Shortcut
Thursday 22nd Feb Can't Post or Reply Privately

LETCHWORTH GARDEN CITY EAGLES 1
HITCHIN TOWN 1 (1-0 h/t) 2-3 PENALTY KICKS

VINCE PAIGE TROPHY
ADM: 3, ATT: c.70-80
Kick-off 7.30pm
Didn't see a programme

This game between two close north Herts neighbours was twofold - to celebrate the installation of the floodlights around the senior pitch and to remember Vince Paige, a Letchworth clubman who did much for the local community, with this year being the trophy's first.

Herts Senior league Eagles from Step 7 were at home to Step 3 Southern Premier league Hitchin on their Pixmore pitch located off the A505 (Baldock Road) between the Herts County ground and the Rugby Union pitch. It was my first visit as don't normally venture down to Step 7.

Both sides started with their first teams before making wholesale changes at half time. Eagles took the lead with a dubious penalty on ten minutes and frustrated Hitchin for the rest of the half. Former Hitchin player & manager Carl ''charlie'' Williams still turns out for the Eagles and played first half at number 6.
Second half Hitchin had two goals disallowed for offside and hit the post, before to some relief McNarmara scored about ten minutes from the end.
Straight to penalty kicks at full time which are Hitchin's forte this season and they lifted the trophy after winning 3-2 on spot kicks. Didn't hang about to actually see them lift the trophy as my fingers and toes had gone numb by that point as a hard frost began to set in.

I'd advise anybody planning to visit the ground by train to get off at Baldock and follow the A505 rather than Letchworth station which lies on the other side of town. The beer options are also far superior in Baldock compared to the Quaker town of Letchworth.

The six floodlights (three down each side) did a good job. Hard standing down one side and behind one goal, with grass and tree line behind the other goal and open field the other side. Pitch surrounded by flimsy white plastic 'lean-on'. Shelter with wooden seats behind the perspex dugouts. Club house was open with alcohol and hot food available (and where the toilets were located). Nice loud PA system.

totallyuntamed
First Team Regular

Feb 28, 2018, 4:17 PM

Team(s): Coventry City

Post #2 of 3 (558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HertsHopper] Thursday 22nd Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Europa League Round of 32 2nd Leg Atletico Madrid 1 Copenhagen 0 (5-1 on aggregate). Admission 40 euros (top tier of West Stand) Programme free (handed out outside the ground)

A most enjoyable stay in Madrid for a couple of days with a visit to Wanda Metropolitano for the favourites for the competition's largely academic meeting with Copenhagen. We travelled out on the metro which deposits you right outside the ground; the ticket hatch is about 100 yards further on and can't be missed - it is beyond a couple of club shops. It is some way from the city centre but the service is frequent and after the game we were away from the ground in less than 10 minutes from the final whistle and back at our Barajas base (very close to the airport) in under an hour.
The stadium is quite stunning with a 67,000 plus capacity with the roof coming a long way over the seats so that fans will be well protected from the hot sun and other elements. Lights are built into the roof and sight lines are quite simply superb. We were a long way from the action but had a wonderful view. I would certainly recommend a visit for anyone interested in stadium architecture as the highest specifications have been followed in its construction. You can walk all the way round the outside of the stadium and enjoy the spectacular sight. Interestingly there is a large amount of derelict land around the outside of the stadium which I surmised had been put aside for further stadia for Madrid's failed Olympics bid which the Metropolitano was originally started for.
Sadly the game was a massive non event with Atletico scoring their solitary goal in the same minute they had scored their solitary goal in a 1-0 win in the European tie I had seen them in their old stadium. They played Copenhagen off the park in the first 10 minutes and having scored a superb goal after 7 minutes, soon after decided they had done enough work to make sure of getting through. Copenhagen were simply outclassed. My money is going on Atletico for the trophy, which practically guarantees they won't win it!

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 28, 2018, 5:20 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #3 of 3 (498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totallyuntamed] Thursday 22nd Feb [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Europa League Round of 32 2nd Leg Atletico Madrid 1 Copenhagen 0 (5-1 on aggregate).
The stadium is quite stunning with a 67,000 plus capacity with the roof coming a long way over the seats so that fans will be well protected from the hot sun and other elements.

================================================
You manages their lowest European attendance in 44,035 whereas I managed their lowest league attendance v Getafe 47,106.
Only tested capacity twice , once v Barca 64,393 and against Real with 66,591.

================================================

I have impeccable credentials , sorry to be so curt but I have had my wrist slapped.
From July 1, 2017. 245/201/44. (You know my rules) @ 27/05/2018.
OK,Mick no bragging. I need a holiday.
Fussball zweite vereines existieren nicht

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3