on one day so worth it for some June football

Last New Ground: Kelvedon Social; Games in 2018/19 Season = 6; New Grounds this Season = 5
Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town v Aston Villa, - Championship ( 18/8/18)
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 4, 2018, 11:37 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #53 of 180 (4082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] CONIFA [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Price is expensive but have booked tickets for 3 games - some of the teams will be quite good so you can choose that way or teams who will have plenty of support from their communities in London

I chose to go as a novelty and does get me 3 new grounds with 2 on one day so worth it for some June football

I have to agree the novelty aspect and the chance for some ticks in June are tempting. Will probably be a late decision.

Geoff
Reserve Team Star

Apr 4, 2018, 1:34 PM

Post #54 of 180 (4008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] CONIFA [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Expensive? - Eleven quid to watch, for example, Tuvalu play Matabeleland is, in my humble opinion, an absolute bargain. For the cost of a packet of fags or three pints I値l get ninety minutes of entertainment on hopefully a lovely summer evening.
Based on my experience over the last few years the standard of the teams has little or no correlation to the level of entertainment provided.. In the last couple of weeks I the best two games I have seen have been at step seven, the worst two at steps 2 & 3.
Even though, as a pensioner, I値l be paying more than I have for any other games this years I will certainly watch a few gams at my local venues, Aveley, Enfield & Haringey.
I do have one problem, which season do I include any games in for my records, 2017/18 or 2018/19?

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 4, 2018, 3:01 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #55 of 180 (3946 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geoff] CONIFA [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
One problem, which season do I include any games in for my records, 2017/18 or 2018/19?

I cannot answer for you, but I can say that I will be counting games in this as 2017/18.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

RussWWFC
First Team Star

Apr 4, 2018, 6:48 PM

Team(s): Wycombe Wanderers

Post #56 of 180 (3797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] CONIFA [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I use 15th June as the start date for the new season, seeing as that's a mainly football-free month

Visit my Blog - The Wycombe Wanderer
Follow me on Twitter @RussWWFC

Barbie
First Team Sub

Apr 4, 2018, 7:30 PM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #57 of 180 (3768 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Expensive? - Eleven quid to watch, for example, Tuvalu play Matabeleland is, in my humble opinion, an absolute bargain. For the cost of a packet of fags or three pints I値l get ninety minutes of entertainment on hopefully a lovely summer evening.
Based on my experience over the last few years the standard of the teams has little or no correlation to the level of entertainment provided.. In the last couple of weeks I the best two games I have seen have been at step seven, the worst two at steps 2 & 3.
Even though, as a pensioner, I値l be paying more than I have for any other games this years I will certainly watch a few gams at my local venues, Aveley, Enfield & Haringey.
I do have one problem, which season do I include any games in for my records, 2017/18 or 2018/19?

The FIFA year runs from 00.00 on 1st July to 23.59 on 30th June. Definitely 17/18 for me. But they're your records, go for whatever works for you.
(As an aside - I've decided that I can't die during the football season and am, therefore, I'm immortal)

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 4, 2018, 7:56 PM

Post #58 of 180 (3745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barbie] CONIFA [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

The FIFA year runs from 00.00 on 1st July to 23.59 on 30th June. Definitely 17/18 for me. But they're your records, go for whatever works for you.
(As an aside - I've decided that I can't die during the football season and am, therefore, I'm immortal)

23:59:30 on June 30th?
Does FIFA define a time zone?

Fat AND Pompous.

Barbie
First Team Sub

Apr 4, 2018, 10:06 PM

Post #59 of 180 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Ooh. Good point. There could well be an overlap. I am immortal!

agamemnon3
Junior Team Star

Apr 5, 2018, 4:12 AM

Post #60 of 180 (3579 views)
Shortcut

Eleven quid is, as you say, an absolute bargain to watch Tuvalu versus Matabeleland --- as long as that is, indeed, what you are watching. But if what you are actually watching is half a dozen pub players, and some of their mates, from Wandsworth, versus half a dozen pub players, and some of their mates, from Edmonton, of whom none could find either Tuvalu or Matabeleland on a map if their very lives depended upon it, then eleven quid is quite expensive.

Pub football is pub football, however one dresses it up.

For my own part, I shall turn up at Sutton on May 31st and watch Cascadia, of whom I know nothing, take on Ellan Vannin, whom I know to be a middling-to-poor step eight side. After that I shall just wait and see how it goes.

