Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19

First page Previous page 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 Next page Last page  View All

CleethorpesOggy
Youth Team Sub

Mar 7, 2018, 5:13 PM

Team(s): Cleethorpes Town FC; Arnold Town FC; Nottingham Forest FC

Post #1876 of 1988 (6115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Northumbrian] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I wonder when the NPL vote will take place to decide if Step 4 is going to be north/south or east/west?
With probably Morpeth and possibly Holbeach going up to the NPL for next season will they have any influence on the vote?

As far as I am aware, the vote is tomorrow (Thursday) and is for the current 68 member clubs.

It is pretty difficult to predict the outcome, although my personal feeling is that east/west may win the day.

shimtoan
First Team Regular

Mar 7, 2018, 6:11 PM

Team(s): Dunkirk

Post #1877 of 1988 (6030 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dcuk] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

just read it and I've got a couple of points about their geography.

They say there are more people in the South which basically warrants more divisions there, but there are more grounds in the North and Midlands that are suitable for higher football than they currently host, and a club is more likely to get planning permission for expansion and lights.

Of course, they're correct about there being more people in the South, but London, South East, South West, and East is only 2m more than East Mids, West Mids, Yorkshire, North East, and North West.

If there were more Step 5 divisions in the North and Midlands, the NPL would be northern

unless stated, all views are my own and are not the views of any other person, club, or organisation

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 7, 2018, 7:53 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #1878 of 1988 (5916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Northumbrian] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I wonder when the NPL vote will take place to decide if Step 4 is going to be north/south or east/west?
With probably Morpeth and possibly Holbeach going up to the NPL for next season will they have any influence on the vote?

I’m interested in the following few paragraphs on the link;
The Northern Premier League section of the map we’ve released will be split into two. The league will meet with their clubs to decide if they go with a north/south split or west/east.

Technically the Leagues Committee has the final say, but I think the views of those affected will be appreciated when making a decision about their competition.

There’s been lots of discussion about getting more teams from the Northern League, for example, and the feedback from when we went to meet them in December is it would make life easier for them with an east/west split.

Northumbrian
Youth Team Star

Mar 7, 2018, 10:25 PM

Team(s): Ponteland Utd, Newcastle Utd

Post #1879 of 1988 (5729 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I’m totally baffled as to why the Northern League are so keen on an east/west split.
Morpeth could face 5 over 200 miles/4 hour one way trips to Holbeach, Market Deeping, Peterborough, Spalding and Stamford to a NPL East.
The longest trips in a NPL North division would be to the Manchester area, still admittedly 160 miles away, but overall much less travelling time and distance.
I wonder if their east/west request was tied up with the bid to have most of the Northern League Div 1 moved up to Step 4 to a NPL NE covering only the North East and Yorkshire.

windydcfc

Mar 7, 2018, 11:10 PM

Post #1880 of 1988 (5676 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I’m totally baffled as to why the Northern League are so keen on an east/west split.
Morpeth could face 5 over 200 miles/4 hour one way trips to Holbeach, Market Deeping, Peterborough, Spalding and Stamford to a NPL East.
The longest trips in a NPL North division would be to the Manchester area, still admittedly 160 miles away, but overall much less travelling time and distance.
I wonder if their east/west request was tied up with the bid to have most of the Northern League Div 1 moved up to Step 4 to a NPL NE covering only the North East and Yorkshire.

The F.A. should’ve offered extra promotion places to the NL. It wouldn’t taken many to at least have Nottingham as the southern most point. At least this would’ve been a startCrazy

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 8, 2018, 1:02 AM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #1881 of 1988 (5588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomRoystonCrow] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Anyone on here know if the FA are likely to promote other 3rd placed teams from other divisions automatically or reprieve teams? Also If the 3rd placed teams win the play offs before the provisional allocations are out or during the provisional allocations before the real allocations are released will they promote the play Off runners up?

