First Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 10:29 AM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #76 of 210 (3491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Season extension?? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Unfortunately some leagues never learn.

1874 Northwich had played just FOUR league games by the end of September. By the end of October they had only played 8 league games.

Play more mid weeks early in the season! Its simple! We know the weather has the potential to get messy after Christmas! NEVER rely on January and February to play catch up.

22 league games in 40 days. Half a season in the final 2 months makes a mockery of the league.

Agree to a large extent, but clubs also need to take some responsibility. It's all very well going on a Cup jolly, but basic common sense should have told them that these are in addition to, and not instead of, a pre-arranged 42/46-game League programme which they are duty bound to honour.

Every season without fail sees a handful of clubs having to play every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday for weeks on end (this season's main contenders being Heybridge Swifts) and in a lot of cases, this could be avoided by getting their priorities right and exercising a bit of common sense.

Perhaps we need to reduce the size of ALL divisions to say, 16 or 18 maximum - in how many other countries are clubs at this comparable level required to play more games than their respective top-flight sides?

Sarumio
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 13, 2018, 10:45 AM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #77 of 210 (3468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Season extension?? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You're right of course, the clubs MUST take some of the responsibility.

1874 Northwich knew they were in an enlarged division this season and that they had to play 44 league games this season. They knew there was a League Cup which they could not escape from and they knew they were entering the FA Cup and Vase.

So why enter two county cups as well. Are County Cups not optional?

A season should be played over a season - consistent and regular as that time frame is what determines who is the best club over that timeframe - not who is the best club in MARCH AND APRIL.

markust
Youth Team Regular

Mar 13, 2018, 10:54 AM

Post #78 of 210 (3449 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

One is a county cup, the other a district cup.

The county cup is not optional, if it were I'm sure Crewe Alex wouldn't go anywhere near it.

The district cup is optional, but the gate receipts fund local kids tournaments. Withdrawing may still happen, but would not be ideal. There's been no games in this so far and it could also be played post/pre season.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 13, 2018, 10:59 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #79 of 210 (3442 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
You're right of course, the clubs MUST take some of the responsibility.

1874 Northwich knew they were in an enlarged division this season and that they had to play 44 league games this season. They knew there was a League Cup which they could not escape from and they knew they were entering the FA Cup and Vase.

A season should be played over a season - consistent and regular as that time frame is what determines who is the best club over that timeframe - not who is the best club in MARCH AND APRIL.

To my knowledge, the Cheshire FA have a fine for member clubs who don't enter their county cup. I'm not sure the district FA have the same rule. It's all very well saying "so why enter two county cups" but the number of games 1874 have played in FA competitions is fairly unusual. If they had been knocked out in the first couple of rounds of those, the county cups would have provided some interest for fans at the end of the season. Their more major issue has been problems with Winsford's pitch, partly no doubt brought on by two teams playing on it, but partly by old drainage under the pitch which has collapsed.

I suspect they could pull out of the Mid Cheshire Cup, which would save one game.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

Geoff
Reserve Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 11:36 AM

Post #80 of 210 (3381 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Season extension?? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have thought for a long time that the various district and similar cups should not start until after Christmas. This would enable clubs with no fixture pile up and who would like a few extra matches during the last three months of the season to choose to enter.
As an added bonus the clubs who did enter, who would one assumes have little else to play for, might take the competition seriously (everyone likes to win something) thus boosting interest in the competition.

willesden
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 13, 2018, 11:48 AM

Team(s): Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon + NW London Non League

Post #81 of 210 (3365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geoff] Season extension?? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Iím probably going to get booed out of town, but this is why we should get rid of all Cup replays and play to a result on the day.

noprogs
First Team Regular

Mar 13, 2018, 11:51 AM

Team(s):

Post #82 of 210 (3359 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Season extension?? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I hate all these mid-week fixtures early on simply because you never get a break from the game and players don't get time to recover from knocks but of course it makes sense.

No different to what it will be like in the next few weeks then.
And the quality of the football suffers too.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 13, 2018, 11:52 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #83 of 210 (3355 views)
Shortcut
Re: [willesden] Season extension?? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Iím probably going to get booed out of town, but this is why we should get rid of all Cup replays and play to a result on the day.

Booooo!

Actually I'm in favour of this in the FA Vase, mainly because replays often mean overly long midweek trips for Step 5/6 clubs, or another Saturday out of the schedule. As for district cups, I'm more in favour of them being used as a pre-season competition.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

agamemnon3
Junior Team Regular

Mar 13, 2018, 12:32 PM

Post #84 of 210 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Booooo !

