Mar 13, 2018, 4:12 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 44 (5672 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday 13th March Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunny Day

Pitch Sprinklers on before game and at half-time

Fleetwood 2 -AFC Fylde 0 Lancs Cup Semi Final 1pm ko

Standard was as expected from a development squad game, the best team winning with two second half goals. Played on grass at Fleetwood training centre.

leohoenig
Administrator

Mar 13, 2018, 4:53 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #2 of 44 (5628 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jim S] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Asian Champions League, Group H
Shanghai Shenhua 0-2 Suwon Bluewings
Admission CNY150. (Don't know the official price). Attendance 21,990

The Hongkou stadium is easily reached by Metro from the centre of Shanghai.
Before the game, I had a drink or two with Cameron Wilson of the Wildeastfootball website and podcast, and some of his friends.

I bought my ticket from a "scalper" while walking to the ground. I paid 150 for an upper tier on the East side, my line was about about 25 yards south of the centre line.

The stadium is football specific, and hence has no track. The stands are still curved though, with the whole ground being eliptical. The lower tier runs all the way around (except a couple of cut outs for access, and an over large central entrance), and then this is topped by a narrow section of corporate seats and boxes, which also wraps around, Behind the goals, there is a second layer of boxes, while on either side there is an upper tier with the number of rows increasing towards the centre.

Both ends have singing sections, but they are not in unison, and often sing against each other. The visiting fans (not many) had an upper tier corner to the North East. They were still able to make themselves heard from here. Just about everyone behind the goals and in the East stand stood throughout the game - this is at least three quarters of the crowd. I had no choice in the matter as it was either stand, or see nothing.

In the first half, there was very little to see anyway. While Shenhua had the bulk of the possession, they made little of it, and the better chances were created by the visitors. The second half was a much better spectacle, with Suwon changing their stance. In the first half I believe they were happy with the draw, but they now realised the game was there's for the taking. Kim Jongwoo threatened a back peddling keeper from a free kick on the left, but he just managed to paw it over. The next time, Kim Jongwoo broke on the left he cut it back for Dejan Damjanovic. The shot was soft and should have been saved. It wasn't

Both sides created a few chances, but Suwon's looked more threatening - still Freddy Guarin had a really good close range chance, which he managed to head softly to the keepers' arms. Shenhua's problem was they were one dimensional, bringing on Mao Jianqing may have opened up Suwon on the left, and he went on numerous runs that could have threatened - but without any backup, so his only option was to try to get the ball early, generally to Obafemi Martins, or to beat defenders who were too good for him. With more options, someone available for a short pass, there may have been an opening to create, but we only saw Mao either misplacing a cross or fouling the defender.

The seond goal, on 88 minutes was a thing of beauty. A long throw from Jang Ho-Ik found Damjanovic close to the neat post, he headed the ball back, where it was cushioned down by Waguininho into a perfect position for Choi Sung Kuen to score.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Karb
First Team Sub

Mar 13, 2018, 10:23 PM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #3 of 44 (5433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tamworth 0-0 Darlington
Admission £12, Programme £1 (normally £2.50 but price was reduced as the one from the postponed fixture 10 days ago was reused. Att: 584

First goalless draw of the season for me. The reduced programme price was a welcome bonus. Given that it was only 10 days since the original date, I would have been perfectly happy paying full price.

Some of the play was decent enough, but there weren't too many efforts on target. One or two bizarre decisions by the officials being the main talking points.

I was being the goal, in the Darlington end. The ground is decent enough, though I did get the slight feeling that somebody had been to B&Q and got a bit carried away. My one gripe would be that the height of the pitchside fencing,, coupled with the front row of terracing being out of bound to spectators, means that it isn't possible to see the goal line at the near end.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

bluearmybob
Reserve Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 10:31 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town FC since April 11th 1966.Groundhopping since January 28th 1989

Post #4 of 44 (5408 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Season ticket duty at Portman Rd. KO 7.45pm.

Sky Bet Championship.

IPSWICH TOWN 0 (0) v (2) HULL CITY 3

Scorers.

