Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
EU Withdrawal Negotiations

First page Previous page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 86 Next page Last page  View All

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 13, 2018, 8:06 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #701 of 2150 (2610 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Still, good news to see the Gov't are finally get their act together and populating the Civil Service with an army of thousands of new recruits to deliver Brexit and to create the new agencies that will be required after we Leave.

Has it been costed?

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 8:20 AM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #702 of 2150 (2606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The biggest regret of the process was the inability of the Remainer politicians to join the Gov't in a show of national unity and deliver a Brexit that the majority could buy in to.

-- As I've said several times, the Conservative government have taken on the referendum result, interpreted it in their own way (an interpretation which I believe is NOT what the majority voted for), and run the Brexit project itself. Other parties have not been invited to form a national committee, which would have represented the UK people rather than various factions of the Tories. I remember early on May wouldn't even divulge details of her Brexit plan to other parties because it would 'damage the UK's negotiating position'. I repeat, 'the people' voted in the referendum but 'the people' are not being represented in the Brexit project.

Ronsdog's quote/comment above seems to sum it up quite well:
'Both Soubry and Umanna briefly and only briefly commented on this when they conceded that ....."Brexit exposes the failings of our two main parties. It's an uncomfortable truth that many millions of voters feel that neither represent them. " ........include me and many remainers as well as levers within those millions. Both sides of the argument simply want our politicos to secure a deal. They are currently failing miserably in that task and allowing the EU to set the agenda and dynamic'.

Still no sign of the Brexit project involving any but the Conservatives. Perhaps it's getting too late now, maybe the divides and frustrations are already too deep. Much like the EU's frustration with what they've had from the UK so far.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Mar 13, 2018, 8:26 AM)

Yatesman
Reserve Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 10:48 AM

Team(s):

Post #703 of 2150 (2554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Still, good news to see the Gov't are finally get their act together and populating the Civil Service with an army of thousands of new recruits to deliver Brexit and to create the new agencies that will be required after we Leave.

Has it been costed?

Yes ... 350million per week apparently. .....

PaulC

Mar 13, 2018, 12:05 PM

Post #704 of 2150 (2520 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Has it been costed?

Yes ... 350million per week apparently. .....

Smile
Nowt for the NHS then.

007Dale
First Team Regular

Mar 13, 2018, 12:24 PM

Post #705 of 2150 (2513 views)
Shortcut

Rumours that the Chancellor is going to lay the foundations today for a new NHS tax to be announced in the autumn budget.

This would mean a reduction in general income tax and then a flat rate of tax for the NHS - heard 5% mentioned, but no idea if that would cover the costs.

I think the principle is a good idea. Anyone moaning about funding for NHS then gets hit with the increased tax stick. The reality is we want more money spent on it but don't want taxes increased, this will allow more open and honest discussions about it.

PaulC

Mar 13, 2018, 1:08 PM

Post #706 of 2150 (2495 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The reality is we want more money spent on it but don't want taxes increased, this will allow more open and honest discussions about it.

I don't mind taxes being increased if we get better public services in return. Ever since Thatcher, taxation has been a dirty word. no party (apart from the SNP) dare increase them because they know the flak they will get from the neo-liberals in control of the media and the right wing political parties in this country.

When you look at the state of our public services Thatcher has a lot to answer for. If only we could be as forward thinking as the Scandinavians instead of trying to emulate the Americans.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Mar 13, 2018, 1:09 PM)

jon b
First Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 1:20 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #707 of 2150 (2489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

What they and others can't come to terms with is that the people's wishes , that's the 52%, should be enacted as was promised before the refendum took place. Instead of carping on, just like Cable, they should be getting behind our current negotiators to seek the best terms that we can.

Looks like the Brexiteers are getting their excuses ready for ending up with a lousy deal.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 13, 2018, 2:17 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #708 of 2150 (2458 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Rumours that the Chancellor is going to lay the foundations today for a new NHS tax to be announced in the autumn budget.

This would mean a reduction in general income tax and then a flat rate of tax for the NHS - heard 5% mentioned, but no idea if that would cover the costs.

I think the principle is a good idea. Anyone moaning about funding for NHS then gets hit with the increased tax stick. The reality is we want more money spent on it but don't want taxes increased, this will allow more open and honest discussions about it.

