Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19

First page Previous page 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 Next page Last page  View All

markust
Youth Team Regular

Mar 12, 2018, 12:49 PM

Post #1926 of 1988 (7735 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kivo] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I wouldn't bet on it.

The FA's response to calls for the north to be better represented was to give the Southern League another Step 3 division and the Isthmian League another Step 4 division.

Bravo.

It really doesn't matter who runs the leagues. It's the clubs that are in them that matter. If they start bringing more northern clubs into step four all of the divisions will shift North.

This starts with more Northern Step 5/6 leagues.

genesimmons
Youth Team Regular

Mar 12, 2018, 1:14 PM

Team(s): Gateshead

Post #1927 of 1988 (7682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [markust] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Does anyone know if the clubs in the promotion mix into step 4 have had there grounds inspected? just wondered if any had failed and if they are still going to be allowed up regardless with a years grace. I have ben thinking what if your anti promotion teams like Morpeth make no effort to get the ground up to scratch would they be demoted, possibly by more than one division. The fa needs to keep a eye on this a teams will be neglecting ground on purpose, getting demoted and winning the league below again the next season and thus becoming yo yo clubs. farce I know but could well believe it from a lot of northern league clubs, shildon and bishop excluded

You wanted the best, you got the best

markust
Youth Team Regular

Mar 12, 2018, 1:20 PM

Post #1928 of 1988 (7675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [genesimmons] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Does anyone know if the clubs in the promotion mix into step 4 have had there grounds inspected? just wondered if any had failed and if they are still going to be allowed up regardless with a years grace. I have ben thinking what if your anti promotion teams like Morpeth make no effort to get the ground up to scratch would they be demoted, possibly by more than one division. The fa needs to keep a eye on this a teams will be neglecting ground on purpose, getting demoted and winning the league below again the next season and thus becoming yo yo clubs. farce I know but could well believe it from a lot of northern league clubs, shildon and bishop excluded

There's no difference in grading between promotion to step 4 and staying in 5 this year. The "promotion" grade has been suspended (probably removed) to take grading fails off the table. If clubs have the grading they get promoted, if not they will likely be relegated.

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 12, 2018, 1:34 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #1929 of 1988 (7645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [multilevel] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
I wouldn't bet on it.

The FA's response to calls for the north to be better represented was to give the Southern League another Step 3 division and the Isthmian League another Step 4 division.

Bravo.

This restructure is not about having the north be better represented. It's "to iron out geographical anomalies, cut down on travelling costs and time and encourage more Step 5 clubs to climb the pyramid".

A league covering Morpeth to Deeping achieves any of the above?

PaulC

Mar 12, 2018, 2:01 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #1930 of 1988 (7600 views)
Shortcut
Re: [multilevel] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
[
This restructure is not about having the north be better represented. It's "to iron out geographical anomalies, cut down on travelling costs and time and encourage more Step 5 clubs to climb the pyramid".

How will that encourage NL clubs to climb the pyramid or iron out the geographical anomaly of the southern half being grossly overrepresented?

Dazzla84
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 12, 2018, 4:39 PM

Team(s): Newcastle United, South Shields, Werder Bremen, Toulouse

Post #1931 of 1988 (7466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
[

How will that encourage NL clubs to climb the pyramid or iron out the geographical anomaly of the southern half being grossly overrepresented?

Theres also the possibility of the FA just giving the 8th Step 4 league to the NPL, if that indeed happens, then i think the Southern and Isthmian may want a say on it.

The NPL from what i remember did apply to run either the new step 3 league or new step 4 league (cant remember which one) and they lost out to their southern counterparts.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 12, 2018, 5:08 PM

Post #1932 of 1988 (7429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Multilevel's much-copied quote comes from press releases issued by the SL and IL on the subject:
http://www.evostikleaguesouthern.co.uk/...n-new-division-36644
http://www.isthmian.co.uk/...n-new-division-36643

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 13, 2018, 9:36 AM

Team(s): Arsenal and South Eastern Football

Post #1933 of 1988 (6887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Multilevel's much-copied quote comes from press releases issued by the SL and IL on the subject:

And of course neither statement gives the slightest indication that their control of the new divisions is anything other than permanent.

PaulC

Mar 13, 2018, 12:03 PM

Post #1934 of 1988 (6726 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

But it doesn't answer the question.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 13, 2018, 12:06 PM

Post #1935 of 1988 (6722 views)
Shortcut

You and Windy both appeared to assume that it was Multilevel who asked the question. He was being sarcastic. I put the links up for clarity.

dcuk
Junior Team Regular

Mar 13, 2018, 12:10 PM

Team(s): Tonbridge Angels, Norwich City

Post #1936 of 1988 (6716 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Unicorn] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

And of course neither statement gives the slightest indication that their control of the new divisions is anything other than permanent.