Home.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Away. M Henriksen (18) H Wilson (40) J Bowen (47)

Admission by season ticket. Programme £3. Attendance 13,031 ???. Away Fans 290.

GROUNDS VISITED.(356) NEW GROUNDS THIS SEASON 2018/19. (13)
GAMES THIS SEASON 2018/19. (23)
GAMES SINCE LAST 0-0. Ipswich Town v Bolton Wanderers. 22/09/18. (13) BEST RUN OF NOT SEEING A 0-0. (61)
LEAGUES COMPLETED. Championship. League 2. Isthmian League North. ECL Premier Division.
FOOTBALL SEEN IN:Bulgaria,Czech Republic,England,France,Greece,Guensey,Holland,Scotland,Switzerland,Turkey & Wales.

(This post was edited by bluearmybob on Mar 13, 2018, 10:32 PM)

Dribble!
Reserve Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 10:33 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #5 of 44 (5400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluearmybob] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

also at Ipswich v Hull City - very toxic atmosphere

Last New Ground; BAK 07 ( Berlin); Games in 2018/19 Season = 53; New Grounds this Season = 34 Next scheduled game: tbc

http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 13, 2018, 10:39 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #6 of 44 (5375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Combined Counties Premier
Epsom & Ewell 0-2 Balham
Adm £7, prog £2

The Salts' relegation worries deepen with this result but, assuming they do drop, it'll be their form in the first half of the season that seals it. The current side are a decent unit, easily mid-table in terms of quality, spirit and resilience I reckon, but sorely lacking a cutting edge up front. Against a more than useful Balham side they more than held their own but, after a non-event of a first half, fell behind to a header from a corner just after the break. They had chances to equalise but rarely troubled the Balham keeper before conceding a cruel second in the last minute, an attempted clearance by the keeper hitting the closing-down striker, leaving an empty net for him to easily roll the ball into.

Off the pitch it was a bit underwhelming really. A disappointingly low attendance, maybe around 25 with no noticeable Balham fans, a thinner than usual programme (though still a good read to be fair, from the original game in January plus an updated insert), a less than perfect half of the usually impeccable Ranmore ale, and a chillier night than I was expecting. Still, good to get some fresh air and, despite plenty of rainfall in recent days, the pitch (one of the better drainers around) stood up well.

stingray
First Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 10:48 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #7 of 44 (5344 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Midlands Premier
TRING ATHLETIC 0-2 WEMBLEY
Admission & Prog (reissue of original from 10/2 with folded A4 insert) £6.00 Cheeseburger & Pie £2.00 each Tea/Coffee £1.00 each
Attendance 46

With a heavy heart, I've decided that Saturday's game will be the last visit to la ferme du cloche for quite a while (at least until the so-called Red Army get bored and find something else to do). I found something else to do tonight and as I pulled into the car park I was greeted with something that few previous visits here have unearthed. A space - in fact, several. Unfortunately it was all downhill from then on as not only did I - and a couple of others - fall foul of the new ban on smoking in front of the clubhouse (serves me right for not having visited since Leighton's game in October) but the referee for reasons best known to him didn't start proceedings until nearly 7.55.

Wembley's visit to Leighton in November was marked by their hard, physical approach and it seems that this is their normal play. Constant niggly fouls made for a frustrating stop-start first half and I was surprised that the referee (John Wynne) didn't seem to allow any added on time at the end; my fear was he was one of those who added all of it on at the end of the second. Wembley's first goal was scored on 36 minutes and they doubled their lead in the second half which was marked by a nasty encounter resulting in the usual melee which saw the visitors reduced to ten by the dismissal of Adrian Dinham and further reduced by another red card for Zaia Sabyi. Only 5 mins 30 seconds added on at the end.

Three points for Wembley, but two red cards and their approach and attitude ensures that they're unlikely to have many friends in this league.