I couldn't disagree with you more on this --- for a smaller club being drawn away to a bigger club in a cup competition, holding out for a draw and 'bringing them back to our place' is and has been a legitimate strategy ever since the game began. Playing to a result on the day can only ever favour the stronger club.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 13, 2018, 12:44 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #85 of 210 (3264 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In the Vase this should become standard practice but never should it happen in the FAC for the reasons given by others.

willesden
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 13, 2018, 1:01 PM

Team(s): Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon + NW London Non League

Post #86 of 210 (3229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Season extension?? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am very much a traditionalist but also a pragmatist.

How much money do you really think a replay makes a club after expenses? OK one in a thousand may, like Newport and Rochdale going to Wembley, but generally they make nothing, often a loss.

Try thinking of the club and those running and working voluntary for them. The amount of work that goes into staging such games puts stress on the workforce.

The players are put under extra work. Injuries build up.

Itís not just about groundhoppers, and God forbid there not being a full programme and service at the ground.

I see it both sides as a former programme editor at Scarborough Athletic and a current volunteer at Hendon who struggle for enough hands.

Without the replays, league games could be scheduled on those nice midweeks at the start of the season and allow for bad weather further down the line and to allow players and volunteers a bit of a lesser workload when they desperately need it.

markust
Youth Team Regular

Mar 13, 2018, 1:31 PM

Post #87 of 210 (3161 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Season extension?? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
To my knowledge, the Cheshire FA have a fine for member clubs who don't enter their county cup.

Actually, if you don't enter you do get fined, then Cheshire FA enter you anyway.

kirby knitters

Mar 13, 2018, 1:42 PM

Post #88 of 210 (3127 views)
Shortcut

'Try thinking of the club and those running and working voluntary for them'?

I do and it is these games that make it it all worthwhile for all concerned. Don't tend to take much on the gate early rounds but the prize money more than makes up for that with a win or two in the FAC.

We beat Leicester Road in a replay last season and it was a great night all round.

paulh66

Mar 13, 2018, 1:57 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #89 of 210 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Clubs already have the option to dispense with replays in the Vase but very few take it, which suggests replays are generally not considered to be a problem. Especially as the first game always has extra time if level at 90 minutes, thus reducing the likelihood of a replay anyway.

Northwich's backlog seems to be the result of a perfect storm of an oversized league, a groundshare using a pitch that's not the greatest at the best of times, exceptionally good runs with an unusually high level of replays in both FA competitions, and the annoying habit of the rain gods to do their worst to us in the run up to Tuesdays and Saturdays. It is rather an exceptional case.

For these reasons, I don't see replays as a particular priority to be tackled, if an issue at all.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 4:00 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #90 of 210 (2948 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I am very much a traditionalist but also a pragmatist.

How much money do you really think a replay makes a club after expenses? OK one in a thousand may, like Newport and Rochdale going to Wembley, but generally they make nothing, often a loss.

It's not that particular replay that is the money maker, it's the prize money that comes with a victory in the replay that would have been unlikely when playing away, especially if going to extra time and the like. That said, in keeping with other comments, I'd much prefer the FA Cup to retain replays and for the Vase/Trophy to be decided on the day.

simonsm
Youth Team Sub

Mar 13, 2018, 9:06 PM

Team(s):

Post #91 of 210 (2643 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Season extension?? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In my opinion replays should be be done away with, but mainly for the reason that I have seen so many examples where the home side battles against a bigger side, who had decided they didn't need to take it that seriously until the replay (eg, Droylsden v Leyton Orient in 2011 - battled to a 1-1 draw at home then played in the replay and battered 8-2). The Cup draw places one side at home and so they should play the whole tie at home, not just until 90 mins is up.

I know the opposite sometimes happens, but I'd consign replays to the dustbin, especially with the fixture congestion it generates. It is not only the club in the replay that has the extra game, it is the club they were due to play now having no game and then having to play another game later, through no fault of their own.

kirby knitters

Mar 13, 2018, 9:16 PM

Post #92 of 210 (2624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simonsm] Season extension?? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The FAC is played very early season for the majority of non league entrants and leagues are generally helpful in switching fixtures to prevent free Saturdays for any club that finds its self in such a situation.

agamemnon3
Junior Team Regular

Mar 14, 2018, 5:01 AM

Post #93 of 210 (2423 views)
Shortcut

Quite right, KK, most leagues are more than helpful. The SSM in particular regularly allow teams to postpone scheduled league fixtures in order to prepare for FAC or FAV ties.

