Mar 7, 2018, 10:38 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #1 of 14 (2872 views)
Shortcut
Wednesday 7th March Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Midlands Premier
CRAWLEY GREEN 3-2 HODDESDON TOWN
Admission & doorstop £7.00 Tea/Coffee £1.00 each

After a gap of five weeks encompassing an entire calendar month without a midweek game for possibly the first time, normal service was resumed on Bartonís notorious pitch which played up quite well. The errant floodlight has still not been replaced although the light from the others was sufficient for the difference not to be noticed. There were even some fans here although I suspect they were all from the Hoddesdon persuasion and they were augmented by three stooges who stood behind the goal Hoddesdon were attacking yet strangely showed no reaction when they scored and also found the car park beneath them, using one of the spaces outside the pavilion instead.

As for the game, it was first blood to Hoddesdon after ten minutes, but this woke Crawley Green up and they turned it round with an excellent free kick followed by the easiest walk-in goal Iíve ever seen from (I presume) Charlie Clayton whose goals may well keep Crawley Green in the Premier Division on their own. Although Hoddesdon equalised just before half time, Crawley Green were not to be denied and scored the winner in the second half.

Drinks were a bit of a disaster with the barlad spilling some of my coffee by banging his hand against the beer taps and as for the tea, I trust that on my return next week, the great Barton-Le-Clay milk famine will have eased. Cool

Digdagdog
First Team Sub

Mar 7, 2018, 11:23 PM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #2 of 14 (2783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Wednesday 7th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Middlesex Premier Cup
Bedfont Sports
FC Deportivo Galicia 0 Harefield United 1
Admission: £5 Programme; No Attendance: 45-ish

I like County Cups because you can often see teams from different Leagues/Steps playing each other. This was the case tonight; both Step 6 but the home side in the COCO and the away in SSM.
Described on here before, this is a neat venue. I arrived via Hatton Cross LUL on the Piccadilly (15 minutes walk) - easy. The home side are easy on the eye and are possibly the best technical football team I've seen at Step 6 but they are way too lightweight. They had to cope with a burly and tall away side who, frankly, bossed them for most of the evening and were much more direct. True chances were few and far between and there were a lot of niggly fouls, especially from the home team who had to resort to foul means to make up for a lack of height.
Deadlock broken on 55 with a low cross ad side-footed finish from the big CF who trundled for most of the game.
The antics from both sides got a bit wearing as the game wore on but the referee was pretty good and did lots of talking.
Piccadilly and District to Padders afterwards.

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19

Cleeve
Youth Team Sub

Mar 8, 2018, 12:02 AM

Team(s): Bristol City, St Albans City, Verulam Cycling Club

Post #3 of 14 (2717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Wednesday 7th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

BUCS League - Men's South Eastern Division 2A
University of Chichester Seconds v University of Portsmouth Firsts 1-1 (ht 0-1)
Venue: College Lane, Chichester; kickoff 1400hrs
Entry: Free, no programme
Attendance: h/c 130 (38 away)

Admittedly I haven't been to that many BUCS games, and not any in their premier league, but the attendance at this game was off the scale as far as I was concerned. With a large, alcohol-fuelled, away contingent 'singing' songs that wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else on campus, we had an atmosphere that encouraged extra commitment on the pitch. Having said that, the feeling was more akin to the whole of a village turning out to see the local step seven team clinch the title. In this case, Portsmouth were the team needing one more victory to become champions, and Chichester the local rivals out to stop them. Needless to say, it was a full blooded affair with a plethora of yellow cards and two reds.

The away team had the edge for most of the game and their goal on the half hour looked good enough to take all three points. But Chi were having a good finish to the match and scored with five minutes to go. Cue the only home chant of the afternoon, 'who are ya?'. Moments later both teams were down to ten men after a nasty challenge from a Chi player, a general melee of players and retaliation from a Pompey player. The rain came, but no-one left, and indeed more people joined the crowd as other matches finished. The tension ratcheted up, but there were no further incidents and I left to the sound of the Portsmouth fraternity still abusing the opposition.

