Home: Non League Football Information: History:
'West Ham United' in the newspapers pre-1900

London Harrier
First Team Star

Apr 19, 2018, 12:40 PM

Post #1 of 3 (716 views)
Shortcut
'West Ham United' in the newspapers pre-1900 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Looking through the BNA archive, I was surprised to see reference to “West Ham United” as early as 1896. It’s not clear what league this club played in (if any) but I’ve attached a couple of snippets below.

The West Ham United known today came into existence in 1900. So who were this older West Ham United?
Attachments: Tower Hamlets Independent-1896.JPG (51.8 KB)
  Tower Hamlets Independent-1897.JPG (41.5 KB)
  Sporting Life_1896.JPG (88.0 KB)

New Forest
Junior Team Star

Apr 19, 2018, 5:07 PM

Team(s): Leyton now Waltham Forest

Post #2 of 3 (654 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] 'West Ham United' in the newspapers pre-1900 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They appear to be grass-roots level - playing on parks or marches. The name is just coincidental. What would be interesting to know is if they were around in 1899 and then disappeared. That may be the reason that Thames Ironworks changed its name.

There is a very interesting newspaper 'The League News & Sports Chronicle'. I have only ever seen a photocopy. It was published by the same publishers as 'East End News' & 'London Shipping Chronicle'. The copy I saw was from 20th January 1904. It contained a two page history of Ilford FC. That was marked as #2. So there must have been#1 and there may well have been more. Perhaps someone with access to Stratford library etc could check it out. Round the title it lists all the local leagues that it covers including Southern League, London League, South Essex League round to West and East Ham Schools Leagues, as well as district leagues. The general titles is 'The Playing Fields of Suburban London: Their Past & Present. These could be a goldmine.

southend statto
First Team Star

Apr 19, 2018, 7:44 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #3 of 3 (603 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] 'West Ham United' in the newspapers pre-1900 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The first West Ham United played in the then prestigious South Essex League.
In 1900-01 they were champions of Div. 1 - 14-12-1-1-37-7-25.

Other local clubs were West Ham Garfield and South West Ham, along with East Ham United (no relation to the recent club of the same name).

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3