I've asked this on another thread and Windy said the FA says it's down to the FALC.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2018, 9:38 AM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #1882 of 1988 (5423 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

You're forgetting Colwyn Bay, plus the nuances of the M62. Although the M6 is prone to such issues (and presumably the A1M/M1 as well), an East/West split is worth a go if nothing else.

Northumbrian
Youth Team Star

Mar 8, 2018, 10:02 AM

Team(s): Ponteland Utd, Newcastle Utd

Post #1883 of 1988 (5387 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I’m not counting Colwyn Bay. If you look at the excellent predictions by Wazzafan he’s transferred them to the NPL South. I believe this would make Prescot the longest trip for Morpeth.
Also, from personal experience, the A1/A1(M)/M1/M62 to Manchester is a much better bet than the A1/A1(M)/A1/A1(M)/A1 to Peterborough. From just south of Doncaster the A1 isn’t a Motorway just a dual carriageway.
Still totally baffled why they want to add hundreds of miles to Morpeth’s travelling for the season on poorer roads!

doktorb berske
Youth Team Regular

Mar 8, 2018, 10:03 AM

Team(s): Burscough

Post #1884 of 1988 (5383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CleethorpesOggy] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East/West is the logical split, for me. Cross-pennine routes are not always easy to navigate by road, let alone rail.

I count as a groundhop whatever I feel appropriate.

Reserves? Yes, why not?
Friendlies? No problem.
Bracketed ticks? Come on in, I say.

"I tried to organise freedom,
How Scandinavian of me!"

PaulC

Mar 8, 2018, 10:59 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #1885 of 1988 (5321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doktorb berske] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
East/West is the logical split, for me. Cross-pennine routes are not always easy to navigate by road, let alone rail.

In a rational and fair Step 4, Holbeach and its neighbours wouldn't be in the NPL and east/west divisions would be clearly the better option.

The sooner there is a bloc promotion of 10 NL sides, the better.

exile
Youth Team Sub

Mar 8, 2018, 11:52 AM

Team(s):

Post #1886 of 1988 (5250 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I’m not counting Colwyn Bay. If you look at the excellent predictions by Wazzafan he’s transferred them to the NPL South. I believe this would make Prescot the longest trip for Morpeth.
Also, from personal experience, the A1/A1(M)/M1/M62 to Manchester is a much better bet than the A1/A1(M)/A1/A1(M)/A1 to Peterborough. From just south of Doncaster the A1 isn’t a Motorway just a dual carriageway.
Still totally baffled why they want to add hundreds of miles to Morpeth’s travelling for the season on poorer roads!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have long believed in an east-west split. The A1 may only be a dual carriageway but the volume of traffic is as nothing compared to the madhouse of the M62.

The problem at the moment though is looking at the 20 clubs shown a few days ago its quite possible that Tadcaster and Frickley could win the play-offs and Sheffield could get relegated. On the other hand Goole could stay up at the expense of Skelmersdale which would take out the most southerly trip.

windydcfc

Mar 8, 2018, 2:28 PM

Post #1887 of 1988 (5050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [exile] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have long believed in an east-west split. The A1 may only be a dual carriageway but the volume of traffic is as nothing compared to the madhouse of the M62.

The problem at the moment though is looking at the 20 clubs shown a few days ago its quite possible that Tadcaster and Frickley could win the play-offs and Sheffield could get relegated. On the other hand Goole could stay up at the expense of Skelmersdale which would take out the most southerly trip.

If Goole ends up overtaking Ossett Albion, then it’ll resolve that issue!

exile
Youth Team Sub

Mar 8, 2018, 2:46 PM

Team(s):

Post #1888 of 1988 (5032 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Although that would technically relegate Ossett United as the lower placed club from the merger would be Albion in Step 5!