I suggested this several pages ago and got shot down. Once we go 1-2-4-8 no doubt the NPL will take on a fourth division like their counterparts will have later this year. Whether that will involve mass promotion from the Northern League remains to be seen.

genesimmons
Youth Team Regular

Mar 13, 2018, 12:33 PM

Team(s): Gateshead

Post #1937 of 1988 (6659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dcuk] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I suggested this several pages ago and got shot down. Once we go 1-2-4-8 no doubt the NPL will take on a fourth division like their counterparts will have later this year. Whether that will involve mass promotion from the Northern League remains to be seen.

Could be a mixture of mass promotion from the northern league and NCEL. There simply would not be enough intrested clubs for the league to go from northallerton to Berwick. The league would have to take some yorkshire clubs too. Clubs cant expect to go up a division and do the same travelling. Whilst im not aware if the FA have powers to force clubs en mass the fact that promotion is now compulsory would maybe make clubs re-consider there plans. Also allowing clubs up regardless of league position would help full the league up.

You wanted the best, you got the best

multilevel
Youth Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 12:40 PM

Post #1938 of 1988 (6639 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
You and Windy both appeared to assume that it was Multilevel who asked the question. He was being sarcastic. I put the links up for clarity.

I wasn't necessarily being sarcastic but just pointing out that the restructure wasn't just about the Northern League (and had I not been so lazy, I would have given the links that Mr. T kindly provided).

Of course, if everything was being done with a sense of openness and clarity, we'd have seen the documents which brought about the proposed new arrangements and everyone would be able to understand the thinking behind the new system.

Why organisations feel the need to keep things under cover, I don't know. There's clearly no need to be so secretive about it so why not be open about it and release all documents? Would there be anything in them which would cause scandal? There must have been several options on the table (none of which would have been perfect) and they could simply lay out the reasons why they came to their decision.

PaulC

Mar 13, 2018, 1:03 PM

Post #1939 of 1988 (6582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [genesimmons] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Could be a mixture of mass promotion from the northern league and NCEL. There simply would not be enough intrested clubs for the league to go from northallerton to Berwick. The league would have to take some yorkshire clubs too. Clubs cant expect to go up a division and do the same travelling. Whilst im not aware if the FA have powers to force clubs en mass the fact that promotion is now compulsory would maybe make clubs re-consider there plans. Also allowing clubs up regardless of league position would help full the league up.

I agree, a Step 4 league covering north of Northallerton is unrealistic.

if 10 NL clubs were promoted then, using Wazzafan's projection for next season , the 10th southernmost team at the moment would be Sheffield. I think a Step 4 league covering the NE and all Yorkshire is reasonable.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 13, 2018, 1:14 PM

Post #1940 of 1988 (6573 views)
Shortcut

Maybe not sarcastic but certainly pointed. I recognised the quote when you posted it and assumed you were having a little dig at the authorities. Like Windy and PaulC, I don't see how the new divisions will achieve the stated aims.

Much earlier in this thread, London Harrier wrote: "Can someone point me to a quote or press release from the FA explaining the rationale behind the 2018/19 restructuring? I’ve seen a lot of articles inferring why it is happening, but nothing directly sourced." I quoted then from that press release but noted that there didn't appear to be a statement from the FA itself.

And it's worth observing again that in 2004 there were between the Football League and the feeder leagues 9 divisions and 209 clubs. Now there are 12 and 276, a net movement of 67 from what are now Steps 5 and 6. Not all have enjoyed the experience of climbing the Pyramid – and the leagues from which they came have been weakened.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on Mar 13, 2018, 1:36 PM)

windydcfc

Mar 13, 2018, 3:01 PM

Post #1941 of 1988 (6422 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Maybe not sarcastic but certainly pointed. I recognised the quote when you posted it and assumed you were having a little dig at the authorities. Like Windy and PaulC, I don't see how the new divisions will achieve the stated aims.

Much earlier in this thread, London Harrier wrote: "Can someone point me to a quote or press release from the FA explaining the rationale behind the 2018/19 restructuring? I’ve seen a lot of articles inferring why it is happening, but nothing directly sourced." I quoted then from that press release but noted that there didn't appear to be a statement from the FA itself.

And it's worth observing again that in 2004 there were between the Football League and the feeder leagues 9 divisions and 209 clubs. Now there are 12 and 276, a net movement of 67 from what are now Steps 5 and 6. Not all have enjoyed the experience of climbing the Pyramid – and the leagues from which they came have been weakened.

The NLP has been running weekly articles with Laurence Jones & Matt Edkins from the F.A.! They’ve been covering everything involved in the steps 3 & 4 restructures. The paper have questioned them on numerous matters & they’ve both responded with open answers.
The issues around the northeast have been skipped over & the sort of questions raised on this forum haven’t been answered!
The question I’d like to ask, is if Nick Robinson is pulling all the strings & if he has been since Mike Appleby was retired off?

