Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE

First page Previous page 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... 108 Next page Last page  View All

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Mar 7, 2018, 6:43 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #2501 of 2678 (7777 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I went for the buy online, print at home option, Ian. Bit of a result this morning: someone at Eagles actually answered the phone - though I had to ring three times over 90 minutes before they did! :-)

For sporting (and other) images, visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/venue totals: Football 900; Rugby Union 263; Rugby League 214; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

Loiner
First Team Star

Mar 7, 2018, 11:27 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #2502 of 2678 (7703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 7th March 2pm
BUCS Championship Quarter Final on 3G at Milford's NCL Pitch.

Leeds Beckett v Hull 56-0

This was over as a contest by the twentieth minute with Beckett leading 34-0. Hull had hardly touched the ball apart from kicking off. Things then calmed a bit and the referee blew for time five minutes early.

Beckett v Newcastle in the semi final next week.

Manfrombelmonte
Junior Team Sub

Mar 7, 2018, 11:30 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers (SWA),FCUTD,Hibernian,Southport,Widnes V.

Post #2503 of 2678 (7701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fri / Widnes v Huddersfield
Sun / one from following - Dewsbury v Toulouse, Halifax v Leigh, Oldham v York (I believe Oldham back in Oldham).

Where is Olympic Legacy Park?

SWA - "Tranmere are the deadly submarine" JOHNNY KING

Loiner
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2018, 12:07 AM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #2504 of 2678 (7691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Manfrombelmonte] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sheffield. On the site of the old Don Valley Stadium.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2018, 9:30 AM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #2505 of 2678 (7630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Manfrombelmonte] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sun / one from following - Dewsbury v Toulouse, Halifax v Leigh, Oldham v York (I believe Oldham back in Oldham).

Oldham back at Whiteside though with a new pitch and a general tidying up thanks to AVRO FC (although I've not been there since Oldham were there first time around).

Halifax v Leigh on Sunday for me. Was offered a ticket for Warrington v St Helens tomorrow but have turned it down in favour of watching the Edinburgh Derby on TV.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2018, 11:17 AM

Post #2506 of 2678 (7605 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Oldham back at Whiteside though with a new pitch and a general tidying up thanks to AVRO FC (although I've not been there since Oldham were there first time around).

Whitebank? :-) The new pitch is plastic, isn't it? I remember reading about the site being badly contaminated with Japanese knotweed. Has that problem been sorted as part of the general tidying up?

Ground/venue totals: Football 900; Rugby Union 263; Rugby League 214; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2018, 1:09 PM

Post #2507 of 2678 (7581 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Whitebank? :-) The new pitch is plastic, isn't it? I remember reading about the site being badly contaminated with Japanese knotweed. Has that problem been sorted as part of the general tidying up?

No idea where Whiteside came from! Yes it's an artificial pitch which (I think) is smaller than RFL regulations and, looking at the photos, also has a rather small 'run off' between the touchline and a rather large brick wall.

IAN S
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2018, 5:18 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #2508 of 2678 (7520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Loiner] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Which brings up that eternal question - is it a new ground or not?

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2018, 6:13 PM

Post #2509 of 2678 (7499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Which brings up that eternal question - is it a new ground or not?

I'll be deeming it such, Ian. For me, it's the infrastructure of a ground that counts - not the land it's built on. Could OLP be more different to DVS?!

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2018, 8:34 PM

Post #2510 of 2678 (7467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

No idea where Whiteside came from! Yes it's an artificial pitch which (I think) is smaller than RFL regulations and, looking at the photos, also has a rather small 'run off' between the touchline and a rather large brick wall.

I’ve just realised that ‘Whiteside’ comes from a cunning combination in my mind of the correct Whitebank name, and the ground being situated in the Limeside area. Not going completely mad (yet).

Sheffield’s new gaff is very much a new ground for me given the predecessor has been completely demolished and that there has been a lengthy period of time where there hasn’t been a stadium on the site at all.

Manfrombelmonte
Junior Team Sub

Mar 8, 2018, 10:05 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers (SWA),FCUTD,Hibernian,Southport,Widnes V.