There are two pitches directly north of the campus and next to the student union - which was open for alcoholic, soft and hot beverages throughout the game. There is a separate pavillion for the players and our pitch, luckily, was roped off on the near side. It also has a slightly elevated view at one end from which I could watch all the shenanigans on and off the pitch. Most enjoyable!

Park View 3-1 Aston Clinton was as stark a contrast as you can get from the BUCS game: Inner City location, big stand, terracing, a 3g pitch and ... no noise from a crowd of less than thirty spectators. On the other hand, the standard of play was much higher and, I thought, very good for step seven. Aston Clinton played well going forward but lost the game in defence.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2018, 7:15 AM

Post #4 of 14 (2488 views)
Shortcut

....Oh the curse of w**k which intervened for the nth occasion meaning that the possibility of a tick at London Lions was out of reach. Instead the well travelled path to Cricklefield Stadium for...

Ilford 0 v 4 FC Romania - Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy Semi Fnal
Prog 16 pages (Retro style and smaller than the usual size) - Admission £5.00 - Att I am sure I heard the number 61 mentioned

....And needless to say that the pitch although completely playable was a veritable mud heap.

Major problem pre match was getting any form of team line up's due to the committee bod in charge of these matters leaving under what is clearly a matter of conjecture, circumstances which allegedly involved nefarious and illegal activities. With assistance largely pieced together what was required, though there were a couple of gaps with the knot of English supporters who have latched onto watching FC Romania not being able to add surnames.

Not surprisingly many of the crowd in attendance were originally from all points Craiova, Constanta & Cluj and they were there normal raucous selves trying to add some semblance of atmosphere to the athletics ground environs. However, can fully understand why FC Romania would attract plaudits and supports from others as they are an attractive team to watch and there is always the chance that you will see a touch, pass or a shot on goal of a quality that is not normally associated with the ESL.

This contest which was one such occasion where they showed what they were capable of strolling to a very easy win. At times they lose possession too easily and there is always the fear that their Italianesque passing movements will be thrown out of kilter by burly challenges from uncompromising opponents. On this occasion an Ilford display best described as limp allowed the visitors to play their natural game and win with commensurate ease.

Two early goals set them on their way. The first from Teleoca was perfectly met on the half volley from the edge of the area and initially fooled those watching as to whether it was a goal or not as it bounced back off the stanchion. The second an equally well struck first time effort from the edge of the area was from 'Anton' who surname eluded and there is no reference to an 'Anton' in the Full Time listing of FC Romania players on Full Time.

In between Romania's two goals, Whitelock should have levelled for the hosts but ghosting in between two defenders he simply allowed Nkosi's cross to brush off his forehead and deliver a simple save for Darabant,

A close range touch in from Latan early in the second half after a low cross in from Teleoca ended the game as a contest and to plagiarise GC sitting behind the second half was a bit of a 'chore' to watch. Burgess with a gaping goal in front contrived to send his shot virtually onto the running track, with an effort which summed up Ilford's evening. To conclude a mundane second period, Pitaru scored an easy 4th placing past a woefully underprotected Clarke and this overall was one of the most one sided contests seen this season.

Bog standard journeys in both directions with a slightly late running bus between Ilford and Barking allowing a swift pint of Elland's yummy White Prussian at the Barking branch of Mr Martin's empire....

(This post was edited by timmy tabby on Mar 8, 2018, 7:40 AM)

pokal02
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2018, 9:00 AM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #5 of 14 (2345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Wednesday 7th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Selston 1-3 Birstall U
emcl
Att h/c 55 Adm £4 Prog £1 Coffee 50p

Village rec ground shared with cricket, small seated stand 1/4 way down far side with a 2-row covered terrace on half way line. Top end hardstanding, bottom end not, other side I think out of bounds. Small car park in which I got the last space at 18:50.