Where will that end? Separate taxes for defence? Welfare? Education? How much will it cost to administer? How many quangos will be set up to monitor whether such a tax is actually only being spent on the NHS.

Fiddling while Rome burns.

Of course if we had had a separate tax to fund our EU contributions everyone would grasp how little our membership actually costs us in comparison to those big ticket items.

(This post was edited by Part-Timer on Mar 13, 2018, 2:18 PM)

UKPunk

Mar 13, 2018, 7:49 PM

Post #709 of 2150 (2363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
It will be interesting to see if Buncranaboy gets overtaken as the top forum poster by the likes of Paul C, Yatesman and Ronsdog on the strength of their contributions to this thread by the time we're due to leave the EU on Friday 29th March 2019. Tongue

Are you worried about losing your top ten posters position?

Terrified. Being amongst the other posters on this list makes me feel soooo important! Tongue

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

dottirofhod

Mar 14, 2018, 3:49 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #710 of 2150 (2248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Being amongst the other posters on this list makes me feel soooo important!

===========================================

P/M me for rates for rest of this year or go for the ''Platinum Life'' membership.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 139/ 115 / 24(You know my rules) @ 14 /12 /2018.(Only 11 x 0-0's)

Project TFTTUEFAG's2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).
Need - 108 ( 15.2%).

UKPunk

Mar 14, 2018, 8:26 PM

Post #711 of 2150 (2113 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If I go for the life membership do I get a 'Clique' badge to wear to matches? Cool

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

pitch 63
First Team Star

Mar 14, 2018, 9:40 PM

Post #712 of 2150 (2084 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
If I go for the life membership do I get a 'Clique' badge to wear to matches? Cool

Only if you also wear Clique Happy Perfume at all matches.

Yatesman
Reserve Team Star

Mar 15, 2018, 6:25 AM

Team(s):

Post #713 of 2150 (1997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
The reality is we want more money spent on it but don't want taxes increased, this will allow more open and honest discussions about it.

I don't mind taxes being increased if we get better public services in return. Ever since Thatcher, taxation has been a dirty word. no party (apart from the SNP) dare increase them because they know the flak they will get from the neo-liberals in control of the media and the right wing political parties in this country.

When you look at the state of our public services Thatcher has a lot to answer for. If only we could be as forward thinking as the Scandinavians instead of trying to emulate the Americans.

Giving more cash to the NHS is like shovelling money in to a furnace.

I would happily give more of my earnings to the State if I thought they valued that money and would use it wisely. Evidence suggests otherwise.

The Skandi type welfare systems are a better mix of private and State provision and free market access but with a much higher flat rate of tax. That means the less well off pay more but are better covered.
A better system and doesn't penalise the better earners and therefore still encourages enterprise and entrepreneurials.

PaulC

Mar 15, 2018, 9:26 AM

Post #714 of 2150 (1960 views)
Shortcut

Third biggest FTSE company, Unilever, is moving its HQ to the Netherlands.

Maybe they'll rename it Unileaver.

Yatesman
Reserve Team Star

Mar 15, 2018, 10:03 AM

Team(s):

Post #715 of 2150 (1932 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

According to their CEO it's nothing to do with Brexit but more to do with cost saving and to protect themselves against hostile bids.
They operate in 190 countries worldwide and Brexit is of no concern to them at all.
Two divisions of Unilever are still based in the UK , Beauty and Home care products and approx 6300 jobs are here.
He was interviewed on Radio 4 this morning.
Sorry, Paul C but your credibility for balanced reporting is busted once again😆

PaulC

Mar 15, 2018, 10:31 AM

Post #716 of 2150 (1920 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

According to their CEO it's nothing to do with Brexit but more to do with cost saving and to protect themselves against hostile bids.
They operate in 190 countries worldwide and Brexit is of no concern to them at all.
Two divisions of Unilever are still based in the UK , Beauty and Home care products and approx 6300 jobs are here.
He was interviewed on Radio 4 this morning.
Sorry, Paul C but your credibility for balanced reporting is busted once again😆

What was inaccurate in what I reported?

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Mar 15, 2018, 10:47 AM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #717 of 2150 (1912 views)
Shortcut

Nothing was wrong in what you reported, Paul C

I suspect that Yatesman has believed that the CEO of Unilever would never put a spin on anything he said.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Mar 15, 2018, 11:04 AM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #718 of 2150 (1903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This decision, long on the making, is as likely to be about Brexit as it is about the possibility of Jeremy Corbyn coming to power.