Post #2511 of 2678 (7439 views)
Shortcut

Last time I went to Whitebank, it looked a bit of a wreck. The covered standing that was there in Oldham Borough days had gone. Be interesting to see if any improvements have been done to spectator facilities.

SWA - "Tranmere are the deadly submarine" JOHNNY KING

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 9, 2018, 11:37 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #2512 of 2678 (7331 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Last time I went to Whitebank, it looked a bit of a wreck. The covered standing that was there in Oldham Borough days had gone. Be interesting to see if any improvements have been done to spectator facilities.

Loads of improvements. Aside from the artificial pitch, there's a 200 seater stand on one side (running from the clubhouse corner), plus covered standing behind one goal and one side. Fully enclosed and hard standing. Apparently the clubhouse has been completely refurbished, although I didn't call in on my visit back in August. I believe it is Avro FC's intention to apply for NWCL at some point. The only thing that let's it down is the area in which it resides, that part of Oldham is particularly grim.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

zebedee
First Team Star

Mar 9, 2018, 4:45 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #2513 of 2678 (7268 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Avro are among the applicants for promotion to step 6 this season.

IAN S
First Team Star

Mar 10, 2018, 5:46 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #2514 of 2678 (7148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Underbank Rangers 26 Wigan St Patricks 18
National Conference Premier
Ht 14 18
Programme & admission 3.00

Apparently this morning had no chance of being on but the sun came briefly and dried the pitch enough for it to be passed fit.

Electing to play down the slope Pats were 3 tries to one up at one point but it never looked enough. Rangers scored two unanswered tries in the second half.

On this showing their home form could keep them up.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 10, 2018, 6:57 PM

Post #2515 of 2678 (7127 views)
Shortcut

Three Tuns 54 Langwith Lions 4
GMB Council Cup semi final
venue Sirius Academy, Hull
Attendance 50 admission Free
The Hull & District League used to have at least four divisions but the junior game moved to summer and youngsters coming through do not then want to play winter and there is now one division of 8 and the league will probably move to summer
The Council cup, sponsored, I assume, by the union is the league cup
Having no idea what might play today., this had the appeal of being a 2oclock Ko with the fall back of Hull Wyke at 2.30 and Hull Ionians or Hessle union at 3pm. The latter was the most likely to play. I discovered Wyke was off mid morning and this one appeared to be on. On arrival a girls fixture was taking place and I confirmed the open age game. 20 mins before kick off, I saw the post protectors being taken down, but then realised these were being moved to pitch2
Ten mins later they were moved back to pitch 1
Sitrius academy is as the name suggests a modern school but also home to Hull FC ( that is the RL) academy and community. a high fence surrounds the pitches from the road but there is no pitch barrier. On entering I realised just how wet the area was with standing water in many places. The pitch would have been passed unfit for soccer and I suspect much RL but played well, suggesting far too many games are called off for being wet but not in any way dangerous
Lambwith only had two subs and although dominating the first ten mins were then heavily defeated
Special mention must be made of the Lambwith coach, who abused the opposition with extreme use of the F & C words, often directly at an individual player and then went onto the pitch to tell the ref an opposition player had abused the ref

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Mar 11, 2018, 6:48 PM

Post #2516 of 2678 (6972 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 11th March 2018
Sheffield Eagles 10 Toronto Wolfpack 44 (HT 6-16)
Championship (level two, kick-off 3pm)
Admission £15 (£2 discount for advance ticket purchase)
Programme £2.50 (40pp, glossy but unimaginatively designed)
Attendance 863 (official)
Usual refreshments available (didn't sample)

Opening day at Olympic Legacy Park, and a predictable outcome as full-time beat part-time with some comfort. Sheffield, back in their home city after a year's exile at Belle Vue, Wakefield, battled gamely enough during the first half but came up with error after embarrassing error in the second. Toronto took full advantage, outscoring their hosts eight tries to two. Eagles' tries came in the third minute of first half stoppage time and the 79th minute. Wolfpack dominated possession and field position without looking anything special. Jonny Pownall and Richard Whiting both bagged a brace for the visitors, with Ryan Brierley kicking six goals, two off the touchline.