Ill-tempered game which turned on a red card for home No.3 on 51 mins for an indisciplined kick at 0-0. The away No2 started a mass brawl by shoving an opponent to the ground but wasn't even spoken to. Birstall took the lead on 67 when the keeper saved a free kick but the rebound fell kindly to an away forward. The hosts equalised on 79 when a through ball found No11 who finished first time. A corner for Birstall was headed on and turned in on 85 mins with a pen on 90+4 completing the scoring.

M1 closed at J25A on the way home with no proper diversion leading me to enjoy the outskirts of Derby for a bit before I found my way home arriving at 0045.

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2018, 10:13 AM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #6 of 14 (2220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Wednesday 7th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I met one of my sons at

Western League Premier Division
Cadbury Heath 3 Bitton 3
Attendance 85
Admission £4 (incl the last programme)

Very local derby, which looked to be heading for a comfortable away win at half time, with Bitton 2 up despite not being very good.

The second half was much better entertainment, with Cadbury Heath scoring twice in 3 minutes, on 67 and 70, with both shots going in off the post.

On 76, Bitton were awarded a penalty, hotly contested, but with no VAR the referee did not change his decision. I thought justice was done when the penalty was blocked by the keeper.

Cadbury Heath took the lead on 88, with an excellent long range lob in over the away keeper

In injury time, the away keeper came upfield and took the free kick which led to a scramble in the area and Bitton were able to claim a share of the points.

Entertaining match, spoiled for my son as we were leaving the ground as Juventus scored what proved to be the goal which eliminated Spurs from the Champions League

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 8, 2018, 10:29 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #7 of 14 (2191 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] Wednesday 7th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Team Dudley 0 Old Wulfrunians 3 (West Midlands Regional League Division 1) Att: 58 h/c

This was a comfortable win for the visitors, who were never really troubled by the home forwards - TD seem to be missing leading scorer Chris Knight, who is now at Lye Town. I didn't think much of the visitors, either: the standard seemed a good way below the Midland Football League game of equivalent level I saw at Droitwich the previous evening. Still, it was reasonable entertainment and very good value for a quid, which included a pretty decent programme. Best of all, it is good to have a team actually playing in Dudley after so many years. Surprisingly low loony count, I thought, but good to see some familiar faces, and particularly good to exchange a few Ratty tales with Mr Smallman, who was the provider of a very fine cup of tea.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 8, 2018, 11:12 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #8 of 14 (2126 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
South Midlands Premier
CRAWLEY GREEN 3-2 HODDESDON TOWN
Admission & doorstop £7.00 Tea/Coffee £1.00 each

After a gap of five weeks encompassing an entire calendar month without a midweek game for possibly the first time, normal service was resumed on Bartonís notorious pitch which played up quite well. The errant floodlight has still not been replaced although the light from the others was sufficient for the difference not to be noticed. There were even some fans here although I suspect they were all from the Hoddesdon persuasion and they were augmented by three stooges who stood behind the goal Hoddesdon were attacking yet strangely showed no reaction when they scored and also found the car park beneath them, using one of the spaces outside the pavilion instead.

As for the game, it was first blood to Hoddesdon after ten minutes, but this woke Crawley Green up and they turned it round with an excellent free kick followed by the easiest walk-in goal Iíve ever seen from (I presume) Charlie Clayton whose goals may well keep Crawley Green in the Premier Division on their own. Although Hoddesdon equalised just before half time, Crawley Green were not to be denied and scored the winner in the second half.

Drinks were a bit of a disaster with the barlad spilling some of my coffee by banging his hand against the beer taps and as for the tea, I trust that on my return next week, the great Barton-Le-Clay milk famine will have eased. Cool

Also here. You are obviously correct about the light from the other floodlights being sufficient as I didn't notice the errant one Blush. A decent enough game for which I only paid £6 admission as I didn't feel the need to acquire any paper.

villan
First Team Regular

Mar 8, 2018, 12:47 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa-Newport County-

Post #9 of 14 (1990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Wednesday 7th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My first midweek non league outing of 2018 in fact since Walton Casuals on 14/11/17. My original plan was Bishops Lydeard but I could not obtain a definite game on & some heavy showers forecast in the west so on seeing posting from Splodge re game on at Overton decided that was safer bet especially as BL have a scheduled game next Wednesday as well.