In common with most Multi-Nationals, this consumer products giant, is making decisions based on any financial advantage and market protection it can gain.

(This post was edited by Ronsdog on Mar 15, 2018, 11:12 AM)

PaulC

Mar 15, 2018, 11:31 AM

Post #719 of 2150 (1886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

This decision, long on the making, is as likely to be about Brexit as it is about the possibility of Jeremy Corbyn coming to power.

In common with most Multi-Nationals, this consumer products giant, is making decisions based on any financial advantage and market protection it can gain.

Are any multinationals moving to the UK now they will be able to enjoy the benefits of Brexit?

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Mar 15, 2018, 11:44 AM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #720 of 2150 (1878 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Are any multinationals moving to the UK now they will be able to enjoy the benefits of Brexit?

Irrespective of Brexit the UK still attracts the bulk of inward investment into Europe.
(Source FT)

But, we need to rebalance the economy, and from this imperative government no longer has a hiding place. Our new freedom and EU contribution monies mean the government, at last, has the mandate and the resources to support our small and medium-sized exporters, and not be transfixed by the often protectionist multinationals.

We must invest in universities and research and development and actually build infrastructure, not just talk about it. Seek the lowest-cost sources of energy rather than burdening consumers with massive bills. Provide non-equity loan capital and finance for entrepreneurs, growing firms and the tech sector, even if it means the City turning a buck less.

(This post was edited by Ronsdog on Mar 15, 2018, 11:49 AM)

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Mar 15, 2018, 12:49 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #721 of 2150 (1838 views)
Shortcut

Agree that we need to invest, build, and rebalance. Regardless of Brexit.

Whatever the reasons for Unilever's decision, it's not the first sign that the UK has been seen recently as a less attractive place to invest/expand a business.

So if the UK does do a hard Brexit, then this is another reminder that 'going it alone' and trying to create markets is not going to be easy. And I think the UK is woefully unprepared for it.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Mar 15, 2018, 12:49 PM)

pitch 63
First Team Star

Mar 15, 2018, 4:23 PM

Post #722 of 2150 (1772 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Unilever was originally a Dutch company [I can't remenber its name] that merged with the British Lever Brothers company. Initially after merger it kept the new group's HQ in the Netherlands but I think that it was in the 1950s that HQ moved to the UK.

Yatesman
Reserve Team Star

Mar 15, 2018, 7:48 PM

Team(s):

Post #723 of 2150 (1699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Unilever was originally a Dutch company [I can't remenber its name] that merged with the British Lever Brothers company. Initially after merger it kept the new group's HQ in the Netherlands but I think that it was in the 1950s that HQ moved to the UK.

Unilever has held dual UK and Dutch listings on the stock exchange and has always had it's HQ in two locations. Rotterdam and London.

This latest move is as a result of a number of hostile takeover bids. It cab resist these bids more easily under Dutch law. It also makes financial sense to consolidate it's HQ operations on one site.
As said earlier. Two of it's main divisions are still HQ'd in the UK and it is currently building a new factory and investing 30million+ in this new plant in Runcorn ( I think).
Not exactly UniLeaving....

TBH it's all over the news today.
As for the history of the company. Wiki will have the info on them, I'm sure

Yatesman
Reserve Team Star

Mar 15, 2018, 7:52 PM

Team(s):

Post #724 of 2150 (1696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Whatever the reasons for Unilever's decision, it's not the first sign that the UK has been seen recently as a less attractive place to invest/expand a business.

So if the UK does do a hard Brexit, then this is another reminder that 'going it alone' and trying to create markets is not going to be easy. And I think the UK is woefully unprepared for it.

Unilever's decision is not a sign of that at all and tbh your ignorance on the subject is staggering. Shooting from the lip as you do does not add to the debate in any way, shape or form.

jrev61

Mar 15, 2018, 7:54 PM

Team(s): None

Post #725 of 2150 (1692 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Unilever's decision is not a sign of that at all and tbh your ignorance on the subject is staggering. Shooting from the lip as you do does not add to the debate in any way, shape or form.

I think you'll find the correct expression is 'shooting from the hip'. I won't suggest you are ignorant because you got it wrong!

jrev61

First page Previous page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 86 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3