This afternoon, for me at least, was always going to be about the occasion rather than the contest. Eagles staged it reasonably well. The Lord Mayor of Sheffield, Cllr Anne Murphy, was in attendance, and introduced to the players before kick-off. Those formalities over, a voluble young lass belted out with gusto the two national anthems. As far as I could tell, everything went smoothly. The security staff (male and female) in attendance were all of a certain age and agreeably amiable.

As most will know, Olympic Legacy Park (nominal capacity 2,500) has been built on the site of the ill-starred Don Valley Stadium, Eagles' last permanent home in Sheffield. It is shared with Sheffield United Ladies FC. Completely enclosed, it is a fairly basic venue, with a fully-railed 4G pitch, hardstanding (but no terracing) on all sides and floodlights. Not dissimilar to the new set-up at Pilkington Recs ARLFC, St Helens, which I viewed yesterday. A temporary all-seat stand - last seen, I suspect, when Eagles played at Sheffield Hallam University Sports Park - has been erected on the west touchline. Standing spectators seeking an elevated view can perch on steep grass banks running along the east side and the south end. Corporate punters are accommodated in the multi-storey UTC Sheffield building which looms over the ground's north end. The suits and heels brigade get access to its high level balcony. The changing rooms are also in this building. Beyond is the futuristic roof of the English Institute of Sport, with Ice Sheffield and Sheffield Arena close by. Grassy 'hills' (possibly a relic of the Don Valley Stadium era) rise behind Olympic Legacy Park's east side. These, together with the grass banks, lend a feeling of enclosure. Sheffield Supertrams rumble over an embankment in the south-east corner. The Arena/Olympic Legacy Park tram stop is a five-minute walk from the spectator entrance. Plenty of parking, including on-street. I arrived early enough at one of the stadium car parks to avoid paying. It should, I think, have been £3. The boarded-up Cocked Hat pub, formerly opposite the Don Valley Stadium turnstiles, provides a useful point of orientation for those who have visited this corner of Attercliffe previously.

For me, the Championship is the messiest of rugby league's three main divisions. It's an unedifying hodge-podge of monied full-time and impoverished part-time clubs. Sheffield's priority this season must be to win (or finish second in) their 'mini league' featuring fellow paupers Barrow, Rochdale and Swinton. I note Rochdale chalked up their first win this afternoon by beating Barrow, who had made an unexpectedly good start after winning promotion in 2017. Leaves Eagles stone last. Given the abysmal form of Leigh (despite Centurions benefiting from a £.5m Super League parachute payment), it's hard to see anything other than a successive title triumph for Toronto. On this evidence, mind, Wolfpack will need a new team for Super League. Neither London nor Toulouse, going well at present, will last the pace, I feel. One from Featherstone, Halifax and possibly Leigh (surely they have to come good at some point?) ought to complete the top four. Batley and Dewsbury will be mid-table also rans. Recently, I heard a radio interview with the Batley coach, whose stated aim in 2018 is to be the Championship's leading part-time club. Is there a trophy for that now? :-)

Good to renew acquaintance with IanS, with whom I watched the first half.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 11, 2018, 7:10 PM)

Karb
First Team Sub

Mar 11, 2018, 7:27 PM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #2517 of 2678 (6932 views)
Shortcut

League One
Keighley Cougars 6-54 Bradford Bulls
Admission £15, Programme didn’t bother

Less said about this one the better. First competitive meeting between the sides since 1976, and Bulls were in control from the off. Annoyingly, they weren’t remotely brilliant, but they were very competent and made very few errors. Cougars, on the other hand, were poor today, and Bulls punished the majority of mistakes.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

onion_bag
Reserve Team Star

Mar 12, 2018, 11:54 PM

Post #2518 of 2678 (6753 views)
Shortcut
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rugby League Championship
Halifax RL 38 Leigh Centurions 18

The Shay
atten 2119

The season seems to be going from bad to worse for pre-season favourites Leigh Centurions. Six matches played with already five defeats. They cant afford many more slip ups if they want to regain their position in Super League. To be fair Halifax fully deserved the win as they simply bulldozed Centurions in the first half taking a 28-0 HT lead.
Sadly it was probably the poorest half display by the Centurions for a long time.
Second half was a better performance but 'Fax always had them at arms length and ran out easy winners. The locals were saying it was Fax's best performance of the season so far , and its easy to see why.

