Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Cricket Ball Tampering

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 28, 2018, 9:03 PM

Post #26 of 39 (1984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Cricket Ball Tampering [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lehmann has finally spoken, saying we need to be less hard headed on the field. "Stop butting heads"

But goes into say he feels sorry for the lads caught, comes across as being as sorry for them as for it happening.

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 29, 2018, 7:43 AM

Post #27 of 39 (1920 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TroubleAtMill] Cricket Ball Tampering [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Warner has apologised for stain on game.

I'm expecting him to appeal decision, as it would be in character, and he's going to consult his closest advisers. Doubt he'd take it without a fight.

Steve_HFC
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 29, 2018, 12:58 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth

Post #28 of 39 (1874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TroubleAtMill] Cricket Ball Tampering [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For me, the fact that Bancroft and Smith have made statements this morning in front of the Australian media and Warner has hidden behind social media speaks volumes. I think there's still more to come out of this - and it'll be interesting to see what Warner says "in a few days time" as he said in his twitter statement. There is part of me that wonders if Warner is going to retire and walk away from the game.

My opinion is that Bancroft and Smith are both genuinely remorseful, and seem prepared to take their punishments on the chin. I know, from reading social media this morning, there are some who believe Smith has turned the taps on to try and gain sympathy. I don't think that's the case - to me he looked a broken man this morning, a broken man who knows he's made a serious error of judgement.

I think the Cricket Australia punishments are right, the ICC punishment is also correct within their current guidelines. However, what is most important right now, given the state Smith was clearly in today, is that all three players get the support they need to deal with the situation emotionally & mental, and I know a number of cricket people have said this as well

What I do think will come out of this is that players behaviour will change - New Zealand are the example everyone else needs to follow, the way they've played the game over the past few years has been so refreshing, and they are certainly my 2nd favourite team after England at the moment.

It'll be interesting to see what the atmosphere towards the Aussies is like at Johannesburg tomorrow morning. I'll certainly be watching with interest.

Steve_HFC
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 29, 2018, 1:03 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth

Post #29 of 39 (1871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steve_HFC] Cricket Ball Tampering [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And just as I post that - Lehmann resigns!

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 29, 2018, 2:47 PM

Post #30 of 39 (1839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steve_HFC] Cricket Ball Tampering [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Australian Cricketers Association criticisms already out, criticising Cricket Australia for not following due process and for severity of sanctions against the 3.

In other words the 3 are now victims whose punishments should be reduced.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Mar 30, 2018, 11:59 AM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #31 of 39 (1734 views)
Shortcut

Indeed - I thought the year and 9 month bans were about right.

If they really felt for the spirit of the game (sic) they's just "take it like a man" serve out their time, enjoy themselves in grade cricket and rehabilitate themselves that way.

But the words of the ACA seem to be pointing down the line that the problem wasn't the ball tampering but that they got caught doing it.

Do feel a bit bad for Bancroft...given the pressure he was under from skipper and vice, it would have taken an exceptional subordinate member of squad to say 'sorry skip, that's not for me'

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 30, 2018, 1:05 PM

Post #32 of 39 (1718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Cricket Ball Tampering [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm amused by all the fake crying they're doing. Totally see through PR once caught that is.

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 31, 2018, 7:24 AM

Post #33 of 39 (1654 views)
Shortcut

Warner crying now, proves the fake tears point I think.

Sorry cheated - no
Sorry caught cheating - yes

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 1, 2018, 12:53 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #34 of 39 (1197 views)
Shortcut

The ban, it seems, does not preclude playing T20 cricket in Canada, presumably for good money. Smith describes this as "part of my rehab".

Some punishment. Unbelievable.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 2, 2018, 2:36 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #35 of 39 (1151 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Cricket Ball Tampering [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The ban, it seems, does not preclude playing T20 cricket in Canada, presumably for good money. Smith describes this as "part of my rehab".

Yes. When is a ban not a ban.

The Sri Lankans seem to have managed a more grown up attitude to being caught tampering in the West Indies (or the Windies as we are now supposed say, apparently). The Board have said they disagree with the verdict but that, once found guilty, the coaching and playing staff should have accepted it and got on with the game. Ironically the two-hour stand-off that ensued may well have cost them a chance of winning the match. Remarkably no one seems to have burst into tears at any stage.

AndyE
First Team Star

Jul 3, 2018, 12:47 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #36 of 39 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Cricket Ball Tampering [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The ban covers international cricket and first class cricket in Australia. Cricket Australia doesn't have the power to exclude the three from first class cricket in other countries, although the ECB chose also to exclude them from county cricket in England for this year, while club cricket was deliberately excluded.

That's because Cricket Australia wants - with an element of requires - the three to play club cricket in Australia next season so that they don't forget how to bat and bowl. Smith and Warner will play for the clubs in Sydney to which they were already attached, and Bancroft will play in Perth. (Grade cricket in Perth has a rule that anyone suspended from first class cricket can't play in it, but they've made a special case at the request of Cricket Australia.)

As for club cricket in other countries, I know that clubs in England did consider signing at least two of the three for the current season - but decided that it would be a PR disaster and so didn't pursue it. I'm not sure that Cricket Australia really envisaged the three going off to play for big money in Toronto, but it would be an unlawful restraint of trade if it actually forbade them to. Only Cricket Canada has the power to exclude them from its competition, and has chosen not to.

Ropemaker

Jul 4, 2018, 4:55 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #37 of 39 (1024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Cricket Ball Tampering [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

ICC has increased maximum ban for ball tampering to six tests or 12 ODIs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/44690302

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 4, 2018, 7:26 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #38 of 39 (996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Cricket Ball Tampering [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Warner has now been appointed captain of Winnipeg Hawks by the coach, that bastion of morality and integrity, Waqar Younis.

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

Tim

Jul 4, 2018, 8:46 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #39 of 39 (977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Cricket Ball Tampering [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
ICC has increased maximum ban for ball tampering to six tests or 12 ODIs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/44690302

I just don't get this. If the captain of a national side deliberately cheats or instructs others in his side to cheat, he or she should never play professional cricket again. If upholding this sort of integrity is no longer part of cricket, we might as well all give up with the concept of 'sport' and think up a new name for it, which encompasses cheating, making lots of money and all the other stuff I dislike.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3