59 goals in 16 games
£157.50 spent.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 11:02 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #8 of 44 (5289 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National League South

Havant and Waterlooville 1 Wealdstone 0

Admission £13-00 Crazy programme yes attendance est 600
1st v 12th
Hawks hit top spot on Saturday and used their game in hand tonight to extend their lead to four points. If they continue to have luck like they did tonight then they are certain champions, although one has to say that they did stick at it against an obdurate Wealdstone side that deserved at least a share of the spoils.
The first half hour was all about the home side, looking lively and putting a lot of pressure on the visiting defence, which dealt with it very well. We had a big scramble in the Stones penalty area in the first minute but apart from that there were few chances for the Hawks. It was a hard battle, with some meaty tackles going in from both sides. New loanee right-back Sheppard impressed for the visitors, he did in fact have a couple of shots on goal, both easily saved by Young, but the intent was there. There was some good midfield and wing play by the home team, but Prior and Tubbs got little change out of the central defenders. As the first half went on the Stones looked more dangerous coming forward but at half time it was a definite 0-0.
The visitors were clearly the better team in the second half. Early on Fitchett had a shot saved and a flick from a corner by Pratt was also saved. Another Sheppard free kick bounced awkwardly in front of Young but the rebound off the keeper was put wide. On the hour a free-kick by Sheppard was met by a good header from Pratt towards the top corner and Young did superbly to get a touch and divert the ball onto the angle and clear. The home team were on the back foot most of the time but managed to hold firm, with the occasional break. On 81 mins there was a shout for a Stones penalty as Oshodi fell in the area, the ball was cleared, Hawks went up the other end, the first shot by Fogden was saved, but sub Rutherford scored the rebound. They continued to be put under pressure as the visitors looked for an equaliser but only really had any problems in injury time, when a good cross by sub Bubb was headed just over by Pratt, and a corner came back to Ngamvoulou, whose cross-shot was only just wide. We had some impressive handbags in the corner right at the end, with only yellow cards produced, as the final whistle went to confirm an undeserved but vital win for the home team. Wealdstone's selection may have hinted at their forthcoming Trophy semi-final on Saturday, but their performance did not - they looked a very good side, I gather consistency is their main problem this season.
No changes at West Leigh Park since my last visit over a year ago, the pitch was much better than at that time, although it did cut up a bit. Not a good idea to let players warm up on it.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Mar 13, 2018, 11:17 PM)

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 11:04 PM

Post #9 of 44 (5279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wellington 1 Hereford Lads Club 3

Wellington Playing Fields: Herefordshire County Challenge Cup Semi-Final

This fixture was finally taking place at the third time of asking after being postponed firstly due to freezing temperatures and then because the home club's changing facilities were affected by burst pipes caused by the thawing process after the recent snowfall. The winners of this evening's tie would face either holders Hereford or Herefordshire County League Premier Division club Ewyas Harold in the final. That semi-final clash has also been delayed and will be played at Edgar Street on Tuesday 27th Match. This evening's protagonists came into the match next to each other in the West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division and were meeting for the third time this meeting. Lads Club had completed a league double over the local rivals having one their previous encounters this term by a 2-1 scoreline. The villagers found themselves in twelfth place in the Premier Division before kick-off this evening and had lost 3-1 at home to high-flying Black country Rangers in their last outing just over a fortnight ago. The visitors were one place and one point about Wellington in the table but had played two more league fixtures than their count rivals. Hereford Lads Club previous outing, also over two weeks ago, resulted in a narrow 2-1 derby victory at city rivals Pegasus Juniors to consolidate their position in mid-table as their inaugural campaign draws towards its final stages. This was my first visit too Wellington since just before Christmas when the host 4-0 to Cradley Town in the Premier Division Cup.

The the opening stages of this tie were keenly contested and relatively even, with the visitors going close from a 25 yard free-kick in the 16th minute, before Wellington should have taken the lead five minutes later but a home player headed over the target from close range when it seemed to be easier to score. The villagers eventually broke the deadlock in the 37th minute when the Lads Club goalkeeper punched a corner straight to a Wellington player and the loose ball was turned home from close range by Andy Price. The visitors were only behind for two minutes when the home custodian flapped at a free-kick and Jamie Cuuthertson pounced on the mistake to equalise. The Hereford outfit took the lead two minute before the interval when Ashley Lear drove towards the byline and his low cross was successfully converted at the far post by Adam Hockey. The hosts looked to get in the game after the interval and went close to scoring in the 59th minute following a break down the right flank and a gross into the Lads Club penalty area before striking a free-kick straight at visiting goalkeeper Steve Bell. The Hereford men then clipped the top of the Wellington crossbar from the edge of the penalty area in the 66th minute before the villagers saw a close range header diverted over the crossbar by a Lads Club defender just two minute later. The visitors virtually sealed their place in the final when a 78th minute spot kick was successfully converted by Rory Worthing and it appeared the hosts had too much too do to get ball in the tie. Wellington fired wide from the edge of the penalty area after a quickly taken 87th minute corner but by then it was too late to change the outcome of this match.