Good atmosphere around the Shay including a 600+ strong travelling Leyther Army. They are a very loyal bunch and despite the poor run of form i am sure they will again be in large numbers when they travel on Sunday to Batley in the Challenge Cup.

View all photos from Halifax RL

http://onion-bag.blogspot.co.uk//
http://rugbyleaguegrounds.blogspot.co.uk/

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 11:13 AM

Post #2519 of 2678 (6692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onion_bag] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Rugby League Championship
Halifax RL 38 Leigh Centurions 18

The Shay
atten 2119

The season seems to be going from bad to worse for pre-season favourites Leigh Centurions. Six matches played with already five defeats. They cant afford many more slip ups if they want to regain their position in Super League. To be fair Halifax fully deserved the win as they simply bulldozed Centurions in the first half taking a 28-0 HT lead.
Sadly it was probably the poorest half display by the Centurions for a long time.
Second half was a better performance but 'Fax always had them at arms length and ran out easy winners. The locals were saying it was Fax's best performance of the season so far , and its easy to see why.

Good atmosphere around the Shay including a 600+ strong travelling Leyther Army. They are a very loyal bunch and despite the poor run of form i am sure they will again be in large numbers when they travel on Sunday to Batley in the Challenge Cup.

View all photos from Halifax RL

Also at this one. Had a great day meeting up with old friends before the game who are Halifax fans. All downhill from 3pm though (well, 3.05 actually when I'd wrenched myself away from the Three Pigeons).

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 13, 2018, 11:27 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2520 of 2678 (6595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday March 18th.

Super League.

Cas v Wigan.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 17, 2018, 11:03 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2521 of 2678 (6220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A 10:30 inspection for the above which is later than my train to Sheffield. Gutted because i love the ground.Frown

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Mar 18, 2018, 10:39 AM

Post #2522 of 2678 (6149 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
A 10:30 inspection for the above which is later than my train to Sheffield. Gutted because i love the ground.Frown

You dodged a bullet there. Game's off!

Chelsea Spud
Youth Team Regular

Mar 19, 2018, 4:14 AM

Team(s): Chelsea

Post #2523 of 2678 (6069 views)
Shortcut

Doing the leeds v Cas game at Smelland Road Friday 23rd March

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Mar 21, 2018, 8:30 AM

Post #2524 of 2678 (5875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Featherstone 20 Halifax 4
Admission £20 Attendance given as 2743. My estimate 1800
Prog was £1 for a very small sized offering which opened into a single sheet of 16 pages if that makes sense. I think RL progs are going to become an endangered species in the very near future, with at least two not issuing, plus monthly magazines and Bradford using an insert in the local paper

Halifax have now switched to the sort of budget, low key production for which Featherstone opted this season. Until this season, Fev's programme, going back years, was always one of the best in the RFL. Apparently, Doncaster considered ditching programmes this season but are continuing to issue - for now.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 21, 2018, 8:30 AM)

GrundyHiller
First Team Sub

Mar 21, 2018, 8:26 PM

Team(s): Horwich RMI, Bolton Wanderers

Post #2525 of 2678 (5787 views)
Shortcut

Leigh Centurions' programme, either 60 or 68 pages this season and sometimes more (100 v Cas last season) continues to thrive and is profitable. That is because Leythers are educated and literary people who appreciate tradition and high standards. Apart from printing and designing costs it is also produced on a zero budget from a volunteer who appreciates history and tradition. It is galling to read of clubs abandoning tradition but as long as the writer is involved at Leigh the programme will aim to be the best it can be under the prevailing circumstances.

First page Previous page 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... 108 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3