(This post was edited by agamemnon3 on Apr 5, 2018, 4:16 AM)

tranmerekev
Ballboy/girl

Apr 8, 2018, 4:51 PM

Post #61 of 180 (3186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [agamemnon3] CONIFA [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I watched all 12 sides at the last CONIFA World Cup, and the standard varied, and that's being kind.

The likes of Kurdistan and Abkhazia had players ho played League football in Iraq and Russia, whilst Padania had a couple of former Serie C players IIRC.
Panjab's star man was banging in loads of goals for Darlington at the time.

On the flip side, the likes of Chagos, Raetia and Somaliland were really pub sides. I got chatting to a few players from Chagos and Raetia and they all but admitted they were pub players.

I disagree about pointing out places on a map. The Chagos lads, though mostly, if not all, second generation, seemed passionate about their parents plight to return the islands to their people.

Although the football was similar to a standard I once played on a Sunday, the one day we took a trip to the second stadium in Gagra was thoroughly enjoyable, as I wrote in my Blog.
Saw a 3-3 draw with a farcical penalty shoot out, plus a 10-3 win for Szekely Land, who kindly let us travel on their team bus back to the capital.

Whilst I enjoyed 2016, and will try and make a few games this year, I do think they're spreading the tournment too wide. Is it really necessary to have 10 stadia, with a further possible edition?
Two years ago it was two, with 12 teams participating. Surely four grounds is plenty?

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 8, 2018, 6:31 PM

Post #62 of 180 (3120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tranmerekev] CONIFA [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Of course, you could easily operate on four stadiums only. It would make it easier for the organisers.
But spreading the competition out, they should be bringing it to a larger audience
Consider someone who lives in Bracknell, Wokingham or even Reading - interested in sport and football, but not a crazy like some on here.

This person is not going to Sutton or Carshalton to watch matches. They are not going to watch double headers on six different days in Bracknell
But there are three games in Bracknell only, they may go to one to see what it is all about

The same goes for the other venue
The organisers have sensibly set the Panjab matches for Slough and the Northern Cyprus in Enfield - where the best diaspora groups are placed

The organisers have being putting out a lot by twitter, but this only reaches the audience that is watching
They are a small organisation - perhaps others have seen how much they have put into the local communities to grab interest.
I expect some national press attention around the start of the tournament. They do not really want it now, with almost two months to go

Still waiting on the announcement on venue for the final.

I also wonder if any of the organisers are panicking behind the scenes, as they try to make arrangements for the teams.
Are any having trouble funding? Or with visas?

Fat AND Pompous.

youngster
First Team Star

Apr 8, 2018, 8:24 PM

Team(s):

Post #63 of 180 (3043 views)
Shortcut
Re: [agamemnon3] CONIFA [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Eleven quid is, as you say, an absolute bargain to watch Tuvalu versus Matabeleland --- as long as that is, indeed, what you are watching. But if what you are actually watching is half a dozen pub players, and some of their mates, from Wandsworth, versus half a dozen pub players, and some of their mates, from Edmonton, of whom none could find either Tuvalu or Matabeleland on a map if their very lives depended upon it, then eleven quid is quite expensive.

Pub football is pub football, however one dresses it up.

For my own part, I shall turn up at Sutton on May 31st and watch Cascadia, of whom I know nothing, take on Ellan Vannin, whom I know to be a middling-to-poor step eight side. After that I shall just wait and see how it goes.

What you say could well be correct, but where did the players come from for the last tournament? I'm sure all the Countries didn't happen to have a squad of pub footballers close by to get them to play.
I suppose we'll just have to wait for the tournament programme, hopefully that will give us the birth place of the competitors, but it might not.

greenwood
Youth Team Star

Apr 8, 2018, 8:26 PM

Post #64 of 180 (3037 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Following the Pope's recent comment that Hell does not exist and sinners merely disappear, there was a letter in a national newspaper which commented that this was hardly going to discourage sin because, according to the letter writer, there is nothing more awful than the prospect of eternal life.

tranmerekev
Ballboy/girl

Apr 8, 2018, 8:34 PM

Post #65 of 180 (3024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] CONIFA [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Chagos team were/are basically a pub side. They started playing in the Crawley local leagues, as that's where they mainly live. Looking and speaking to one or two Raetia lads two years, who were at the bar after the match before they'd even showered and changed, suggested that Sunday mornings was their level.

tranmerekev
Ballboy/girl

Apr 8, 2018, 8:47 PM

Post #66 of 180 (3007 views)
Shortcut

I think funding is the biggest hurdle some participants face.