2017/18 Statistics
Goals: 581
Matches: 138.5
New Grounds: 14

Dr Love
First Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 11:09 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #10 of 44 (5263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

AFC Stoneham 1-3 United Services Portsmouth
Wessex 1st Division

The hosts had most of the possession, but struggled to get the better of the visiting defence. United Services forced the one decent save of the first half, before scoring twice around the hour mark. Stoneham had a chance almost imediately to pull one back, but their striker hit the ball wide with just the keeper to beat. They did score in the 87th minute, but were caught out again in injury time.

Notes in the programme say the club are hopeful of being on their new ground in time for the 19/20 season.

Windy
Reserve Team Star

Mar 14, 2018, 4:02 AM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 44 (4986 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Or for me, where didnít I go !!!!

After a few weeks of frustrating postponements, an abandoned match, late changes of plan etc, I dodged two bullets in one day.

Was originally going to go to the UEFA Youth League match between Tottenham Hotspur and Porto at Stevenage, but couldnít go as the wife had a hospital appointment. The match appeared to be switched from Stevenage to Spurs training ground without any announcements on the website or twitter pages, so I would have gone to the wrong ground which I assumed might well have happened to many who wanted to see the match. Bullet dodged number 1.

In the evening I was planning to go to AFC Rushden and Diamonds but I saw that the match was called off mid afternoon, so my plans changed to go to Spalding, but a dozing off at 4 followed by a case of Ďcbaí when I woke up meant that I didnít go, and later in the evening I looked to see that the match was abandoned with 9 minutes left due to a player from the home team being seriously injured. Bullet dodged number 2.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 14, 2018, 4:15 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #12 of 44 (4970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Or for me, where didnít I go !!!!

After a few weeks of frustrating postponements, an abandoned match, late changes of plan etc, I dodged two bullets in one day.

===========================================

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 132/ 108 / 24(You know my rules) @ 12 /12 /2018.(Only 9 x 0-0's)

Project TFTTUEFAG's2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).
Need - 108 ( 15.2%).

Barnsley Dave
First Team Star

Mar 14, 2018, 7:42 AM

Team(s): Barnsley ,non league football,Yorkshire C.C, ,,wherever I lay my hat

Post #13 of 44 (4768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Worcester Park 7 Badshot Lea 1 CCL 1 at Bedfont Sports
Admission £5
Programme £2 24 colour pages plenty of facts but light on reading material
Cheeseburger £2.50 available in the lovely clubhouse as the tea bar wasn't open
Top v 2nd promised an interesting game and so it turned out in more ways than one
Badshot Lea started well scoring early but it was all downhill after that. A Worcester Park player threw the ball behind him after a foul was given against them but unbeknown to him a BL player was a foot or so away. Cue ball hitting him in the face and the handbags started. Thumgood the captain for BL seemed to raise his hands and aim a bit of a slap at a WP player which the assistant spotted and off he went using Anglo-Saxon words freely aimed at the ref and assistant as he did so while the original culprit was booked which I thought was the right decision
WP soon made numerical advantage count and went in 2-1 up at half time
Second half after an even 10 minutes it got a whole lot worse for BL as WP started scoring freely including a superb lob from halfway by Mark Waters for the 6th goal. WP were playing some great football and it ended up 7-1 but could easily have been 10
Hard to say what would have happened if it remained 11 v 11 but WP look a pretty good side playing great football and having scored 108 goals in the league already. Shame they can't move higher due to ground restrictions talking of which I'm sure I heard someone from BL saying they'd bought a stand from Dorking Wanderers
All in all a good night at a ground that is getting more and more impressive each season with the exception of the car park which gets full quickly and ends up with some idiot parking so badly it was hard for larger cars to squeeze through the gap
Good company from Jim and Steve as well on a night that got quite chilly meaning the beanie made an appearanceWink

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Mar 14, 2018, 7:59 AM

Post #14 of 44 (4739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

....Whilst Leighton Buzzard's finest was elsewhere decided that La Ferme du Cloche would be the evenings destination for...