Hampshire Premier league senior division Overton United 2-1 QK Southampton, no programme or admission charge ATT H/C 39

I thought this was an entertaining encounter with outcome in doubt until the end but hosts just about deserving all the points. OU lead after 7mins from a free kick from 20 yards which the keeper seemed to allow to go through him low down near his right hand post. Visitors equalised after circa 30 mins whilst I was taking a comfort break A shot from edge of area won the game for hosts circa 5mins after break. The game became a bit feisty at times & certainly kept my interest to the end despite the temperature dropping to be quite chilly.
Despite having good floodlights this venue is a long way short of grading for step6. There is no cover & little hard standing & no seats. A small car park is inside ground behind goal but I managed to park in narrow road adjacent to ground. Excellent pint in Red Lion in village pre match which was a good upmarket pub with 2 beers from Bowman on offer. Post game Watership Down in Freefolk provided a decent pint of Alton Pride from Triple fff brewery.
Travel down was uneventful but return required a detour along M4 caused by A34 closure at that point but this added less than 10mins to my journey. A good evening out.

End 2016-17, Total Grounds 1308

New grounds 2017/18 57

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Mar 8, 2018, 12:50 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #10 of 14 (1980 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Wednesday 7th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NCEL - Premier Division:

Albion Sports 0 Pontefract Collieries 1

Admission £5 - very limited number of progs available (I didn't get one but wouldn't have bought one anyway) - Attendance 91

A return to midweek non league football for me, after a two month plus layoff. I saw the reverse of this game in August, when a free scoring Ponte were racking up the goals for fun. Based on the evidence of last night, they have either lost a couple of players or the long hard season is catching up with them, as they looked a shadow of the side I watched a couple of times earlier this season.

Both teams created chances and the game was relatively even. I think Albion can count themselves unlucky not to get a point from this game, which was settled just before half time, when Aaron Moxam's clever header gave Ponte the lead and ultimately the three points.

The game descended in to a bit of a niggle fest in the second half, which wasn't helped by the referee, who I didn't feel was strong enough at certain points of the game. Blatant shoves were being missed, when yellow cards should have been brandished and when you don't punish such offences, the players keep pushing the boundaries. He wasn't helped by the total lack of support from the 'assistant referee' who don't really deserve the title, when all they do is check the subs, give offsides and throw ins and little else (why wander on to the pitch when players are pushing and shoving if you then don't voice an opinion to the Ref or provide him with any help?).

When you go to a game more or less straight from work, I don't feel that it's too much to expect some hot food at a step six (or above) club. Albion's landlord, Farsley Celtic, provide a decent array of food but the underwhelming choice of crisps and chocolate bars on offer last night (which was fairly chilly) is frankly unacceptable.

Apologies for the above gripes. I'm normally a positive and passionate supporter of the non league game but I was disappointed last night with the fare on offer (both on and off the pitch). One thing that was up to the expected standard was the company, with some of the areas local neutrals in attendance, including my Dad and Ian J.

pokal02
First Team Star

Mar 8, 2018, 4:52 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #11 of 14 (1667 views)
Shortcut

Official attendance at Selston was 67. There must have been 12 hiding in the tea hut!

Dribble!
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 8, 2018, 9:48 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #12 of 14 (1393 views)
Shortcut

Warboys Town 0 Moulton Harrox 11 (eleven)
Peterborough and District League
Forge Way

Admission: Free
Programme: Nil
Attendance: 36 h/c

Attracted to this step 7 game, as desperate for a game after the snow and knowing the club was a former Eastern Counties League side.