Geoff
Reserve Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 5:13 PM

Post #1942 of 1988 (6299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In view of the likelihood of a Step 4 league in the North East requiring a mass promotion from the Northern League and covering an area stretching some way into Yorkshire could a local help a southerner like me with the answer to a few questions?
1-Could the Northern League easily find replacements of a decent standard if ten teams were promoted in one go?
2- If it did how much would this dilute the quality of the League?
3-How many of the current Northern League Clubs would want to play at in a step four league covering the
North East and most of Yorkshire?
I realise that any answers would be best guesses rather than solid facts but would be interested in the views of those with a real knowledge of the North Eastern Non-League scene.

Geoff
Reserve Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 5:13 PM

Post #1943 of 1988 (6299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In view of the likelihood of a Step 4 league in the North East requiring a mass promotion from the Northern League and covering an area stretching some way into Yorkshire could a local help a southerner like me with the answer to a few questions?
1-Could the Northern League easily find replacements of a decent standard if ten teams were promoted in one go?
3-How many of the current Northern League Clubs would want to play at in a step four league covering the
I realise that any answers would be best guesses rather than solid facts but would be interested in the views of those with a real knowledge of the North Eastern Non-League scene.

windydcfc

Mar 13, 2018, 6:02 PM

Post #1944 of 1988 (6236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geoff] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

There are 2 teams in the North Riding league that are ambitious & they are either going to become equal tenants or there ground is almost up to standard!
There are 2 teams in the Northern Alliance that are ambitious & have the grading. There’s another in Div 2 & quite a few reserve sides that might be interested!
There are quite a few in the Wearside League.
So personally I think 8 clubs promoted from the EBAC NL would be about right & quite easy to replace.(cherry pick)!

Take the top 8 out of any league & its standard will drop.

3-How many of the current Northern League Clubs would want to play at in a step four league covering the North East and most of Yorkshire?

When the F.A. had there initial meeting with the NL. The NL clubs expressed the desire to play in an East/West split Step 4 league. That covers the northeast & Yorkshire. This was sold to them as the Super Northern League & all the clubs were happy with this.

(This post was edited by windydcfc on Mar 13, 2018, 8:07 PM)

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Mar 13, 2018, 6:58 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #1945 of 1988 (6165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geoff] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I don't know if the likes of Bridlingon Town and Pickering Town, both in the NCEL Premier, would be tempted by a switch to the Northern League. If could reduce some of their travelling.

Northumbrian
Youth Team Star

Mar 14, 2018, 3:44 PM

Team(s): Ponteland Utd, Newcastle Utd

Post #1946 of 1988 (5486 views)
Shortcut

There’s currently 22 clubs in NL Div 1 and 21 in NL Div 2. If 10 went up in a bloc that would leave a Div 1 of 20 and 13 for Div 2.
5 teams could be added immediately -
Birtley Town, Newcastle Uni and Gateshead A * from the Northern Alliance.
Redcar Athletic and Boldon CA from the Wearside League.
* The Northern League currently doesn’t allow reserve teams but the FA could overrule if ever challenged.
This would give a 20/18 split.

The Northern Alliance has 3 divisions (currently 16/16/15) and could easily absorb the loss of 3 clubs but the Wearside League is getting short of numbers, started this season with 18 but Prudhoe Town have just folded and Cleator Moor are trying to go up to the new NWCL Div1N.

Northumbrian
Youth Team Star

Mar 14, 2018, 3:57 PM

Team(s): Ponteland Utd, Newcastle Utd

Post #1947 of 1988 (5468 views)
Shortcut

Yes, losing the current top 10 clubs would weaken the league but wouldn’t be disastrous.

3-How many of the current Northern League Clubs would want to play in a step four league covering the North East and most of Yorkshire?

I would guess just about all of them. The A1 upgrade to a 3 lane motorway from just north of Scotch Corner to the already 3 lane motorway at Leeming Bar has just been completed making the near 100 miles from Newcastle down to Leeds much easier.

keneastlancs
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 15, 2018, 8:54 PM

Team(s): all non league - especially north western teams

Post #1948 of 1988 (4744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Northumbrian] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

confirmation from nwcl 3 teams can come up from step 7 - ground grading can be extended due to weather proof of work schedule needed. - those with grade h ground and finish in top 5 take precedence.

article here
http://www.hallmarksecurityleague.com/news-articles.php?id=6616

windydcfc

Mar 15, 2018, 10:58 PM

Post #1949 of 1988 (4565 views)
Shortcut
Re: [keneastlancs] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
confirmation from nwcl 3 teams can come up from step 7 - ground grading can be extended due to weather proof of work schedule needed. - those with grade h ground and finish in top 5 take precedence.

article here
http://www.hallmarksecurityleague.com/...articles.php?id=6616

windydcfc

Mar 16, 2018, 1:20 PM

Post #1950 of 1988 (4215 views)
Shortcut

The NCEL are led to believe that there will be only 2 relegations this season & the rest will be laterally moved. A couple of clubs have asked to move.

First page Previous page 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3