Leighton Town 0 v 0 Berkhamsted - Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division
Prog 24 pages £1.00 - Admission £6.00 - Att 176

....And as can be seen from above, The Noughts programme of vengeance continues. Having achieved nearly 7 months of the season without them inflicting a goalless game, this was the 4th occurrence of the dreaded in 32 days.

In the annals of noughts, this was not a reasonable enough contest, contested to the full by both teams but perhaps given the importance of the contest in who will accompany WGC up to Level 4 this season, it was not surprising that there would be a lack of goals. The visitors especially in the second half were very adept at wasting time and it again it did not surprise that the man in black added on 9 minutes of stoppage time.

The fact that Berkhamsted chose to waste so much time was a pity, because off the two teams they looked the more capable. The object that you felt sorry for during the first half was the ball as it never had a chance to draw breath in what was one of the most frantic and untidy halves seen for a long time. Both teams had half(ish) chances and towards the end of the first period, Berkhamsted had a big shout for a penalty waved away by the ref who adjudged that Morrissey, clear on the right but off balance was particularly theatrical in his fall down.

The visitors were far more convincing in the second half and for much of the period, it was looking only a matter of time before they took the lead. However, the opener simply did not arrive. Campbell was unfortunate on two occasions firstly when he was clear on goal but Wyant narrowed the angle and pushed away and secondly when an excellent chip from him was dipping under the bar but Wyant just managed to tip the effort onto the top of the bar. With minutes left Berkhamsted thought they had won the contest with a deft chip into the middle being met by a downward header from Coughlan that beat Wyant. With the Berkhamsted entourage already in celebratory mode Hall just managed to curl his foot around and spectacularly hook the ball to safety. Throughout the second half, there was an equivalent level of effort from Leighton, but I cannot recall anything other than half chances, what did not assist their cause was countless crosses and corners struck into the heart of the penalty area but the impressive Berkhamsted defence had few problems in clearing on every occasion.

First visit to Bell Close for approx 6 years and the stand had been spruced up with new seats. Decent turnout for this local derby, with Stingray's favourite sons of Leighton in full voice. Not sure if I caught them on a good day as they are no better or worse than a hundred bunches of kids who decide temporarily to embrace ultra culture and then when the novelty wears off abandon and decide that their evenings are better spent elsewhere. What did assist is that the Red Army have their own pitch at the far end and do not move for the entire duration. File under mildly irritating rather than unpleasant.

Nasty shock in store en route when I was fleeced £16.80 for a CDR between the edge of Boundary 6 of the Travelcard Zone and this included the obligatory Gold Card discount. London Midland have in place a Peak Hours Fare scheme obviously designed to keep anyone but their own season ticket holders off their peak hour trains. I can see the rationale but other TOC's do not employ such sledgehammer tactics and any London Midland Gold Card holder taking in say Bowers or Canvey's game last night would have not have been charged a premium fare on c2c. Another example of the fragmentory nature of our railways now that different companies have completely different rules. Rant over.

Return journey largely went to plan and a rare turn of pace from fifty and a lot legs at Liverpool Street saw the 23.27 departure just caught. Indoors at 00.20.......

PaulC

Mar 14, 2018, 8:07 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #15 of 44 (4726 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scottish FA Cup - Quarter Final
Kilmarnock 1-1 Aberdeen (after extra time. 0-0 90 mins, 2-3 pens)
Attendance 9,000 (1,500 from Aberdeen)
Admission £20/£10

A dire 90 minutes. Much better extra time.

People pay £20 to watch this!? £10 for wrinklies was good though.