Don't think that rule would be applied and Albion shouldn't be relegated with the amount of money they appear to be throwing at the team.

windydcfc

Mar 8, 2018, 2:59 PM

Post #1889 of 1988 (5024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [exile] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Although that would technically relegate Ossett United as the lower placed club from the merger would be Albion in Step 5!

Don't think that rule would be applied and Albion shouldn't be relegated with the amount of money they appear to be throwing at the team.

Ideally the NPL1E should end at the M180 & then a line following the M1 down to Sheffield. But this season they should’ve looked a line from Nottingham-Lincoln-coast! Anything below this shouldn’t be in the NPL. So the South Lincs & Leicestershire club’s are the issue imo!

BillShep
Junior Team Star

Mar 8, 2018, 4:49 PM

Team(s): City of Liverpool FC

Post #1890 of 1988 (4912 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is this regarding promotion from Step 5 to Step 4. It's just that in a lot, if not all of the Step 5 leagues I didn't think that they had play-offs to Step four, I thought it was just 14 teams supposed to get promoted.

I don't like the suggestion of the NE league even being considered for block promotion as in my view some of the problems have been created at Step 4 by their refusal to promote a team over the years, But now they seem to think a good idea would be to promote 6 or 8 teams in one go to Step 4. What major damage would this cause to future teams in Step 5 when quality opposition has been removed. It would take several years for a decent team to be promoted and stay up then surely.

----------------------------------------------------------
North West Counties Premier Division 2018/19

City of Liverpool FC - Debut season 2016/17

45th ground watching CoLFC - Brookburn Road, West Didsbury & Chorlton
Latest new ground, 71st - Heron Eccles Sports Hub, CoLFC U19's

windydcfc

Mar 8, 2018, 4:57 PM

Post #1891 of 1988 (4898 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BillShep] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Is this regarding promotion from Step 5 to Step 4. It's just that in a lot, if not all of the Step 5 leagues I didn't think that they had play-offs to Step four, I thought it was just 14 teams supposed to get promoted.

I don't like the suggestion of the NE league even being considered for block promotion as in my view some of the problems have been created at Step 4 by their refusal to promote a team over the years, But now they seem to think a good idea would be to promote 6 or 8 teams in one go to Step 4. What major damage would this cause to future teams in Step 5 when quality opposition has been removed. It would take several years for a decent team to be promoted and stay up then surely.

The other step 5 leagues have already benefited or not, from extra promotions at all the previous restructures. This is one of the reasons why the NPL is oversubscribed with ex-NWCL teams.
As for the promotions from step 5, 26 teams are being promoted. The 14 step 5 league champions & the 12 best on a ppg basis 2nd placed teams!

BillShep
Junior Team Star

Mar 8, 2018, 5:19 PM

Team(s): City of Liverpool FC

Post #1892 of 1988 (4858 views)
Shortcut

Yes, I know what this years promotion criteria is. and it is likely that all 2nd placed teams will get promoted anyway because of mergers and folding teams.
It is just the suggestion of block promotion I can't remotely agree with as the "This suits us now" solution. As it has already been mentioned on here the travelling distances for NE teams would have been reduced if they had promoted into the Step 4 leagues and steadily built up the NE contingent. They are more than capable of having a stronghold and would have by now if they weren't so stubborn.

----------------------------------------------------------
North West Counties Premier Division 2018/19

City of Liverpool FC - Debut season 2016/17

45th ground watching CoLFC - Brookburn Road, West Didsbury & Chorlton
Latest new ground, 71st - Heron Eccles Sports Hub, CoLFC U19's

Sarumio
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 8, 2018, 8:18 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #1893 of 1988 (4634 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Can you name any merger in modern times that has resulted in the new club taking the lower placed club's position?

