Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Clapton FC - London Cup and Old Spotted Dog 1880s

London Harrier
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2018, 10:46 AM

Post #1 of 7 (619 views)
Shortcut
Clapton FC - London Cup and Old Spotted Dog 1880s Can't Post or Reply Privately

I’m researching the early years of Clapton FC, specifically why they moved from Hackney to the Old Spotted Dog in 1887.

Various online sources state the following:

“It was the founding of the London FA that introduced Clapton FC to the Spotted Dog, The Tons played an LFA Cup match against City Albion who had a pitch in the field just north of the Dog. The tenants of the Dog were St Bartholomew’s Hospital who were about to vacate, so Clapton obtained a lease from the owner, Mrs Vause. It was a bold step, the rent was £35 a year, whilst the club’s annual income amounted to £40.”

Does anyone have a record of Clapton playing a team called City Albion in the 1880s London Cup competitions? Or a record of where City Albion would have played? I can’t find details of this club in the British Newspaper Archive, aside from a couple of fleeting references after 1890.

Any help on this one would be hugely appreciated.

]

(This post was edited by London Harrier on Apr 10, 2018, 10:47 AM)

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 10, 2018, 11:37 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #2 of 7 (593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Clapton FC - London Cup and Old Spotted Dog 1880s [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sporting Life 20/8/1890 reports on a meeting to discuss the formation of the club, held at the Exchange Tavern. Many prominent city gentlemen voiced their support. "A strong committee was formed from members of Leyton Rovers FC and St Mildred's cricket club and the late Bedford Rovers. A good private ground has been secured at Leyton."

One newspaper has two matches listed. One line-up adds "dress at the Star Coffee Tavern, High Street, Leyton", the other "dressing-room Cooper's Lane"

London Harrier
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2018, 11:55 AM

Post #3 of 7 (580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Clapton FC - London Cup and Old Spotted Dog 1880s [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Sporting Life 20/8/1890 reports on a meeting to discuss the formation of the club, held at the Exchange Tavern. Many prominent city gentlemen voiced their support. "A strong committee was formed from members of Leyton Rovers FC and St Mildred's cricket club and the late Bedford Rovers. A good private ground has been secured at Leyton."

One newspaper has two matches listed. One line-up adds "dress at the Star Coffee Tavern, High Street, Leyton", the other "dressing-room Cooper's Lane"

Thanks, Paul. I saw this reference, which only adds to the mystery. If City Albion were formed circa 1890, I don't see how they could have played Clapton prior to late 1887, and therefore influenced a move to the Old Spotted Dog.

I've emailed the London FA to see if they have any records.

]

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 10, 2018, 11:58 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #4 of 7 (579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Clapton FC - London Cup and Old Spotted Dog 1880s [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I see that City Albion was a cricket club going back to the 1860s. I don't know if there was a connection.

London Harrier
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2018, 12:00 PM

Post #5 of 7 (578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Clapton FC - London Cup and Old Spotted Dog 1880s [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I see that City Albion was a cricket club going back to the 1860s. I don't know if there was a connection.

Good point. Certainly of intrigue.

]

Straw Plaiter
Junior Team Star

Apr 10, 2018, 4:55 PM

Team(s): Luton Town

Post #6 of 7 (533 views)
Shortcut

Why did Clapton move to the Spotted Dog Ground in 1887? I refer the Athletic News of the 11th October 1887 which says - "They now have an excellent enclosed ground at the Spotted Dog. Upton Park, where a good gate can be obtained."
This indicates to me that their previous ground was not enclosed so difficult or impossible (if it was a public park) to charge admission.
As an example - In 1884 Luton Wanderers entered the F.A. Cup and drew Old Etonians at home. As their ground was in People's Park they moved to an enclosed ground in Dallow Lane. A wise move as they game drew 2,000 spectators and the resultant admission money.

London Harrier
First Team Star

Apr 11, 2018, 9:55 AM

Post #7 of 7 (461 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Straw Plaiter] Clapton FC - London Cup and Old Spotted Dog 1880s [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Why did Clapton move to the Spotted Dog Ground in 1887? I refer the Athletic News of the 11th October 1887 which says - "They now have an excellent enclosed ground at the Spotted Dog. Upton Park, where a good gate can be obtained."
This indicates to me that their previous ground was not enclosed so difficult or impossible (if it was a public park) to charge admission.
As an example - In 1884 Luton Wanderers entered the F.A. Cup and drew Old Etonians at home. As their ground was in People's Park they moved to an enclosed ground in Dallow Lane. A wise move as they game drew 2,000 spectators and the resultant admission money.

Thanks for this.

According to the various books / online sources (e.g. Clapton Football Club – 100 Year History) Clapton’s previous ground at Elm Farm was enclosed, for which they paid a £10 a year rent.

A parallel query (which I should have articulated in the original post) is why a Hackney based club would move the considerable distance (in London terms) of nearly five miles east from their spiritual home to Upton.

]

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3