How they would have squeezed another 9,000 into Rugby Park would have required a Stephen Hawking solution.

Great atmosphere - and respect to the large number of Aberdeen fans for making the long journey.. Not many would be back in the city before 2 am.

"One team in Ayrshire". Bah, humbug.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Mar 14, 2018, 8:12 AM)

Digdagdog
First Team Sub

Mar 14, 2018, 8:20 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #16 of 44 (4685 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barnsley Dave] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Evo-Stik Southern East
Powerday Stadium
Hanwell Town 1 Hayes and Yeading United 4
Admission: £8 Programme: Issued but run out when I got there Attendance: 141

First visit to Hanwell to a ground whose floodlights I'd seen often from the A40 to see a visit from the the in-form visitors. I like the ground and clubhouse and its easy to get to from road (A40) or public transport (LUL Perivale). A reasonably mild evening and a pitch that played OK throughout although it was clearly wet.
This was an object lesson for the home side; if Plan A doesn't work, don't keep battering away on Plan A! A frantic opening period saw possession won and ceded; the home side looked less comfortable with the ball and almost every single potential attack went down the right channel. Once sussed, the away side controlled matters. They have a very competent team and dealt easily with anything that the home side concocted.
On the other hand, they were also dangerous going forward and scored a fine goal on 15 from their mobile CF one-on-one. Things got worse on 34 when a square ball was converted into the bottom corner past a static back-line. HT 0-2.
Second half showed the home side putting up some fight as they changed the (clearly not working) tactics and went more direct. However all the effort went to nought when a fluffed clearance resulted in the ball returning to the edge of the home area and the away player curled a beauty into the bottom corner. A free-kick on 66 saw some respite and a glimmer of hope when a glancing header found the net off the foot of the post. Fresh legs were brought on and a fourth goal entered the home net on 76 with another smart move. All hope was extinguished on 80 with a straight red card for a bad tackle for the home No. 7.
Fully deserved for the away team in 3rd place in the League; this was their 20th win this season. They are big, strong and good on the ball. Hanwell were just too lightweight and one-dimensional. All-in-all a good night's entertainment and back to the hotel swiftly via bus, Central and District afterwards.

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19 Games: 98 Goals: 386 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 57

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Mar 14, 2018, 10:01 AM)

prorege

Mar 14, 2018, 8:20 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #17 of 44 (4684 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SPFL League Two
Edinburgh City v Cowdenbeath, 1-1, H.T. 0-0, Att 256, Admission £12, Programme £2.50, Pie and Coffee £3
At Ainslie Park (Spartans FC)

Cowden sit 15 points adrift of Berwick and Edinburgh City at the foot of the table after the midweek fixtures. Realistically they are certain to finish bottom therefore must work towards the play-off match against either the Highland or Lowland League Champions.

On the basis of previous times that Iíve seen Cowden this season I was very doubtful if they would have a chance in the play-off. After this game I am much more optimistic. They still werenít great but it was a big improvement on previous showings.

Bryan Gilfillan has come out of retirement to play at the back and had a reasonable game. Jordyn Sheerin has come out of the pie stall to play up front. Heís a very talented player but needs to lose at least two stone to be back at his best. Still, even in his current immobile form he posed a decent threat. In midfield David Cox is a vast improvement and his 87th minute equaliser was no more than Cowden deserved.

After a poor first half Cowden squandered a great chance to go ahead just after the break. They got a fairly soft penalty but Sheerin was clearly distracted by the pie stall and shot in that direction rather than towards goal. City took the lead with 20 minutes left. Depending on interpretation Taylor either latched onto a brilliant 60 yard pass by Craig Beattie to lob McGurn, or a massive hoofed clearance fell kindly for him as McGurn rushed off his line leaving an unguarded net. Either way, it was a very avoidable goal.

Credit to Cowden for not giving up. Robbie Buchanan missed a glorious chance but David Cox finished off a sweeping move for the equaliser.

The crowd of 256 contained many familiar faces. Lots of Edinburgh neutrals turned out Ė City really donít have much of a support of their own. There were a reasonable number of Cowden fans there as well. The programme has a lengthy discourse on why City donít get more support but itís more self-pitying than searching for solutions.