I like to travel oversea's a couple of times a year, and when we decided on Abkhazia the cost astounded me. The recommended route was via Moscow and Sochi, but not only flights were expensive, a Russian visa was 」180, and that was basically for the couple of hours on Russian soil.

All the teams travelled that route, and I believe the Abhkazian government sorted the visa's, but travelling on a budget meant going the other way. We ended going via Poland and Georgia, which tecnically is an illegal crossing.

The Isle of Man didn't go on advice of the British government because of the legalities of entering the country.
Also there was a late pull out due to costs, can't remember who, but they were replaced by Pandania.

Some nations crowd funded their trips, though I believe all accomodation was provided by the government.

Having it in England does help some nations. Some are based here like Panjab and Barawa, and London is far more accessible than Abkhazia is/was for those travelling.

Saying that, and having met Per-Ander and Sascha, it's a thankless task trying to organise such an event. Hopefully it will be well attended and draw some much needed publicity.

Barbie
First Team Sub

Apr 8, 2018, 9:33 PM

Post #67 of 180 (2970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] CONIFA [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Following the Pope's recent comment that Hell does not exist and sinners merely disappear, there was a letter in a national newspaper which commented that this was hardly going to discourage sin because, according to the letter writer, there is nothing more awful than the prospect of eternal life.

After watching Gosport v St Ives on Saturday, I'm inclined to agree.

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 12, 2018, 10:59 AM

Post #68 of 180 (2633 views)
Shortcut

CONIFA have announced that the final two games are to be at Enfield.
I think this means they have not been able to secure a grander venue

I thought they had set two of the placement games on the final day for Enfield, and their web site does now show two games without a venue
Wikipedia shows these games at Meadowbank, Dorking. Will that even be available?
I am sure we will get an announcement from CONIFA soon

I want to see the lowest game (15th/16th play off) and the final on the last day
The low game is 12 noon at Bedfont - easily possible, although this means I might not make the 3/4 kick off.

Fat AND Pompous.

Barbie
First Team Sub

Apr 12, 2018, 11:49 AM

Post #69 of 180 (2610 views)
Shortcut

A man after my own heart. The 15/16 play off is likely to be my destination too.

RussWWFC
First Team Star

Apr 16, 2018, 4:17 PM

Team(s): Wycombe Wanderers

Post #70 of 180 (2250 views)
Shortcut

All about the grounds for me, been to them all but planning on revisits to Carshalton & Enfield

Haringey, I want to save my visit for a Haringey game as I did it for an Enfield 1893 game last time. Bracknell, Fisher, Bedfont, Slough, Sutton, Bracknell & Aveley, I've all done fairly recently.

Visit my Blog - The Wycombe Wanderer
Follow me on Twitter @RussWWFC

scottsas
Youth Team Star

Apr 19, 2018, 3:24 PM

Post #71 of 180 (2006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RussWWFC] CONIFA [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'll be looking for a game or 2 on 31/5 and doubles on 2/3 June, any recommendations welcome, thanks :), they will all be new grounds to me

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 19, 2018, 3:58 PM

Post #72 of 180 (1991 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottsas] CONIFA [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What are you parameters - max teams or max grounds?
Public transport or car?

I may be able to offer a lift on the 31st from Sutton to Bromley

Fat AND Pompous.

scottsas
Youth Team Star

Apr 20, 2018, 12:59 AM

Post #73 of 180 (1857 views)
Shortcut

Thank you
I'll probably have my car with me, so seeking two in a day where possible
What I'm not sure about is the local knowledge needed for London / local traffic etc at the times in question
I'd rather do 2 games at 2 different grounds rather than the double at the same ground but would welcome those with more local knowledge than me
Thanks

Dribble!
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 20, 2018, 6:27 AM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #74 of 180 (1846 views)
Shortcut

Scott
I am doing 2 games on the 2nd - Bracknell at 2pm then onto Slough for 5pm game

Just one on the third, Isle of Man at Haringey

Last New Ground: Kelvedon Social; Games in 2018/19 Season = 6; New Grounds this Season = 5
Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town v Aston Villa, - Championship ( 18/8/18)
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 20, 2018, 9:08 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #75 of 180 (1800 views)
Shortcut

What I'm not sure about is the local knowledge needed for London / local traffic etc at the times in question
I'd rather do 2 games at 2 different grounds rather than the double at the same ground but would welcome those with more local knowledge than me

A Carshalton (12), Sutton (3), Bromley (8) treble on 31st would be comfortably do-able by car. Despite heavy traffic at that time of day, you should even reach Bromley in good time for the opening ceremony at 7pm.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Apr 20, 2018, 9:11 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3