I have some peripheral involvement with a Step 5 club, who earlier this season were drawn at home to a Step 6 club in the FAC. We didn't play very well on the day, and the Step 6 club came with a plan, defended well, and left with the draw that they came for. In the replay, three days later, while still not playing terribly well, we upped our game a little and won the tie on penalties after extra time. The Step 6 club, while obviously disappointed, were afterwards declaring what a great night it had been, and how they wouldn't have missed it for the world --- and the attendance that evening remains their best of the season to date by some margin.

And as for complaints, (earlier posts), about 'work' and 'stress' --- well if that's the issue, then let's not bother playing football matches at all --- and then there won't be any work, or any stress, will there ?

ARL
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 14, 2018, 1:12 PM

Team(s): Tring Town 1987-2003, Leverstock Green 2003-

Post #94 of 210 (2217 views)
Shortcut
Re: [agamemnon3] Season extension?? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Spartan South Midlands League has extended to Monday 7th May.

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 14, 2018, 4:20 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #95 of 210 (2063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ARL] Season extension?? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No replays? I don't keep a record, but that would be a couple of dozen of my 'ticks' gone!Wink

Grounds visited: 721
Last new ground: Kings Langley FC; CRY Community Stadium, Kings Langley, Hertfordshire. (Evo-Stik League South Premier Division)
Last game: Thursday 7th June 2018: Karpatalya 4, Szekely Land 2-at Carshalton Athletic FC. [CONIFA World Cup semi final]
Football matches watched this season: 142
2017/18-New English grounds: 11; & foreign: 8

simonsm
Youth Team Sub

Mar 14, 2018, 9:11 PM

Team(s):

Post #96 of 210 (1884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ARL] Season extension?? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cheshire League has tweeted this today:

Cheshire League
@CheshireFL
FIXTURES - The FA have approved a 2 week extension to the CFL season until 26 May 2018. #thankgoodness

(This post was edited by simonsm on Mar 14, 2018, 9:12 PM)

Digdagdog
Reserve Team Star

Mar 14, 2018, 10:49 PM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #97 of 210 (1762 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The FAC is played very early season for the majority of non league entrants

True, last three seasons the FAC has been Melksham's first competitive game of the season...probably explains our woeful record...

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19

thowdreds
Youth Team Star

Mar 15, 2018, 8:12 AM

Team(s): Accrington Stanley, Blackburn Rovers, BurnleyLeicester City, Halesowen Town

Post #98 of 210 (1584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Season extension?? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm just wondering what the comparison in terms of matches played is to the early 1970's when many teams were also involved in midweek floodlit leagues and cups in addition to their usual competitions. I know there weren't the same deadlines for the end of the season and matches were played in far worse conditions but would be interested if anyone has any comparable statistics.

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 15, 2018, 9:22 AM

Team(s): Fareham Town - THE CREEKSIDERS

Post #99 of 210 (1514 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thowdreds] Season extension?? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm just wondering what the comparison in terms of matches played is to the early 1970's when many teams were also involved in midweek floodlit leagues and cups in addition to their usual competitions. I know there weren't the same deadlines for the end of the season and matches were played in far worse conditions but would be interested if anyone has any comparable statistics.

Not the early 1970's, but in our glory season of 1986-87 where

We made the FA Cup 1st round
FA Trophy semi-finals
Hampshire Senior Cup Semi-finals
Our best ever run in the GMAC Cup!
The southern League cup was played on a league format

between August 16th 1986 and May 4th 1987

We played 42 league games the last of which of May 2nd
FA Cup 4 (including 1 replay)
FA Trophy 11 (including 1 replay and 1 2 legged tie)
Hampshire Senior Cup 4 the semi-final was played (and drawn on 18th March with the replay our final game on May 4th, with 20 league games and the 2 legged FAT semi final in between)
GMAC - 3 games
Southern League Cup - 7 (6 group matches and then the 2nd round knockout stage)

A total of 71 games.

A good job we made the Russell Cotes and Portsmouth Cup entries for our reserves that season.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor
www.facebook.com/nonleaguebins

A football club is for life, not just for trophies

kirby knitters

Mar 15, 2018, 9:44 AM

Post #100 of 210 (1478 views)
Shortcut

Leicestershire Senior League has been extended.

Premier Division. 12th May
Division 1. 19th May.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3