Delicious pies from the Spartans pie-stall, and as usual the left-overs were distributed free in the second half. Stand somewhere near the if stall if you are desperate / stingy and smile nicely at the lassie handing them out.

Cityís programme is very good and well worth the £2.50 price tag. The presentation is much improved over recent seasons.

Chelsea Spud
Youth Team Regular

Mar 14, 2018, 8:59 AM

Team(s): Chelsea

Post #18 of 44 (4562 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Where didnt i go

First a ref rant. Why did you call off Coventey Sphinx so late(1925). Will you reimburse my £40? No course not will he reimburse the away team? course not. But will he pick up his expenses and half match fee? course he will.

So ended up with a revisit to Coventry Copsewood whose pitch was in a worse condition according to others who did the same but this ref fancied playing.

Adm was £5 prog was £1 @ Coventry Copsewood (0) 0 Nuneaton Griff (0) 4

Easy win for Nuneaton who looked far the better side and was a surprise it was goalless at ht. They were out of the blocks quickly in 2nd half scoring regularly and also missed a few other chances

(This post was edited by Chelsea Spud on Mar 14, 2018, 9:00 AM)

penny banner
Youth Team Sub

Mar 14, 2018, 9:36 AM

Post #19 of 44 (4474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

EDINBURGH v COWDENBEATH. Nothing to add to the above report other than I wish I'd known about the free pies, they were a bit special. The nigh on 1000 mile round trip went surprisingly well and the Edinburgh pubs were their usual refulgent selves. That's the Scottish league tidied up for a couple of months, maybe even longer if the Blue Brazil (played in red for some reason) do their stuff in the play offs.

pauloslam
Youth Team Regular

Mar 14, 2018, 9:54 AM

Team(s): Maidenhead United, Reading & Flackwell Heath

Post #20 of 44 (4428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chelsea Spud] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Conference National
Boreham Wood (1) 1 Maidenhead United (1) 1
Att 401 (would estimate 100 away fans)
Admission £18 Programme £3 Coffee £1.60

After Maidenhead's dismantling on Saturday up at Gateshead, was very keen to make the trip to Boreham Wood to get behind the Magpies and really pleased I did.
Not a classic encounter by any means and with BW scoring after 4 minutes, the writing could have been on the wall for Maidenhead. But they dug deep and got a scrappy equaliser on the half hour mark and then the away side grew into the game and had several chances to snatch the 3 points right at the death.
Wood fans will see that as 2 points lost in their promotion push and we will see it as very much the ship is now steadied and a big point gained.
Last time I visited BW, must have been 25+ years ago and things have changed a lot, very impressed with a clean & tidy set up, good well maintained ground and spectator facilities, the hybrid pitch was okay, a bit tennis ball bouncy still and the two stands made this feel like a ground that would not look out of place in the FL. One thing sadly lacking and that is the crowds. They still can't attract people down there to watch, a shame as I reckon that would make the next level very possible for them.
A great evening out though and glad I made the trip.

Tim

Mar 14, 2018, 9:59 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #21 of 44 (4414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penny banner] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Alvechurch 2 Gresley 1 (Northern Premier League Division 1 South) Att: 132

With games biting the dust everywhere, I decided to head up north to Lye Meadow, and a tasty looking almost-top v almost-bottom clash - plenty at stake. The first half was end to end and pretty even, the only goal coming from an excellent move, nicely finished by Luke Yates. Gresley were up against for much of the second half, but equalised courtesy of a bizarre and needless own goal from Aaron Lloyd, and that looked to be enough for a point, until Ryan Winwood's 89th minute effort somehow got past the visiting keeper. Thoroughly entertaining game - Gresley were way better than their league position suggests, and appear to lack only someone to bang some goals in; otherwise they look fine and I can't see them going down. The standard appears to be way better than the Southern League equivalent - Gresley would be comfortable in mid-table there, I reckon. Alvechurch are a fairly decent outfit but don't really look like a second placed side to me - maybe they had an off night.

