IN

Home: Non League Football Information: FA Competitions:
Biggest shocks between divisions in this years FA cup

chrish2014
Junior Team Regular

Feb 8, 2018, 2:07 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2707 views)
Shortcut
Biggest shocks between divisions in this years FA cup Can't Post or Reply Privately

Coventry (4) 2-1 Stoke (1) I think that was 60 places between them

Any bigger?

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Feb 21, 2018, 10:45 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #2 of 8 (2341 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrish2014] Biggest shocks between divisions in this years FA cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Newcastle have come a cropper on a couple of occasions, one of those being Hereford United (Southern League possibly 2nd) beating Newcastle United, 16th in Division 1) which I make to be 68 places. But this wasn't in this seasons competition. A check through the qualifying rounds might throw up something bigger than 60/

(This post was edited by Tykeoldboy on Feb 21, 2018, 10:46 PM)

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 21, 2018, 10:56 PM

Post #3 of 8 (2338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Biggest shocks between divisions in this years FA cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Newcastle have come a cropper on a couple of occasions, one of those being Hereford United (Southern League possibly 2nd) beating Newcastle United, 16th in Division 1) which I make to be 68 places.

Sure about that?

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 22, 2018, 4:22 AM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 8 (2314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrish2014] Biggest shocks between divisions in this years FA cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

With the exemption system even in qualifying it is rare to find many matches between teams more than 3 levels apart.

EP only involves levels 9 & 10
PR sees level 8 join in
Q1 includes level 7 (and that round saw the elimination of the last three remaining level 10 sides)
Q2 includes level 6
Q4 includes level 5
R1 includes 3 & 4
R3 includes 1 & 2

A quick check through only reveals one match between teams 5 levels apart - R1 Hyde (8) v Milton Keynes (3)

4 apart - Q4 Guiseley v Shildon, R1 Exeter v Heybridge,
R2 Fleetwood v Hereford and Slough v Rochdale

The only other three levels apart "upset" that I can see this season is Q2 where 1874 Northwich (9) beat North Ferriby United (6)

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Feb 22, 2018, 1:46 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #5 of 8 (2253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Biggest shocks between divisions in this years FA cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Newcastle have come a cropper on a couple of occasions, one of those being Hereford United (Southern League possibly 2nd) beating Newcastle United, 16th in Division 1) which I make to be 68 places.

Sure about that?

Ooops stupid calculator should have been about 78 places Smile

hawkwind
First Team Star

Feb 23, 2018, 10:50 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2129 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Biggest shocks between divisions in this years FA cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

The only other three levels apart "upset" that I can see this season is Q2 where 1874 Northwich (9) beat North Ferriby United (6)

which is a far greater number of places apart than the Coventry upset being:
the 208 clubs of levels 7 and 8
plus 14 x however number of places 1874 Northwich were below first in their division when the upset took place.

multilevel
Youth Team Star

Feb 24, 2018, 4:53 PM

Post #7 of 8 (2061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hawkwind] Biggest shocks between divisions in this years FA cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

which is a far greater number of places apart than the Coventry upset being:
the 208 clubs of levels 7 and 8
plus 14 x however number of places 1874 Northwich were below first in their division when the upset took place.

Completely agree with your idea of the number of clubs between the two teams being a relevant figure to quote.

However, I think we need to be careful to acknowledge there are two relevant statistics:
(i) number of clubs between them (taking into account all clubs at intervening levels, including multiple parallel divisions);
(ii) number of places between them (taking into account only those divisions which the lower placed team would need to move through in order to reach the same level as the higher placed team).

The 208+ calculation above is for version (i) but is not the same as my definition of "number of places" (ii).

I know that some people prefer one measure and others prefer another but I think that both have their pros and cons.

Dazzla84
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 8, 2018, 11:40 PM

Team(s): Newcastle United, South Shields, Werder Bremen, Toulouse

Post #8 of 8 (1638 views)
Shortcut

Heres ones I know of

QUALIFYING ROUND 2

1874 Northwich (Step 5) ........ 1-0 ........ North Ferriby United (Step 2) - At the time, a difference of 52 places
Shildon (Step 5) ........ 1-0 ........ Altrincham (Step 3) - At the time, a difference of 47 places
Darlington (Step 2) ........ 0-3 ........ South Shields (step 4) - At the time, a difference of 35 places

QUALIFING ROUND 3
South Shields (Step 4) ...... 3-2 ........ York City (Step 2) - At the time, a difference of 40 places

ROUND 1
Colchester United (L2) ........ 0-1 ........ Oxford City (Step 2) - At the time, a difference of 44 places

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3