IN

Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Help identifying pre-1964 National Sunday Cup competitions

London Harrier
First Team Star

Apr 12, 2018, 2:16 PM

Post #1 of 1 (320 views)
Shortcut
Help identifying pre-1964 National Sunday Cup competitions Can't Post or Reply Privately

I read John Treleven’s excellent background piece on the FA Sunday Cup.

http://nonleaguematters.co.uk/...sunday%20cup;#288794

As I understand it, the Sunday Cup began in 1964-65. So I’m intrigued by the following newspaper articles:

Portsmouth Evening News - Monday 28 February 1955: Three Sunday Football League teams from Hampshire, one representing Portsmouth, will among those competing for a national Sunday Cup next season. The competition, which will be on a regional basis, will be organized by the national council of the Sunday Football League.

Portsmouth Evening News - Saturday 19 November 1955: The City of Portsmouth Sunday F.A. team play Hackney and Leyton in the National Sunday Football Cup competition in London tomorrow.

Daily Herald - Saturday 10 November 1956: Essex Combination and Edmonton District, Southern favourites for the National Sunday Football Cup (sponsored by the Daily Herald) meet In the second round tomorrow at The Arena, Church Elm-lane, Dagenham

MOVING ON WE HAVE...

Coventry Evening Telegraph – Saturday 25 June 1960: “A national Sunday Cup competition is expected to be sanctioned at the 10th annual meeting of the Sunday FA at Peterborough. This meeting will also discuss whether or not to accept the offered affiliation to the FA

Sports Argus – Saturday December 1960: “Aston Rangers, representing the Festival League, crushed Budapest, an all-Hungarian team based in Mansfield by 8-1 in the first round of the new national Sunday cup competition. Article attached.

Sports Argus – Saturday 02 March 1962: “Another tough test for Sunday Alliance side Erdington Liberals in the National Sunday Cup. They travel to Newcastle on March 11 to meet Blue Bell, a middle of the table North East League team. I think this is the farthest any team from Birmingham has travelled for competitive football.” Article attached.

Which begs the questions, what “national Sunday cup(s)” are being referred to here?

]

Attachments: Erdington Liberals.JPG (18.7 KB)
  Aston Rangers.JPG (75.0 KB)

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3