Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Radio 4 Programme

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Apr 15, 2018, 11:17 AM

Post #1 of 16 (2015 views)
Shortcut
Radio 4 Programme Can't Post or Reply Privately

Did anyone listen to the programme broadcast last night on Radio 4 @ 8pm? If so, what was your opinion of it?

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 15, 2018, 11:53 AM

Post #2 of 16 (1992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Radio 4 Programme [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Did anyone listen to the programme broadcast last night on Radio 4 @ 8pm? If so, what was your opinion of it?

Do you think he had a point?

I don't need Google. I have a Hoddy.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 15, 2018, 6:58 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #3 of 16 (1887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Radio 4 Extra Programme [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I listened to it right the way through, and I thought it was excellent. The guy has long been a hero of mine, and his contribution to the world is woefully underrated. For those who didn't listen...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07hnqrq

...here is Larry Adler - All Mouth Organ - a three-hour long celebration of this harmonica player extraordinaire from last night on Radio 4 Extra!

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Apr 17, 2018, 6:50 AM

Team(s): Birmingham City, Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #4 of 16 (1670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Radio 4 Extra Programme [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Many mixed feelings.
In no particular order

1. That I wish we had politicians (of all shades of opinion) with the breadth of experience that they had back then. In the HoC in the 60s we had men and women who had served in the war, who had worked in manual industry as well as the more usual lawyers and folk from posh backgrounds. Thus the HoC had a wider range of experience to draw on and there were fewer people who'd never had a proper job unlike today's situation.

2. More people had had a classical education to understand the way in which the speech also referred back to Roman times and comparing and contrasting how empires were to be wound down - which was what the UK was in the process of relatively successfully doing at the time.

3. Although he liked to present himself as a learned, rational scholar, applying logic to problems, there were odd occasions, as the presenter put it that he appeared "a stupid person's idea of a clever man". I think that's an unfair jibe

4. As to the central point which all the hoohah was about : did he have a point? Possibly. Would he have appreciated use of his language by more simplistic folk to make a point he was not - almost certainly not.

5. Is lack of integration of migrant communities a problem? Yes.

6. Is it a problem solely down to certain kinds of migrants? I'll let you come to an opinion on that once you've visited Stroke City and the Shankhill Road, and possibly the English settlements in the Costas.

Ultimately there is a huge discussion to be had about what is meant by native culture, what the place of migrants is in such a culture.

That's a hugely sensitive subject and not helped by sloganeering on either side. Trouble is, sloganeering is what today's culture is becoming increasingly dominated by - on all sides - which brings me back to point 1.

I'm glad that the BBC broadcast it. It was the kind of thoughtful analysis of a vital discussion that is what makes the BBC such a valued part of our nation. They should do this more often.

(This post was edited by broodleyhoo on Apr 17, 2018, 6:55 AM)

TheWavendonian
Youth Team Star

Apr 18, 2018, 9:29 AM

Team(s): Anywhere picturesque making good tea

Post #5 of 16 (1581 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Radio 4 Extra Programme [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Political discussions on this site have a tendency to descend into the "i'm right, you're wrong" game but, broodleyhoo, your post i find to be very well thought out and intelligent. You have avoided the usual cliches and bandwagon jumping of the vast majority of the population of this country and nailed the point of how the less intelligent in our society extract the bits they want to use for their own stupid agendas.

The overall intelligence of this country has plummetted to depths one could never foresee 50 years ago. This is why nowadays one has more chance of success if one is, say, taller and can shout louder or looks harder. Politicians are likely to be voted in if they are some pretty boy instead of an educated person. The house of commons is full of political bandwagon jumpers to keep their popularity up.

Many years ago, apart from the PM, the politicians and people running the country were pretty much faceless. The wheels turned and government did its job. Those days, i'm afraid, are long gone.

I suggest, purely from a neutral point of view, that anyone who wants to voice opinions on THE MAN Enoch Powell, they research his history and life first. I say this from a non political point of view.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Apr 18, 2018, 9:41 AM

Post #6 of 16 (1578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheWavendonian] Radio 4 Extra Programme [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Appreciate your comment. That's what I was aiming for : sure there's plenty in the material to arouse strident thinking - and in some ways there's nowt wrong with that.