The ground remains unchanged since last season's visit. I like the ground but it isn't really the friendliest local ground I visit. Admission was a fiver for a codger, with a decent prog being a further £1.50. Good company from two of the Worcestershire Mafia, which all made for a very decent evening.

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Mar 14, 2018, 10:43 AM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #22 of 44 (4318 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barnsley Dave] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was also at this game, and thought it was one of the most entertaining matches I have seen for a long time.

As you say, it seems Worcester Park are resigned to relegation.

siramisp
Youth Team Star

Mar 14, 2018, 10:53 AM

Post #23 of 44 (4288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

With games biting the dust everywhere, I decided to head up north to Lye Meadow, and a tasty looking almost-top v almost-bottom clash - plenty at stake. The first half was end to end and pretty even, the only goal coming from an excellent move, nicely finished by Luke Yates. Gresley were up against for much of the second half, but equalised courtesy of a bizarre and needless own goal from Aaron Lloyd, and that looked to be enough for a point, until Ryan Winwood's 89th minute effort somehow got past the visiting keeper. Thoroughly entertaining game - Gresley were way better than their league position suggests, and appear to lack only someone to bang some goals in; otherwise they look fine and I can't see them going down. The standard appears to be way better than the Southern League equivalent - Gresley would be comfortable in mid-table there, I reckon. Alvechurch are a fairly decent outfit but don't really look like a second placed side to me - maybe they had an off night.

The ground remains unchanged since last season's visit. I like the ground but it isn't really the friendliest local ground I visit. Admission was a fiver for a codger, with a decent prog being a further £1.50. Good company from two of the Worcestershire Mafia, which all made for a very decent evening.

Also at this game and agree with comments.

Alvechurch very much a club on the up and have a strong element of big-club mentality about them - Watch out for them when they move grounds, they could really push on

Tim

Mar 14, 2018, 10:58 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #24 of 44 (4279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [siramisp] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Also at this game and agree with comments.

Alvechurch very much a club on the up and have a strong element of big-club mentality about them - Watch out for them when they move grounds, they could really push on

Agreed, but I can't see them ever increasing their fanbase significantly, and that could restrict their progress in the long run. Also, I'm not convinced that moving - albeit only 4 miles - to the southern edge of Birmingham is a good idea for what is in essence a village club.

Dudley_BTFC
Youth Team Sub

Mar 14, 2018, 11:44 AM

Team(s): Manchester United, Bracknell Town

Post #25 of 44 (4155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Tuesday 13th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Virginia Water 1-3 Binfield

Perpetua Press Hellenic Floodlit Cup Quarter Final

Attendance: Not listed but best guess circa 55-65.

Admission: £5 for adult including programme. Not sure if admission was £4 with the programme £1 or if its all in for £5. The entrance guy was not very clear.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was third in step 6 (Hellenic D1E) vs sixth in step 5 (Hellenic Premier) and was a very close match for large parts.

The hosts opened the scoring in the 27th minute as striker Adam McNamara used his blistering pace to race with the ball from the halfway line holding off the defence to slot home.

Two minutes later and the Moles were level as the experienced Ian Davies got the first of his two goals with a simple finish.

The score remained 1-1 at half time which was a fair reflection of a competitive, even and good match.

After the break it again started very even but as the match wore on, Binfield's extra fitness and experience told.

Firstly, Carlo Santoro scored with a fine finish from just inside the penalty area on 82 minutes before Davies got his second with three minutes remaining - a well placed shot via the post.

VW share with Windsor FC on possibly the finest grass pitch in the Hellenic League which allows for good football to be played.

Refreshments were hot drinks in the clubhouse, the tea bar (usually open for Windsor games with full compliment of food and drink) was closed as it usually is for VW games.

Windsor do have Windsor & Eton Brewery very close by so always a fine offering from them in the clubhouse.

The Perpetua Press Hellenic Floodlit Cup Semi Finals line-up is looking a corker and will be an all Premier Division affair.

Sixth placed Binfield join fifth placed Bracknell Town and fourth placed Flackwell Heath in the last four.

The last remaining Quarter Final is second placed Thatcham Town against seventh placed Brimscombe & Thrupp so guaranteed to be four of the top seven Hellenic League sides.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3