It doesn't happen!

seadogfan
Reserve Team Star

Mar 8, 2018, 8:25 PM

Team(s): Scarborough Athletic

Post #1894 of 1988 (4620 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NPL clubs vote 37-27 in favour of an East/West Split for 2018/19 onwards

PaulC

Mar 8, 2018, 8:46 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #1895 of 1988 (4584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BillShep] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Yes, I know what this years promotion criteria is. and it is likely that all 2nd placed teams will get promoted anyway because of mergers and folding teams.
It is just the suggestion of block promotion I can't remotely agree with as the "This suits us now" solution. As it has already been mentioned on here the travelling distances for NE teams would have been reduced if they had promoted into the Step 4 leagues and steadily built up the NE contingent. They are more than capable of having a stronghold and would have by now if they weren't so stubborn.

The problem with this argument is that the acceptance of promotion by any individual NL club meant they became an isolated outpost. That’s why time and again champions chose not to take the plunge. It’s all very well saying that if NL clubs had accepted promotion there would now be a sizeable contingent but for that to happen some clubs had to start the process and be greatly disadvantaged by doing so.

A critical mass of clubs needs to promoted to the NPL in a oner before it ceases to be a financial and logistical hardship for individual NL clubs to accept promotion in the future.

Atavistic
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 8, 2018, 9:51 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #1896 of 1988 (4473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [seadogfan] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

An understandable decision, but for us at Yaxley it's a horrible prospect having to potentially jump from trips to Leicestershire and Northants (about 60 miles at most each way) to trips to places like Morpeth in the north-east (a 430 mile round trip, give or take a few) if we do get promoted.

Granted, we have the fortune of being more or less on the boundary of three different leagues, so we may not have to worry about that (not to mention the possibility we don't even earn promotion in the first place), but other promotion candidates in Deeping and Holbeach don't have that consolation, and Morpeth and co obviously don't either.

Yaxley FC Programme Editor

2018/19 (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 17 (Most Recent: Berkhamsted)
Games: 26
Goals: 99
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.81
0-0s: 0

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

windydcfc

Mar 8, 2018, 10:26 PM

Post #1897 of 1988 (4406 views)
Shortcut
Re: [seadogfan] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

http://www.evostikleague.co.uk/...ast-west-split-47552

markust
Youth Team Regular

Mar 8, 2018, 11:18 PM

Post #1898 of 1988 (4289 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] FA's Proposed Structure of the NLS 2017/18 and 2018/19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

An understandable decision, but for us at Yaxley it's a horrible prospect having to potentially jump from trips to Leicestershire and Northants (about 60 miles at most each way) to trips to places like Morpeth in the north-east (a 430 mile round trip, give or take a few) if we do get promoted.

Granted, we have the fortune of being more or less on the boundary of three different leagues, so we may not have to worry about that (not to mention the possibility we don't even earn promotion in the first place), but other promotion candidates in Deeping and Holbeach don't have that consolation, and Morpeth and co obviously don't either.

That's not really an equal comparison. All the change has done for you has swapped a potential trip to North Wales with one to Northumberland. At least with the North East you have two road options (A1/A19).

markust
Youth Team Regular

Mar 8, 2018, 11:47 PM

Post #1899 of 1988 (4253 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

http://www.evostikleague.co.uk/...ast-west-split-47552

Some other info coming out of that meeting was that the FA have said that from the end of next season promotion from step 5 to 4 will see the step 5 runners up playoff against the lowest side not in an automatic relegation spot at step 4 for the place in the higher league. The playoff would be one leg at the Step 4's home ground.

Seems strange they would make 14 into 7 fit, then make the promotion different to every other step in the pyramid?

(This post was edited by markust on Mar 8, 2018, 11:48 PM)

doktorb berske
Youth Team Regular

Mar 9, 2018, 8:21 AM

Team(s): Burscough

Post #1900 of 1988 (3937 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I now propose this thread closed!Unsure

I count as a groundhop whatever I feel appropriate.

Reserves? Yes, why not?
Friendlies? No problem.
Bracketed ticks? Come on in, I say.

"I tried to organise freedom,
How Scandinavian of me!"

First page Previous page 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3