Large sports field shared with cricket, pitch railed on 3 sides with rope on the cricket square side. Hard standing on the side with a breeze block stand, standing only but with an elevated part of the stand giving a great view. In front of the stand were two breeze block dugouts. Hard standing behind one goal with a path leading to the club house and changing rooms. 4 floodlight poles with a 5th smaller floodlight behind the far goal. Pitch was in good condition when you think of all the snow and rain we have had recently.

The visitors were close to the top of the table and Warboys were mid table, and within 5 minutes the visitors went ahead and they had added a further 4 more goals by half time, they took their foot off the gas for part of the second half but then went on a scoring spree near the end with a final goal total of 11.

Eleven goals and the Warboys keeper made some great saves, but it was like boys v men, not even sure Warboys had any subs. Moulton were fitter and had a far higher skill level. Obvious big gap in standards between the top sides and the rest of the division.

The club house was small but welcoming, hot drinks and a full bar, packed by a large group of people watching the Spurs game.

Last New Ground: Haringey Borough; Games in 2017-18 Season = 117; New Grounds this Season = 60
Next scheduled game: Next season!

http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

mxhornet
First Team Sub

Mar 9, 2018, 7:20 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #13 of 14 (1073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Wednesday 7th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Norwich United - 4 Dereham Town - 0
Norfolk Senior Cup Semi Final
The FDC @ Bowthorpe
Attendance - 166 (official)
Admission - £5 / Programme - £1

A surprislingly comfortable win for NU against their higher ranked rivals, a goal halfway through the first half was all seperated the sides until NU looked to have secured their final place win 10 minutes remaining, but another couple of goals in added time made sure.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 700 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

hemelhopper
First Team Regular

Mar 10, 2018, 1:55 AM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #14 of 14 (674 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Wednesday 7th March [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Balham 3-2 Horley Town (Combined Counties League, Premier Division)
- played at The Wibbandune .. home of Colliers Wood United FC from 7.30pm

Att Ė approx. 40 (h/c); Entry £7 and programme £1 (obtained from a roving turnstile holding a Tupperware box); No refreshment taken.
Weather Ė dry out .. with the pitch holding up well, if soggy in part.
Travel Ė A3 .. there and back .. one hour each way.
Colours Ė Balham in all black, with white central panels to front and back of shirts .. The Clarets wearing it all over.

Well Iíd not seen Balham play before .. love watching Horley .. and itís probably over three years now, since I first called into the Wibbandune .. which all looked the same from memory .. the well organised packed car park, adjacent the A3 .. a veranda attached to Clubhouse and dugouts .. where friendly souls awaited inside and out .. the main stand over far side, some cover down the far right and the key clamp barrier surrounding tonightís pitch .. with just a few crash barriers harmonising the odd gap or two .. a lovely setting .. and one I must see iometime in the daylight, when next passing.

As for the game .. a very enjoyable one .. Horley playing down the slope first half and quickly got going with an early corner and header into top left, to send them on their way .. but not for long, as an equaliser came from a host header at the far post up the other end. The visitors should have taken the lead three minutes later but their clean header from six yards hit the keeper .. but with pressure eventually mounting on the half hour, a lob over the defensive line allowed ball to drop and get volleyed into top left .. which ultimately gave a score line of 1-2 at Half Time but not before our hosts had missed a pen on 31, when the keeper dived well to his left to palm the ball away.

Second half was much better from Balham, being quicker about the pitch and somehow much more on the front foot .. their goals going in on 57 (slide pass, turn and shot) .. then on 66, when a break down the right brought the keeper out wide and then left stranded .. as a clipped cross eventually found a cool head to pick his spot .. and with the rest of the game not seeing too many chances created and those shots taken missing their targets .. it was just a case of wishing all a good night .. after yet another good one out in the Combined Counties League .. Smile

Grounds Visited = 461, Leagues done = 15 (32 to go); Games in 17-18 Season = 112; New Grounds this Season = 66; Goals seen this Season = 424; Ave goals / game = 3.77; Last new ground = Chicago Fire; Next Game = July 2018

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3