Just at the end of the day when everyone's shouted their piece, you then have to say...' Right. Everyone's got that off their chest - now what are we actually going to do about it?'

Might disagree with you that politicians back then were faceless. I think many such as Barbra Castle, Roy Jenkins, Anthony Barber and Peter Walker and so on were anything but faceless : look at the way their actions changed the nature of the country (will let others decide for good or ill).

However, they didn't live in an age of 24/7 media and incessant social chit chat online.

For all the advantages that such bring, I'd agree it has brought politics back (?) down to a shouting match.

And entirely agree with your last line. As with many public figures he is a man of many parts : some to like, some to admire, some to hate. Folk will have to come to a balanced judgement...and that's the skill.

TheWavendonian
Youth Team Star

Apr 18, 2018, 11:22 AM

Team(s): Anywhere picturesque making good tea

Post #7 of 16 (1559 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Radio 4 Extra Programme [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Agreed. By the way when i say faceless i mean people didn't really know back then what the politicians looked like. Maybe photos in newspapers of, as you say, Barbara Castle and the like but they weren't on the tv as they are now. That's if you had a tv. Because they weren't seen as much in the media, the policies and work they did mattered more than the smiley faces and shiny suits that people care about now.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Apr 18, 2018, 3:21 PM

Post #8 of 16 (1515 views)
Shortcut

Thank you to both Broodleyhoo and TheWavendonian for your most thoughtful and interesting posts.
I am now an old man but remember the days when politics was fun with talented and learned people.
I remember being at Eric Lubbock's win in Orpington in 1962 and admiring his winning speech. Equally, I was transfixed when I sat in the HoC and heard a speech from Powell.
Those days are gone. The quality of today's politicians (they are NOT Parliamentarians) is poor to useless.
God help us in the future.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Apr 18, 2018, 3:47 PM

Post #9 of 16 (1505 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Radio 4 Extra Programme [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sure, back in the day there were still dozy Tories from the shires and useless Labour lads promoted by Buggins turn from union ranks - and they were as useless as some of today's wastes of space.

But somehow - is it our age? (I'm a child of the 50s) - politicians back then seemed to have more gravitas...but I do think a lot might be down to the all pervasive nature of twitter and 24/7 rolling news. Nye Bevan and Churchill's tweets might certainly have been interesting!

And fun - sure...was pulling down and/or defacing your oppos posters on the town notice board then more or less fun than running a dodgy facebook campaign? I'd guess about equal.

C'est la vie !

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 18, 2018, 6:53 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #10 of 16 (1460 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Sure, back in the day there were still dozy Tories from the shires and useless Labour lads promoted by Buggins turn from union ranks - and they were as useless as some of today's wastes of space.

But somehow - is it our age? (I'm a child of the 50s) - politicians back then seemed to have more gravitas...but I do think a lot might be down to the all pervasive nature of twitter and 24/7 rolling news. Nye Bevan and Churchill's tweets might certainly have been interesting!

And fun - sure...was pulling down and/or defacing your oppos posters on the town notice board then more or less fun than running a dodgy facebook campaign? I'd guess about equal.

C'est la vie !

Oh for those days when MPs held public meetings at election time and you could heckle them.

cope1

Apr 26, 2018, 10:30 PM

Post #11 of 16 (1165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Climate Change] Radio 4 Programme [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Could someone give me the name of the programme? I'd like to see if it's available on their website.

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 26, 2018, 11:02 PM

Post #12 of 16 (1151 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Radio 4 Programme [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Could someone give me the name of the programme?.

The greatest politician to ever grace Wolverhampton.

dottirofhod

Apr 26, 2018, 11:11 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #13 of 16 (1147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Climate Change] Radio 4 Programme [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sir Geoffrey le Mesurier Mander ?

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 138/ 114 / 24(You know my rules) @ 13 /12 /2018.(Only 10 x 0-0's)

Project TFTTUEFAG's2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).
Need - 108 ( 15.2%).

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 26, 2018, 11:18 PM

Post #14 of 16 (1138 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Radio 4 Programme [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sir Geoffrey le Mesurier Mander ?

Nah.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 26, 2018, 11:25 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #15 of 16 (1130 views)
Shortcut

Rastus Odinga Odinga ?

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 27, 2018, 3:52 PM

Post #16 of 16 (999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Radio 4 Programme [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Must be John Baird.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3